JohnHodgman_漫谈时光流逝【中英文对照】

1.You all know this story.
你们都知道这个故事.
2.In the summer of 1950, Enrico Fermi, the Italian-American physicist and atomic pile builder, went to lunch at Los Alamos National Laboratory
在1950年的夏天, Enrico Fermi, 美籍意大利心理学家 和原子堆创造者 在Los Alamos国家实验室和一些同事们共进午餐,
3.and joined some colleagues there, and asked them a question: “Where is everybody?”
问他们一些问题: “大家都在哪里?”
4.This confused his colleagues, obviously, because they were sitting right there with him.
很显然,这句话把大家整蒙了. 因为他们正跟他坐在一起.
5.And then he had to clarify that he wasn’t talking about them.
当时他不得不解释说他不是在跟他们讲话.
6.He was talking about the space aliens.
他当时正和太空外星人讲话.
7.You see, this was only a few years after the supposed flying saucer crash at Roswell, New Mexico.
你看,这件事发生在 新墨西哥州的罗斯威尔 飞碟坠毁事件的几年之后.
8.And even though that turned out to be nothing, nothing at all — (Laughter) merely a downed weather balloon piloted by small hairless men
虽然结果是什么都没有, 什么都没有– (笑声) 仅仅是天上掉下来的一个气象气球, 一个张着大嘴的秃子
9.with slits for mouths.
驾驶的气球.
10.Still, America had gone saucer-mad, even famous scientists who were eating lunch.
然而, 美国人已经对飞碟过敏了, 即使是正在吃饭的 著名科学家.
11.Fermi’s reasoning, if I may paraphrase badly, is that the universe is so vast that it stands to reason there should be other intelligent life out there.
Fermi的推论, 恕我诠释的不好, 这宇宙是如此的宽广 顺理成章 会有其它睿智的生命存在于宇宙中.
12.And the universe is so old that unless that unless we were the very first civilization ever to evolve, we should have some evidence of their existence by now.
而且宇宙是如此的古老 除非我们是第一个进化的文明, 我们现在应该有一些外星人存在的证据.
13.And yet, to the best of our knowledge, we are alone.
然而, 据我们所知, 我们是孤独的.
14.”Where is everybody?” asked Fermi, and his colleagues had no answer.
“大家都在哪里?” Fermi问, 他和他的同事都没法回答.
15.Fermi then went on with the same blunt logic to disprove fairies, Sasquatch, God, the possibility of love — and thereafter, as you know,
Fermi之后就继续用这种愚笨的逻辑 去反驳童话,还有 大脚野人, 上帝, 真爱的可能性– 再后来, 你也知道,
16.Enrico Fermi ate alone.
Enrico Fermi自此独自用餐.
17.(Laughter) Now, I am not a scientist.
(笑声) 现在, 我不是一名科学家.
18.I have never built an atomic pile.
我从来没创造过原子堆.
19.Although, I might argue that, technically, every pile is atomic.
虽然, 我很可能会争论,技术上讲. 任何一个堆都是由原子构成的.
20.(Laughter) However, with respect, I might point out two possibilities that Enrico Fermi perhaps did not consider.
(笑声) 无论如何, 带着景仰, 我要指出Enrico Fermi也许 没有考虑到的两种可能.
21.One is that the aliens might be very far away.
一种是外星人也许 非常非常远.
22.Perhaps, I dare say, even on other planets.
大概吧, 我敢说, 甚至在其它的行星上.
23.The other possibility — (Laughter) is, perhaps, Enrico Fermi himself was an alien.
另一种可能性 — (笑声) 就是, 有可能 Enrico Fermi本人 就是一个外星人.
24.(Laughter) Think about it.
(笑声) 想像一下.
25.Isn’t it a little convenient that in the midst of the World War, out of nowhere, suddenly an Italian scientist showed up with an amazing new technology
在世界大战期间, 一个不知道哪里来的意大利科学家 突然带着一种可以改变世界的 令人吃惊的新技术
26.that would transform everything in the world and darken our history of the human species forever after?
出现在世界面前, 并且自此改变了人类历史. 这是不是太轻松了?
27.And isn’t it a little strange that he required no payment for this?
并且是不是有点奇怪 他并不要求任何报酬?
28.That he asked for only one thing: a gift of two healthy sperm whales?
他只要求一件事: 要两个健康的抹香鲸作为礼物?
29.That’s — that’s not true.
当然, 那并不是真的.
30.But it is strange.
不过太怪异了.
31.(Laughter) And if Enrico Fermi was indeed a space alien, wouldn’t he be the first to have tried to convince his fellow scientists that the space aliens are not already here?
(笑声) 并且如果 Enrico Fermi 当时真是一个外星人, 他为什么不先去 尝试说服他身边的科学家 外星人还没有来过?
32.For it is given in certain UFO-ology or UFOlogy circles, that the aliens are already here and have been for millennia.
对于发表的飞碟学说 或者不明飞行物学说, 他们认为外星人曾经来访并且千年之前就曾来过.
33.That they have walked among us in disguise, observing us, guiding our evolution from ape to man — if you believe in that sort of thing.
他们带着伪装跟我们一起生活, 观察我们, 引导我们进化 从猿到人 — 如果你相信这种东西的话.
34.And occasionally, kidnapping us in their flying saucers and taking us away to have sex with us in pyramids.
并且, 他们偶然把我们绑架到他们的飞碟 并把我们带到金字塔里发生性关系.
35.(Laughter) It’s a difficult theory to discount, I think you’ll agree.
(笑声) 这是一个没有人相信的深奥的理论, 我想你也这么认为的.
36.(Laughter) For even in my own life, there are memories I have that are difficult to explain — happenings that are so odd and unaccountably weird,
(笑声) 即使在我的生活中 也有些回忆是我很难 能够解释的通的 — 有些事情就那么非常神奇的,莫明奇妙的发生了.
37.that it is difficult to imagine they were not the result of prolonged and frequent contact with aliens throughout my life.
所以很难想像 我们的一生中, 他们始终坚持并且频繁的联系外星人
38.For how else will you explain the amazing and absolutely true close encounters that I had and will describe to you now?
对于其它你要说的 那些我亲身经历的 令人吃惊并且绝对真实的遭遇 我现在就告诉你.
39.Encounter One: Ocean City, New Jersey, 1980.
遭遇一: 1980年 新泽西的欧欣城.
40.This was the summer when the special edition of of “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” was released.
那是个夏天, 正好赶上《第三类接触》的 特别版发布.
41.And I went on vacation with my parents to the Jersey shore.
我和父母一起去新泽西的滨海度假.
42.Within 12 hours, I was horribly sunburned, just like Richard Dreyfuss in the movie.
我在12个小时内被严重的晒伤, 严重的就像电影里的Richard Dreyfuss.
43.(Laughter) And so I spent the rest of the vacation largely sitting outside our little rental house at night, the sidewalk still warm from the sun,
(笑声) 所以我剩余的假期, 基本上只能在晚上坐在我们租来的小房子外面, 享受人行道残存的太阳余温,
44.watching the skies for UFOs.
寻找着天空的不明飞行物.
45.What did I see? Stars, satellites, blinking airplanes —  typical sky junk.
我都是看到了什么? 星星, 人造卫星, 闪砾的飞机 — 典型的天空垃圾.
46.Occasionally, kids would come and join me and watch, but their necks soon got sore, and they would go off to the boardwalk to play video games and mingle with humans.
小朋友们偶尔会过来, 加入我一起观察, 他们的脖子很快就酸了, 所以他们离开人行道 去玩游戏机或找别人玩.
47.I was pretty good at the video games. I was not very good at the other part, so I stayed alone with the cosmos.
我曾很擅长游戏机. 但我不擅长别的, 所以我还是一个人跟宇宙呆着吧.
48.And that’s when it happened.
就是在这时发生的,
49.An elderly couple came walking down the street.
一对老夫妇在街上溜达.
50.I would say they were in their late seventies, and I would say that they were on a date, because he was wearing a very neat little suit
我觉得他们有七十多了, 还觉得他们在约会, 因为他穿着很整洁的套装
51.with a yellow tie, brown suit.
棕色套装里还打着黄领带.
52.And she was wearing a cardigan, because it was now fully night now, and a chill was coming in off the ocean.
因为并不是深夜, 女士穿了一件羊毛上衣, 凉风从海面上吹过来.
53.I remember, for some reason, that they were exactly the same height.
我记得, 出于某种原因, 他们身高相同.
54.And then they stopped, and the man turned to me and said, “What are you looking for, flying saucers?”
然后他们停住了, 这个男人转向身 问我, “你在看什么呢?” “飞碟?”
55.(Laughter) You have to admit, that’s a pretty boss piece of detective work for an old man on a date.
(笑声) 你不得不承认, 这个老男人在约会时 非常像一名侦探.
56.But what was stranger still — and even I realized it at the time, as a nine-year-old child — was that they stopped at all.
但还有很奇怪的是 — 我意识到了在那个时间, 作为一个九岁的小孩 — 他们停下来
57.That this old man would interrupt his moonlight stroll with his sweetheart with the precise reason of making fun of a child.
这个老男人在跟他女朋友在月光下停下来 用一个准确的问题 去跟一个小孩看玩笑.
58.”Oh,” he said, “little green men.”
“哦.” 他说, “小绅士.”
59.And then his girlfriend joined in, too.
这时, 他女朋友也加入进来.
60.”There’s no such thing as space men,” she said.
“外星人根本不存在,” 她说.
61.”There’s no such thing.”
“没那种东西.”
62.And then they both laughed. Ha, ha, ha.
然后他们同时哈哈一笑.
63.I looked around.
我环顾四周.
64.The street was entirely empty.
街道已经全空了.
65.I had stopped hearing the sound of the ocean.
我听不到大海的声音.
66.It was as though time had stopped.
仿佛时间停止了.
67.I did not know why they were teasing me.
我不知道他们为什么逗我.
68.I looked into their strangely angry faces, and I remember wondering, are they wearing rubber masks?
我观察他们陌生的脸孔, 并且我感觉很奇怪 他们是不是带的橡胶面具?
69.(Laughter) And what would be behind those rubber masks, if they were?
(笑声) 躲在面具后面的是什么?
70.Giant almond-shaped, unblinking eyes?
他们是不是有一双巨大的, 一眨不眨的杏仁一样的双眼?
71.Slits for mouths?
裂缝一样的嘴巴?
72.The old man crooked his finger as though he were firing a gun, and then he made laser sounds.
这个做了一个开枪的手势, 并且他发出激光枪的声音,
73.Kew, kew, kew — “Watch out.”
咻,咻,咻– “小心!”
74.And they turned at once and walked away.
然后他们转身接着散步.
75.The old man reached out his knobbly claw for the woman’s hand, and found it, and left me alone.
那个老男人伸出 他年迈粗糙的手 拉住女人的手, 然后留下我一个人.
76.Now, you could describe this as a simple misunderstanding — a strange encounter among humans.
现在, 你可以把这个当成一次简单的误会 — 一个人类之间的奇怪的邂逅.
77.Maybe it was swamp gas, but — (Laughter) I know what I saw.
也许它只是浮云, 但是 — (笑声) 我知道我看到了什么.
78.Close Encounter Two: Brookline, Massachusetts, 1984.
遭遇二: 1984年马萨诸塞的布鲁克林
79.I went to see the movie “Dune,”
我去那里看电影”沙丘”
80.and a girl talked to me. Now, on its face — (Laughter) this is impossible on its face, I realize — but it is absolutely true.
一个女孩跟我搭讪, 从表面上看 — (笑声) 我意识到,这从表面上看是不可能的 — 但它确实是真的.
81.It was opening night, naturally.
当时是首场演出. 自然地.
82.I went with my friend Tim McGonigal, who sat on my left.
我跟我的朋友Tim McGonigal一起去看的, 他坐我左边.
83.On my right was the girl in question.
我右边是问我问题的女孩儿.
84.She had long, curly black hair, a blue jean jacket.
她有长长的,卷曲的头发, 蓝色的工服.
85.I remember, she had some sort of injury to her ankle, an Ace bandage, and she had crutches.
我记得,她的脚有点受伤, 有绑带和拐杖.
86.She was very tall, I would say.
我认为她很高,
87.I was starting high school at the time. I would say she was a junior, but I had never seen her before. She didn’t go to my school.
我那时是高年级学员. 我觉得她应该是低年级的, 但我从来没有见到过他. 她也不去我们学校.
88.I didn’t know her name, and I never will.
我不知道她的名字, 知道也白搭.
89.She was sitting with someone who I presume was her mother, and they were talking about the novel, “Dune.”
她跟一个像她妈妈一样的人一起坐着, 她们正在讨论小说<沙丘>
90.They were both big fans, mother and daughter — very unusual.
她们都是爱好者, 妈妈和女儿 — 这不常见.
91.They were talking about how their favorite characters were the giant sandworms.
她们正在讨论最喜欢的角色 是那个巨大的沙虫.
92.And then it got stranger.
这时, 事情变的更怪了.
93.That’s when she turned to me and said, “Are you looking forward to seeing the movie?”
那时, 她转向我并问道, “你期待看这部电影吗?”
94.(Laughter) First of all, I was embarrassed because I had not read the novel “Dune” at that time.
(笑声) 刚开始, 我很尴尬 因为我从来没读过小说<沙丘>.
95.I was merely a connoisseur of movies featuring desert planets, as I still am.
我仅仅一个沙漠行星主演电影的 一个影片鉴赏家, 现在也是.
96.(Laughter) But it was also the tone of how she asked the question: apropos of nothing, like she didn’t even care about the answer, as though she just wanted to talk to me.
(笑声) 但她还是问了很多的问题: 没什么实质的东西, 就像她根本不介意答案一样, 仿佛她只是想跟我聊天一样.
97.I did not know what to say. I said, “Yes.”
我不知道要说什么. 我只说”是的.”
98.I did not even turn my head.
我甚至都不转过头来.
99.The movie began.
电影开始了.
100.I need not remind you that this was David Lynch’s version of “Dune,”
我不需要提醒你那部电影是David Lynch版本,
101.in which all of the characters were sexy and deformed at the same time.
在所有的角色里, 畸形和性感同时存在.
102.(Laughter) There was a character called the Third-Stage Guild Navigator, which was a kind of giant, floating fetus creature that lived in a giant tank with this orange mist
(笑声) 有一个字符称为剧场版航海家, 这是一个巨大的池塘,她孕育着生命 这个巨大的池塘散发着香橙的
103.of psychedelic spice swirling around him, allowing him to bend space and time.
迷幻味道 环绕着他, 让他有能力扭曲时间与空间.

ted演讲稿中英文对照

JohnFrancis_行走地球【中英文对照】

2024-3-25 14:45:38

ted演讲稿中英文对照

JohnMaeda_约翰.梅达的设计之路【中英文对照】

2024-3-25 14:47:23

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索