StefanSagmeister_休假的力量【中英文对照】

1.I run a design studio in New York.
我在纽约开一家设计工作室
2.Every seven years I close it for one year to pursue some little experiments, things that are always difficult to accomplish during the regular working year.
每七年我都关闭 一年 让我进行一些  (萤幕:七年之痒) 小实验, 一些通常不容易 在正常的工作年度里达成的事
3.In that year we are not available for any of our clients.
关闭的一年, 我们不接受 任何顾客
4.We are totally closed.
完全关门
5.And as you can imagine, it is a lovely and very energetic time.
可想而知 那是一段美好又充满能量的时光
6.I originally had opened the studio in New York to combine my two loves, music and design.
我起先在纽约开了这家工作室 为的是结合我的两项酷爱: 音乐和设计
7.And we created videos and packaging for many musicians that you know.
我们制作录像和设计装璜 其中有很多是你们熟悉的音乐家
8.And for even more that you’ve never heard of.
更多是你们没有听闻过的音乐家
9.As I realized, just like with many many things in my life that I actually love, I adapt to it.
我发觉 就像生活中很多我喜爱的事物 一旦习以为常
10.And I get, over time, bored by them.
便渐渐变得沉闷
11.And for sure, in our case, our work started to look the same.
我的工作室也不例外 我们的作品开始变得类同
12.You see here a glass eye in a die cut of a book.
看到了吧,书中藏着一颗玻璃眼睛
13.Quite the similar idea, then, a perfume packaged in a book, in a die cut.
同样的设计,用于香水包装 书中藏着一瓶香水
14.So I decided to close it down for one year.
因此我们决定关门一年
15.Also is the knowledge that right now we spend about in the first 25 years of our lives learning.
我还有另一个原因 目前我们大概 用生命的前二十五年学习
16.Then there is another 40 years that’s really reserved for working.
之后的四十年 用于工作
17.And then tacked on at the end of it are about 15 years for retirement.
放到最后的 是约十五年的退休生活
18.And I thought it might be helpful to basically cut off five of those retirement years and intersperse them in between those working years.
我觉得更合理的,可能是 拿走五年的退休时间 把它们穿插在工作的年头里
19.(Applause) That’s clearly enjoyable for myself.
(鼓掌) 我自己显然因此很开心
20.But probably even more important is that the work that comes out of these years flows back into the company, and into society at large,
但更重要的是 是来自休假那几年的成果 可以回馈公司 回馈社会
21.rather than just benefiting a grandchild or two.
而不仅是贡献给一两个孙子孙女
22.There is a fellow TEDster who spoke two years ago, Jonathan Haidt, who defined his work into three different levels.
两年前有一位TED的讲者 名叫乔纳森 海德特(Jonathan Haidt) 他把工作定义为三个不同的层次
23.And they rang very true for me.
教我深深认同
24.I can see my work as a job. I do it for money.
我可以把工作视为一份工,为的是钱
25.I likely already look forward to the weekend, on Thursdays.
星期四就开始盼周末
26.And I probably will need a hobby as a leveling mechanism.
我可能会需要一种业余爱好,平衡生活
27.In a career I’m definitely more engaged.
或者,我可以把工作看成我的事业,这样我会做得更加用心
28.But at the same time there will be periods when I think is all that really hard work really worth my while?
但有时我又会想 花这多精力值得吗?
29.While in the third one, in the calling, very much likely I would do it also if I wouldn’t be financially compensated for it.
第三个层次,是把工作视为一种呼召 如果工作是一种呼召,很可能我无论如何也会做, 即使没有金钱回报也没关系
30.I am not a religious person myself, but I did look for nature.
我不信教 但我尊重自然
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件]   更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
31.I had spent my first sabbatical in New York City.
我的第一个长修假是在纽约市度过的
32.Looked for something different for the second one.
我希望第二次会有所不同
33.Europe and the U.S. didn’t really feel enticing because I knew them too well. So Asia it was.
欧洲和美国对我吸引力不大 我太熟悉它们了,所以我选了亚洲
34.The most beautiful landscapes I had seen in Asia were Sri Lanka and Bali.
我见到的亚洲最美丽的风景 是在斯里兰卡和巴厘岛
35.Sri Lanka still had the civil war going on. So Bali it was.
斯里兰卡仍有内战进行,因此我选择了巴厘岛。
36.It’s a wonderful, very craft-oriented society.
那是一个美妙,十分重视手工艺的社会
37.I arrived there in September 2008, and pretty much started to work right away.
我2008年9月到达那里 立即投入工作
38.There is wonderful inspiration coming from the area itself.
那地方本身就充满灵气
39.However the first thing that I needed was mosquito repellent typography because they were definitely around heavily.
然而,我首先需要的是 驱蚊剂 因为蚊子太多了
40.And then I needed some sort of way to be able to get back to all the wild dogs that surround my house, and attacked me during my morning walks.
其次我需要某种方法 赶走那些野狗 他们绕着我的房子 当我早上散步时来袭击我
41.So we created this series of 99 portraits on tee shirts.
我们就此做了99狗像系列的T恤衫
42.Every single dog on one tee shirt.
一只狗一个T恤衫
43.As a little retaliation with a just ever so slightly menacing message (Laughter) on the back of the shirt.
作为一个小报复 我加了一条小小的、略带威胁的信息 (笑声) 在T恤衫的背后
44.(Laughter) Just before I left New York I decided I could actually renovate my studio.
(笑声) 在我离开纽约前 我觉得可以装修一下我的工作室
45.And then just leave it all to them.
我把工作全交给别人
46.And I don’t have to do anything.
自己不再操心
47.So I looked for furniture.
只管卖家具
48.And it turned out that all the furniture that I really liked, I couldn’t afford.
结果是 我喜欢的 都买不起
49.And all the stuff I could afford, I didn’t like.
买得起的 我又都不喜欢
50.So one of the things that we pursued in Bali was pieces of furniture.
于是我在巴厘岛要做的其中一件事情 就是设计家具
51.This one, of course, still works with the wild dogs.
设计这个时 , 当然 , 我们仍跟野狗较量中
52.It’s not quite finished yet.
还没全部完成
53.And I think by the time this lamp came about, (Laughter) I had finally made piece with those dogs.
我记得完成这盏灯的时候 (笑声) 我终于跟狗讲和了
54.(Laughter) Then there is a coffee table. I also did a coffee table.
(笑声) 我还设计了这张茶几
55.It’s called Be Here Now.
起名叫“现在到此”
56.It includes 330 compasses.
它里面装了330个指南针
57.And we had custom espresso cups made that hide a magnet inside, and make those compasses go crazy, always centering on them.
我们还特制了特浓咖啡的小杯子 里面藏着磁铁 它使这些指南针拼命地动 全朝向咖啡杯为中心
58.Then this is a fairly talkative, verbose kind of chair.
之后又设计这个相当健谈, 絮絮不休的椅子
59.I also start meditating for the first time in my life in Bali.
在巴厘岛,我开始平生第一次打坐
60.And at the same time, I’m extremely aware how boring it is to hear about other people’s happinesses.
不过,同时我又请楚的意识到 听别人讲他们的高兴事有多无聊
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件]   更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
61.So I will not really go too far into it.
所以我就不多说了
62.Many of you will know this TEDster, Danny Gilbert, whose book, actually I got it through the TED book club.
你们很多人都认识这位TED的讲者 Danny Gilbert, 他写了本书 我从TED 读书会买了这本书
63.I think it took me four years to finally read it, while on sabbatical.
一直等到四年后 我终于我休长假时读了这本书
64.And I was pleased to see that he actually wrote the book while he was on sabbatical.
我很高兴知道 著者也是在休长假时写的这本书
65.And I’ll show you a couple of people that did well by pursuing sabbaticals.
我还要介绍给你们几位 得益于修长假的人
66.This is Ferran Adria. Many people think he is right now the best chef in the world with his restaurant north of Barcelona, elBulli.
这位是Ferran Adria:公认的 当今世界上最好的厨师 他的餐馆位于Barcelona北部的 elBull
67.His restaurant is open seven months every year.
他的餐馆每年只开七个月
68.He closes it down for five months to experiment with a full kitchen staff.
另外五个月关门 他用这段时间来做试验,全体厨房员工也不放假
69.His latest numbers are fairly impressive.
他的最新数据相当可观
70.He can seat, throughout the year, he can seat 8,000 people.
他的餐馆一年可以容纳 8,000 人
71.And he has 2.2 million requests for reservations.
却收到220万的预订申请
72.If I look at my cycle, seven years, one year sabbatical, it’s 12.5 percent of my time.
看看我的周期,干七年,休一年 是我百分之12.5的时间
73.And if I look at companies that are actually more successful than mine, 3M, since the 1930s is giving all their engineers 15 percent to pursue whatever they want.
看看比我更成功的公司 3M公司,自20世纪30年代起 让所有的工程师 花百分之十五工作时间做他们自己想做的事
74.There is some good successes.
有些很成功的例子
75.Scotch tape came out of this program, as well as Art Fry developed sticky notes from during his personal time for 3M.
思高牌胶带就是这个公司政策下的产物 还有Art Fry 研制的 不干胶贴纸,也是他利用私人时间为3M发明的
76.Google, of course, very famously gives 20 percent for their software engineers to pursue their own personal projects.
谷歌, 众人皆知 给他们的软件工程师百分之二十的时间 去做他们自己想做的项目
77.Anybody in here has actually ever conducted a sabbatical?
听众里有没有人尝试过修长假呢?
78.That’s about five percent of everybody.
大概百分之五吧
79.So I’m not sure if you saw your neighbor putting their hand up.
坐你身边的人举手了吗
80.Talk to them about if it was successful or not.
请和他们聊聊, 看他们的休假是否成功
81.I’ve found that finding out about what I’m going to like in the future, my very best way is to talk to people who have actually done it
我发现 探讨我未来想做的事 最佳的办法是 与做过的人谈谈
82.much better than myself envisioning it.
那比自己空想要更有效
83.When I had the idea of doing one, the process was I made the decision and I put it into my daily planner book.
当我想到一个好主意时 我便把决定写在日计划本里
84.And then I told as many, many people as I possibly could about it so that there was no way that I could chicken out later on.
然后我告诉很多很多的人,越多越好 好等我日后不会轻易知难而退
85.(Laughter) In the beginning, on the first sabbatical, it was rather disastrous.
(笑声) 我的第一个休假初期 事情进展一点也不顺利
86.I had thought that I should do this without any plan, that this vacuum of time somehow would be wonderful and enticing for idea generation. It was not.
我以为不用计划 空闲本身 就很好 使人创新。但我错了
87.I just, without a plan, I just reacted to little requests, not work requests, those I all said no to, but other little requests.
没有计划,我会被动的去应付 琐碎小事,我不是指工作上的事情 那些我全拒绝了,我是指的其他琐事
88.Sending mail to Japanese design magazines and things like that.
比如说给日本设计杂志写信
89.So I became my own intern.
就是说,我成了给自己打下手的学徒工
90.(Laughter) And I very quickly made a list of the things I was interested in, put them in a hierarchy, divided them into chunks of time
(笑声) 很快 我把自己感兴趣的事情列了个清单 把它们分门别类,分给大块的时间
91.and then made a plan, very much like in grade school.
然后作个计划,就像在小学校做的一样
92.What does it say here? Monday eight to nine: story writing.
计划有什么呢? 星期一8至9点:写小说
93.Nine to ten: future thinking.
9至10点,预想未来
94.Was not very successful. And so on and so forth.
那不是很成功。等等,等等。
95.And that actually, specifically as a starting point of the first sabbatical, worked really well for me.
而实际上,作为第一次休假的开始 这些安排很适合我
96.What came out of it?
结果呢
97.I really got close to design again.
我又重新爱上设计了
98.I had fun.
我自得其乐
99.Financially, seen over the long term, it was actually successful.
从长远经济角度看,我的第一个长假是成功的
100.Because of the improved quality, we could ask for higher prices.
由于质量提高,我们可以设更高的价格
101.And probably most importantly, basically everything we’ve done in the seven years following the first sabbatical came out of thinking of that one single year.
或许最重要的是 基本上 在下七年我们的设计 意念俱源自我们休假的那一年
102.And I’ll show you a couple of projects that came out of the seven years following that sabbatical.
请你看看以下几项作品 都是那个长休假之后七年设计的
103.One of the strands of thinking I was involved in was that sameness is so incredibly overrated.
第一种体会 是 (在设计品牌时)我们过分强调一致性
104.This whole idea that everything needs to be exactly the same works for a very very few strand of companies, and not for everybody else.
其实这种凡事必须完全相同的想法 仅仅能对极少数公司行得通 而并非每间公司都合适
105.We were asked to design an identity for Casa de Musica, the Rem Koolhaas-built music center in Porto, in Portugal.
音乐之家 (Casa de Musica) 曾请我们设计标志 就是那个由 Rem Koolhaas 设计建造的音乐中心 在波尔图,葡萄牙
106.And even though I desired to do an identity that doesn’t use the architecture, I failed at that.
尽管我想要把这个标志 设计得与建筑物造型没关 结果却没有成功
107.And mostly also because I realized out of a Rem Koolhaas presentation to the city of Porto where he talked about a conglomeration of various layers of meaning.
一个主要原因 是因为Rem Koolhaas给波尔图市做的一场简报 他说到要把多层含意交织在一起
108.Which I understood after I translated it from architecture speech in to regular English, basically as logo making.
我起先没有明白 直至我把他的建筑设计语言 翻成一般英语去理解 基本上,建筑设计就是标志设计
109.And I understood that the building itself was a logo.
我才明白,那建筑本身就是一个标志
110.So then it became quite easy.
事情由此变得十分容易
111.We put a mask on it, looked at it deep down in the ground, checked it out from all sides, west, north, south, east, top and bottom.
我们在建筑上蒙了个罩子 从远远的地面查看 从各个角度查看 西,北,南,东 从上到下
112.Colored them in a very particular way by having a friend of mine write a piece of software, the Casa de Musica Logo Generator.
用非常特殊的方式着色 让我的一个朋友写了个软件 叫音乐之家?标志生成器
113.That’s connected to a scanner.
把它连接到扫描仪
114.You put any image in there, like that Beethoven image.
把任何图像放上,例如贝多芬像
115.And the software, in a second, will give you the Casa de Musica Beethoven logo.
软件可以立即 给你音乐之家贝多芬标志
116.Which, when you actually have to design a Beethoven poster, comes in handy because the visual information of the logo and the actual poster, is exactly the same.
当你想设计一个有贝多芬像的海报 那软件很有用,因为标志的视觉元素 和海报是完全一样的
117.So it will always fits together, conceptually, of course.
所以在概念的层面而言,它们一定能互相配合
118.If Zappa’s music is performed, it gets its own logo.
如果演出Zappa的音乐,它会有自己独特的标志
119.Or Philip Glass or Lou Reed or the Chemical Brothers who all performed there, get their own Casa de Musica logo.
或Philip Grass,或Lou Reed,或 Chemical Brothers 谁在那里表演,谁就有自己的标志 这是音乐之家自己的标志
120.It works the same internally with the president or the  musical director, whose Casa de Musica portraits wind up on their business cards.
在音乐之家内部也是一样,不论是音乐之家主席,或是音乐总监 他们的音乐之家画像印在他们的名片上
121.There is a full-blown orchestra living inside the building.
有一队完整的管弦乐队 驻扎在那所建筑里
122.It has a more transparent identity.
他们拥有自己清晰的标志
123.The truck they go on tour with.
这是他们巡演用的卡车
124.Or there’s a smaller contemporary orchestra, 12 people that remixes its own title.
它们还有一个较小的现代乐团 一个以”交织 “(remix) 为名的十二人乐团, 名字就交织在标志中
125.And one of the handy things that came about was that you could take the logo type and create advertising out of it.
十分方便的是 你可以用这个标志 创造广告
126.Like this Donna Toney poster, or Chopin, or Mozart, or La Monte Young.
就像这幅 Donna Toney海报 或肖邦 (Chopin),或莫扎特 (Mozart) 或拉蒙杨 (La Monte Young)
127.You can take the shape and make typography out of it.
您可以根据它的形状设计字样
128.You can grow it underneath the skin.
你还可以把它从皮肤下长出来
129.You can have a poster for a family event in front of the house, or a rave underneath the house, or a weekly program as well as educational services.
你可以设计一张海报,介绍一项适合一家大细,  在音乐之家外面举行的活动 或在音乐之家下面举行的狂野派对 或每周定期举行的活动 又或是教育服务
130.Second insight. So far, until that point I had been mostly involved or used the language of design for promotional purposes, which was fine with me.
第二种体会:在那次长假之前 多数时候 我都时用设计这种语言 帮助促销 那并没有什么不好
131.On one hand I have nothing against selling.
一方面我不反对销售
132.My parents are both sales people.
我父母都是销售员
133.But I did feel that I spent so much time learning this language, why do I only promote with it?
但我觉得 我花了这多时间学习这种语言 为什么仅用来帮助促销?
134.There must be something else.
应该还可以利用它做些其他事
135.And the whole series of work came out of it.
这些作品都出自这个想法
136.Some of you might have seen it.
有些你们可能已经见过
137.I showed some of it at earlier TEDs before, under the title “Things I’ve Learned In My Life So Far”.
我在以前的TED 会上曾经展示过 以前的TED 会 标题是“至今我所学到的”
138.I’ll just show two now.
我现在就介绍两项
139.This is a whole wall of bananas at different ripenesses on the opening day in this gallery in New York.
这是一整面墙的香蕉 不同的生熟程度 在一家纽约的画廊开张那天
140.It says, “Self confidence produces fine results.”
上面说“自信产生优秀结果”
141.This is after a week.
一周后
142.After two weeks, three weeks, four weeks, five weeks.
两周后 三,四,五周后
143.And you see the self confidence almost comes back, but not quite.
你可以见到自信心几乎都回来了 只是几乎,不是全部
144.These are some pictures visitors sent to me.
这是一些客人发送给我的照片
145.(Laughter) And then the city of Amsterdam gave us a plaza and asked us to do something.
(笑声) 阿姆斯特丹市 给了我们一个广场,并要我们做些事情
146.We used the stone plates as a grid for our little piece.
我们用石板作为网格 作为我们一件小作品的背景
147.We got 250 thousand coins from the central bank, at different darknesses.
我们从中央银行提了25万个硬币 颜色有不同的深度
148.So we got brand new ones, shiny ones, medium ones, and very old, dark ones.
有的崭新发亮 半旧的, 和非常旧的,发黑的
149.And with the help of 100 volunteers, over a week, created this fairly floral typography that spelled, “Obsessions make my life worse
用了一周多的时间,得到了100多志愿者的帮忙 创造了这个以花卉模样的字样 文字是,“沉迷破坏生活
150.and my work better.”
却做就好作品”
151.And the idea of course was to make the type so precious that as an audience you would be in between, “Should I really take as much money as I can?
我们的构思 是把图样做得很精美 要令观赏者 觉得难以决定 我是要把这些钱尽量拿走
152.Or should I leave the piece intact as it is right now?”
还是保持图像完好无缺
153.While we built all this up during that week, with the hundred volunteers, a good number of the neighbors surrounding the plaza got very close to it and quite loved it.
在拚砌这个图像的过程 与数百名志愿者一起的那个星期 有很多居住在周围的居民 都走近它看,很喜欢它
154.So when it was finally done, and in the first night a guy came with big plastic bags and scooped up as many coins as he could possibly carry,
当它终于完工时 第一夜 一个人拿了一个大塑料袋 把钱币大堆大堆的装进袋子里,直到他提不动为止
155.one of the neighbors called the police.
一位邻居报了警
156.And the Amsterdam police in all their wisdom, came, saw, and they wanted to protect the artwork.
阿姆斯特丹警方 急中生智 赶到现场, 看到一切 他们想保护这件艺术作品
157.And they swept it all up and put it into custody at police headquarters.
就把钱币都扫了起来 放到警察局好好报存
158.(Laughter) I think you see, you see them sweeping. You see them sweeping right here.
(笑声) 看见他们扫了吧
159.That’s the police, getting rid of it all.
那是警察,把作品全扫光了
160.So after eight hours that’s pretty much all that was left of the whole thing.
8小时之后 所剩的就只有那么多 几乎全部扫光
161.(Laughter) We are also working on the start of a bigger project in Bali.
(笑声) 我们还在巴厘岛开始了一个更大的项目
162.It’s a movie about happiness.
是一个讲关于快乐的电影
163.And here we asked some nearby pigs to do the titles for us.
在这里,我们请了附近的一些猪 为我们做标题
164.They weren’t quite slick enough.
却嫌它们不够仔细
165.So we asked the goose to do it again, and hoped she would do somehow, a more elegant or pretty job.
我们试用了鹅 希望她会做出 优雅美观的作品
166.And I think she overdid it.
它却似乎太讲究了
167.Just a bit too ornamental.
有点过分装饰
168.And my studio is very close to the monkey forest.
而我的工作室是在猴子森林边
169.And the monkeys in that monkey forest looked, actually, fairly happy.
这猴子森林的猴子 看起来相当高兴
170.So we asked those guys to do it again.
我们又请了这些家伙帮忙
171.They did a fine job, but had a couple of readability problems.
他们做得很出色, 但是 有可读性问题
172.So of course whatever you don’t really do yourself doesn’t really get done properly.
当然,如果你不自己亲自做 就别指望完全满意
173.That film we’ll be working on for the next two years.
我们今后两年将制作这个电影
174.So It’s going to be a while.
还得有一阵子
175.And of course you might think that doing a film on happiness might not really be worthwhile, then you can of course always go and see this guy.
你可能会想 制作关于快乐的电影 可能会不值得 你当然总是可以 去看这个家伙
176.Video: (Laughter) And I’m happy I’m alive.
(笑声)(笑瑜伽) 我很高兴我活着
177.I’m happy I’m alive. I’m happy I’m alive.
我很高兴我活着  我很高兴我活着
178.Stefan Sagmeister: Thank you.
谢谢你们

ted演讲稿中英文对照

StefanSagmeister_与你分享快乐的设计【中英文对照】

2024-4-20 10:55:45

ted演讲稿中英文对照

StevenCowley_核聚变是能源的未来【中英文对照】

2024-4-20 10:56:33

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索