1.This is Aunt Zip from Sodom, North Carolina.
这是北卡罗来纳州所多玛的Zip阿姨。
2.She was 105 years old when I took this picture.
我照这张照片的时候她已经105岁了
3.She was always saying things that made me stop and think, like, “Time may be a great healer, but it ain’t no beauty specialist.”
她经常说一些让我停下来思考的话,比如 “时间也许确实是可以愈合伤口,但它可不是个美容师。”
4.(Laughter) She said, “Be good to your friends.
(笑声) 她说,“善待你的朋友们。
5.Why, without them, you’d be a total stranger.”
为什么呢,因为如果没有他们,你就会是个完完全全的陌生人了。”
6.(Laughter) This is one of her songs.
(笑声) 这是一首她的歌
7.Let’s see if we can get into the flow here and all do this one together.
让我们试试看能不能跟上这首歌的韵律一起来唱唱看。
8.And I’m going to have Michael Manring play bass with me.
将由迈克尔·曼林来弹奏贝斯。
9.Give him a big old hand.
给他来点掌声。
10.(Applause) One, two, three, four.
(掌声) 1,2,3,4。
11.(Music) Well, my true love’s a black-eyed daisy; if I don’t see her, I go crazy.
(音乐) 哦,我的真爱是朵那黑眼睛的雏菊花; 如果我见不到她,我会变得疯狂。
12.My true love lives up the river; a few more jumps and I’ll be with her.
我得珍爱就住在河流的上游; 只要再跳跃几下我便可以于她相见。
13.Hey, hey, black-eyed Susie! Hey, hey, black-eyed Susie!
嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!
14.Hey, hey black-eyed Susie, hey.
嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!嘿
15.Now you’ve got to picture Aunt Zip at 105 years old in Sodom, North Carolina.
现在你们看到的是Zip阿姨105岁时的照片,在北卡罗来纳州的索多玛。
16.I’d go up and learn these old songs from her.
我去那从她那里学了这些老歌
17.She couldn’t sing much, couldn’t play any more.
她不能唱太多,也不能再演奏了。
18.And I’d pull her out on the front porch.
我把她拉倒走廊的前面
19.Down below, there was her grandson plowing the tobacco field with a mule.
远处地上,那是她的孙子一边拉着驴耕地一边抽烟。
20.A double outhouse over here on the side.
两个小屋在那边
21.And we’d sing this old song. She didn’t have a whole lot of energy, so I’d sing, “Hey, hey!” and she’s just answer back with, “Black-eyed Susie.”
然后我们唱起这首老歌。她的力气已经不再那么足了, 所以我唱到,“嘿,嘿!”然后她对唱到,“黑眼睛的苏茜”
22.Oh, hey, hey, black-eyed Susie! Hey, hey, black-eyed Susie!
嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!
23.Hey, hey, black-eyed Susie, hey.
嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!嘿
24.Well, she and I went blackberry picking.
哦,我和她一起去摘黑莓
25.She got mad; I took a licking.
她生气了,我急忙安慰她
26.Ducks on the millpond, geese in the ocean, Devil in the pretty girl when she takes a notion.
鸭子和鹅在水塘里游来游去 当漂亮的姑娘冒出个奇怪的念头萌生小小的邪恶
27.Hey, hey, black-eyed Susie! Hey, hey, black-eyed Susie!
嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!
28.Hey, hey black-eyed Susie, hey.
嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!嘿
29.Let’s have the banjo.
让我们来段班卓琴。
30.Well, we’ll get married next Thanksgiving.
噢,我们就要结婚了,就在下一个感恩节。
31.I’ll lay around; she’ll make a living.
我就可以享受一下了,她来维持生活。
32.She’ll cook blackjacks, I’ll cook gravy; we’ll have chicken someday, maybe.
我们做着各自拿手的好菜 没准那天还会吃顿鸡肉大餐
33.Hey, hey, hey, hey. Hey, hey, black-eyed Susie, hey!
嘿,嘿,嘿,嘿。嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜,嘿!
34.One more time now.
再来一次。
35.Oh, hey, hey, black-eyed Susie! Hey, hey, black-eyed Susie!
哦,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!嘿,嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜!
36.Hey, hey, black-eyed Susie, hey.
嘿,嘿,黑眼睛的苏茜,嘿!
37.(Applause) Thank you, Michael.
(掌声) 谢谢你,迈克尔。
38.This is Ralph Stanley.
这是拉尔夫.斯坦利
39.When I was going to college at University of California at Santa Barbara in the College of Creative Studies, taking majors in biology and art, he came to the campus.
当我到了位于圣塔芭芭拉的加州大学时 那是一所充满创意的学校, 我到那里主修生物和艺术,这时他来到校园
40.This was in 1968, I guess it was.
那是1968年的事了,我想应该是
41.And he played his bluegrass style of music, but near the end of the concert, he played the old timing style of banjo picking that came from Africa, along with the banjo.
他演奏了他蓝草风格的音乐 但是到音乐会临近结束的时候,他演奏了一首风格古老的班卓琴乐曲 那首歌伴随着班卓琴一同从非洲来
42.It’s called claw-hammer style, that he had learned from his mother and grandmother.
那首歌可以被称作羊角锤风格,是他从他母亲和外婆那里学来的。
43.I fell in love with that.
我一听就爱上了
44.I went up to him and said, how can I learn that?
我上去问它,我要怎么才能学到它?
45.He said, well, you can go back to Clinch Mountain, where I’m from, or Asheville or Mount Airy, North Carolina — some place that has a lot of music.
他说,嗯,你可以回到克林奇山,我正是来自那里 或者是北卡罗来纳州的阿什维尔和芒特艾里 那些有很多音乐的地方
46.Because a lot of old people still living that play that old style.
因为那里还有很多老人在以过去的生活方式生活。
47.So I went back that very summer.
于是紧接着的那个夏天我就去了那里。
48.I just fell in love with the culture and the people.
我真是一下子爱上了那里的人们和那里的文化。
49.And you know, I came back to school, I finished my degrees and told my parents I wanted to be a banjo player.
你知道,我回到学校,完成了我的学业 然后我和我的父母说我要去做一名班卓琴的演奏者
50.You can imagine how excited they were.
你可以想象出来他们激动的样子。
51.So I thought I would just like to show you some of the pictures I’ve taken of some of my mentors.
我想我该给你们展示一些图片 我拍摄的一些我的导师的照片。
52.Just a few of them, but maybe you’ll get just a little hint of some of these folks.
只是其中的一些,但是也许你会从这些民谣里得到一些暗示。
53.And play a little banjo. Let’s do a little medley.
再弹一段班卓琴。让我们把它集成一段曲子。
54.(Music) (Applause) Those last few pictures were of Ray Hicks, who just passed away last year.
(音乐) (掌声) 最后来几张在去年刚刚去世的雷.希克斯的照片
55.He was one of the great American folk tale-tellers.
他是美国最棒的民间故事讲述者之一。
56.The Old Jack tales that he had learned — he talked like this, you could hardly understand him. But it was really wonderful.
老杰克讲述他所知道的事,听起来像这样, 你很难听懂他在说什么。但其实那真的很棒。
57.And he lived in that house that his great-grandfather had built.
他就住在这个他曾祖父建造的房子里。
58.No running water, no electricity. A wonderful, wonderful guy.
没有自来水,没有电。一个非常非常好的人。
59.And you can look at more pictures.
你们可以看到一些更多的图片
60.I’ve actually got a website that’s got a bunch of photos that I’ve done of some of the other folks I didn’t get a chance to show you.
实际上我有个一个网站,许多我拍的照片都放在上面 照片上还有一些我没机会让你们看到的人们。
61.This instrument came up in those pictures. It’s called the mouth bow.
在那些照片中你可以看到的这种乐器。它叫做口弓。
62.It is definitely the first stringed instrument ever in the world, and still played in the Southern mountains.
它绝对是世界上第一件弦乐了, 在南部山区人们依然用它来演奏。
63.Now, the old timers didn’t take a fancy guitar string and make anything like this.
现在,老前辈们已经不再弹奏那么炫的吉他而是做一些这样的事。
64.They would just take a stick and a catgut and string it up.
他们只是用一根枝条和羊肠线把他们栓在一起拉紧。
65.It was hard on the cats, but it made a great little instrument.
这可能对猫来说不是一件好事,但却制造除了一件很好的小乐器。
66.It sounds something like this.
它听起来像是这样的。
67.(Music) Well, have you heard the many stories told by young and old with joy about the many deeds of daring that were done by the Johnson boys?
音乐 嗯,你是否听过很多让全家老小都喜欢的故事 关于约翰逊男孩的那些冒险故事?
68.You take Kate, I’ll take Sam; we’ll both have a Johnson gal.
你拉上凯特,我叫上山姆;我们都将有个约翰逊女孩相伴。
69.You take Kate, I’ll take Sam; we’ll both have a Johnson gal.
你拉上凯特,我叫上山姆;我们都将有个约翰逊女孩相伴。
70.Now, they were scouts in the rebels’ army, they were known both far and wide.
现在,他们是叛逆大军中的童子军, 走到哪里都有人知道他们
71.When the Yankees saw them coming, they’d lay down their guns and hide.
当人们看见他们走来都要把枪放下藏起来
72.You take Kate, I’ll take Sam; we’ll both have a Johnson gal.
拉上凯特,我叫上山姆;我们都将有个约翰逊女孩相伴。
73.You take Kate, I’ll take Sam; we’ll both have a Johnson gal.
拉上凯特,我叫上山姆;我们都将有个约翰逊女孩相伴。
74.Ain’t that a sound?
听起来像是一段音乐吧
75.(Applause) Well, it was 1954, I guess it was.
(掌声) 嗯,那是1954年,我想大概是。
76.We were driving in the car outside of Gatesville, Texas, where I grew up in the early part of my life.
我们正开车走在德克萨斯州的凯茨维尔郊外, 我在那儿度过了我的童年。
77.Outside of Gatesville we were coming back from the grocery store.
我们从小便利店回到盖茨维尔的郊外
78.My mom was driving; my brother and I were in the back seat.
我妈妈在开车;我和我哥哥坐在后座上。
79.We were really mad at my mom. We looked out the window.
我们当时都在生妈妈的气。我们像窗外张望。
80.We were surrounded by thousands of acres of cotton fields.
周围是数千英亩的棉花田。
81.You see, we’d just been to the grocery store, and my mom refused to buy us the jar of Ovaltine that had the coupon for the Captain Midnight decoder ring in it.
我们刚刚才去过便利店, 可我妈妈却拒绝给我们买一罐 有午夜船长解码指环的阿华田(食物)
82.And, buddy, that made us mad.
哦,伙计们,这气坏了我们。
83.Well, my mom didn’t put up with much either, and she was driving, and she said, “You boys! You think you can have anything you want.
而妈妈也在生我们的气,她一边开车一边说, “你们!你们以为你们想要什么就有什么。
84.You don’t know how hard it is to earn money. Your dad works so hard.
你们不知道赚钱有多难,你们爸爸工作那么辛苦。
85.You think money grows on trees. You’ve never worked a day in your lives.
你以为钱是从树上长出来的啊。你们从没有为了养活自己的劳动过。
86.You boys make me so mad. You’re going to get a job this summer.”
你们是在是太让我生气了,你们要在这个夏天找到一份工作。“
87.She pulled the car over; she said, “Get out of the car.”
她把车靠边一停,说,“都给我下车。”
88.My brother and I stepped out of the car.
我和我哥哥从车上下来。
89.We were standing on the edge of thousands of acres of cotton.
我们站在几千英亩的棉花田边。
90.There were about a hundred black folks out there picking.
大概有一百个黑人农民在采棉花。
91.My mom grabbed us by the shoulders. She marched us out in the field.
我妈妈抓着我们的肩膀,把我们拉进棉花地里。
92.She went up to the foreman; she said, “I’ve got these two little boys never worked a day in their lives.”
她走到一个工头面前,说 “我有两个从来没干过活儿养活自己的小子。”
93.Of course, we were just eight and 10.
当然,我们那会儿才一个8岁一个10岁。
94.(Laughter) She said, “Would you put them to work?”
(笑声) 她说,“你能让他们工作吗?”
95.Well, that must have seemed like a funny idea to that foreman: put these two middle-class little white boys out in a cotton field in August in Texas — it’s hot.
好吧,那对于工头来说一定像是个很搞笑的提议了: 把这两个中产阶级白人小孩放在棉花地里干活儿。 那是八月的德克萨斯——天气非常热。
96.So he gave us each a cotton sack, about 10 feet long, about that big around, and we started picking.
于是他给了我们一人一个空麻袋, 大概有10英尺长,那么大一个袋子,然后我们就开始摘棉花。
97.Now, cotton is soft but the outside of the plant is just full of stickers.
现在,棉花虽然是很软,但是在它外面长满了尖刺
98.And if you don’t know what you’re doing, your hands are bleeding in no time.
如果你不知道你自己在干什么 你的手会马上流血。
99.And my brother and I started picking, and our hands were started to bleed, and then — “Mom! ”
我和哥哥开始采棉花 我们的手开始流血,接着就是——“妈妈!”
100.And mom was just sitting by the car like this.
而妈妈就是坐在车子旁边,像这样
101.She wasn’t going to give up.
她可没打算就此饶了我们。
102.Well, the foreman could see he was in over his head, I guess.
我猜,工头可以看到他是在他的头上
103.He kind of just snuck up behind us and he sang out in a low voice.
他悄悄的走到我们身后开始用低沉的声音唱。
104.He just sang: “Well, there’s a long wide robe in heaven, I know.
他唱到:“哦,有一条又宽又长的袍子在天上,我知道的。
105.Don’t want it to leave me behind.
不要离我而去。
106.Well, there’s a long wide robe in heaven, I know.
哦,有一条又宽又长的袍子在天上,我知道的。
107.Don’t want it to leave me behind.”
不要离我而去。”
108.And from all around as people started singing and answering back, he sang: “Good news, good news: Chariot’s coming.
这时周围的人也开始唱了起来,回应着他,他唱到: “好消息,好消系,马车要来了”
109.Good news: Chariot’s coming.
“好消息,马车要来了。”
110.Good news: Chariot’s coming.
好消息,马车要来了。”
111.And I don’t want it to leave me behind.”
而我不想被它落在后面”
112.Now, my brother and I had never heard anything like that in our whole lives. It was so beautiful.
在我和我哥哥的一生中, 我们再也没有听到过那样的音乐。它太美了。
113.We sat there all day picking cotton, without complaining, without crying, while they sang things like: “Oh, Mary, don’t you weep, don’t you moan” and “Wade in the water,”
我们待在那里摘了一天的棉花,没有抱怨, 也没有哭,他们这样唱道: “噢,Mary,你不要哭泣,你不要呻吟” 和 “艰难涉水”
114.and “I done done,” “This little light of mine.”
和 “我做完了”,“这是我的一点光”
115.Finally, by the end of the day, we’d each picked about a quarter of a bag of cotton.
最后,当一天结束的时候, 我们每个人摘了大概有一个麻袋的四分之一那么多的棉花。
116.But the foreman was kind enough to give us each a check for a dollar, but my mother would never let us cash it.
但是农场的工人年还是很善良的,给了我们一人一张1美元的支票, 但我妈妈一直也不让我们把它兑成钱。
117.I’m 57; still have the check.
我现在57岁了;还始终拿着那支票。
118.Now, my mother hoped that we learned from that the value of hard work.
现在,我妈妈希望我们能从中学到辛苦劳动的价值。
119.But if you have children, you know it doesn’t often work that way.
但如果你有孩子的话,你知道,这个方法并不一定管用。
120.No, we learned something else.
是的,我们就学了别的些东西。
121.The first thing I learned that day was that I never ever wanted to work that hard again.
我在那些天学到的第一件事就是 我再也不会做那么辛苦的工作了。
122.(Laughter) And pretty much never did.
(笑声) 而且估计永远也不。
123.But I also learned that some people in this world do have to work that hard every day, and that was an eye-opener.
但我同时还学到了,在这个世界上有一些人 确实需要每天这么辛苦的工作,这真的是让我大开眼界。
124.And I also learned that a great song can make hard work go a little easier.
同时我也学到了,一首好听的歌曲可以让艰难的工作变得容易许多。
125.And it also can bring the group together in a way that nothing else can.
而且它还可以将人们聚集在一起,而其他办法则办不到。
126.Now, I was just a little eight-year-old boy that day when my mama put me out of the car in that hot Texas cotton field.
我那会儿还是个八岁大的小男孩 当我妈妈把我们扔在德克萨斯炎热的棉花地里的时候,
127.I wasn’t even aware of music — not even aware of it.
我甚至不知道什么是音乐——根本不知道它。
128.But that day in the cotton field out there picking, when those people started singing, I realized I was in the very heart of real music,
当那一天在棉花田中采着棉花 当人们开始歌唱 我发现我的心与真正的音乐想通
129.and that’s where I’ve wanted to be ever since.
而我想那就是我开始向往的
130.Try this old song with me. I sing: Well, there’s a long wide robe in heaven, I know.
和我一起唱这首老歌。我唱: 哦,有一条又宽又长的袍子在天上,我知道的。
131.You sing: Don’t want it to leave me behind.
你们唱:不要离我而去。
132.Well, there’s a long wide robe in heaven, I know.
哦,有一条又宽又长的袍子在天上,我知道的。
133.Don’t want it to leave me behind.
不要离我而去。
134.Good news, good news: Chariot’s coming.
好消息,好消息:马车要来了。
135.Good news: Chariot’s coming.
好消息:马车要来了
136.Good news: Chariot’s coming.
好消息:马车要来了
137.And I don’t want it to leave me — It’s been a while since you guys have been picking your last bale of cotton, isn’t it?
不要离我而去- 你们也好久没有摘棉花了,不是嘛?
138.Let’s try it one more time.
让我们再试一次。
139.There’s a starry crown in heaven, I know.
哦,有一条又宽又长的袍子在天上,我知道的。
140.Don’t want it to leave me behind.
不要离我而去。
141.There’s a starry crown in heaven, I know.
哦,有一条又宽又长的袍子在天上,我知道的。
142.Don’t want it to leave me behind.
不要离我而去。
143.Good news: Chariot’s coming.
好消息:马车要来了
144.Good news: Chariot’s coming.
好消息:马车要来了
145.Good news: Chariot’s coming.
好消息:马车要来了
146.And I don’t want it to leave me behind.
不要离我而去。
147.It was a few years ago, but I sort of remembered this story, and I told it at a concert.
就在这几年,我回想起了这件事, 我在演奏会上也讲过。
148.My mom was in the audience.
我妈妈当时在观众席中。
149.After the — she was glad to have a story about herself, of course, but after the concert she came up and she said, David, I’ve got to tell you something.
在结束后–当然,她很高兴能有一个关于她的故事, 但是当演奏会结束后她走过来说道, 大卫,有些事我得跟你说说。
150.I set that whole thing up.
我安排了这整件事。
151.I set it up with the foreman. I set it up with the owner of the land.
我找了一个工头。我找了这块土地的主人。
152.I just wanted you boys to learn the value of hard work.
我只是想让你们这两个孩子学到辛苦工作的价值。
153.I didn’t know it was going to make you fall in love with music though.
我不知道这会让你从此爱上音乐。
154.Let’s try. Good news: Chariot’s coming.
我们试一下。好消息:马车要来了。
155.Good news: Chariot’s coming.
好消息:马车要来了。
156.Good news: Chariot’s coming.
好消息:马车要来了。
157.And I don’t want it to leave me behind.
不要离我而去。
158.(Applause) Well, this is the steel guitar. It’s an American-made instrument.
(掌声) 好,这是钢吉他。这是美国制造的乐器。
159.It was originally made by the Dopyera Brothers, who later on made the Dobro, which is a wood-bodied instrument with a metal cone for — where the sound comes from.
这是最初是由多普耶拉兄弟制造的, 他们在之后制作了冬不拉(Dobro),一种木制琴身的乐器 有一个金属锥-声音就是从那儿发出的。
160.It’s usually played flat on your lap.
通常是把它平放在腿上弹奏。
161.It was made to play Hawaiian music back in the 1920s, before they had electric guitars, trying to make a loud guitar.
它制作于上个世纪20年代,是为了弹奏夏威夷音乐发明的, 当时还没有电吉他,他们是为了制作更响亮的吉他而发明了它。
162.And then African-American folks figured out you could take a broken bottle neck, just like that — a nice Merlot works very well.
非洲裔美国人甚至说你可以破了的玻璃瓶的瓶颈, 就像那样-一个不错的Merlot也能弹奏出很棒的乐曲。
163.That wine we had yesterday would have been perfect.
昨天喝的酒很棒。
164.Break it off, put it on your finger, and slide into the notes.
把酒瓶打破,放在手上,开始弹奏。
165.This instrument pretty much saved my life.
这个乐器可以说救了我一命。
166.15 years ago, 14 years ago, I guess, this year, my wife and I lost our daughter, Sarah Jane, in a car accident, and it was the most — it almost took me out — it almost took me out of this world.
15年前,或是14年前,我想, 我和妻子在一次车祸中失去了我们的女儿,莎拉 简爱 那件事是最—几乎把我击垮—那件事几乎要了我的命。
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧