JoshuaKlein_乌鸦的智慧【中英文对照】

1.How many of you have seen the Alfred Hitchcock film “The Birds”?
这里有多少人看过希区柯克的电影《鸟》?
2.Any of you get really freaked out by that?
是不是认为那片子太过离奇了?
3.You might want to leave now.
要是那样的话,你现在可以走了。
4.(Laughter) So this is a vending machine for crows.
(笑声) 大家看到的是一台专门为乌鸦设计的自动售货机。
5.And over the past few days, many of you have been asking me, “How did you come to this? How did you get started doing this?”
过去几天,人们都在问我同样的问题: “你怎么开始搞这玩意的?有什么吸引你的地方吗?”
6.And it started, as with many great ideas, or many ideas you can’t get rid of anyway, at a cocktail party.
说实话,这玩意就像很多伟大的想法, 或者一些你无法在脑中驱散的想法一样, 是从一次鸡尾酒派对产生的。
7.About 10 years ago, I was at a cocktail party with a friend of mine and we’re sitting there, and he was complaining about the crows
大概十年前,我与一个朋友在一个鸡尾酒派对上, 我们坐在那,他一直在抱怨乌鸦
8.that he had seen that were all over his yard and making a big mess.
乌鸦们把他的院子搞得一团糟。
9.And he was telling me that really, we ought to try and eradicate these things.
他那时很认真的跟我说,我们得想办法消灭这些鬼东西,
10.We gotta kill them because they’re making a mess.
否则我们就不会有好日子过。
11.I said that was stupid, you know, maybe we should just train them to do something useful.
我跟他说,那才是坏主意呢, 咱们为何不训练它们,让乌鸦帮我们人类做一点有意义的事情?
12.And he said that was impossible.
他丢给我一句“那不可能”。
13.And I’m sure I’m in good company in finding that tremendously annoying — when someone tells you it’s impossible.
我相信绝对不只我一人觉得这极度恼人 ——当有人告诉你“那不可能”时。
14.So I spent the next 10 years reading about crows in my spare time.
于是决定用10年的时间在我的业余时间专门研究乌鸦。
15.(Laughter) And after 10 years of this, my wife eventually said, “Look, you know, you gotta do this thing you’ve been talking about and build the vending machine.”
(笑声) 现在10年过去了,我妻子说, “好吧,你也该把它做出来了, 你不是一直说要给乌鸦们做一个自动售货机么?”
16.So I did.
于是我就把它做出来了。
17.But part of the reason that I found this interesting is that I started noticing that we are very aware of all the species that are going
但我对这个项目感兴趣还有部分原因是因为 我开始注意到我们人类已经意识到 有很多物种因为人类无止尽的扩张
18.extinct on the planet as a result of human habitation expansion, and no-one seems to be paying attention to all the species that are actually living — that are surviving.
将会在地球上灭绝。 但貌似没人对那些 还生存在世上的物种有所关心——它们都还真正地活着。
19.And I’m talking specifically about synanthropic species, which are species that have adapted specifically for human ecologies.
这里我指的是那些长期与人共处, 并适应了人类生态系统的动物。
20.Species like rats and cockroaches and crows.
这样的动物包括老鼠、蟑螂、乌鸦。
21.And as I started looking at them, I was finding that they had hyper-adapted.
而假如你仔细观察的话,你会发现所有的这类动物都已经对人类社会产生了高度的适应性,
22.They’d become extremely adept at living with us.
并且随着继续与人生活在一起,它们的适应性还加变得更强。
23.And in return, we just tried to kill them all the time.
但反观人类呢,我们只是一直在不断屠杀它们而已。
24.And in doing so, we were breeding them for parasitism.
为了做到这点,人类用喂养的方式来让它们寄生于我们
25.We were giving them all sorts of reasons to adapt new ways.
我们给了动物们适应新环境的各种理由。
26.So for example, rats are incredibly responsive breeders.
比如:老鼠的生育能力变得超强。
27.And cockroaches, as anyone who’s tried to get rid of them knows, have become really immune to the poisons that we’re using.
而蟑螂,逮过蟑螂的人都知道, 它们已经不在乎我们的“诱饵”了。
28.So I thought, let’s build something that’s mutually beneficial.
于是我想,为何不制造出一些能让我们人类和这些“寄生虫”共同受益的东西呢?
29.Well, then let’s build something that we can both benefit from, and find some way to make a new relationship with these species.
以此和这些动物建立一种新型的关系,一种互利的关系。 从而让人类找到一条与其共处的新路子。
30.And so I built the vending machine.
这就是我制作动物专用自动售货机的理由。
31.But the story of the vending machine is a little more interesting if you know more about crows.
不过如果你多了解一下乌鸦, 这个自动售货机的故事会更有趣。
32.It turns out that crows aren’t just surviving with human beings — they’re actually really thriving.
乌鸦们不仅仅是在人类环境中‘生存’得不错—— 事实上,他们活得还很精彩。
33.They’re found everywhere on the planet except for the Arctic and the southern tip of South America.
你在地球上任何一处角落——除了两极和南美至南端—— 都可以见得到乌鸦。
34.And in all that area, they’re only rarely found breeding more than five kilometers away from human beings.
通常它们的栖息地离人类居所 不出5公里。
35.So we may not think about them, but they’re always around.
虽然你也许不会想到这一点, 可是它们确确实实一直都这么活在我们身边。
36.And not surprisingly, given the human population growth — more than half of the human population is living in cities now.
这也不奇怪,我们的地球上人口暴涨, 其中有半数以上居住在城市。
37.And out of those, nine-tenths of the human growth population is occurring in cities.
除此之外,90%的人口增长 就都发生在城市里——
38.We’re seeing a population boom with crows.
乌鸦这个种群也在经历同样的发展。
39.So bird counts are indicating that we might be seeing up to exponential growth in their numbers.
所以鸟类的数量在我们看来 将会有一个爆炸型的增长,
40.So that’s no great surprise.
这并没有什么奇怪的。
41.But what was really interesting to me was to find out that the birds were adapting in a pretty unusual way.
但令我感到吃惊的是这些鸟儿竟然学会了 通过一些奇特的方式在我们的社会里求得生存。
42.And I’ll give you an example of that.
大家看看下面的例子:
43.So this is Betty. She’s a New Caledonian crow.
它的名字是Betty,它是一只New Caledonia(北美地名)的乌鸦。
44.And these crows use sticks in the wild to get insects and whatnot out of pieces of wood.
在森林里,它们会用树枝从林木里 挑出虫子和其他食物。
45.Here she’s trying to get a piece of meat out of a tube.
此时它正尝试用铁线取出瓶子里的那块肉。
46.But the researchers had a problem.
但是研究者们遇到了一个问题。
47.They messed up and left just a stick of wire in there.
他们把试验搞砸了,因为只留下了一根线在那里。
48.And she hadn’t had the opportunity to do this before.
而Betty以前可没尝试过这样的挑战。
49.You see, it wasn’t working very well.
你可以看到,它进行得并不顺利。
50.So she adapted.
于是它想出了一个新法子。
51.Now this is completely unprompted. She had never seen this done before.
要知道,它没有看到过别的乌鸦这么做。
52.No one taught her to bend this into a hook; had shown her how it could happen.
之前也没有任何人或者别的乌鸦教它如何把线弯成钩子; 或者告诉过它可以通过这种方式捞肉。
53.But she did it all on her own.
这完全是它自己想出来的办法。
54.So keep in mind that she’s never seen this done.
请一定记得它以前从没有学过的哦。
55.Right.
就这样。
56.(Laughter) Yeah. All right.
(笑声) 对,就这样。
57.(Applause) So that’s the part where the researchers freak out.
(鼓掌) 这才是研究人员觉得不可思议的地方。
58.(Laughter) So it turns out we’ve been finding more and more that crows are really, really intelligent.
(笑声) 我们发现越来越多的证据表明 乌鸦的确是聪明的,
59.Their brains are proportionate, in the same proportion as chimpanzee brains are.
它们的大脑占躯体的比例 和大猩猩相当。
60.There’s all kinds of anecdotes for different kinds of intelligence they have.
大家也可能听过各种各样的关于乌鸦的趣闻吧。
61.For example, in Sweden, crows will wait for fishermen to drop lines through holes in the ice.
比如,在瑞典, 那里的乌鸦会趁渔人往冰隙里放钓钩的时候守在一边,
62.And when the fishermen move off, the crows fly down, reel up the lines, and eat the fish or the bait.
当渔人走了, 它们就飞过去拉起钓钩,吃掉钩上的鱼或钓饵。
63.It’s pretty annoying for the fishermen.
这可是搞得那里的渔人很烦恼。
64.On an entirely different tack, at University of Washington, they — a few years ago, were doing an experiment where they captured some crows on campus.
而在华盛顿大学, 那里的研究员几年前 做了一个截然不同的实验。
65.Some students went out and netted some crows, brought them in, and were — weighed them, and measured them and whatnot, and then let them back out again.
他们在校园里捉来一些乌鸦, 在实验室里加以标记、称量, 然后把它们放走。
66.And were entertained to discover that for the rest of the week, these crows, whenever these particular students walked around campus,
而随后的那个星期, 他们惊喜地发现,那些被放走的乌鸦 在校园里一见到那些捉过它们的学生,
67.these crows would caw at them, and run around and make their life kind of miserable.
就会冲着他们鸣叫, 并在他们周围飞来飞去,给他们的生活增添一些小烦恼。
68.They were significantly less entertained when this went on for the next week.
但之后几个星期还是如此,他们就不再那么惊喜了。
69.And the next month. And after summer break.
甚至到了下个月,到了夏季学期结束,
70.Until they finally graduated and left campus — and glad to get away, I’m sure — came back sometime later, and found the crows still remembered them.
到了他们毕业离校了—— 我相信他们是很高兴地离去的—— 可当他们偶尔回校来看看时,那些乌鸦还是记得他们。
71.So — the moral being, don’t piss off crows.
所以——大家看到了吧,千万别惹乌鸦。
72.So now, students at the University of Washington that are studying these crows do so with a giant wig and a big mask.
正是这样的缘故, 现在华盛顿大学做乌鸦研究的学生 都带上巨大的假发,还套上面具。
73.(Laughter) It’s fairly interesting.
(笑声) 这真是令人哑然的一件事。
74.So we know that these crows are really smart, but the more I dug into this, the more I found that they actually have an even more significant adaptation.
以上说的无非是要证明乌鸦是非常聪明的, 但我研究得越是深入, 越是觉得它们的智慧要比我们想象的高出一个层次。
75.Video: Crows have become highly skilled at making a living in these new urban environments.
视频:在新的城市环境中, 乌鸦们的谋生技能正在变得越来越娴熟。
76.In this Japanese city, they have devised a way of eating a food that normally they can’t manage — drop it among the traffic.
这是一座日本城市, 这里的乌鸦发明了一种吃果仁的办法—— 把坚果丢到车道上。
77.The problem now is collecting the bits without getting run over.
然后飞走, 等待汽车开过。
78.Wait for the light to stop the traffic.
之后它们在马路边等待绿灯,
79.Then, collect your cracked nut in safety.
然后飞到马路中央安全地衔走那颗果仁
80.(Laughter) (Applause) Joshua Klein: Yeah, yeah. Pretty interesting.
(笑声) (掌声) Joshua Klein: 看看,这是不是挺有趣的?
81.So what’s significant about this isn’t that crows are using cars to crack nuts.
不过,有趣的倒不是借助过往车辆压开果核的做法,
82.In fact, that’s old hat for crows.
事实上,乌鸦老早就学会了这门手艺了。
83.This happened about 10 years ago in a place called Sendai City, at a driving school in the suburbs of Tokyo.
刚才大家看到的景象 发生在10年前东京市郊的 一家驾驶学校附近。
84.And since that time, all of the crows in the neighborhood are picking up this behavior.
从那时开始, 附近的乌鸦也学会了这样的吃坚果的方式。
85.And now, every crow within five kilometers is standing by a sidewalk waiting to collect its lunch.
如今,方圆五公里内的乌鸦都在人行道旁守候着, 等待过往车辆为他们带来午餐。
86.So they’re learning from each other. And research bears this out.
乌鸦通过互相学习,都掌握了这种技巧。
87.Parents seem to be teaching their young.
乌鸦父母还教会自己的孩子这样的技巧呢。
88.They’ve learned from their peers; they’ve learned from their enemies.
它们向同伴学习,也向它们的敌人学习。
89.If I have a little extra time, I’ll tell you about a case of crow infidelity that illustrates that nicely.
如果我还有更多演讲时间,我会告诉你们一个有关乌鸦背信的案例 来更好地证明我的观点。
90.The point being that they’ve developed cultural adaptation.
最关键的是它们学会了适应不同的生态文化。
91.And as we heard yesterday, that’s the Pandora’s Box that’s getting human beings in trouble, and we’re starting to see it with them.
就如昨天我们听到的那样, 是潘多拉之盒将人类引入混乱, 现在是开始着手解决它的时候了。
92.They’re able to very quickly and very flexibly adapt to new challenges and new resources in their environment, which is really useful if you live in a city.
他们能快速且融洽地适应 新的挑战及环境中的新资源, 对于城市生活来说,这可真有用。
93.So we know that there’s lots of crows.
好了,现在我们都知道城市里有大量的乌鸦,
94.We found out they’re really smart, and we found out that they can teach each other.
它们很聪明,还懂得相互间分享生存的秘诀。
95.And when all this became clear to me, I realized the only obvious thing to do is build a vending machine.
当我知道这一切以后, 我决定要专门为它们做一台自动售货机。
96.So that’s what we did.
并且还做成功了。
97.This is a vending machine for crows.
这就是乌鸦专用自动售货机:
98.And it uses Skinnerian training to shape their behavior over four stages.
我们用斯金纳(操作性条件反射)理论,分四阶段训练法来训练乌鸦。
99.It’s pretty simple.
其实也很简单。

ted演讲稿中英文对照

JosephLekuton_一个肯尼亚的寓言【中英文对照】

2024-3-25 14:51:51

ted演讲稿中英文对照

JuanEnriquez_令人吃惊的新科技【中英文对照】

2024-3-26 14:11:30

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索