1.My thing with school lunch is, it’s a social justice issue.
在我看来,学校午餐是一件关乎社会公平的大事。
2.I’m the Director of Nutrition Services for the Berkeley Unified School District. I have 90 employees and 17 locations, 9,600 kids.
我是伯克利联合校区膳食营养部门的主管, 在我手下有90名员工 和17和服务站,为9600名儿童提供服务。
3.I’m doing 7,100 meals a day and I’ve been doing it for two years, trying to change how we feed kids in America.
平均每天我们要提供7100份午餐 并且已经持续了两年。 我们这样做的目的是为了改变在我们国家里给孩子提供膳食的方式,
4.And that’s what I want to talk to you a little bit about today.
这就是今天我想给大家讲述的内容。
5.These are some of my kids with a salad bar.
现在大家看到是孩子们在沙拉吧台前的照片。
6.I put salad bars in all of our schools when I got there.
我上任伊始,就在所有学校里设置了沙拉吧台。
7.Everyone says it couldn’t be done — little kids couldn’t eat off the salad bar, big kids would spit in it — neither happened.
当时,所有的人都认为这行不通 因为他们认为年幼的孩子够不着吧台, 而大点的孩子又会往里面吐痰,但事实上这两种现象都从未出现过。
8.When I took over this I tried to really figure out, like, what my vision would be: how do we really change children’s relationship to food?
当我接手这个职位的时候,我试图真正弄明白一些事情, 比方说,我的理想究竟是什么; 我们应该怎样做才能改变孩子和食物之间的关系?
9.And I’ll tell you why we need to change it, but we absolutely have to change it.
我想说的并不仅仅是为什么我们需要去改变, 而是我们必须要去改变。
10.And what I came to understand is, we needed to teach children the symbiotic relationship between a healthy planet, healthy food and healthy kids.
我逐渐意识到, 我们有责任给孩子们灌输 健康的地球,有益于健康的食物和健康的孩子 这三者之间的共生关系。
11.And that if we don’t do that, the antithesis, although we’ve heard otherwise, is we’re really going to become extinct, because we’re feeding our children to death.
如果我们不那么做的话,对立面将会是, 不是危言耸听, 人类将会灭绝, 因为我们的喂养方式会使孩子们一步步走向死亡。
12.That’s my premise.
这就是我的前提。
13.We’re seeing sick kids get sicker and sicker.
我们看到,身体差的孩子变得越来越虚弱。
14.And the reason this is happening, by and large, is because of our food system and the way the government commodifies food, the way the government oversees our food,
造成这种现象的原因,总的来说是因为 我们的食品体系 和食品商品化过程中政府采取的方式, 以及政府监管食品的手段,
15.the way the USDA puts food on kids’ plates that’s unhealthy, and allows unhealthy food into schools.
和美国农业部设定的食物进入孩子们餐盘的流通渠道 种种这些,都是不健康的,并且直接导致了那些对身体有害的食物进入了校园。
16.And by tacitly, all of us send our kids, or grandchildren, or nieces, or nephews, to school and tell them to learn, you know, learn what’s in those schools.
我们大家都心照不宣的把子女、 孙子、侄女、侄子送去学校, 并且告诉他们 学校教什么就学什么。
17.And when you feed these kids bad food, that’s what they’re learning. So that’s really what this is all about.
而当你给孩子们提供劣质的食物时, 这也是孩子们在学校里学到的一部分。这才是关键问题之所在。
18.The way we got here is because of big agribusiness.
我们走到这一步要拜那些农业综合企业巨头们所赐。
19.We now live in a country where most of us don’t decide, by and large, what we eat. We see big businesses, Monsanto and DuPont — who brought out Agent Orange and stain-resistant carpet —
总之,我们如今生活在一个我们大多数人没有权力决定我们吃什么的国度, 那些生产落叶剂和耐污地毯的大财团, 如Monsanto(孟山都)和DuPont(杜邦),
20.they control 90 percent of the commercially produced seeds in our country.
他们掌控着全美国百分之九十的商业化种子。
21.These are 10 companies — control much of what’s in our grocery stores, much of what people eat — and that’s really, really a problem.
仅仅十家公司, 就掌控着零售店里出售的大部分商品和食品, 这不能不说是个问题。
22.So when I started thinking about these issues and how I was going to change what kids ate, I really started focusing on what we would teach them.
因此,当我开始思考这些问题 以及思考怎样才能改变孩子们所摄入的食物时, 我开始把注意力集中在这样一个问题上,即我们应该给孩子们灌输些什么。
23.And the very first thing was about regional food — trying to eat food from within our region.
首当其冲我们要灌输给孩子们的是 区域性食品, 即尝试食用本地出产的食物。
24.And clearly, with what’s going on with fossil fuel usage, or when — as the fossil fuel is going away, as oil hits its peak, oil —
毋庸置疑, 随着化石燃料的不断消耗 和油价的持续飙升,
25.you know, we really have to start thinking about whether or not we should, or could, be moving food 1,500 miles before we eat it.
是时候开始思考 我们把食物从1500英里以外运送过来的这种做法 是否是可行的。
26.So we talked to kids about that, and we really start to feed kids regional food.
因此,我们和孩子们交流探讨这种现象, 并且开始让孩子们食用本地出产的食物。
27.And then we talk about organic food.
现在,我们来谈一谈有机食品。
28.Now, most school districts can’t really afford organic food, but we, as a nation, have to start thinking about consuming, growing and feeding our children
目前,大部分校区负担不起有机食品, 但我们,作为一个国家, 必须开始考虑 把消费、种植和给孩子们提供
29.food that’s not chocked full of chemicals.
不含有化学物质的食品摆在我们的议事日程上。
30.We can’t keep feeding our kids pesticides and herbicides and antibiotics and hormones.
我们不能让孩子们再继续摄入杀虫剂 除草剂、抗生素和激素了。
31.We can’t keep doing that.
我们不能再那样做。
32.You know, it doesn’t work.
这样做是行不通的。
33.And the results of that are kids getting sick.
这样做的结果是孩子们的身体将会变得越来越糟糕。
34.One of my big soapboxes right now is antibiotics.
现在我想着重谈一谈抗生素。
35.70 percent of all antibiotics consumed in America is consumed in animal husbandry.
在美国,百分之七十的抗生素 用于畜牧业。
36.We are feeding our kids antibiotics in beef and other animal protein every day.
孩子们每天都从 牛肉和其它动物蛋白中摄取抗生素。
37.70 percent — it’s unbelievable.
百分之七十,不可思议的数字。
38.And the result of it is we have diseases.
结果将导致疾病。
39.We have things like E. coli that we can’t fix, that we can’t make kids better when they get sick.
我们面临着像大肠杆菌这样无法攻克的难题, 当孩子们生病感染,我们却束手无策。
40.And, you know, certainly antibiotics have been over-prescribed, but it’s an issue in the food supply.
抗生素的滥用不仅仅是医学界的现象, 同时也是食品供应中出现的问题。
41.One of my favorite facts is that US agriculture uses 1.2 billion pounds of pesticides every year.
我可以举一个很好的例子, 美国农业每年要消耗12亿磅的杀虫剂。
42.That means every one of us and our children consumes what would equal a five-pound bag — those bags you have at home — if I had one here
这就意味着我们每个人以及我们的孩子 要消耗大约5磅重的袋装农药, 就跟我们平时家里常用的袋子那么大,假设我现在手头有这样的一个袋子,
43.and ripped it open, and that pile I would have on the floor is what we consume and feed our children every year because of what goes into our food supply,
并且把它撕开, 把里面的东西摊在地上, 这就是我们自己和我们的孩子们每年摄入的农药量。 导致这一切的原因是因为流入我们食品供应环节中的农产品,
44.because of the way we consume produce in America.
以及我们摄取 农产品的方式。
45.The USDA allows these antibiotics, these hormones and these pesticides in our food supply, and the USDA paid for this ad in Time magazine.
美国农业部为我们食品供应环节中流入的抗生素、 激素和杀虫剂开了绿灯, 并且还为时代杂志上的这则广告 买单。
46.Okay, we could talk about Rachel Carson and DDT, but we know it wasn’t good for you and me.
好,那我们现在来谈谈蕾切尔·卡逊和滴滴涕, 我们知道,滴滴涕对我们每个人都是有害的。
47.And that is what the USDA allows in our food supply.
但这却是美国农业部在食品供应中允许的物质。
48.And that has to change, you know.
这点必须要改变。
49.The USDA cannot be seen as the be all and end all of what we feed our kids our kids and what’s allowed.
我们再也不能把美国农业部的相关规定视为 我们给孩子们吃什么 以及哪些物质被允许摄入的权威。
50.We cannot believe that they have our best interests at heart.
我们不相信他们的心里存有我们的最大利益。
51.The antithesis of this whole thing is sustainable food.
与之相反的是可持续性食物。
52.That’s what I really try and get people to understand.
这也是我试图让人们了解的。
53.I really try and teach it to kids — I think it’s the most important.
我想把它灌输给孩子们-我认为这是最重要的一点。
54.It’s consuming food in a way in which we’ll still have a planet in which kids will grow up to be healthy, and which really tries to mitigate
在这种可持续性食物的作用下, 我们的地球不会消亡, 孩子们将健康成长, 并且能够缓解
55.all the negative impacts we’re seeing.
我们所遭受的一切负面的影响。
56.It really is just a new idea.
这完全是一个全新的理念。
57.I mean, people toss around sustainability, but we have to figure out what sustainability is.
我的意思是人们总是谈论到可持续性, 但是我们必须搞清楚可持续性到底是什么。
58.In less than 200 years, you know, just in a few generations, we’ve gone from being 200 — being 100 percent, 95 percent farmers to less than 2 percent of farmers.
在不到200年的时间里,仅仅几代人的时间, 我们农民的比例数从 100%下降到95%, 直到不足2%。
59.We now live in a country that has more prisoners than farmers — 2.1 million prisoners, 1.9 million farmers.
现在我们生活在一个囚徒比农民的数量还要多的国家, 210万囚徒,190万农民。
60.And we spend 35,000 dollars on average a year keeping a prisoner in prison and school districts spend 500 dollars a year feeding a child.
平均一年我们花在狱中一个囚徒身上的钱 达到35000美元 而校区每年却只花费500美元 给一个孩子提供膳食。
61.It’s no wonder, you know, we have criminals.
也难怪犯罪分子层出不穷了。
62.(Laughter) And what’s happening is, we’re getting sick — we’re getting sick and our kids are getting sick.
(笑) 随之出现的是,我们的身体越来越差 我们和我们的孩子都将被疾病所困扰。
63.It is about what we feed them.
这和我们为孩子们提供的食物有关。
64.What goes in is what we are.
我们摄入的食物是什么样我们就会变成什么样。
65.We really are what we eat.
摄入的食物和我们休戚相关。
66.And if we continue down this path, if we continue to feed kids bad food, if we continue not to teach them what good food is, what’s going to happen? You know, what is going to happen?
如果我们继续沿着这条老路走下去, 如果我们继续为我们的孩子提供劣质食物, 如果我们不教给他们什么是对健康有益的食物, 将会发生什么呢?你们知道将会发生什么吗?
67.What’s going to happen to our whole medical system?
我们的整个医疗系统将会受到什么样的影响?
68.What’s going to happen is, we’re going to have kids that have a life less long than our own.
随之而来的是, 我们的下一代的寿命 将会比我们这一代更短。
69.The CDC — the Center for Disease Control — has said, of the children born in the year 2000 — those seven- and eight-year-olds today —
据疾病防控中心(CDC)的统计数据显示, 在2000年出生的新生儿人群中, (这些孩子现在大多7-8岁左右)
70.one out of every three Caucasians, one out of every two African-Americans and Hispanics, are going to have diabetes in their lifetime.
每三个白种人, 每两个非洲裔美国人和西班牙裔美国人中 就会有一个孩子患上糖尿病。
71.And if that’s not enough, they’ve gone on to say, most before they graduate high school.
如果这还不足以引起警惕的话,疾病防控中心进一步表明, 糖尿病多出现在这些孩子们高中毕业之前。
72.This means that 40 or 45 percent of all school-aged children could be insulin-dependent within a decade — within a decade.
这就意味着40%或45%的 学龄儿童 将会在未来的十年间 对胰岛素产生依赖。
73.What’s going to happen?
将会发生些什么呢?
74.Well, the CDC has gone further to say that those children born in the year 2000 could be the first generation in our country’s history to die at a younger age than their parents.
好吧,疾病防控中心还说了, 那些2000年出生的孩子 可能会成为我们国家历史上首代 寿命短于他们父辈的一代人。
75.And it’s because of what we feed them.
这都要归功于我们提供给他们的食物。
76.Because eight-year-olds don’t get to decide, and if they do, you should be in therapy.
因为八岁大的孩子还没有决定权, 如果他们有权决定的话,他们会送你去看心理医生。
77.You know, we are responsible for what kids eat.
我们有责任去决定 孩子该吃些什么。
78.But oops, maybe they’re responsible for what kids eat.
但是,或许现在这成了这些大财团们的事,
79.Big companies spend 20 billion dollars a year marketing non-nutrient foods to kids.
大财团每年要花掉200亿美元 投入在给孩子们吃的垃圾食品的广告费上。
80.20 billion dollars a year. 10,000 ads most kids see.
200亿美元,能使大多数孩子们一年看到10000个垃圾食品广告。
81.They spend 500 dollars for every one dollar — 500 dollars marketing foods that kids shouldn’t eat — for every one dollar marketing healthy, nutritious food.
他们投入500美元 去为那些价值1美元的垃圾食品做广告。 广告上那些垃圾食品被描述成有益健康,营养丰富的食物, 但实际上,这些是对孩子们有害的。
82.The result of which is kids think they’re going to die if they don’t have chicken nuggets.
这样做的结果将会对孩子们产生误导, 鸡块成了他们不可或缺的食物。
83.You know, that everybody thinks they should be eating more and more and more.
大家都觉得孩子们应该尽可能多的多吃。
84.This is the USDA portion size, that little tiny thing.
大家看到的这是美国农业部规定的份量,很小一份。
85.And the one over there that’s bigger than my head is what McDonalds and Burger King and those big companies think we should eat.
图那边的是麦当劳和汉堡王里出售的份量, 甚至比人的脑袋还大。 这些大财团认为我们就应该吃这么多。
86.And why can they serve that much?
可是为什么他们提供的份量可以那么多呢?
87.Why can we have 29-cent big gulps and 99-cent double burgers?
为什么我们可以买到售价29美分的大杯饮料 和99美分的双层汉堡呢?
88.It’s because of the way the government commodifies food, and the cheap corn and cheap soy that are pushed into our food supply that makes these non-nutrient foods
原因是政府在食品商品化过程中所采取的手段, 以及流入我们食品供应环节中的 廉价的玉米和大豆。 正是这些原因,使得这些垃圾食品的价格
89.really, really cheap.
非常低廉。
90.Which is why I say it’s a social justice issue.
所以说为什么在一开始我把这称之为一件关乎社会公平的大事。
91.Now I said I’m doing this in Berkeley, and you might think, “Oh, Berkeley. Of course you can do it in Berkeley.”
现在当我跟你们说我在伯克利做的这件事,你们就会想, “噢,伯克利,那可是个好地方,在伯克利当然你可以这么做。”
92.Well, this is the food I found 24 months ago.
好吧,这是我在两年前看到的食品。
93.This is not even food.
这简直就不能被称之为食品。
94.This is the stuff we were feeding our kids — Extremo Burritos, corn dogs, pizza pockets, grilled cheese sandwiches.
这就是我们给我们的孩子们吃的玩意儿-Extremo墨西哥玉米煎饼、 炸热狗串、 披萨馅饼和烤芝士三文治。
95.Everything came in plastic, in cardboard.
这些东西都用塑料袋封好,装在纸箱子里。
96.The only kitchen tools my staff had was a box cutter.
员工仅有的一件厨房用具是一个纸箱切割刀。
97.The only working piece of equipment in my kitchen was a can crusher, because if it didn’t come in a can, it came frozen in a box.
厨房里唯一的一样设备是一个 易拉罐压扁机,因为他们要么是以罐装的形式运过来, 要么就是以冷冻箱的形式运过来。
98.The USDA allows this.
这就是美国农业部许可的。
99.The USDA allows all of this stuff.
美国农业部对所有这些都开了绿灯。
100.In case you can’t tell, that’s, like, pink Danish and some kind of cupcakes.
也许你不能完全分辨得出,例如 pink Danish 和某些杯形糕饼的区别。
101.Chicken nuggets, Tater Tots, chocolate milk with high fructose, canned fruit cocktail — a reimbursable meal.
鸡块、炸土豆泥、加了高浓度果糖的巧克力牛奶、 什锦水果罐头-共同组成了一顿廉价的午餐。
102.That’s what the government says is okay to feed our kids.
这就是政府为什么允许它们进入孩子们餐盘的原因。
103.It ain’t okay. You know what? It is not okay.
这样做是不行的。你们知道吗?这样做是不行的。
104.And we, all of us, have to understand that this is about us — that we can make a difference here.
我们,我们所有人, 必须了解, 这是和我们休戚相关的- 我们可以让这一切发生改变。
105.Now I don’t know if any of you out there invented chicken nuggets, but I’m sure you’re rich if you did.
此刻,我不知道在座的人中是否有人发明了鸡块, 但我可以肯定,如果你们发明了鸡块就一定会很有钱。
106.But whoever decided that a chicken should look like a heart, a giraffe, a star?
又是谁决定了鸡应该长什么样, 心形,长颈鹿形,或是星形?
107.Well, Tyson did, because there’s no chicken in the chicken.
泰森公司做到了,因为鸡块里压根没有鸡。
108.And that they could figure it out that we could sell this stuff to kids.
他们也许会断定 我们会把这些玩意儿推销给孩子们。
109.You know, what’s wrong with teaching kids that chicken looks like chicken?
其实,告诉孩子们鸡长得就是鸡样 有什么错呢?
110.But this is what most schools serve.
大多数学校都把这些食物提供给孩子们。
111.In fact, this may be what a lot of parents serve — as opposed to this — is what we try and serve.
事实上,有很多家长也是这么做的 我们尝试做的恰恰和这相反。
112.We really need to change this whole paradigm with kids and food.
我们的确需要改变 孩子与食物的整个模式。
113.We really have to teach children that chicken is not a giraffe.
我们必须教给孩子 鸡不是长颈鹿。
114.You know, that vegetables are actually colorful — that they have flavor, that carrots grow in the ground, that strawberries grow in the ground.
蔬菜是 富有色彩的,同时也是有味道的。 胡萝卜生长在泥土里, 草莓生长在泥土里。
115.There’s not a strawberry tree or a carrot bush.
世界上不存在草莓树或者胡萝卜灌木。
116.You know, we have to change the way we teach kids about these things.
我们必须改变 我们灌输给孩子们这些知识的方式。
117.There’s a lot of stuff we can do. There’s a lot of schools doing farm-to-school programs. There’s a lot of schools actually getting fresh food into schools.
我们可以做的有很多。 有许多学校开展了从农场到学校的活动。 有许多学校的的确确把让新鲜的食物进入了校园。
118.Now in Berkeley, we’ve gone totally fresh.
目前在伯克利,可以说我们的所有食物全部是新鲜的。
119.We have no high-fructose corn syrup, no trans fats, no processed foods.
我们不供应含高浓度果糖的玉米糖浆、 不提供反式脂肪、不提供加工食品。
120.We’re cooking from scratch every day.
我们每天烹饪时不用现成酱料或半成品食物。
121.We have 25 percent of our — (Applause) thank you — 25 percent of our stuff is organic and local. We cook.
有25%…… (鼓掌) 谢谢大家。我们25%的原材料 都是当地有机的。我们是真正意义上的烹调。
122.Those are my hands. I get up at 4 a.m.
这是我的双手。我每天清晨四点起床,
123.every day and go cook the food for the kids, because this is what we need to do.
为孩子们准备早餐, 因为这是我有责任要做的。
124.We can’t keep serving kids processed crap, full of chemicals, and expect these are going to be healthy citizens.
我们不能再继续给孩子们吃那些 加工过的垃圾, 化学物质充斥其中, 还指望着我们的孩子会长大成为健康的公民。
125.You’re not going to get the next generation or the generation after to be able to think like this if they’re not nourished.
你也别再指望你的下一代 或者下下代像我们一样进行思考了, 我是说如果他们继续食用这些垃圾食品的话。
126.If they’re eating chemicals all the time, they’re not going to be able to think.
如果他们还继续 食用这些有害的化学物质, 那么他们将会丧失思考的能力。
127.They’re not going to be smart.
他们将会越来越笨。
128.You know what? They’re just going to be sick.
你知道吗?这样下去他们只会患上疾病。
129.Now one of the things that — what happened when I went into Berkeley is I realized that, you know, this was all pretty amazing to people —
来到伯克利后,我发觉 人们对我们所做的一切充满了惊奇,
130.very, very different — and I needed to market it.
这和他们以往的做法有很大不同,我感到有责任去推广我们的做法。
131.I came up with these calendars that I sent home to every parent.
我制作了这些日历,并且把它们发放到每家每户的家长手里。
132.And these calendars really started to lay out my program.
从这个日历里可以了解到我们的整个活动计划。
133.Now I’m in charge of all the cooking classes and all the gardening classes in our school district.
现在我负责教授我们校区范围内所有的烹饪课程和 园艺课程。
134.So this is a typical menu — this is what we’re serving this week at the schools.
这是一个颇具代表性的菜单 上面写有本周学校供应的食物。
135.And you see these recipes on the side?
你们注意到旁边这些食谱了吗?
136.Those are the recipes that the kids learn in my cooking classes.
在烹饪课堂上我会把这些食物的做法教给孩子们。
137.They do tastings of these ingredients in the gardening classes.
在园艺课上,孩子们可以品尝各种各样新鲜的蔬果。
138.They also may be growing them. And we serve them in the cafeterias.
孩子们还可以亲手种植蔬果。我们的食堂为孩子们提供这些新鲜的食物。
139.If we’re going to change children’s relationship to food, it’s delicious, nutritious food in the cafeterias.
如果我们打算改变 孩子们和食堂里提供的这些既美味又有营养的食物的关系的话,
140.Hands-on experience — you’re looking in cooking and gardening classes — and academic curriculum to tie it all together.
那么你们在烹饪和园艺课堂上所看见的实际动手操作 和课堂上的理论知识两者必须结合起来。
141.Now you’ve probably garnered that I don’t love the USDA, and I don’t have any idea what to do with their pyramid — this upside down pyramid with a rainbow over the top, I don’t know.
听我讲了这么多,大家也可能知道我对美国农业部不怎么感冒了, 他们制定出的金字塔让我匪夷所思。 我搞不明白倒金字塔上为什么有一道彩虹。
142.You know, run up in to the end of the rainbow, I don’t know what you do with it. So, I came up with my own.
从底部一直到彩虹的末端, 我不知道你们是怎么看的。我设计了一个我的金字塔。
143.This is available on my website in English and Spanish, and it’s a visual way to talk to kids about food.
你们在我的网站上也可以找到,使用了英语和西班牙语两种语言。 它借助了视觉手段来给孩子们讲述食物。
144.The really tiny hamburger, the really big vegetables.
小份的汉堡和大颗的蔬菜。
145.We have to start changing this.
我们必须让这一切发生改变。
146.We have to make kids understand that their food choices make a big difference.
我们必须要让孩子们知道, 选择什么样的食物是非常重要的事情。
147.We have cooking classes — we have cooking classrooms in our schools, and why this is so important is that we now have grown a generation,
我们开设了烹饪课,在学校里我们还设置了专门的烹饪教室。 这些对我们而言意义重大的原因是 我们清楚的知道我们在养育一代人,
148.maybe two, of kids where one out of every four meals is eaten in fast food, one of every four meals is eaten in a car and one out of every last four meals is eaten in front of a TV or computer.
或者两代人,这些孩子们每四顿饭就有一顿是在快餐店里解决的, 另一顿是在车里吃的, 还有一顿是在电视机前或者电脑前完成的。
149.What are kids learning? Where is the family time?
孩子们学到了什么呢?我们的家庭时间到哪里去了呢?
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧