JohnFrancis_行走地球【中英文对照】

1.(Music) (Applause) Thank you for being here.
(音乐) (掌声) 感谢你们今天到场。
2.And I say thank you for being here, because I was silent for 17 years.
我说感谢你们今天到场, 因为我已经有17年没有开口说话了。
3.And the first words that I spoke were in Washington, DC, on the 20th anniversary of Earth Day.
而我再次开口说话是在首都华盛顿 是在地球日20周年纪念日的当天。
4.And my family and friends had gathered there to hear me speak.
我的家人和朋友们聚在那里等着听我开口说话。
5.And I said, “Thank you for being here.”
而我说的第一句话就是:“感谢你们今天到场。”
6.My mother, out in the audience, she jumped up, “Hallelujah, Johnny*s talking!”
我的妈妈在人群中跳了起来, “哈利路亚,小约翰在说话。”
7.(Laughter) Imagine if you were quiet for 17 years and your mother was out in the audience, say.
(笑声) 想象一下如果是你沉默了17年 而你的妈妈那个时候在人群之中蹦出来这么一句话。
8.My dad said to me, “That*s one” — I*ll explain that.
我爸爸对我说 :“总算了却了一件事。” 我过会儿解释。
9.But I turned around because I didn*t recognize where my voice was coming from.
然而我转过身,因为我没有弄明白我的声音是从哪儿来的。
10.I hadn*t heard my voice in 17 years, so I turned around and I looked and I said, “God, who’s saying what I*m thinking?”
我已经有17年没有听到过自己的声音了, 于是我转过身,看了看说: “天哪,谁把我脑子里想的说出来了?”
11.And then I realized it was me, you know, and I kind of laughed.
之后我意识到是我自己,我笑了。
12.And I could see my father — “Yeah, he really is crazy.”
我能看见我爸爸在说:“是的,他真是疯了。”
13.Well, I want to take you on this journey.
好吧,我想带你踏上这段旅程。
14.And the journey, I believe, is a metaphor for all of our journeys.
这个旅程象征着我们所有人的历程。
15.And so, even though this one is kind of unusual, I want you to think about your own journey.
尽管我的这段旅程很不寻常, 但我想让你们思考你们各自的历程。
16.My journey began in 1971 when I witnessed two oil tankers collide beneath the Golden Gate, and a half a million gallons of oil spilled into the bay.
我的旅程开始于1971年, 当我亲眼看见两辆油罐车在金门大桥下相撞, 50万加仑的原油涌入港湾。
17.It disturbed me so much that I decided that I was going to give up riding and driving in motorized vehicles.
这一幕令我深感不安, 于是我决定再也不骑或驾驶任何机动交通工具。
18.That*s a big thing in California.
这在加州可是个大事,
19.And it was a big thing in my little community of Point Reyes Station in Inverness, California, because there was only about maybe 350 people there in the winter 每 this was back in ’71 now.
在我的小社区里更是件大事。 我的社区是加州因弗内斯的雷斯岬站, 当时是1971年冬季,那里大概只有350人。
20.And so when I came in and I started walking around, people — they just knew what was going on.
因此当我开始步行去往各处的时候, 人们才发现出了什么事。
21.And people would drive up next to me and say, “John, what are you doing?”
他们就会把车开到我身边。 对我说:“约翰,你这是干嘛呢?”
22.And I*d say, “Well, I*m walking for the environment.”
我回答:“为了环境保护,我在走路。”
23.And they said, “No, you*re walking to make us look bad, right?
他们说:“ 不对,你在走路 为了让我们看起来像做错了事,对吧?”
24.You*re walking to make us feel bad.”
你在走路为了让我们感觉难堪。”
25.And maybe there was some truth to that, because I thought that if I started walking everyone would, you know, follow.
然而也许这里面有些道理, 于是我就想如果我开始走路的话,大家都会跟我一起行走。
26.Because of the oil, everybody talked about the polllution.
因为那次原油泄露事件,每个人都在谈论污染问题。
27.And so I argued with people about that, I argued and I argued.
于是我跟大家争论这个问题,我不停地争论。
28.I called my parents up.
我把我的父母叫起来,
29.I said, “I*ve given up riding and driving in cars.”
跟他们说:“我再也不开车了。”
30.My dad said, “Why didn*t you do that when you were 16?”
我爸爸说:“你怎么不在16岁的时候就这样做呢?”
31.(Laughter) I didn*t know about the environment then.
(笑声) 那时候我还小,还不知道环境问题。
32.They*re back in Philadelphia.
他们回到了费城。
33.And so I told my mother, “I*m happy though, I*m really happy.”
我对妈妈说:“我非常高兴,我真地很高兴。”
34.She said, “If you were happy, son, you wouldn*t have to say it.”
她说:“儿子,如果你是真高兴的话,你就不需要说出来。”
35.Mothers are like that.
妈妈总是这样的。
36.And so, on my 27th birthday I decided, because I argued so much and I talk so much, you see, that I was going to stop speaking for just one day — one day — to give it a rest.
于是,在我27岁生日的那天,因为之前我争论得太多, 我也说得太多, 因此我决定要停止说话 一天– 就一天 –歇一歇。
37.And so I did.
于是我就这样做了。
38.I got up in the morning and I didn*t say a word.
我早上起床,没有说一个字。
39.And I have to tell you, it was a very moving experience, because for the first time, I began listening — in a long time.
我得跟你说,这个经历很感动。 因为长久以来,这是我第一次开始聆听。
40.And what I heard, it kind of disturbed me.
我所听到的令我很不安。
41.Because what I used to do, when I thought I was listening, was I would listen just enough to hear what people had to say and think that I could — I knew what they were going to say,
因为从前我原本以为我在听的时候, 我只是听到人们必须要说的那点东西就够了, 我认为我都知道他们想要说什么,
42.and so I stopped listening.
所以我就不再往下听了。
43.And in my mind, I just kind of raced ahead and thought of what I was going to say back, while they were still finishing up.
在我的脑子里,我就开始往前赶, 想着我要怎么回答他们, 而这时他们其实还没把话说完呢。
44.And then I would launch in.
但我已经开始回答他们,
45.Well, that just ended communication.
以便结束这段对话。
46.So on this first day I actually listened.
因此这才是我真正聆听的第一天。
47.And it was very sad for me, because I realized that for those many years I had not been learning.
而这让我很难过, 因为我意识到这之前的那么多年里我根本没有在听。
48.I was 27. I thought I knew everything.
当时我27岁,我以为我什么都知道,
49.I didn*t.
其实不是。
50.And so I decided I*d better do this for another day, and another day, and another day until finally, I promised myself for a year I would keep quiet
于是我决定我要再多坚持一天, 再多一天,再多一天,直到后来, 我对自己承诺我要一整年都保持沉默,
51.because I started learning more and more and I needed to learn more.
因为我开始学到越来越多的东西,而且我需要学到更多的。
52.So for a year I said I would keep quiet, and then on my birthday I would reassess what I had learned and maybe I would talk again.
于是我决定一年里都保持沉默, 在我下一年生日的当天,我会再次评估我所学到的, 然后也许我会再次开口说话。
53.Well, that lasted 17 years.
唔,这一下子17年过去了。
54.Now during that time 每 that 17 years 每 I walked and I played the banjo and I painted and I wrote my journal and I tried to study the environment by reading books.
在这17年当中,我行走,我弹班卓琴, 我画画, 我写日志, 我通过看书试图研究环境问题。
55.And I decided that I was going to go to school. So I did.
我决定我要去上学,于是我就去了。
56.I walked up to Ashland, Oregon, where they were offering an environmental studies degree.
我走到俄勒冈州的阿什兰市, 那里有关于环境研究的学位。
57.It*s only 500 miles.
只有500英里远。
58.And I went into the Registrar*s office and …
我走进报名处,接下来,
59.What, what, what?
什么,什么,什么?
60.I had a newspaper clipping.
我拿着一份报纸剪报。
61.Oh, so you really want to go to school here?
噢,那你真地想来这里上学?
62.You don*t #?
你不会?
63.We have a special program for you. They did.
我们有一个特别的项目专门针对你这类情况。他们确实有。
64.And in those two years, I graduated with my first degree — a bachelor*s degree.
在接下来的两年里,我拿到了第一个学位– 学士学位。
65.And my father came out, he was so proud.
我爸爸过来了,他为我感到十分骄傲。
66.He said, “Listen, we*re really proud of you son, but what are you going to do with a bachelor*s degree?
他说:“听着,我们非常为你骄傲 儿子, 但是接下来你要用这个学士学位做些什么呢?
67.You don*t ride in cars, you don*t talk, you*re going to have to do those things.”
你不开车,你也不说话, 你一定躲不开这两样的。”
68.(Laughter) I hunched my shoulder, I picked my backpack up again and I started walking.
(笑声) 我耸了耸肩,我再次拿起了背包, 开始行走。
69.I walked all the way up to Port Townsend, Washington, where I built a wooden boat, rode it across Puget Sound.
我一路走到华盛顿的汤森港,在那儿我造了一艘木船, 划过普吉特海湾,
70.Idaho — walked across Washington, Idaho and down to Missoula, Montana.
走过华盛顿州, 爱达荷州 一路来到蒙大拿的米苏拉。
71.I had written the University of Montana two years earlier and said I’d like to go to school there.
两年前我就给蒙大拿大学写过信, 跟他们说我想去那里上学。
72.I said I’d be there in about two years.
我说我大约两年之内能到那里。
73.(Laughter) And I was there. I showed up in two years and they — I tell this story because they really helped me.
(笑声) 两年后我真地到那儿了。 我讲这个故事因为他们给了我很大帮助。
74.There are two stories in Montana.
在蒙大拿有两个关于我的故事。
75.The first story is I didn*t have any money — that*s a sign I used a lot.
第一个故事是说我身无分文,这是我经常用的一个手势。
76.And they said,”Don’t worry about that.”
他们对我说:“不用担心。”
77.The director of the program said, “Come back tomorrow.”
项目负责人告诉我:“明天再过来。”
78.He gave me 150 dollars, and he said, “Register for one credit.
他给了我150美元, 他说:“先注册一个学分。
79.You*re going to go to South America, aren*t you?”
你会去南美洲,好吗?”
80.And I said — Rivers and lakes, the hydrological systems, South America.
我说 那些河流湖泊, 水文系统, 南美洲。
81.So I did that.
于是我就照做了。
82.He came back, he said to me, he said, “OK John, now that you’ve registered for that one credit, you can have a key to an office, you can matriculate —
他回来了, 跟我说, 他说:“ 好了,约翰,现在你已经注册了一个学分, 那么你就能拿一把办公室的钥匙了,你可以正式入学了,
83.you*re matriculating so you can use the library.
你可以用学校的图书馆了。
84.And what we*re going to do is we*re going to have all of the professors allow you to go to class, they*re going to save your grade
我们要做的是 让所有的教授允许你去上他们的课, 他们会先为你保留学分,
85.and when we figure out how to get you the rest of the money, then you can register for that class and they*ll give you the grade.”
然后等我们想出办法再帮你筹到余下的钱, 到时候你就能注册全部课程,他们就会给你全部学分。”
86.Wow, they don*t do that in graduate schools, I don*t think.
喔,在研究生院里他们一般不会这样做的,我这么觉得。
87.But I use that story because they really wanted to help me.
但我讲这个故事,因为他们确实想帮助我。
88.They saw that I was really interested in the environment, and they really wanted to help me along the way.
他们也看出来我对环境研究非常感兴趣, 他们很想在这方面助我一臂之力。
89.And during that time, I actually taught classes without speaking.
在那期间,我还确实教了课但没有说话。
90.And I had 13 students when I first walked into the class, and I explained with a friend, who could interpret my sign language, that I was John Francis, I was walking around the world,
我第一次走进教室的时候,那里有13个学生, 我让一个朋友帮我解释,他可以翻译我的手势, 我告诉学生们,我是约翰弗朗西斯,我正在世界各地行走,
91.I didn*t talk and this was the last time this person*s going to be here interpreting for me.
我不说话,而且这是最后一次 这个人会在这里帮我翻译。
92.All the students sat around and they went# (Laughter) I could see they were looking for the schedule to see when they could get out.
所有在座的学生都是这样的反应。 (笑声) 我能看出来他们在查课程安排 看什么时候能结束。
93.They had to take that class with me.
他们不得不上我的课。
94.Two weeks later, everyone was trying to get into our class.
然而两周后,所有的学生都想方设法申请加入我的课。
95.And I learned in that class — because I would do things like this …
我也从他们身上学到很多,因为我上课的时候只做手势,
96.and they were all gathered around, going, what’s he trying to say?
于是所有的学生聚在一起讨论,他到底想说什么?
97.I don’t know, I think he’s talking about clear cutting. Yeah, clear cutting.
我不知道,我觉得他在讲皆伐。对,就是皆伐。
98.No, no, no, that’s not clear cutting, that*s — he’s using a handsaw.
不不不,他想讲的不是皆伐,他在示意使用手锯。
99.Well, you can*t clear cut with a …
如果用一个,你不可能做到皆伐,
100.Yes, you can clear cut …
可以的,你可以皆伐,
101.No, I think he*s talking about selective forestry.
不,我觉得他讲选择性林业。
102.Now this was a discussion class and we were having a discussion.
这就是一堂讨论课,我们正在进行激烈讨论。
103.I just backed out of that, you know, and I just kind of kept the fists from flying.
我不参与,让学生们讨论去,而我要做的基本上就是多做手势。
104.But what I learned was that sometimes I would make a sign and they said things that I absolutely did not mean, but I should have.
但我学到的是,有时候,我做一个手势, 他们会理解出我完全没有想到的意思, 但我原本应该想到这层意思。
105.And so what came to me is if you were a teacher and you were teaching, if you weren*t learning you probably weren*t teaching very well.
因此我得出的结论是,如果你是个老师, 在教课,如果你没有同时在学的话, 你可能也教不好课。
106.And so I went on.
我就这样一直坚持下去。
107.My dad came out to see me graduate and, you know, I did the deal, and my father said, “We*re really proud of you son, but … ”
我爸爸过来参加我的毕业典礼, 在仪式结束后, 我爸爸对我说:“儿子我们真地为你感到骄傲, 但是”
108.You know what went on, he said, “You*ve got to start riding and driving and start talking.
你们也知道接下来他会说什么, 他说:“你真地应该开始开车和说话了。
109.What are you going to do with a master*s degree?”
要不你拿这个硕士学位干什么呢?”
110.I hunched my shoulder, I got my backpack and I went on to the University of Wisconsin.
我耸耸肩,拿起我的背包, 我继续走一路走到威斯康星大学。
111.I spent two years there writing on oil spills.
我在那里待了两年写关于原油泄露的论文。
112.No one was interested in oil spills.
当时没有人对原油泄露感兴趣。
113.But something happened — Exxon Valdez.
但后来发生的事– 埃克森瓦尔迪兹号油轮泄露事件。
114.And I was the only one in the United States writing on oil spills.
当时我是全美国唯一一个写原油泄露的论文的人。
115.My dad came out again.
我爸爸又来找我了。
116.He said, “I don’t know how you do this, son, I mean, you don’t ride in cars, you don*t talk.
他说:“我不知道你是怎么做到的,儿子, 我是说,你不开车,你也不说话。
117.My sister said maybe I should leave you alone, because you seem to be doing a lot better when you*re not saying anything.”
我姐姐劝我,也许我不该再管你, 因为你不说话的时候, 似乎能做得更好。”
118.(Laughter) Well, I put on my backpack again.
(笑声) 我再次背上背包,
119.I put my banjo and I walked all the way to the East Coast, put my foot in the Atlantic Ocean 每 it was seven years and one day it took me to walk across the United States.
带上我的班卓琴, 一路走到东海岸, 把脚伸进大西洋里, 我花了七年零一天横穿美国。
120.And on Earth Day, 1990, the 20th anniversary of Earth Day, that*s when I began to speak.
在1990年的世界地球日, 在第20个世界地球日的那天,我开口说话了。

ted演讲稿中英文对照

JoeDeRisi_解决医学难题【中英文对照】

2024-3-24 11:10:52

ted演讲稿中英文对照

JohnHodgman_漫谈时光流逝【中英文对照】

2024-3-25 14:46:34

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索