DavidPogue_至简畅销【中英文对照】

1.Hello voicemail, my old friend.
语音信箱 我的老朋友?
2.(Laughter) I’ve called for tech support again.
(笑声) 我又打了技术支持电话?
3.I ignored my boss’ warning. I called on a Monday morning.
我没听老板的警告 在周一早上打的?
4.Now it’s evening, and my dinner first grew cold — and then grew mold.
现在已是晚上 我的食物先变凉 — 继而发霉?
5.I’m still on hold. I’m listening to the sounds of silence.
我仍被搁置 我正聆听着寂静之声?
6.I don’t think you understand. I think your phone lines are unmanned.
我觉得你不明白 我认为你们的电话线无人值守?
7.I punched every touch tone I was told, but I still spent 18 hours on hold.
我敲打了每个提示的按键? 但我还是被晾了18小时?
8.It’s not enough your software crashed my Mac and it constantly hangs and bombs — it erased my ROMS! Now the Mac makes the sounds of silence.
你们的软件不但宕了我的Mac? 还一直挂起和破坏 — 擦除了我的ROM! 现在那Mac? 发出了寂静之声?
9.In my dreams I fantasize of wreaking vengeance on you guys.
我在梦中幻想? 对你们实施报复?
10.Say your motorcycle crashes.
咒你摩托出了车祸?
11.Blood comes gushing from your gashes. With your fading strength, you call 9-1-1 and you pray for a trained MD. But you get me.
血流成河 你颤抖着? 拨了911 祈祷叫到专业医师 但却叫到了我?
12.(Laughter) And you listen to the sounds of silence.
(笑声) 于是你只听到寂静之声?
13.(Applause) Thank you. Good evening and welcome to “Spot the TED Presenter Who Used to Be a Broadway Accompanist.”
(掌声) 谢谢 晚上好 欢迎来到 — “见证曾是百老汇伴奏的TED演讲者”
14.(Laughter) OK. When I was offered the Times column six years ago, the deal was like this: you’ll be sent the coolest, hottest, slickest new gadgets.
(笑声) 当我在六年前得到纽约时报专栏的工作时 有人这样对我说: 你会拿到最酷 最热门 最华丽的新玩意儿
15.Every week it’ll arrive at your door.
每周都会被送到你家
16.You get to try them out, play with them, evaluate them until the novelty wears out, before you have to send them back.
你要试用它们 把玩它们 评估它们 玩厌了再把它们送回去
17.And you’ll get paid for it. You can think about it, if you want.
你还可以拿到工资 好好想想吧
18.So I’ve always been a technology nut, and I absolutely love it.
我一直都是个技术控 这工作太棒了
19.The job, though, came with one small downside. And that is, they intended to publish my email address at the end of every column.
然而这工作有个小缺点 那就是 我的email地址会出现在每个专栏底部
20.And what I’ve noticed is — first of all, you get an incredible amount of email.
对此我的体会是 — 首先 你会收到无数email
21.If you ever are feeling lonely, get a New York Times column, because you will get hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of emails. And the email I’m getting a lot
如果你感到孤单 就去找份纽约时报专栏的工作 因为你会收到成百 上千 上万的email。如今我收到最多的email
22.today is about frustration.
是有关挫折的
23.People are feeling like things — OK, I just had an alarm come up on my screen. Lucky you can’t see it.
人们感到 — 唔 我的屏幕上刚弹出一个通知 好在你们看不到
24.People are feeling overwhelmed. They’re feeling like it’s too much technology, too fast.
人们感到在被淹没 他们觉得有太多技术 更新太快
25.It may be good technology, but I feel like there’s not enough of a support structure.
有时候技术是好的 但我觉得在支持体系上还做得不够
26.There’s not enough help. There’s not enough thought put into the design of it to make it easy and enjoyable to use.
没有足够的帮助 没有足够的精力被用于 设计易用和人们乐于使用的产品
27.One time I wrote a column about my efforts to reach Dell Technical Support. And within 12 hours, there were 700 messages from readers on the feedback boards
有一次我写了篇专栏 记录了我呼叫戴尔技术支持的经历 不到12小时 纽约时报的网站上就出现了
28.on the Times website, from users saying, “Me too!” and, “Here’s my tale of woe.” I call it software rage.
超过700条读者留言。有人说 “我也是!” “这是我的伤心往事”。我称之为软件焦虑
29.And man, let me tell you, whoever figures out how to make money off of this frustration will — oh, how did that get up there? Just kidding.
老实说 懂得在这种挫折上动脑筋 从而赚钱的人会 — 哦 那东东怎么出来了? 开玩笑的
30.(Laughter) OK, so why is the problem accelerating? And part of the problem is, ironically, because the industry has put so much thought
(笑声) 那为何这问题越来越严重? 一方面的原因是 很讽刺的 因为行业花了大把精力
31.into making things easier to use.
为了使产品更易于使用
32.I’ll show you what I mean.
我来举个例子
33.This is what the computer interface used to look like, DOS.
这是以前计算机界面的样子 DOS
34.Over the years it’s gotten easier to use.
随着时间推移它变得更易于使用
35.This is the original Mac operating system.
这是原始的Mac操作系统
36.Reagan was President. Madonna was still brunette.
里根还是总统 麦当娜还是黑头发
37.And the entire operating system — this is the good part — the entire operating system fit in 211k.
整个操作系统 — 这就是好的地方 — 整个操作系统只有211k
38.You couldn’t put the Mac OS 10 logo in 211k!
Mac OS X的logo都不止211k!
39.(Laughter) So the irony is, that as these things became easier to use a less technical, broader audience were coming into contact with this equipment for the first time.
(笑声) 讽刺就在于 当这些东西变得更易于使用 更非技术 更广泛的受众就开始了与其的 第一次亲密接触
40.I once had the distinct privilege of sitting in on the Apple call center for a day.
我曾有幸在苹果的呼叫中心坐了一天
41.The guy had a duplicate headset for me to listen to.
接线员给了我一个旁听的耳麦
42.And the calls that — you know how they say, “Your call may be recorded for quality assurance?”
那些通话 — 你知道他们是怎么说的 “为保证服务质量,您的通话可能会被录音”
43.Mm-Mmm. Your call may be recorded so that they can collect the funniest dumb user stories and pass them around on a CD.
唔唔 您的通话可能会被录音 于是他们就能够收集最好玩的小白用户故事 刻成CD分发
44.(Laughter) Which they do.
(笑声) 他们真的做了
45.(Laughter) And I have a copy.
(笑声) 我有份拷贝
46.(Laughter) It’s in your gift bag. No, no.
(笑声) 就在你的礼物包里。不不
47.With your voices on it.
里面有你的声音
48.So some of the stories are just so classic, and yet so understandable.
有些故事堪称经典 然而也非常容易理解
49.A woman called Apple to complain that her mouse was squeaking — making a squeaking noise.
一位女性向苹果抱怨说 她的鼠标在吱吱叫 — 发出嘎吱嘎吱的响声
50.And the technician said, “Well, ma’am, what do you mean your mouse is squeaking?”
技术人员问 “女士, 您的鼠标在吱吱叫是什么意思?”
51.She says, “All I can tell you is that it squeaks louder the faster I move it across the screen.”
她说 “我只知道 我让它在屏幕上动得越快它就叫得越响”
52.(Laughter) And the technician’s like, “Ma’am, you’ve got the mouse up against the screen?”
(笑声) 技术人员又问 “女士, 您把鼠标贴在屏幕上动?”
53.She goes, “Well, the message said, ‘click here to continue.'”
她说 “提示里讲, ‘点此处继续.'”
54.(Laughter) Well, if you like that one, how much time have we got?
(笑声) 如果你们喜欢那个故事…还剩多少时间?
55.Another one, a guy called. This is absolutely true!
另一个男人的真实故事!
56.His computer had crashed, and he told the technician he couldn’t restart it no matter how many times he typed 11.
他的电脑宕机了 他告诉技术人员 他无法重启电脑 不管他输入多少次11
57.And the technician said, “What? Why are you typing 11?” He said, “The message says, ‘Error Type 11.'”
技术人员说 “啥? 您为啥要输入11?” 他说, “提示里讲, ‘错误输入(类型)11.'”
58.(Laughter) So we must admit that some of the blame falls squarely at the feet of the users.
(笑声) 因此我们必须承认我们无法指责用户
59.But why is the technical overload crisis, the complexity crisis, accelerating now? In the hardware world, it’s because we the consumers want everything to be smaller, smaller, smaller.
但是为何技术超载危机 复杂度危机 正在加速呢? 在硬件行业中 因为我们消费者希望东西更小 更小 更小
60.So the gadgets are getting tinier and tinier but our fingers are essentially staying the same size.
因此那些小玩意儿也变得越来越小 但我们的手指还是原来大小
61.So it gets more and more of a challenge.
因此行业正不断面临挑战
62.Software is subject to another primal force: the mandate to release more and more versions.
软件行业则面临另一个问题 强制发布越来越多的版本
63.When you buy a piece of software, it’s not like buying a vase or a candy bar, where you own it.
如果你买了个花瓶 或是块糖 你可以拥有它. 但如果是软件
64.It’s more like joining a club where you pay dues every year.
则更像是加入俱乐部 每年缴纳会费
65.And every year, they say, “We’ve added more features and we’ll sell it to you for 99 dollars.”
于是每年 他们都会说 “我们加入了更多功能, 只卖$99.”
66.I know one guy who’s spent 4000 dollars just on Photoshop over the years.
我认识有人多年来单在Photoshop上就花了$4000
67.And software companies make 35 percent of their revenue from just these software upgrades.
软件公司将它们收益的35% 用于这些软件升级
68.I call it the Software Upgrade Paradox — which is that if you improve a piece of software enough times, you eventually ruin it.
我称之为 软件升级佯谬 — 当你增强一个软件足够多次 你最终会毁了它
69.I mean, Microsoft Word was last just a word processor in, you know, the Eisenhower administration.
我是说 Microsoft Word仅仅是一个文字处理器的时代 还要追溯到艾森豪威尔
70.(Laughter) But what’s the alternative? Microsoft actually did this experiment. They said, “Well, wait a minute. Everyone complains that we’re adding so many features.
(笑声) 但替代方案在哪? 微软实际做过这个实验. 他们说 “等等. 每个人都抱怨说我们加入了太多特性
71.Let’s create a word processor that’s just a word processor.
让我们做一个单纯的文字处理器
72.Simple, pure, does not do web pages, is not a database.”
简单, 纯粹, 不编辑网页, 不是数据库.”
73.And it came out. It was called Microsoft Write.
于是就有了 Microsoft Write
74.And none of you are nodding in acknowledgment, because it died.
你们中没人知道它 因为它已死
75.It tanked. No one ever bought it.
它被打入冷宫 没人买过它
76.I call this the Sport Utility Principle. People like to surround themselves with unnecessary power, right?
我称之为 运动器械原则. 人们喜欢将自己包围在 非必须的能力中
77.They don’t need the database and the website, but they’re like, “Well, I’ll upgrade, because, I might, you know. I might need that someday!”
他们不需要数据库和网站 但是他们会想 “好, 我要升级, 因为我或许有一天会需要它!”
78.So the problem is, as you add more features, where are they going to go?
问题是 当你加入更多特性 它们会在哪儿?
79.Where are you going to stick them? You only have so many design tools.
你会把它们放在哪里? 你有那么多设计工具
80.You can do buttons; you can do sliders, pop-up menus, sub-menus.
你可以做出按钮 滑块 弹出菜单 子菜单
81.But if you’re not careful about how you choose, you wind up with this.
但如果你不仔细选择的话 就会变成这样
82.(Laughter) This is an un-retouched — this is not a joke — un-retouched photo of Microsoft Word, the copy that you have, with all the toolbars open.
(笑声) 这是张未加修饰的 — 不是笑话 — 未加修饰的Microsoft Word的照片 你们都有的版本 打开了所有的工具条
83.You’ve obviously never opened all the toolbars, but all you have to type in is this little, teeny window down here.
显然你们从未打开过所有工具条 你们用于输入的就只是这~么小个窗口
84.(Laughter) And we’ve arrived at the age of interface matrices, where there are so many features and options, you have to do two dimensions, you know.
(笑声) 我们已进入了界面矩阵时代 有那么多特性和选项 你不得不做出2维的
85.A vertical and a horizontal. You guys all complained about how Microsoft Word is always bulleting your lists and underlining your links automatically.
垂直的和水平的. 你们都抱怨过 为什么Microsoft Word总是自动为列表加项目符号 为链接加下划线
86.The off switch is in there somewhere.
关闭选项就在某处
87.I’m telling you, it’s there!
我说真的 就在某处
88.Part of the art of designing a simple, good interface, is knowing when to use which one of these features.
设计一个简单界面的艺术 部分在于 知道何时使用何种特性
89.So here is the log off dialog box for Windows 2000.
这是Windows 2000的注销对话框
90.There are only four choices, so why are they in a pop-up menu?
只有4个选项 但为何是在弹出菜单里?
91.It’s not like the rest of the screen is so full of other components that you need to collapse the choices.
屏幕上剩下的地方并非满是其他组件 使得你需要折叠选项
92.They could have put them all out in view.
他们其实可以把选项放到外面
93.Here’s Apple’s take on the exact same dialog box.
这是苹果的同一个对话框
94.(Applause) Thank you — yes, I designed the dialog box. No, no, no.
(掌声) 谢谢 — 是我设计了这个对话框. 不不不
95.Already, we can see that Apple and Microsoft have a severely divergent approach to software design.
我们已经看到苹果和微软 对于软件设计有着相当不同的方法
96.Microsoft’s approach to simplicity tends to be: let’s break it down, let’s just make it more steps.
微软达到简单的方法是 拆分 采用更多的步骤
97.There are these wizards everywhere.
于是这些向导变得到处都是
98.And you know, there’s a new version of Windows coming out this fall.
你们知道 新版本的Windows今年秋天推出
99.If they continue at this pace, there’s absolutely no telling where they might wind up.
如果他们继续这么做 没人知道 他们会做成什么样
100.(Applause) Welcome to the Type-A-Word Wizard. OK, I’ll bite. Let’s click “next” to continue.
(掌声) 欢迎来到 输入一个单词 向导. 好吧 让我们点”下一步”继续
101.(Applause) From the drop-down menu, choose the first letter you want to type. OK.
(掌声) 从下拉菜单中, 选择您要输入的第一个字母. 恩
102.(Laughter) So there is a limit that we don’t want to cross. So what is the answer?
(笑) 因此我们做事要有限度 但答案在哪?
103.How do you pack in all these features in a simple, intelligent way?
如何才能将所有这些特性以简单 智能的方式包装起来?
104.I believe in consistency when possible, real-world equivalents, trashcan folder when possible, label things mostly.
我信仰 “保持一致” “真实对等” “使用回收站” “使用标注”
105.But I beg of the designers here to break all those rules if they violate the biggest rule of all, which is intelligence. Now what do I mean by that?
但我请求在场的设计师们 打破这些规则 如果它们抵触了最大一条规则 那就是”智能”. 什么意思呢?
106.I’m going to give you some examples where intelligence makes something not consistent, but it’s better.
我会举一些例子 说明智能让某些事物 失去一致 但却更好
107.If you are buying something on the web, you’re supposed to put in your address and you’re supposed to choose which country you’re from, okay?
比如你在网上购物 你需要输入你的地址 以及你所在的国家 好了
108.There are 200 countries in the world. We like to think of the Internet as a global village.
世界上有200多个国家. 我们常说互联网是地球村
109.I’m sorry, it’s not one yet.
对不起 它还不是
110.It’s mainly, like, the United States, Europe and Japan.
主要是美国 欧洲和日本
111.So why is United States in the “U”s?
但为何美国在”U”字部?
112.(Laughter) You have to scroll, like, seven screens-full to get to it.
(笑声) 你得要滚动7个屏才能找到它
113.Now it would be inconsistent to put United States first, but it would be intelligent. This one’s been touched on before, but why in God’s name do you shut down a Windows PC by clicking
虽然把美国放在第一位会不一致 但这显得智能. 另一个老故事 看在上帝的份上 为何关闭一台Windows PC时
114.a button called “Start?”
要点”开始”按钮?
115.(Laughter) Here’s another pet one of mine: you have a printer.
(笑声) 另一个我经常说的故事: 你有一台打印机
116.Most of the time, you want to print one copy of your document, in page order, on that printer.
大多数时候 你只想打印文档的一份拷贝 按照页码顺序排列
117.So why in God’s name do you see this every time you print?
看在上帝的份上 为何每次打印时你都会看到这个?
118.It’s like a 747 shuttle cockpit.
看上去就像747的驾驶舱
119.(Laughter) And one of the buttons at the bottom, you’ll notice, is not “Print.”
(笑声) 看这里底部的按钮 还不是”打印”
120.(Laughter) (Applause) Now, I’m not saying that Apple is the only company who has embraced the cult of simplicity.
(笑声) (掌声) 我不是说苹果是唯一一家 将简单视为信条的公司
121.Palm is also, especially in the old days, wonderful about this.
Palm也是 尤其是在过去 精于此道
122.I actually got to speak to Palm when they were flying high in the ’90s, and after the talk, I met one of the employees.
我曾在90年代Palm鼎盛时去作过演讲 结束后 我遇到一位员工
123.He says, “Nice talk.” And I said, “Thank you, what do you do here?”
他说 “很精彩” 我说 “谢谢, 你是做什么的?”
124.He said, “I’m a tap counter.”
他说 “我是点击计数员”
125.I’m like, “You’re what?” He goes, “Well, Jeff Hawkins, the CEO, says, ‘If any task on the Palm Pilot takes more than three taps of the stylus,
我说 “你是啥?” 他说 “我们的CEO Jeff Hawkins说 任何在Palm Pilot上的任务如果需要超过3次点击
126.it’s too long, and it has to be redesigned.’ So I’m the tap counter.”
那就太长了, 需要重新设计.’ 所以我是点击计数员.”
127.So I’m going to show you an example of a company that does not have a tap counter.
我来举个例子 如果一个公司没有 点击计数员
128.This is Microsoft Word, OK. When you want to create a new blank document in Word — it could happen!
这是Microsoft Word. 当你需要创建一个新文档 — 这是能做到的!
129.(Laughter) You go up to the File menu and you choose “New.” Now, What happens when you choose “New?” Do you get a new blank document?
(笑声) 你到”文件”菜单里选择”新建” 选了”新建”后会发生什么? 你得到新文档了么?
130.You do not.
没有
131.On the opposite side of the monitor, a task bar appears, and somewhere in those links — by the way, not at the top — somewhere in those links
在显示器的另一端 出现了一个任务栏 在这些链接之中 — 不是在顶部 顺带一提 —
132.is the button that makes you a new document.
有一个按钮会创建新文档
133.Okay, so that is a company not counting taps.
这就是不计算点击数的公司
134.You know, I don’t want to just stand here and make fun of Microsoft.
你们知道 我不想只是站在这里取笑微软
135.Audience: Go on.
听众: 继续
136.David Pogue: Yes, I do.
David Pogue: 当然
137.(Laughter) (Applause) The Bill Gates song!
(笑声) (掌声) 比尔盖茨之歌!
138.I’ve been a geek forever and I wrote the very first DOS.
我一直是个geek 我写了第一个DOS?
139.I put my software and IBM together; I got profit and they got the loss.
我把我的软件和IBM绑在一起? 我拿利润 他们拿亏损?
140.(Laughter) I write the code that makes the whole world run.
(笑声) 我的代码让全世界运转?
141.I’m getting royalties from everyone.
我向每个人收专利费?
142.Sometimes it’s garbage, but the press is snowed.
有时代码是垃圾 但媒体都已被忽悠?
143.You buy the box, I’ll sell the code.
你买硬件 我卖代码?
144.Every software company is doing Microsoft’s R&D.
每个软件公司都在做微软的研发?
145.You can’t keep a good idea down these days.
这年头你无法独享好点子?
146.Even Windows is a hack. We’re kind of based loosely on the Mac.
连Window也是个hack 松散地基于Mac?
147.So it’s big, so it’s slow. You’ve got nowhere to go. I’m not doing this for praise; I write the code that fits the world today.
因为它又大又慢 你没有其他选择 我不是为了受赞扬而工作? 我的代码适用于今天的世界?
148.Big mediocrity in every way.
各方面都平庸?
149.We’ve entered planet domination mode.
我们已进入行星统治模式?
150.You’ll have no choice, you’ll buy my code.
你没有选择 只能买我的代码?
151.I am Bill Gates and I write the code.
我是比尔盖茨 我写了代码?
152.(Applause) But actually, I believe there are really two Microsofts.
(掌声) 但事实上 我相信有两个微软
153.There’s the old one, responsible for Windows and Office.
旧的一个 要为Windows和Office负责
154.They’re dying to throw the whole thing out and start fresh, but they can’t. They’re locked in because so many add-ons and other company stuff locks into the old 1982 chassis.
他们渴望将旧东西扔掉 从头再来 但他们不能. 他们被锁住了 因为那么多插件 和其他公司的东西都被锁在了1982年的底盘里
155.But there’s also a new Microsoft that’s really doing good, simple interface designs.
但也有一家新的微软 做着好而简单的界面设计
156.I liked the Media Center PC. I liked the Microsoft SPOT Watch.
我喜欢Media Center PC. 我喜欢微软的SPOT手表
157.The Wireless Watch flopped miserably in the market, but it wasn’t because it wasn’t simply and beautifully designed.
这种无线手表可悲地在市场中受挫 但这不是因为它的设计简单和美观
158.Let’s put it this way: would you pay 10 dollars a month to have a watch that has to be recharged every night, like your cell phone, and stops working when you leave your area code?
这样说吧 你会买个手表 每个月付$10 每晚都要跟你的手机一样充电 当你离开你的区域代码时就会罢工么?
159.(Laughter) The signs might indicate that the complexity crunch is only going to get worse.
(笑声) 迹象表明复杂度危机只会变得更糟
160.So is there any hope? The screens are getting smaller.
还有希望吗? 屏幕正变得更小
161.People are illuminating, putting manuals in the boxes.
人们正在启蒙 把手册放进盒子里
162.The things are coming out at a faster pace.
新事物出现得越来越快
163.It’s funny — when Steve Jobs came back to Apple in 1997, after 12 years away, it was the MacWorld Expo.
有意思的是 — 当史蒂夫乔布斯1997年回到苹果 是在离开了12年之后 在MacWorld展会上
164.He came to the stage in that black turtleneck and jeans, and he sort of did this. The crowd went wild, but I’m like, where have I seen this before? I had just seen the movie “Evita” —
他站到台上 穿着那套黑色圆领毛衣和牛仔裤 他做了这个动作. 人群沸腾了 但我在想 我在哪里见过这个? 我刚看过电影”贝隆夫人” —
165.(Laughter) — with Madonna, and I’m like, you know what, I’ve got to do one about Steve Jobs.
(笑声) — 麦当娜主演. 你知道 我得为史蒂夫乔布斯唱上一曲
166.It won’t be easy. You’ll think I’m strange.
这不会简单. 你会认为我奇怪?
167.When I try to explain why I’m back after telling the press Apple’s future is black.
当我尝试解释为何我回来了? 在告诉媒体苹果的未来一片黑暗之后?
168.You won’t believe me.
你不会相信我?
169.All that you see is a kid in his teens who started out in a garage with only a buddy named Woz.
你所看到的只是个在车库发家的小屁孩? 和一个叫Woz的兄弟一起?
170.(Laughter) You try rhyming with garage!
(笑声) 你试试跟”车库”押韵!
171.(Laughter) Don’t cry for me, Cupertino.
(笑声) 别为我哭泣 库比蒂诺?
172.(Laughter) The truth is, I never left you.
(笑声) 我从未离开你们?
173.(Laughter) I know the ropes now, know what the tricks are.
(笑声) 我知道了内情 找到了诀窍?
174.I made a fortune over at Pixar.
我在皮克斯发了财?

ted演讲稿中英文对照

DavidMacaulay_《罗马异事》(台译本《鸽子的罗马》)【中英文对照】

2024-3-19 13:18:58

ted演讲稿中英文对照

DavidPogue_音乐战争【中英文对照】

2024-3-19 13:20:37

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索