SimonSinek_伟大的领袖如何激励行动【中英文对照】

1.How do you explain when things don’t go as we assume?
当事情的发展出乎意料之外的时候, 你怎么解释?
2.Or better, how do you explain when others are able to achieve things that seem to defy all of the assumptions?
换句话说,当别人似乎出乎意料地 取得成功的时候, 你怎么解释?
3.For example: Why is Apple so innovative?
比如说, 为什么苹果公司创新能力这么强?
4.Year after year, after year, after year, they’re more innovative than all their competition.
这么多年来,年复一年, 他们比所有竞争对手都更加具有创新性。
5.And yet, they’re just a computer company.
而其实他们只是一家电脑公司。
6.They’re just like everyone else.
他们跟其他公司没有任何分别,
7.They have the same access to the same talent, the same agencies, the same consultants, the same media.
有同样的途径,接触到同样的人才, 同样的代理商,顾问,和媒体。
8.Then why is it that they seem to have something different?
那为什么他们 就似乎有那么一点不同寻常呢?
9.Why is it that Martin Luther King led the Civil Rights Movement?
同样的,为什么是由马丁?路德?金 来领导民权运动?
10.He wasn’t the only man who suffered in a pre-civil rights America.
那个时候在美国,民权运动之前, 不仅仅只有他一个人饱受歧视。
11.And he certainly wasn’t the only great orator of the day.
他也决不是那个时代唯一的伟大演说家。
12.Why him?
为什么会是他?
13.And why is it that the Wright brothers were able to figure out control-powered, manned flight when there were certainly other teams who were
又为什么怀特兄弟 能够造出动力控制的载人飞机, 跟他们相比,当时的其他团队似乎
14.better qualified, better funded, and they didn’t achieve powered man flight, and the Wright brothers beat them to it.
更有能力,更有资金, 他们却没能制造出载人飞机, 怀特兄弟打败了他们。
15.There’s something else at play here.
一定还有一些什么别的因素在起作用。
16.About three and a half years ago I made a discovery, and this discovery profoundly changed my view on how I thought the world worked.
大概三年半之前, 我有了个新发现, 这个发现完全改变了 我对这个世界如何运作的看法。
17.And it even profoundly changed the way in which I operate in it.
甚至从根本上改变了 我的工作生活方式。
18.As it turns out — there’s a pattern — as it turns out, all the great and inspiring leaders and organizations in the world, whether it’s Apple, or Martin Luther King or the Wright brothers,
那就是我发现了一种模式, 我发现世界上所有伟大的令人振奋的领袖 和组织, 无论是苹果公司、马丁?路德?金还是怀特兄弟,
19.they all think, act and communicate the exact same way.
他们思考、行动、交流沟通的方式 都完全一样,
20.And it’s the complete opposite to everyone else.
但是跟所有其他人的方式 完全相反。
21.All I did was codify it.
我所做的仅仅是把它整理出来。
22.And it’s probably the world’s simplest idea.
这可能是世上 最简单的概念。
23.I call it the golden circle.
我称它为黄金圆环。
24.Why? How? What?
为什么?怎么做?是什么?
25.This little idea explains why some organizations and some leaders are able to inspire where others aren’t.
这小小的模型就解释了 为什么一些组织和领导者 能够在别人不能的地方激发出灵感和潜力。
26.Let me define the terms really quickly.
我来尽快地解释一下这些术语。
27.Every single person, every single organization on the planet knows what they do, 100 percent.
地球上的每个人,每个组织 都明白自己做的是什么, 百分之百。
28.Some know how they do it, whether you call it your differentiated value proposition or your proprietary process or your USP.
其中一些知道该怎么做, 你可以称之为是你的差异价值, 或是你的独特工艺,或是你的独特卖点也好,怎么说都行。
29.But very, very few people or organizations know why they do what they do.
但是非常,非常少的人和组织 明白为什么做。
30.And by “why” I don’t mean “to make a profit.”
这里的“为什么”和“为利润” 没有关系,
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件]   更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
31.That’s a result. It’s always a result.
利润只是一个结果,永远只能是一个结果。
32.By “why” I mean: what’s your purpose?
我说的“为什么”  指的是:你的目的是什么?
33.What’s your cause? What’s your belief?
你这样做的原因是什么?你怀着什么样的信念?
34.Why does your organization exist?
你的机构为什么而存在?
35.Why do you get out of bed in the morning?
你每天早上是为什么而起床?
36.And why should anyone care?
为什么别人要在乎你?
37.Well, as a result, the way we think, the way we act, the way we communicate is from the outside in.
结果是,我们思考的方式,行动的方式, 交流的方式都是由外向内的。
38.It’s obvious. We go from the clearest thing to the fuzziest thing.
很显然的,我们所采用的方式是从清晰开始,然后到模糊的东西。
39.But the inspired leaders and the inspired organizations, regardless of their size, regardless of their industry, all think, act and communicate
但是激励型领袖以及 组织机构, 无论他们的规模大小,所在领域, 他们思考,行动和交流的方式
40.from the inside out.
都是从里向外的。
41.Let me give you an example.
举个例子吧。
42.I use Apple because they’re easy to understand and everybody gets it.
我举苹果公司是因为这个例子简单易懂,每个人都能理解。
43.If Apple were like everyone else, a marketing message from them might sound like this.
如果苹果公司跟其他公司一样, 他们的市场营销信息就会是这个样子:
44.”We make great computers.
“我们做最棒的电脑,
45.They’re beautifully designed, simple to use and user friendly.
设计精美,使用简单, 界面友好。
46.Want to buy one?” Neh.
你想买一台吗?” 不怎么样吧。
47.And that’s how most of us communicate.
这就是我们大多数人的交流方式,
48.That’s how most marketing is done. That’s how most sales are done.
也是大多数市场推广的方式,大部分销售所采用的方式,
49.And that’s how most of us communicate interpersonally.
也是我们大部分人互相交流的方式。
50.We say what we do, we say how we’re different or how we’re better and we expect some sort of a behavior, a purchase, a vote, something like that.
我们说我们的职业是干什么的,我们说我们是如何的与众不同,或者我们怎么比其他人更好, 然后我们就期待着一些别人的反应, 比如购买,比如投票,诸如此类。
51.Here’s our new law firm.
这是我们新开的的律师事务所,
52.We have the best lawyers with the biggest clients.
我们拥有最棒的律师和最大的客户,
53.We always perform for our clients who do business with us.
我们总是能满足客户的要求。
54.Here’s our new car.
这是我们的新车型,
55.It gets great gas mileage. It has leather seats. Buy our car.
非常省油,真皮座椅。买一辆吧。
56.But it’s uninspiring.
但是这些推销词一点劲都没有。
57.Here’s how Apple actually communicates.
这是苹果公司实际上的沟通方式:
58.”Everything we do, we believe in challenging the status quo.
“我们做的每一件事情, 都是为了突破和创新。
59.We believe in thinking differently.
我们坚信应该以不同的方式思考。
60.The way we challenge the status quo is by making our products beautifully designed, simple to use and user friendly.
我们挑战现状的方式 是通过把我们的产品设计得十分精美, 使用简单,和界面友好。
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件]   更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
61.We just happen to make great computers.
我们只是在这个过程中做出了最棒的电脑。
62.Want to buy one?”
想买一台吗?”
63.Totally different right? You’re ready to buy a computer from me.
感觉完全不一样,对吧?你已经准备从我这里买一台了。
64.All I did was reverse the order of information.
我所做的只是将传递信息的顺序颠倒一下而已。
65.What it proves to us is that people don’t buy what you do; people buy why you do it.
事实已经向我们证明,人们买的不是你做的产品, 人们买的是你的信念和宗旨。
66.People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it.
人们买的不是你做的产品,人们买的是你的信念。
67.This explains why every single person in this room is perfectly comfortable buying a computer from Apple.
这就解释了为什么 这里的每个人 从苹果公司买电脑时都觉得理所当然。
68.But we’re also perfectly comfortable buying an MP3 player from Apple, or a phone from Apple, or a DVR from Apple.
但是我们从苹果公司 买MP3播放器,手机,或者数码摄像机时, 也感觉很舒服。
69.But, as I said before, Apple’s just a computer company.
而其实,我刚才已经说过,苹果公司只是个电脑公司。
70.There’s nothing that distinguishes them structurally from any of their competitors.
没有什么能从结构上将苹果公司 同竞争对手区分开来。
71.Their competitors are all equally qualified to make all of these products.
竞争对手和苹果公司有同样的能力制造所有这些产品。
72.In fact, they tried.
实际上,他们也尝试过。
73.A few years ago, Gateway came out with flat screen TVs.
几年前,捷威(Gateway)公司推出了平板电视。
74.They’re eminently qualified to make flat screen TVs.
他们制造平板电视的能力很强,
75.They’ve been making flat screen monitors for years.
因为他们做平板显示器已经很多年了。
76.Nobody bought one.
但是没有人买他们的平板电视。
77.Dell came out with MP3 players and PDAs.
戴尔公司推出了MP3播放器和掌上电脑,
78.And they make great quality products.
他们产品的质量非常好,
79.And they can make perfectly well-designed products.
产品的设计也非常不错。
80.And nobody bought one.
但是也没有人买他们的这些产品。
81.In fact, talking about it now, we can’t even imagine buying an MP3 player from Dell.
其实,说到这里,我们无法想象 会从戴尔公司买MP3播放器。
82.Why would you buy an MP3 player from a computer company?
你为什么会从一家电脑公司买MP3播放器呢?
83.But we do it every day.
但是每天我们都这么做。
84.People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it.
人们买的不是你做的产品,人们买的是你的信念。
85.The goal is not to do business with everybody who needs what you have.
做公司的目标不是要跟 所有需要你的产品的人做生意,
86.The goal is to do business with people who believe what you believe.
而是跟 与你有着相同理念的人做生意。
87.Here’s the best part.
这是最精彩的部分。
88.None of what I’m telling you is my opinion.
我说的这些没有一个是我自己的观点。
89.It’s all grounded in the tenets of biology.
这些观点都能从生物学里面找到根源。
90.Not psychology, biology.
不是心理学,是生物学。
91.If you look at a cross-section of the human brain, looking from the top down, What you see is the human brain is actually broken into three major components
当你俯视看大脑的横截面, 你会发现人类大脑实际上分成 三个主要部分,
92.that correlate perfectly with the golden circle.
而这三个主要部分和黄金圆环匹配得非常好。
93.Our newest brain, our homo sapien brain, our neocortex, corresponds with the “what” level.
我们最新的脑部,管辖智力的脑部, 或者说我们的大脑皮层, 对应着“是什么” 这个圆环。
94.The neocortex is responsible for all of our rational and analytical thought and language.
大脑皮层负责我们所有的 理性和逻辑的思考 和语言功能。
95.The middle two sections make up our limbic brains.
中间的两个部分是我们的两个边脑。
96.And our limbic brains are responsible for all of our feelings, like trust and loyalty.
边脑负责我们所有的情感, 比如信任和忠诚,
97.It’s also responsible for all human behavior, all decision-making, and it has no capacity for language.
也负责所有的行为 和决策, 但这部分没有语言功能。
98.In other words, when we communicate from the outside in, yes, people can understand vast amounts of complicated information like features and benefits and facts and figures.
换句话说,当我们由外向内交流时, 没错,人们可以理解大量的复杂信息, 比如特征,优点,事实和图表。
99.It just doesn’t drive behavior.
但不足以激发行动。
100.When we can communicate from the inside out, we’re talking directly to the part of the brain that controls behavior, and then we allow people to rationalize it
当我们由内向外交流时, 我们是在直接同控制行为的 那一部分大脑对话, 然后我们由人们理性地思考
101.with the tangible things we say and do.
我们所说和做的事情。
102.This is where gut decisions come from.
这就是那些发自内心的决定的来源。
103.You know, sometimes you can give somebody all the facts and figures, and they say, “I know what all the facts and details say, but it just doesn’t feel right.”
你知道,有时候你展示给一些人 所有的数据图表, 他们会说“我知道这些数据和图表是什么意思, 但就是感觉不对。”
104.Why would we use that verb, it doesn’t “feel” right?
为什么我们会用这个动词,“感觉” 不对?
105.Because the part of the brain that controls decision-making, doesn’t control language.
因为控制决策的那一部分大脑 并不支配语言,
106.And the best we can muster up is, “I don’t know. It just doesn’t feel right.”
我们只好说 “我不知道为什么,就是感觉不对。”
107.Or sometimes you say you’re leading with your heart, or you’re leading with your soul.
或者有些时候,你说听从心的召唤, 或者说听从灵魂。
108.Well, I hate to break it to you, those aren’t other body parts controlling your behavior.
我不想把这些观念分解得太彻底,但心和灵魂都不是 控制行为的部分。
109.It’s all happening here in you limbic brain, the part of the brain that controls decision-making and not language.
所有这一切都发生在你的边脑, 控制决策行为而非语言的边脑。
110.But if you don’t know why you do what you do, and people respond to why you do what you do, then how you ever get people to vote for you, or buy something from you,
如果你自己都不知道你为什么干你所做的事情, 而别人要对你的动机作出反应, 那么你怎么可能赢得大家 对你的支持,从你这里购买东西,
111.or, more importantly, be loyal and want to be a part of what it is that you do.
或者,更重要的,对你忠诚 并且想成为你正在做的事情的一分子呢?
112.Again, the goal is not just to sell to people who need what you have; the goal is to sell to people who believe what you believe.
再说一次,目标不仅仅是将你有的东西卖给需要它们的人; 而是将东西卖给跟你有共同信念的人。
113.The goal is not just to hire people who need a job; it’s to hired people who believe what you believe.
目标不仅仅是雇佣那些 需要一份工作的人; 目标是雇佣那些同你有共同信念的人。
114.I always say that, you know, if you hire people just because they can do a job, they’ll work for your money, but if you hire people who believe what you believe,
你知道吗,我总是说, 如果你雇佣某人只是因为他能做这份工作,他们就只是为你开的工资而工作, 但是如果你雇佣跟你有共同信念的人,
115.they’ll work for your you with blood and sweat and tears.
他们会为你付出热血,汗水和泪水。
116.And nowhere else is there a better example of this than with the Wright brothers.
这一点,没有比怀特兄弟的故事 更恰当的例子了。
117.Most people don’t know about Samuel Pierpont Langley.
大多数人都没听说过塞缪尔·兰利这个人。
118.And back in the early 20th century, the pursuit of powered man flight was like the dot com of the day.
20世纪初期, 投入机动飞行器的热情就像当今的网站热,
119.Everybody was trying it.
每个人都在做尝试。
120.And Samuel Pierpont Langley had, what we assume, to be the recipe for success.
塞缪尔·兰利拥有所有大家认为是 成功的要素。
121.I mean, even now, you ask people, “Why did your product or why did your company fail?”
我的意思是,即便是现在,你问别人 “为什么你的产品或者公司失败了呢?”
122.and people always give you the same permutation of the same three things, under-capitalized, the wrong people, bad market conditions.
人们总是用同样的 三个东西以同样的排列顺序来回答你, 缺乏资金,用人不善,形势不好。
123.It’s always the same three things, so let’s explore that.
总是那三种理由,所以让我们来逐个分析一下。
124.Samuel Pierpont Langley was given 50,000 dollars by the War Deptartment to figure out this flying machine.
国防部给了塞缪尔·兰利 5万美金 作为研制飞行器的资金。
125.Money was no problem.
所以说,资金不是问题。
126.He held a seat at Harvard and worked at the Smithsonian and was extremely well-connected.
他在哈佛大学工作过, 也在史密森尼学会工作过,人脉极其广泛。
127.He knew all the big minds of the day.
他认识当时最优秀的人才。
128.He hired the best minds money could find.
因此,他雇佣了 用资金能吸引到的最优秀的人才。
129.And the market conditions were fantastic.
当时的市场形势相当有利。
130.The New York Times followed him around everywhere.
纽约时报对他做跟踪报道,
131.And everyone was rooting for Langley.
每个人都支持他。
132.Then how come you’ve never heard of Samuel Pierpont Langley?
但是为什么你们连听都没听说过他呢?
133.A few hundred miles away in Dayton Ohio, Orville and Wilbur Wright, they had none of what we consider to be the recipe for success.
与此同时,几百公里之外的俄亥俄州代顿市 有一对兄弟,奥维尔?莱特和维尔伯?莱特, 他们俩没有任何我们认为的 成功的要素。
134.They had no money.
他们没有钱。
135.They paid for their dream with the proceeds from their bicycle shop.
他们用自行车店的收入来追求他们的梦想。
136.Not a single person on the Wright brothers’ team had a college education, not even Orville or Wilbur.
莱特兄弟的团队中没有一个人 上过大学, 就连奥维尔和维尔伯也没有。
137.And the New York Times followed them around nowhere.
纽约时报更是不沾边的。
138.The difference was, Orville and Wilbur were driven by a cause, by a purpose, by a belief.
不同的是, 奥维尔和维尔伯追求的是一个事业, 一个目标,一种信念。
139.They believed that if they could figure out this flying machine, it’ll change the course of the world.
他们相信如果他们 能研制出飞行器, 将会改变全世界的发展进程。
140.Samuel Pierpont Langley was different.
塞缪尔·兰利就不同了,
141.He wanted to be rich, and he wanted to be famous.
他想要发财,他想要成名。
142.He was in pursuit of the result.
他追求的是最终结果,
143.He was in pursuit of the riches.
是变得富有。
144.And lo and behold, look what happened.
看吧,看接下来怎么样了。
145.The people who believed in the Wright brothers’ dream, worked with them with blood and sweat and tears.
那些怀有和怀特兄弟一样梦想的人 跟他们一起热血朝天地奋斗着。
146.The others just worked for the paycheck.
另一边的人则是为了工资而工作。
147.And they tell stories of how every time the Wright brothers went out, they would have to take five sets of parts, because that’s how many times they would crash
后来流传的故事说,每次怀特兄弟出去实验时, 都必须带着五组零件, 因为那是在他们回来吃晚饭之前
148.before they came in for supper.
将要坠毁的次数。
149.And, eventually, on December 17th, 1903, the Wright brothers took flight, and no one was there to even experience it.
最后,在1903年12月17日, 怀特兄弟成功起飞, 但是当时没有任何其他人在场目睹。
150.We found out about it a few days later.
我们是在几天后才知道的。
151.And further proof that Langley was motivated by the wrong thing, the day the Wright brothers took flight, he quit.
后来的事情进一步证实了 兰利动机不纯, 他在怀特兄弟成功的当天就辞职了。
152.He could have said, “That’s an amazing discovery guys, and I will improve upon your technology,” but he didn’t.
他本来应该可以说: “伙计们,这真是一项伟大的发明, 我可以改进你们的技术。” 但是他没有,
153.He wasn’t first, he didn’t get rich, he didn’t get famous, so he quit.
因为他不是第一个制造出飞机的人,他就不会变得富有, 他也不会变得有名,所以他辞职了。
154.People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it.
人们买的不是你的产品;而是你的信念。
155.And if you talk about what you believe, you will attract those who believe what you believe.
如果你讲述你的信念, 你将吸引那些跟你拥有同样信念的人。
156.But why is it important to attract those who believe what you believe?
但是为什么吸引那些跟你拥有同样信念的人非常重要呢?
157.Something called the law of diffusion of innovation.
创新的传播有一个规律,
158.And if you don’t know the law, you definitely know the terminology.
如果你不知道这个规律,你一定了解这个概念。
159.The first two and a half percent of our population are our innovators.
我们的社会中,有2.5%的人 是革新者。
160.The next 13 and a half percent of our population are our early adopters.
13.5%的人 是早期的少部分采纳者。
161.The next 34 percent are your early majority, your late majority and your laggards.
接下来的34%是早期接受的大多数, 然后是比较晚接受的大多数和最后行动的。
162.The only reason these people buy touch tone phones is because you can’t buy rotary phones anymore.
这部分最后行动的人买按键电话的唯一原因是 因为他们再也买不到转盘电话了。
163.(Laughter) We all sit at various places at various times on this scale, but what the law of diffusion of innovation tells us is that if you want mass-market success
(笑声) 虽然我们在不同的时候会处在这个曲线上不同的位置, 但是创新的传播规律告诉我们 如果你想在大众市场上
164.or mass-market acceptance of an idea, you cannot have it until you achieve this tipping point between 15 and 18 percent market penetration.
获得成功,或者要大众接纳一个点子, 你得等到 获得15%-18%的市场接受度 这个转折点之后才行。
165.And then the system tips.
那时之后市场才真正打开。
166.And I love asking businesses, “What’s your conversion on new business?”
我喜欢问公司:“你的新生意怎么样呀?”
167.And they love to tell you, “Oh, it’s about 10 percent,” proudly.
他们会很自豪地告诉你 “哦,大概有10%吧。”
168.Well, you can trip over 10 percent of the customers.
是呀,你有可能就在10%的顾客群这里过不去了。
169.We all have about 10 percent who just “get it.”
我们都能让10%的人“意会”,
170.That’s how we describe them, right.
对,我们一般这样形容他们。
171.That’s like that gut feeling, “Oh, they just get it.”
就好比描述那种感觉: “哦,他们有点心领神会了”。
172.The problem is: How do you find the ones that get it before you’re doing business with them versus the ones who don’t get it?
问题是:你怎么在他们还没有成为你的顾客之前 就发现那些能意会的人,和那些不能意会的人?
173.So it’s this here, this little gap, that you have to close, as Jeffrey Moore calls it, “crossing the chasm.”
这就是问题的所在,就是这点间隙, 你得把这个间隙给填上, 正如杰弗里穆尔所说的,“跨越鸿沟”。
174.Because, you see, the early majority will not try something until someone else has tried it first.
因为早期的大多数 不会尝试新事物, 除非有些人 已经先尝试过了。
175.And these guys, the innovators and the early adopters, they’re comfortable making those gut decisions.
而这些人,创新者和早期的少数人, 他们喜欢大胆的尝试。
176.They’re more comfortable making those intuitive decisions that are driven by what they believe about the world and not just what product is available.
他们更自然地凭直觉做事情, 发自于他们的世界观的直觉, 而不仅仅是因为市场上有什么样的产品。
177.These are the people who stood on line for six hours to buy an iPhone when they first came out, when you could have just walked into the store the next week
这是一批在 iPhone上市的头几天 去排队等六个小时来购买的人, 而其实只要等一个星期你就可以随便走进店里
178.and bought one off the shelf.
从货架上买到。
179.These are the people 40,000 dollars on flat screen TVs when they first came out, even though the technology was substandard.
这是一批在平板电视刚推出时 会花4万美金买一台的人, 尽管当时的技术还不成熟。
180.And, by the way, they didn’t do it because the technology was so great.
补充说一下,他们并不是因为技术的先进 而买那些产品,
181.They did it for themselves.
而是为了他们自己。
182.It’s because they wanted to be first.
因为他们想成为第一个体验新产品的人。
183.People don’t buy what you do; they buy what you do it.
人们买的不是你的产品;人们买的是你的信念。
184.And what you do simply proves what you believe.
你的行动只是证明了 你的信念。
185.In fact, people will do the things that prove what they believe.
实际上,人们会去做能够体现 他们的信念的事情。
186.The reason that person bought the iPhone in the first six hours, stood in line for six hours, was because of what they believed about the world,
那些为了抢先 在头六个小时内买到iPhone 而 排六个小时的队的人, 是出于他们的世界观,
187.and how they wanted everybody to see them.
出于他们想别人怎么看自己。
188.They were first.
他们是第一批体验者。
189.People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it.
人们买的不是你的产品;他们买的是你的信念。
190.So let me give you a famous example, a famous failure and a famous success of the law of diffusion of innovation.
我再举些著名的例子吧, 证实创新传播规律的一个失败的例子 和一个成功的例子。
191.First, the famous failure.
首先我们讲这个失败的例子。
192.It’s a commercial example.
还是商业上的。
193.As we said before, a second ago, the recipe for success is money and the right people and the right market conditions.
就如我们一秒钟前刚刚说过的, 成功的要素是充足的资金,优秀的人才和良好的市场形势。
194.Right. You should have success then.
那么,是不是如果有这些你就应该获得成功。
195.Look at TiVo.
看看蒂沃(TiVo)数字视频公司吧。
196.From the time TiVo came out, about eight or nine years ago, to this current day, they are the single highest-quality product on the market,
自从推出蒂沃机顶盒以来,大概是八、九年前, 直到今天, 它们一直是市场上唯一的最高品质的产品,
197.hands down, there is no dispute.
这没有任何异议。
198.They were extremely well-funded.
它们绝对是资金充足,
199.Market conditions were fantastic.
市场形势也大好。
200.I mean, we use TiVo as verb.
其实,“蒂沃” 都变成了一个日常用的动词。
201.I TiVo stuff on my piece of junk Time Warner DVR all the time.
比如:我经常把东西蒂沃到我那台华纳数码视频录像机里面。
202.But TiVo’s a commercial failure.
但是蒂沃是个商业上的失败案例,
203.They’ve never made money.
他们没有赚到一分钱。
204.And when they went IPO, their stock was at about 30 or 40 dollars and then plummeted, and it’s never traded above 10.
他们上市时, 股票价格大约在30到40美元, 然后就直线下跌,而成交价格从没超过10美元。
205.In fact, I don’t even think it’s traded above six, except for a couple of little spikes.
实际上,我印象中它的交易价格从来没有超过 6美元, 除了几次小的震荡之外。
206.Because you see, when TiVo launched their product, they told us all what they had.
因为你会发现,蒂沃公司新推出他们的产品时, 他们只是告诉我们他们产品是什么,
207.They said, “We have a product that pauses live TV, skips commercials, rewinds live TV and memorizes your viewing habits without you even asking.”
他们说 “我们的产品可以把电视节目暂停, 跳过广告,回放电视节目, 还能记住你的观看习惯, 你甚至都不用刻意设置它。”
208.And the cynical majority said, “We don’t believe you.
挑剔的人们说: “我们不相信你,
209.We don’t need it. We don’t like it.
我们不需要这样的东西,我们也不喜欢这样的东西。
210.You’re scaring us.”
你在唬人。”
211.What if they had said, “If you’re the kind of person who likes to have total control over every aspect of your life, boy, do we have a product for you.
假如他们这么说: “如果你 想掌控 生活的方方面面, 朋友,那么就试试我们的产品吧。
212.It pauses live TV, skips commercials, memorizes your viewing habits, etc., etc.”
它可以暂停直播节目,跳过广告, 回放直播节目,还能记下你的观看习惯,等等。
213.People don’t buy what you do; they buy why you do it.
人们买的不是你的产品;人们买的是你的信念。
214.And what you do simply serves as the proof of what you believe.
你所做的仅仅只是 你的信念的证明而已。
215.Now let me give you a successful example of the law of diffusion of innovation.
下面我给大家介绍一个 成功的例子。
216.In the summer of 1963, 250,000 people showed up on the mall in Washington to hear Dr. King speak.
1963年的夏天, 25万人 聚集在华盛顿特区 聆听马丁?路德?金博士的演讲。
217.They sent out no invitations, and there was no website to check the date.
那时,既没有发请帖, 也没有可能在网上查看日期。
218.How do you do that?
怎么会有 25万人参加呢?
219.Well, Dr. King wasn’t the only man in America who was a great orator.
而且,金博士不是美国唯一 的伟大演说家,
220.He wasn’t the only man in America who suffered in a pre-civil rights America.
也不是美国唯一一位在民权法案实施前 遭受歧视的人。
221.In fact, some of his ideas were bad.
实际上,他的一些想法甚至不正确。
222.But he had a gift.
但是他有个天赋。
223.He didn’t go around telling people what needed to change in America.
他没有到处宣扬美国需要改变什么方面,
224.He went around and told people what he believed.
他只是到处告诉别人他所相信的。
225.”I believe. I believe. I believe,”
“我相信。我相信。我相信。”
226.he told people.
他总是这么跟别人说。
227.And people who believed what he believed took his cause, and they made it their own, and they told people.
而那些和他怀有同样信念的人 受了他的启发,他们也开始 将自己的信念告诉别人。
228.And some of those people created structures to get the word out to even more people.
有些人建立起一些组织机构 将这些话传给更多的人。
229.And low and behold, 250,000 people showed up on the right day, at the right time, to hear him speak.
你看,就这样, 25万人 在那天,那个时候, 聚集在一起听他演讲。
230.How many of them showed up for him?
有多少人是为了听 “他” 演说而去的呢?
231.Zero.
没有人。
232.They showed up for themselves.
他们是为了他们自己而去的。
233.It’s what they believed about America that got them to travel in a bus for eight hours, to stand in the sun in Washington in the middle of August.
那是他们对于美国的信念 支持着他们坐 8个小时的公车, 站在华盛顿八月中旬的烈日下。
234.It’s what they believed, and it wasn’t about black versus white.
是他们所相信的信念,而不是黑人跟白人之间的斗争。
235.25 percent of the audience was white.
25%的听众是白人。
236.Dr. King believed that there are two types of laws in this world, those that are made by a higher authority and those that are made by man.
金博士相信 世界上有两种律法, 一种是上天制定的, 一种是世人制定的。
237.And not until all the laws that are made by man are consistent with the laws that are made by the higher authority, will we live in a just world.
直到世人制定的法律 和上天制定的律法相符合, 我们才真正生活在公正的世界里。
238.It just so happened that the Civil Rights Movement was the perfect thing to help him bring his cause to life.
民权运动只是碰巧 帮他将信念 付诸于现实的一件事情。
239.We followed, not for him, but for ourselves.
我们跟随他,不是为了他,而是为了我们自己。
240.And, by the way, he gave the “I have a dream” speech, not the “I have a plan” speech.
顺便说一下,他的演讲是 “我有一个梦想”, 而不是 “我有一个方案”。
241.(Laughter) Listen to politicians now with their comprehensive 12-point plans.
(笑声) 听听现在的政治家们提出的 12点的大杂烩计划,
242.They’re not inspiring anybody.
没一点劲。
243.Because there are leaders and there are those who lead.
一些人是当官的,而另一些人是领袖。
244.Leaders hold a position of power or authority.
当官的只是占据在有权力 和威严的位置上,
245.But those who lead inspire us.
但是只有具有领袖素质的人才能激励我们。
246.Whether they’re individuals or organizations, we follow those who lead, not because we have to, but because we want to.
无论他们是个人还是组织, 我们都追隨领袖, 不是因为我们必须这样做, 而是因为我们愿意。
247.We follow those who lead, not for them, but for ourselves.
我们跟随具有领袖能力的人,不是为他们, 而是为我们自己。
248.And it’s those who start with “why”
也只有那些从 “为什么”这个圆圈出发的人
249.that have the ability to inspire those around them or find others who inspire them.
才有能力 激励周围的人, 或者找到能够激励他们的人。
250.Thank you very much.
(非常谢谢大家)

ted演讲稿中英文对照

ShashiTharoor_为什么国家应该采取“软”实力【中英文对照】

2024-4-20 10:54:48

ted演讲稿中英文对照

StefanSagmeister_与你分享快乐的设计【中英文对照】

2024-4-20 10:55:45

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索