DavidMacaulay_《罗马异事》(台译本《鸽子的罗马》)【中英文对照】

1.I draw to better understand things.
我画画是为了把事情弄得更明白
2.Sometimes I make a lot of drawings and I still don’t understand what it is I’m drawing.
有时候画得很多 却不明白自己究竟画的是什么。
3.Those of you who are comfortable with digital stuff, and even smug about that relationship, might be amused to know that the guy who is best known for “The Way Things Work,”
你们中间喜欢用数码产品的 甚至是以此为豪的人,可能听了我说会吃惊: 我因为画了《傻瓜通科技》出了点名,
4.while preparing for part of a panel for understanding, spent two days trying to get his laptop to communicate with his new CD burner.
可是在准备这书的座谈会的时候 自己花了两天才让电脑和刻录机愿意合作。
5.Who knew about extension managers?
你们谁知道什么“扩展程序管理器”?
6.I’ve always managed my own extensions.
我从来都是自己折腾这些插件
7.It never even occurred to me to read the instructions.
就从来没想过去读说明书
8.But I did figure it out. I had to figure it out, because along with the invitation came the frightening reminder that there would be no projector.
不过倒是自己摸索出来了,不然怎么行呢 因为在每次受邀参加活动的同时 都要得到一个可怕的提醒:现场可没有录像放映机
9.So bringing those carousels would no longer be necessary, but some alternate form of communication would.
所以我的转盘带子就白带了 不得不用其他法子。
10.Now, I could talk about something that I’m known for, something that would be appropriate for the more sort of technically-minded people here,
我本可以谈谈我的成名作品 可是它看起来似乎 更适合留心科技的人们
11.or I could talk about something that I care about.
要么我可以谈我在乎的东西
12.I decided to go with the latter.
我决定选择后者。
13.I’m going to talk about Rome.
我的话题是罗马。
14.Now, why would I care about Rome particularly?
为什么是罗马不是别的什么呢?
15.Well, I went to Rhode Island School of Design for architecture in the second half of the ’60s.
这么说吧,我在罗德岛设计学院读的建筑 那还是60年代下半段的事
16.I was lucky enough to spend my last year, my fifth year, in Rome as a student. It changed my life.
够幸运的是:我临毕业那年,就是第五年 是在罗马度过的。这改变了我的一生。
17.Not the least reason was that I spent those first four living at home — driving into RISD everyday, driving back.
挺重要的一点是改变了我上学在家两点一线的生活– 开车去学校,再开回来。
18.I missed the ’60s. I read about them.
我想念60年代。有时还读写60年代的书
19.I understand that they were pretty interesting. I missed them.
那是个有趣的时代,真想念它。
20.But I did spend that extraordinary year in Rome.
在罗马的一年也是非比寻常。
21.It’s a place that’s never far from my mind.
是个时常让我怀念的地方。
22.So whenever given an opportunity, I try to do something in it or for it.
一旦有点机会 我就要在罗马,或者为罗马做点事儿
23.I also make drawings to help people understand things.
我画画来帮大家理解一些东西
24.Things that I want them to believe that I understand.
希望人们相信我懂那些东西。
25.And that’s what I do as an illustrator.
这就是插图画家的工作。
26.That’s my job.
我的本行。
27.So I’m going to show you some pictures of Rome.
所以让你们看看罗马的一些画
28.I’ve made a lot of drawings of Rome over the years.
这些年来我画了许多罗马的画
29.These are just drawings of Rome. I get back as often as possible.
画归画,我也尽量经常回罗马看看
30.I need to.
必须这样。
31.All different materials, all different styles, all different times.
那些不同的材料、风格、时期
32.Drawings from sketchbooks, looking at the details of Rome.
画画草图,注意罗马的各种细节
33.Part of the reason I’m showing you these is that it sort of helps illustrate part of what I go through with trying to figure out what I feel about Rome and why I feel it.
我给你们看这些或许因为 它们有助于解释我的经历 表达我对罗马的感情和如此感受的原因。
34.These are sketches of some of the little details.
一些小细节就这样被记录下来。
35.Rome is a city full of surprises.
罗马是个充满惊奇的城市。
36.I mean, we’re talking about unusual perspective.
我这里指的是不寻常的观察角度
37.We’re talking about narrow little winding streets that suddenly open up into vast, sun-drenched piazzas — though piazzas that are humanly scaled.
比如说蜿蜒的窄街 突然引向巨大的,满溢着阳光的广场– 这些广场大得惊人
38.Part of the reason is that they grew it organically.
或许因为人们让它有机地成长。
39.That amazing juxtaposition of old and new, the bits of light that come down between the buildings that sort of create a map that’s traveling about your head —
新与旧如此奇特地并立 建筑之间漏下的几线光芒 似乎在你的脑海里产生一幅游动的地图–
40.usually blue, especially in the summer — compared to the maps that you would expect to see of conventional streets.
通常是蓝色的,尤其在夏天– 比起你平时在街上看到的 是如此得不同。
41.And I began to think about how I could communicate this in book form.
我寻思如何让读者身临其境。
42.How could I share my sense of Rome, my understanding of Rome?
分享我这奇异的“罗马感”, 我所体会的罗马?
43.And I’m going to show you a bunch of dead ends, basically.
这是罗马的一些死胡同
44.The primary reason for all these dead ends is that if you’re not sure where you’re going, you’re not going to get there with any kind of efficiency.
让你们知道在罗马 如果不熟悉路,恐怕很长时间 也到不了目的地
45.Here’s a little map — and I thought of maps at the beginning.
这是张小地图–开始我就想到了地图。
46.Maybe I should just try and do a little atlas with my favorite streets and connections in Rome.
或许该画一个小地理图 收录罗马城里我最爱的街巷
47.And here’s a line of text that actually evolves from the exhaust of a scooter zipping across the page.
这儿的一行字我弄成了 一辆小摩托车喷出的尾气
48.Here that same line of text wraps around a fountain in an illustration that can be turned upside down and read both ways.
这行字转过了一座喷泉 这幅画正过来倒过去都行。
49.Maybe that line of text could be a story to give some human aspect to this.
这行字可以是一个故事 给这些图添上一些人性的温情。
50.Maybe I should get away from this map completely, and really be honest about wanting to show my favorite bits and pieces of Rome.
或许我应该抛开地图 坦诚展示我偏爱的罗马的那些部分
51.And simply kick a soccer ball, which happens in so many of the squares in Rome, and just let it bounce off of things. And I’ll simply explain
就这么踢上一脚球, 就像罗马许多广场上能看到的一样 让它弹来弹去。而我来解释
52.about each of the things that the soccer ball hit.
球弹到的不同东西。
53.That seemed like sort of a cheap shot.
看起来像是个雕虫小技。
54.But even though I just started this presentation, this is not the first thing that I tried to do, and I was getting sort of desperate.
可是尽管我刚开始这么画, 这却不是我尝试的首个方案, 我有点急得饥不择食了
55.Eventually I realized that I had no content that I could count on, and I decided to move towards packaging.
最终我发现没有什么可依赖的内容 就决定把注意力转向包装
56.I mean, it seems to work for a lot of little things.
对于好多小东西这招还挺奏效的。
57.So I thought a little box set of four small books might do the trick.
于是我想一个书箱装四本小书的设计挺巧的
58.But one of the ideas that emerged from some of those sketches was traveling through Rome in different vehicles at different speeds to show the different aspects of Rome.
但是后来产生的一个想法 是坐在不同交通工具上 用不同速度穿越罗马。 展现罗马城的各个角度
59.Sort of an overview of Rome that you might see from a dirigible.
比如你在飞船上鸟瞰罗马的景象。
60.Quick snapshots of things that you might see from a speeding motor scooter, and very slow.
或者边抢拍各种东西的照片 边在摩托上疾驰,或者是慢慢地看
61.Walking through Rome, you might be able to study in more detail the wonderful surfaces and whatnot that you come across.
步行于罗马,你能更细致入微地欣赏 那些美妙的线条和难以名状的东西
62.Anyways, I went back to the dirigible notion, went to Alberto Santos-Dumont.
不管怎样,我回到了那个飞船的点子上 找了找航空先驱杜蒙的资料
63.Found one of his dirigibles that had enough dimensions.
找到了一个他设计的够大的飞行器
64.So I could actually use it as a scale that I could actually juxtapose with some of the things in Rome.
用它做一个标尺 和罗马城的东西放一块儿,显出它们的尺寸
65.This thing would either be flying over or past or be parked in front of, but it would be sort of like a ruler — sort of travel through the pages — without being a ruler.
飞船就飞越或者从旁边飞过 或者停在它们前面,作用就像一把尺子– 横穿全书–尽管不是尺子。
66.Not that you know how long number 11 actually is, but you would be able to compare number 11 against the Pantheon with number 11 against the Baths of Caracalla,
并不是要告诉你11号飞船有多长 而是你能把它和万神殿相对照 或者和卡拉卡拉浴室对照
67.and so on and so forth. If you were interested.
等等等等,如果你乐意的话。
68.This is Beatrix, she has a dog named Ajax.
这位是碧翠丝,她有只狗叫阿贾克斯。
69.She has purchased a dirigible, a small dirigible.
她买了一艘飞船,小型飞船
70.She’s assembling the structure.
她正在组装各部件。
71.Ajax is sniffing for holes in the balloon before they set off.
阿贾克斯钻进气球用鼻子检查有没有漏洞
72.She launches this thing above the Spanish Steps, and sets off for an aerial tour of the city.
她在西班牙阶梯上起飞 开始空中的环城旅行
73.Over the Spanish Steps we go.
我们就飞越了西班牙阶梯
74.A nice way to sort of show that river, that stream, sort of pouring down the hill.
这样展示山丘上淌下的河流小溪真好。
75.Unfortunately, just across the road from it, or quite close by, is the column of Marcus Aurelius.
不走运的是,路对面刚好就是 马可·奥略留记功柱
76.And the diameter of the dirigible makes an impression, as you can see, as she starts trying to read the story that spirals around the column of Marcus Aurelius, gets a little too close, nudges it.
你现在知道飞船的直径有多大了 正如你所见,她开始阅读记功柱上环绕的故事 靠得有点太近了,就碰了它一下
77.This give me a chance to suggest to you the structure of the column of Marcus Aurelius, which is really no higher than a pile of quarters.
这个场景让我能画出 马可·奥略留记功柱的结构 其实不比那一堆房子高
78.High, thick quarters. Over the Piazza of St. Ignacio — completely ruining the symmetry, but that aside — a spectacular place to visit.
又高又密的房子,在圣依那爵广场上空看来– 整个毁了对称感,可是除了这点– 是个超棒的地方。
79.A spectacular framework inside of which, you see — usually — extraordinary blue sky.
广场是个超棒的画框,透过那里面,通常来说 你看到特别蔚蓝的天。
80.Over the Pantheon and the 26-foot-diameter oculus.
在万神殿和它直径26英尺的天孔上方
81.She parks her dirigible, lowers the anchor-rope and climbs down for a closer look inside.
她停下飞船,放下缆绳 爬下来近距离地观察。
82.The text is right side and upside down so that you are forced to turn the book around, and you can see it from ground point of view
文字从右起,又是上下颠倒的,你就不得不 把书倒过来,于是你能从地面的角度
83.and from her point of view, looking in the hole getting a different kind of perspective.
和她的角度,望向天孔 这倒是种别样的视角。
84.Moving you around the space. Particularly appropriate in a building that can contain, perfectly, a sphere, dimensions of the diameter being the same
这让你在空间中移动。而尤其适合 在一幢正好包含着球体的建筑里, 直径的尺度都和
85.as the distance from the center of the floor to the center of the oculus.
从地面的中心到天孔的中心的距离相等。
86.Unfortunately for her, the anchor line gets tangled around the feet of some Boy Scouts who are visiting the Pantheon, and they are immediately yanked out
有点不妙,缆绳缠在了 一些正在参观万神殿的童军的脚上 他们立刻就被拽了出去
87.and given an extraordinary but terrifying tour of some of the domes of Rome which would, from their point of view, naturally be hanging upside down.
开始一段特别又惊险的观光旅程 从他们的角度看来罗马城的石拱 自然而然就是上下颠倒的
88.They bail out as soon as they get to the top of Saint Ivo, that little spiral structure you see there.
他们一到达圣依华教堂就下船了, 就是那个螺旋形的结构。
89.She continues on her way to the Piazza Navona.
她则继续游览到了那佛那广场
90.Notices a lot of activity at the Tre Scalini restaurant, reminding her that it’s lunchtime, and she’s hungry.
在Tres Palini饭店看到一大群人 这提醒她该吃午饭了,她也饿了
91.They keep on motoring towards the Campo de Fiori, which they soon reach. Ajax the dog is put in the basket and lowered, with a list of food, into the marketplace.
他们继续驶向鲜花广场, 很快就到了。小狗阿贾克斯被放在篮子里 吊下来,随身带了张食品采购清单就进了市场
92.Which flourishes there until about one in the afternoon and then is completely removed, and doesn’t appear again until six or seven the following morning.
直到下午一点,市场都生意红火 接着一溜烟地就收摊了 到第二天六七点才会回来。
93.Anyway, the pooch gets back to the dirigible with the stuff.
还别说,小狗还真把东西带回了飞船。
94.Unfortunately, when she goes to unwrap the prosciutto, Ajax makes a lunge for it.
不幸的是当她撕开火腿包装的时候, 阿贾克斯扑了上来。
95.She’s managed to save the prosciutto, but in the process, she loses the tablecloth, which you can see flying away in the upper left-hand corner.
最终火腿倒是得救了, 可是搏斗过程中桌布掉了下去 你看它飘到左上角去了。
96.They continue without their tablecloth, looking for a place to land this thing so they can actually have lunch.
他们决定干脆就不要桌布吧, 于是想找个地方降落吃午饭。
97.They eventually discover a huge wall filled with small holes, ideal for docking a dirigible, because you have a place to tie it.
最后发现了一堵巨墙 上面都是小洞,用来停泊飞船挺理想的 因为你好系绳子。
98.Turns out to be the exterior wall, that part of it that remains, of the Coliseum.
回头发现那居然是 大竞技场残留的外墙。
99.So they park themselves there and have a terrific lunch and have a spectacular view.
他们就在此停船,饱餐一顿 顺便欣赏美景。
100.At the end of lunch, they untie the anchor, they set off through the Baths of Caracalla and over the walls of the city in an abandoned gatehouse.
吃过了饭,他们又起锚出发了 穿过卡拉卡拉浴室,飞越了城墙 从一个废弃的门楼里面横贯而过。
101.And decide to take one more look at the Pyramid of Cestius, which has its lightning rod on top.
接着又要去看一眼赛斯提乌斯的金字塔 它顶上插了杆避雷针。
102.Unfortunately, that’s a problem. They get a little too close — and when you’re in a dirigible you have to be very careful about spikes.
这时麻烦来了:他们靠得有点儿太近了– 开飞船的时候 切记要小心尖头物体。
103.And that sort of brings her little story to a conclusion.
她的小故事看来要告一段落了。
104.Marcello, on the other hand is sort of a lazy guy, but he’s not due at work until noon.
另一个人,马尔切洛大概是个懒汉, 不过他中午才需要去上班。
105.So the alarm goes off and it’s five to 12 or so.
闹钟响的时候已经12点缺5分了。
106.He gets up, leaps onto his scooter, races through the city past the church of Santa Maria della Pace, down the alleys, through the streets
他就起床,上车,扬长而去 驶过和平圣母教堂, 过街穿巷
107.that tourists may be wandering through.
从游人身边掠过。
108.Disturbing the quiet, backstreet sort of life of Rome at every turn.
每次上班都把罗马静谧的后街生活完全打乱。
109.That speed with which he is moving, I hope I have suggested in this little image — which, again, can be turned around and read from both sides,
我希望这幅图能表现这家伙的速度– 又是一张正着倒着都能看的图,
110.because there’s text on the bottom and text on the top, one of which is upside down in this image.
因为下面上面都有字 而有一边的字是倒着印的。
111.So he keeps on moving, approaching an unsuspecting waiter who is trying to deliver two plates of linguine in sort of a delicate white wine clam sauce
他一路向前,接近了一个毫不知情的侍者 正端着两碟子扁面条 浇了种精致的白葡萄酒蛤蜊酱汁
112.to diners who are sitting at a table just outside a restaurant in the street.
他正走向酒店街边座位上的客人。
113.Waiter catches on, but it’s too late.
侍者反应过来了,不过为时已晚。
114.And Marcello keeps moving in his scooter.
马尔切洛一往无前。
115.Everything he sees from this point is slightly affected by the linguine.
从现在起他看到的一切都跟面条扯上了点小关系。
116.But keeps on moving, because this guy’s got a job to do.
不过还得继续走,上班要紧。
117.Removes some scaffolding — one of the reasons that Rome remains the extraordinary place that it is: because of scaffolding and the determination
一路上拆了些脚手架–它们是 罗马依然保留着独特风韵的原因: 人们的修葺施工以及保护
118.to maintain the fabric, it is a city that continues to grow and adapt to the needs of the particular time in which it finds itself, or we find it.
城市规划结构的决心。罗马持续成长 来适应不同时代的需要 它自觉地如此,我们也加以推动。
119.Right through the Piazza della Rotonda, in front of the Pantheon, again wreaking havoc, and finally getting to work.
你看他横穿罗通达广场, 在万神殿前弄得一阵鸡飞狗跳,终于到了。
120.And Marchello, as it turns out, is the driver of the number 64 bus.
我们发现马尔切洛 是64路公交车的司机。
121.And if you’ve ridden the number 64 bus you know that it’s driven with the same kind of exuberance as Marchello demonstrated on his scooter.
如果你坐过64路车你就知道 这车开得 跟马尔切洛的摩托一个德性。
122.And finally Carletto — you see his apartment in the upper left-hand corner.
最后是卡尔莱托–他的公寓在左上角
123.He’s looking at his table.
他正凝视着桌子。
124.He’s planning to propose this evening to his girlfriend of 40 years.
今晚要向他谈了40年的女友求婚
125.And he wants it to be perfect.
他希望一切都做得尽善尽美
126.He’s got candles out, he’s got flowers in the middle and he’s trying to figure out where to put the plates and the glasses.
他摆开了蜡烛,放好了鲜花 正想着该把杯盘放在哪儿。
127.But he’s not happy — something’s not working.
可是他并不开心–还缺点什么。
128.The phone rings anyway — he’s called to the palazzo.
电话响了–叫他去palazzo。
129.He saunters at a good clip, but compared to the traveling we’ve just seen, he’s sauntering.
他快步走去 不过跟马尔切洛相比,他简直在晃荡。
130.Everybody knows Carletto, because he’s in entertainment — actually, he’s in television.
卡尔莱托真是无人不晓:他是娱乐界的– 准确地说,是搞电视的。
131.He’s actually in television repair, which is why people know him.
大家都认识他是因为他负责修电视。
132.So they all have his number.
每个人都有他的电话。
133.He arrives at the palazzo, arrives at the big front door.
终于到了,他来到大门那儿
134.Enters the courtyard and talks to the custodian, who tells him that there’s been a disaster in the palazzo.
走进院子,和看门人聊了起来 看门人说楼里出大事儿了
135.Nobody’s TVs are working.
电视机坏了个遍
136.And there’s a big soccer game coming up, and the crowd is getting a little restless and a little nervous.
可是即将有一场足球大赛 大家都耐不住了,怕错过比赛。
137.He goes down to the basement to check the wiring, and then gradually works his way up to the top of the building, apartment by apartment, checking every television,
于是他下到地下室检查电线 从那儿一路忙到楼顶, 挨家挨户地检查每一台电视
138.checking every connection, hoping to find out what this problem is.
一台台地查 想找出问题所在
139.He works his way up, finally the grand staircase, to a smaller staircase, until he reaches the attic.
他一直往上查,终于到了主楼梯 又一个小些的楼梯,到了阁楼。
140.He opens the window of the attic, of course, and there’s a tablecloth wrapped around the building’s television antenna.
打开窗户,当然当然,有张桌布 挂在整楼的电视天线上。
141.He removes it, the problem is solved, everybody in the palazzo is happy.
他把它拿掉,问题就解决了 楼里的大伙儿都很开心。
142.And of course, he also solves his own problem.
并且他也解决了自己的问题。
143.All he has to do now, with a perfect table, is wait for her to arrive.
桌子布置停当,他现在要做的 就是等她出现。
144.That was the first attempt, but it didn’t seem substantial enough to convey whatever it was I wanted to convey about Rome.
这是我的第一个尝试,不过好像分量还不够 传达我想表达的对罗马的理解
145.So I thought, well, I’ll just do piazzas, and I’ll get inside and underneath, and I’ll show these things growing and show why they’re shaped the way they are.
所以我想,好吧,我就先画广场, 然后钻进去、挖下去 展示那些深层中发展着的 塑造了这座城市的力量。
146.And then I thought, that’s too complicated. No.
后来我又觉得太复杂了。不行。
147.I’ll just take my favorite bits and pieces, and I’ll put them inside the Pantheon, but keep the scale.
我权且用我最喜欢的那些地方 把它们画到万神殿里去,保持原尺寸
148.So you can see the top of Sant’Ivo and the Pyramid of Cestius and the Tempietto of Bramante, all side by side in this amazing space.
你就能看到圣依沃堂和赛斯提乌斯金字塔 还有布拉曼特的小礼拜堂的尖顶,都在这里并列。
149.Now, that’s one drawing.
这又是一幅画。
150.Well, I thought, maybe it’s time for Piranesi to meet Escher.
呵呵,我想或许是时候让皮拉内西见见埃舍尔了。

ted演讲稿中英文对照

DavidLogan_部落领导【中英文对照】

2024-3-18 14:46:12

ted演讲稿中英文对照

DavidPogue_至简畅销【中英文对照】

2024-3-19 13:19:53

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索