1.I was speaking to a group of about 300 kids, ages six to eight, at a children’s museum, and I brought with me a bag full of legs, similar to the kinds of things you see up here,
我曾经和一群大约300人的六到八岁的孩子们 在儿童博物馆交谈 我随身带着一个装满义肢的包 和你们在这里所看到的相像
2.and had them laid out on a table, for the kids.
然后我把它们摆在一个桌子上,给孩子们看
3.And, from my experience, you know, kids are naturally curious about what they don’t know, or don’t understand, or what is foreign to them.
从我的经验来看,要知道,孩子们天生对 他们不知道、不明白 或者不熟悉的东西好奇。
4.They only learn to be frightened of those differences when an adult influences them to behave that way, and maybe censors that natural curiosity,
只有在成年人的影响下 他们才会学会去害怕 与生俱来的好奇心就这样被抹杀
5.or you know, reins in the question-asking in the hopes of them being polite little kids.
或者是约束孩子们问问题 好让他们做有礼貌的好孩子
6.So, I just pictured a first grade teacher out in the lobby with these unruly kids, saying, “Now, whatever you do, don’t stare at her legs.”
想象一下,大厅里一个一年级老师 带着一群不守规矩的孩子,老师会说:”好啦,不管你干什么, 就是别盯着她的腿看。“
7.But, of course, that’s the point.
但是,问题就在这儿
8.That’s why I was there, I wanted to invite them to look and explore.
我之所以会在那儿,就是想让孩子们观察和探索
9.So I made a deal with the adults that the kids could come in, without any adults, for two minutes, on their own.
所以我就和成年人达成了协议 让孩子们在们有成人陪伴下 自己待两分钟
10.The doors open, the kids descend on this table of legs, and they are poking and prodding, and they’re wiggling toes, and they’re trying to put their full weight on the sprinting leg
门打开后,孩子们俯身摆弄起义肢 他们这儿戳戳那儿碰碰,摇摇脚趾头 还试着把整个身体压在短跑义肢上
11.to see what happens with that.
看看会有什么反应
12.And I said, “Kids, really quickly — I woke up this morning, I decided I wanted to be able to jump over a house — nothing too big, two or three stories —
我说道:”孩子们,抓紧啊– 我早上起来,一心想要能够一下子跳过比房子 没什么大不了的,不过两三层的高度
13.but, if you could think of any animal, any superhero, any cartoon character, anything you can dream up right now, what kind of legs would you build me?”
但是,想想哪些动物、哪些超级英雄、那些卡通人物 你能想到的任何一个 你会给我造一副什么样的腿呢?“
14.And immediately a voice shouted, “Kangaroo!”
立即有孩子答道:“袋鼠!”
15.”No, no, no! Should be a frog!”
“不对,不对!应该是青蛙!”
16.”No. It should be Go Go Gadget!”
“不对,应该是神探佳杰特(上世纪80年代动画人物)!”
17.”No, no, no! It should be The Incredibles.”
“不对,不对,都不对!应该是超人特工队(迪斯尼2004年出品动画电影)”
18.And other things that I don’t — aren’t familiar with.
还有其他一些我不太熟悉的
19.And then, one eight-year-old said, “Hey, why wouldn’t you want to fly too?”
然后,一个8岁的孩子说道, “嗨,为什么你不想飞呢?”
20.And the whole room, including me, was like, “Yeah.”
所有在场的人,包括我,惊叹道“对啊”
21.(Laughter) And just like that, I went from being a woman that these kids would have been trained to see as “disabled”
(笑) 就这样,我从女人 一个这些孩子被教育成看待的“残疾人”
22.to somebody that had potential that their bodies didn’t have yet.
到一个一个潜能尚待开发的人
23.Somebody that might even be super-abled.
一个很有可能有超人能力的人
24.Interesting.
很有趣吧
25.So some of you actually saw me at TED, 11 years ago, and there’s been a lot of talk about how life-changing this conference is for both speakers and attendees, and I am no exception.
在座的有些人11年前在TED见过我 当时人们热烈讨论这个会议是如何如何改变人生 不管你是听众还是发言人,我也不例外
26.TED literally was the launch pad to the next decade of my life’s exploration.
TED可以说是我接后10年探索的发射台
27.At the time, the legs I presented were groundbreaking in prosthetics.
当时,我展示的义肢是修复术的前沿技术
28.I had woven carbon fiber sprinting legs modeled after the hind leg of a cheetah, which you may have seen on stage yesterday.
我当时接上了碳纤维制成的 仿猎豹后肢的短跑义肢 可能你们昨天见过
29.And also these very life-like, intrinsically painted silicone legs.
这些栩栩如生的喷漆硅胶义肢
30.So at the time, it was my opportunity to put a call out to innovators outside the traditional medical prosthetic community to come bring their talent to the science and to the art
当时,我有机会 在传统医学修复领域创新 把他们的才智与科学、艺术相结合
31.of building legs.
制造义肢
32.So that we can stop compartmentalizing form, function and aesthetic, and assigning them different values.
这样我们就不必把外观、功能和美学划分开来 并赋予不同的价值
33.Well, lucky for me, a lot of people answered that call.
幸运的是,很多人做出了响应
34.And the journey started, funny enough, with a TED conference attendee — Chee Pearlman, who hopefully is in the audience somewhere today.
旅程就这样开始了,很有趣的是,有一个TED参会者 琪 皮尔曼,希望她今天也在场
35.She was the editor then of a magazine called ID, and she gave me a cover story.
她当时是一本名为《ID》的杂志的编辑 她把我作为封面故事刊登在杂志上
36.This started an incredible journey.
接下来我开始了一场奇妙的旅程
37.Curious encounters were happening to me at the time; I’d been accepting numerous invitations to speak on the design of the cheetah legs around the world.
当时我奇妙地碰到了很多人和事 我被邀请去做了很多演讲 在世界各地讨论仿猎豹义肢技术
38.People would come up to me after the conference, after my talk, men and women.
人们在演讲后找到我 不论男女
39.And the conversation would go something like this, “You know Aimee, you’re very attractive.
谈话内容不外乎 “要知道艾美,你很迷人。
40.You don’t look disabled.”
一点不像有残疾的。”
41.(Laughter) I thought, “Well, that’s amazing, because I don’t feel disabled.”
(笑) 我想“这还挺神的, 因为我一点也不感到残疾。”
42.And it really opened my eyes to this conversation that could be explored, about beauty.
我的有关演讲的视野也被打开了 美也可以被探索
43.What does a beautiful woman have to look like?
一个美丽的女人应该长什么样?
44.What is a sexy body?
什么是性感的身体?
45.And interestingly, from an identity standpoint, what does it mean to have a disability?
很有趣的是,从一个身份角度 残疾意味着什么?
46.I mean, people — Pamela Anderson has more prosthetic in her body than I do.
我是说,有人–比如帕米拉·安德森(美国艳星,以其硕大的隆胸著称)的修复程度可大大高过我
47.Nobody calls her disabled.
可没人说她残疾
48.(Laughter) So this magazine, through the hands of graphic designer Peter Saville, went to fashion designer Alexander McQueen, and photographer Nick Knight,
(笑) 后来这期《ID》杂志,经美术设计师皮特·萨维耶之手 传到了时装设计师亚历山大·麦昆和摄影师尼克·奈特手中
49.who were also interested in exploring that conversation.
他们也对探索相关方面很感兴趣
50.So, three months after TED I found myself on a plane to London, doing my first fashion shoot, which resulted in this cover — Fashion-able?
参加完TED几个月后,我就搭上了前往 伦敦的航班,摄制我的第一组时尚杂志照片 结果可以从这本杂志封面看出– 时尚吗?
51.Three months after that, I did my first runway show for Alexander McQueen on a pair of hand-carved wooden legs made from solid ash.
3个月后,我为亚历山大·麦昆做了第一场时装秀 腿着一副硬木手工义肢
52.Nobody knew — everyone thought they were wooden boots.
没人知道–大家都以为是木制长靴
53.Actually, I have them on stage with me: Grapevines, magnolias, truly stunning.
事实上,它们就在台上 葡萄藤、木兰花,惊人的美
54.Poetry matters.
诗意很重要
55.Poetry is what elevates the banal and neglected object to a realm of art.
诗歌能把陈腐和受忽视的东西提升到高层次 进入艺术的境界
56.It can transform the thing that might have made people fearful into something that invites them to look, and look a little longer, and maybe even understand.
能把令人生畏的东西转化成 引人入胜的东西 让人驻足良久 也许会让人们理解
57.I learned this firsthand with my next adventure.
这些是我从我的下一个冒险中第一手学到的
58.The artist Matthew Barney, in his film opus called the “The Cremaster Cycle.”
艺术家马修·巴尼在他的影片《悬丝》
59.This is where it really hit home for me — that my legs could be wearable sculpture.
这部影片真是醍醐灌顶 我的双腿竟可以成为雕塑品
60.And even at this point, I started to move away from the need to replicate human-ness as the only aesthetic ideal.
这时,我就游离开模仿人体 开始探索美学的理想
61.So we made what people lovingly referred to as glass legs even though they’re actually optically clear polyurethane, a.k.a. bowling ball material.
后来我们研制了人们昵称为玻璃腿的义肢 虽然它们实际上是剔透的聚亚安酯制作的 也就是制造保龄球的材料
62.Heavy!
相当重的!
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧