PaulBennett_细节是设计的灵魂【中英文对照】

1.Hello. Actually, that’s “hello” in Bauer Bodoni for the typographically hysterical amongst us.
你好.事实上那是Bauer Bodoni体的“你好” 特意为我们当中的字体狂们解释一下
2.One of the threads that seems to have come through loud and clear in the last couple of days is this need to reconcile what the Big wants —
近来传递出来的 一条清楚明白的信息,就是 要调和“大”的需要——
3.the “Big” being the organization, the system, the country — and what the “Small” wants — the individual, the person.
“大”指组织、系统、国家—— 和“小”的需要——那些个体、个人。
4.And how do you bring those two things together?
以及如何将两者联系起来
5.Charlie Ledbetter, yesterday, I thought, talked very articulately about this need to bring consumers, to bring people into the process of creating things.
我想,昨天,Charlie Ledbetter讲得非常清楚 有必要把消费者、把人 引入到创造事物的过程中来。
6.And that’s what I want to talk about today.
而这就是我今天想要讲的内容。
7.So, bringing together The Small to help facilitate and create The Big, I think, is something that we believe in — something I believe in,
那么,通过聚“小”来造“大”, 我想,这是我们的信念——我的信念,
8.and something that we kind of bring to life through what we do at Ideo.
并且某种意义上我们也在实现它, 通过我们在IDEO的工作。
9.I call this first chapter — for the Brits in the room — The Blinding Glimpse of the Bleeding Obvious.
特别为在座的英国观众,我把这第一章叫做—— 熟视无睹
10.Often, the good ideas are so staring-at-you-right-in-the-face, that you kind of miss them. And I think, a lot of times, what we do is just, sort of, hold the mirror up to our clients, and sort of go:
往往好主意近在眼前, 而你却看不到。我想,很多时候, 我们所做的只是拿着镜子对着客户,说:
11.”Duh! You know, look what’s really going on.”
“呃,你来,看看到底怎么回事”
12.And rather than talk about it in the theory, I think I’m just going to show you an example.
并不是坐而论道, 我来举个例子吧。
13.We were asked by a large healthcare system in Minnesota to describe to them what their patient experience was.
明尼苏达的一家很大的医疗保险机构曾经找到我们 让我们向他们描述他们病患的体验。
14.And I think they were expecting — they’d worked with lots of consultants before — I think they were expecting some kind of hIdeous org chart
我想他们预期的是—— 他们肯定找过很多咨询公司—— 我想他们预期的是那些讨厌的组织结构图
15.with thousands of bubbles and systemic this, that, and the other, and all kinds of mappy stuff.
成百上千的气泡图和这系统那系统什么的, 还有各种图示
16.Or even worse, some kind of ghastly death-by-Powerpoint thing with WowCharts and all kinds of, you know, God knows, whatever.
或者更糟,那些吓死人的PPT 满是Wow图表,各种鬼东西。
17.The first thing we actually shared with them was this.
而事实上,我们首先和他们分享的是这个:
18.I’ll play this until your eyeballs completely dissolve.
我要播放到你们的眼珠子蹦出来为止。
19.This is 59 seconds into the film.
这是影片第59秒的地方。
20.This is a minute 59.
这是1分59秒的地方。
21.Three minutes 19.
3分19秒。
22.I think something happens. I think a head may appear in a second.
我想会有事发生。很快可能会有个头出现
23.Five minutes ten.
5分10秒。
24.Five minutes 58.
5分58秒。
25.Six minutes 20.
6分20秒。
26.We showed them the whole cut, and they were all completely, what is this?
我们给他们放了整段的录像, 然后他们全都问,这是什么?
27.And the point is when you lie in a hospital bed all day, all you do is look at the roof, and it’s a really shitty experience.
重点是,当你躺在医院的床上一整天, 你能做的无非是看天花板,而这感受的确非常糟糕。
28.And just putting yourself in the position of the patient.
你需要把自己放在病人的角度看问题。
29.This is Christian, who works with us at Ideo.
这是Christian,我们在Ideo的同事。
30.He just lay in the hospital bed, and, kind of, stared at the polystyrene ceiling tiles for a really long time.
他就这么躺在医院的病床上, 盯着聚苯乙烯的天花板 很长很长时间。
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件]   更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
31.That’s what it’s like to be a patient in the hospital.
住院病人的感觉就是这样的。
32.And they were sort, you know, blinding glimpse of bleeding obvious.
而他们对此却有点视而不见。
33.Oh, my goodness. So, looking at the situation from the point of view of the person out — as opposed to the traditional position of the organization in —
天哪,从当事人的角度 来重新审视这情形—— 而不是从传统的组织内的角度去看——
34.was, for these guys, quite a revelation.
对他们来说是莫大的启发。
35.And so, that was a really catalytic thing for them.
那对他们来说也是催化剂。
36.So they snapped into action.
于是他们迅速付诸行动。
37.They said, OK, it’s not about systemic change.
他们说:好,这不是什么系统性变革。
38.It’s not about huge, ridiculous things that we need to do.
要做的不是荒谬的大工程
39.It’s about tiny things that can make a huge amount of difference.
而是能造成巨大不同的细小的事
40.So we started with them prototyping some really little things that we could do to have a huge amount of impact.
于是我们从他们这里进行了一些小细节的原型设计 那些能带来很大影响的小细节。
41.The first thing we did was we took a little bicycle mirror and we Band-Aided it here, onto a gurney, a hospital trolley, so that when you were wheeled around by a nurse or by a doctor,
首先我们找来了一个小的自行车后镜 把它贴在医院的推车上 这样子当你被护士或者医生推着到处跑的时候
42.you could actually have a conversation with them.
你就可以跟他们对话。
43.You could, kind of, see them in your rear-view mirror, so it created a tiny human interaction.
你可以在你的后视镜里看到他们, 从而创造了一个小型的人性互动。
44.Very small example of something that they could do.
这是他们可做的事情当中的一个小例子。
45.Interestingly, the nurses themselves, sort of, snapped into action — said, OK, we embrace this. What can we do?
有趣的是,护士们都迫不及待的采取行动—— 说,好,我们拥护这个理念。我们能做什么?
46.The first thing they do is they decorated the ceiling.
他们做的第一件事情是装饰了天花板。
47.Which I thought was really — I showed this to my mother recently.
我觉得这很… 最近我拿这个给我妈看,
48.I think my mother now thinks that I’m some sort of interior decorator.
我妈现在估计以为我是搞室内装潢什么的。
49.It’s what I do for a living, sort of Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen.
这就是我谋生的手段,就像Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen,
50.Not particularly the world’s best design solution for those of us who are real, sort of, hard-core designers.
对那些大牌设计师而言, 这些算不上世界上最好的设计。
51.But nonetheless, a fabulous empathic solution for people.
但是无论如何,是出色的充满人性的方案。
52.Things that they started doing themselves — like changing the floor going into the patient’s room so that it signified, “This is my room. This is my personal space,” —
他们自发的、在做的事情—— 比如把病房门口的地板改掉 以显示说“这是我的房间。这是我的私人空间”——
53.was a really interesting sort of design solution to the problem.
是个对问题很有趣的解答
54.So you went from public space to private space.
于是你从公共区域进入了私人空间。
55.And another idea, again, that came from one of the nurses — which I love — was they took traditional, sort of, corporate white boards,
另外一个创意,来自一个护士——我很喜欢这想法—— 他们把传统的公司用的白板
56.then they put them on one wall of the patient’s room, and they put this sticker there.
放到病房的墙上 然后放这些贴纸上去。
57.So that what you could actually do was go into the room and write messages to the person who was sick in that room, which was lovely.
于是你可以走进房间 给里面的病人留言 相当贴心
58.So, tiny, tiny, tiny solutions that made a huge amount of impact.
就是这些,细小、细小再细小的解决方案,带来很大影响力。
59.I thought that was a really, really nice example.
我认为那是个非常非常好的例子。
60.So this is not particularly a new idea, kind of, seeing opportunities in things that are around you and snapping and turning them into a solution.
这个不是什么新的想法, 更像是,从身边已有的事物中寻找机会 然后把他们变成解决方案。
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件]   更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
61.It’s a history of invention based around this.
发明创造的历史便依据于此
62.I’m going to read this because I want to get these names right.
我得看着念,因为我要把名字念对
63.Joan Ganz Cooney saw her daughter — came down on a Saturday morning, saw her daughter watching the test card, waiting for programs to come on one morning
Joan Ganz Cooney看到她女儿——星期六一早醒过来, 在看测试卡 等待着喜欢看的电视节目
64.and from that came Sesame Street.
然后就诞生了“芝麻街”。
65.Malcolm McLean was moving from one country to another and was wondering why it took these guys so long to get the boxes onto the ship.
Malcolm McLean正从一个国家搬去另一个国家 他在想为什么这些人要用那么长时间 才能把箱子搬上船。
66.And he invented the shipping container.
于是他发明了集装箱。
67.George de Mestral — this is not bugs all over a Birkenstock — was walking his dog in a field and got covered in burrs, sort of little prickly things, and from that came Velcro.
George de Mestral ——这并不是爬在勃肯鞋上的虫—— 和他的狗一起散步,发现裤子和狗身上粘满了的苍耳 一种带刺的小东西,于是就有了“维可牢”的发明(一种尼龙刺粘扣)
68.And finally, for the Brits, Percy Shaw — this is a big British invention — saw the cat’s eyes at the side of the road, when he was driving home one night and from that came the Catseye.
最后,英国人们,Percy Shaw ——这是个英国的大发明—— 有一天在他开车回家的路上 看到了路边的猫的眼睛,由此便诞生了猫眼路标。
69.So there’s a whole series of just using your eyes, seeing things for the first time, seeing things afresh and using them as an opportunity to create new possibilities.
这样的例子不胜枚举——用你的眼睛, 以新鲜的眼光看待事物 然后以它们为契机创造新的可能性。
70.Second one, without sounding overly Zen, and this is a quote from the Buddha: “Finding yourself in the margins, looking to the edges of things
其次,听起来不要太禅, 这是佛语: “身处边缘,观看事物周边
71.is often a really interesting place to start.”
往往会有不错的新发现。”
72.Blinkered vision tends to produce, I think, blinkered solutions.
肤浅的目光只会给出短浅的解决方案。
73.So, looking wide, using your peripheral vision, is a really interesting place to look for opportunity.
因此,眼观六路、耳听八方 就会发现更多新机遇。
74.Again, another medical example here.
这里还有另一个医学方面的例子。
75.We were asked by a device producer — we did the Palm Pilot and the Treo.
一位设备生产商问我们—— 我们曾经做过PalmPilot(轻巧随身的PDA产品)脑和Treo系列智能手机。
76.We did a lot of sexy tech at Ideo — they’d seen this and they wanted a sexy piece of technology for medical diagnostics.
在Ideo我们创造出了很多火爆的技术—— 他们看到了这一点,并且他们也需要一项 关于医疗诊断的新技术。
77.This was a device that a nurse uses when they’re doing a spinal procedure in hospital.
这是一台护士用的小设备, 用于在医院里做脊髓检查,
78.They’ll ask the nurses to input data.
它需要护士输入一些数据。
79.And they had this vision of the nurse, kind of, clicking away on this aluminum device and it all being incredibly, sort of, gadget-lustish.
他们期待看到护士不停地按着 这个铝制设备 这个令人难以置信的高科技玩意儿
80.When we actually went and watched this procedure taking place — and I’ll explain this in a second — it became very obvious that there was a human dimension to this
当我们观看整套的操作流程时, 稍后我将解释原因—— 很明显有一些人为的问题在里面,
81.that they really weren’t recognizing.
他们却没有注意到
82.When you’re having a four-inch needle inserted into your spine — which was the procedure that this device’s data was about — it was for pain management. You’re shit scared — you’re freaking out.
当你的脊椎插入了一根四英寸长的针头时—— 那个设备的数据输入便在这个过程中进行—— 用于疼痛管理。你非常恐慌——你吓坏了。
83.And so the first thing that pretty much every nurse did, was hold the patient’s hand to comfort them. Human gesture — which made the fabulous two-handed data input completely impossible.
因此,几乎每位护士都会 握住病人的手来安慰他们。而这个动作—— 使两手操作的资料输入变成完全不可能
84.So, the thing that we designed, much less sexy but much more human and practical, was this.
基于此,我们的设计没有很多的热门技术, 但是更加人性化和实用。就是这个
85.So, it’s not a Palm Pilot by any stretch of the imagination, but it has a thumb-scroll so you can do everything with one hand.
无论如何它都不是Palm Pilot 上面安装了一个滚轮,这样你就可以单手操作。
86.So, again, going back to this — the idea that a tiny human gesture dictated the design of this product.
再回到我们的主题——只是因为小小的手的问题 促使了这台设备的设计方案。
87.And I think that’s really, really important.
我觉得这是非常重要的。
88.So, again, this idea of workarounds.
这些“基于周遭问题”的创意,
89.We use this phrase “workarounds” a lot, sort of, looking around us. I was actually looking around the TED and just watching all of these kind of things happen
我们常用这个说法“基于周遭问题”, 感觉像是在审视我们的周边。当我一到这里, 我就开始审视TED,以及这里发生的
90.while I’ve been here.
一切事情
91.This idea of the way that people cobble together solutions in our life — and the things we kind of do in our environment that are somewhat subconscious but have huge potential —
人们组合生活中各个问题的解决方案—— 以及那些平常我们在做的事情, 那些虽是潜意识的,却具有很大潜力的——
92.is something that we look at a lot.
就是我们所苦苦追寻的创意。
93.We wrote a book recently, I think you might have received it, called “Thoughtless Acts?”
我们最近出了一本书,也许有人已经看过了, 名字叫《无意识的行为》。
94.It’s been all about these kind of thoughtless things that people do, which have huge intention and huge opportunity.
里面都是些人们下意识做出的事情, 但是都蕴含着巨大的潜力和机遇。
95.Why do we all follow the line in the street?
我们为什么总是沿街道上的线行走呢?
96.It’s a picture in a Japanese subway.
这是一张日本地铁里的图片。
97.People consciously follow things even though, why, we don’t know.
人们总是习惯性的跟随某些东西,却不知为何
98.Why do we line up the square milk carton with the square fence?
为什么人们总把方形牛奶盒摆在广场方形护栏上呢?
99.Because we kind of have to — we’re just compelled to.
这是因为我们有点——不得不这么做。
100.We don’t know why, but we do.
虽然不知原因,但的确要做。
101.Why do we wrap the teabag string around the cup handle?
我们为什么总把茶包线缠在杯柄上呢?
102.Again, we’re sort of using the world around us to create our own design solutions.
我们只是利用周遭世界 来创造自己的设计解决方案。
103.And we’re always saying to our clients: “You should look at this stuff.
我们通常会告诉客户:“你应该注意这个,
104.This stuff is really important. This stuff is really vital.”
这个很重要,极为关键。”
105.This is people designing their own experiences.
这是人们设计自己经验的过程。
106.You can draw from this.
你可以从中学到很多。
107.We sort of assume that because there’s a pole in the street, that it’s okay to use it, so we park our shopping cart there.
我们假定如果马路上出现了一根杆, 人们就可以用,于是我们把购物车停在那里。
108.It’s there for our use, on some level.
它的存在为我所用。
109.So, again, we sort of co-opt our environment to do all these different things.
我们利用周围环境 以便解决繁杂的事情。
110.We co-opt other experiences — we take one item and transfer it to another.
我们援用别处得到的经验—— 从一项转移到另一项上。
111.And this is my favorite one. My mother used to say to me, “Just because your sister jumps in the lake doesn’t mean you have to.”
我很喜欢的一句话,是我妈妈告诉我的: “你姐姐跳进湖里,但你没必要跟着一起跳。”
112.But, of course, we all do. We all follow each other every day.
但我们都跟着跳进去了。我们总重复他人。
113.So somebody assumes that because somebody else has done something, that’s permission for them to do the same thing.
有人试图解释原因: 因为有人做了某事, 即表示他们也可以做相同的事
114.And there’s almost this sort of semaphore around us all the time.
很多人有着类似的想法。
115.I mean, shopping bag equals “parking meter out of order.”
我是说,塑料袋等同于停车计费器故障。
116.And we all, kind of, know how to read these signals now.
人人都明白这些信号的含义。
117.We all talk to one another in this highly visual way without realizing what we’re doing.
我们以这些人尽皆知的视觉方式交流, 甚至没有意识到我们到底在做什么。
118.Third section is this idea of not knowing, of consciously putting yourself backwards.
第三部分是关于“不知”的, 有意识地清空自己的常识
119.I talk about unthinking situations all the time.
我经常会谈论各类被疏忽的情形。
120.Sort of having beginner’s mind, scraping your mind clean and looking at things afresh.
就像拥有新人的想法,将你所有的知识、经验清空, 重新审视一件事物。
121.A friend of mine was a designer at IKEA, and he was asked by his boss to help design a storage system for children.
我有一个在宜家做设计师的朋友。 有一天,他的老板要求他 为儿童设计一款贮存物品的家具。
122.This is the Billy bookcase — it’s IKEA’s biggest selling product.
这是比利书柜——宜家里最畅销的一款产品。
123.Hammer it together. Hammer it together with a shoe, if you’re me, because they’re impossible to assemble.
将它钉在一起。用鞋子来敲打组合,如果是我的话, 因为很难组装。
124.But big selling bookcase. How do we replicate this for children?
但依然很畅销,如何把这个复制给儿童呢?
125.The reality is when you actually watch children, children don’t think about things like storage in linear terms.
如果你认真观察儿童的举动,你会发现 孩子们并不想把东西按顺序排放好。
126.Children assume permission in a very different way.
孩子们有着全然不同于成人的想法,
127.Children live on things. They live under things.
他们站在物品上面,或者爬到下面,
128.They live around things, and so that their spatial awareness relationship, and their thinking  around storage is totally different.
抑或是围绕在四围, 因此,他们对于空间意识的理解 以及对于贮存物品的方式有着自己的看法。
129.So the first thing you have to do — this is Graham, the designer — is, sort of, put yourself in their shoes. And so, here he is sitting under the table.
因此,首先你要——这就是Graham,那个设计师—— 把自己放到孩子们的角度上。所以,他就 钻到了桌子底下。
130.So, what came out of this?
结果如何呢?
131.This is the storage system that he designed.
这是他所设计的贮存物品的工具。
132.So what is this? I hear you all ask. No, I don’t.
这是什么啊?我听到你们问了。不,我没听到。
133.(Laughter) It’s this, and I think this is a particularly lovely solution.
(笑声) 是这样的,我认为这是一个特别可爱的设计。
134.So, you know, it’s a totally different way of looking at the situation.
这是一种全新的解决问题的方法。
135.It’s a completely empathic solution — apart from the fact that teddy’s probably not loving it.
这是一个倾注了感情的解决方案—— 当然,泰迪熊很可能不会喜欢这个方法。
136.(Laughter) But a really nice way of re-framing the ordinary, and I think that’s one of the things.
(笑声) 但,这不妨碍它推陈出新的亮点, 而且,我觉得这很难得。
137.And putting yourself in the position of the person, and I think that’s one of the threads that I’ve heard again from this conference is how do we put ourselves
把自己换个角度来思考, 在TED集会上,我反复听到的一个思路就是 如何把自己放到别人的角度上去思考问题,
138.in other peoples’ shoes and really feel what they feel?
站在他们立场上去体会他们的感受
139.And then use that information to fuel solutions?
并且借助这种体会去解决面临的问题
140.And I think that’s what this is very much about.
我认为这才是最主要。
141.Last section: green armband. We’ve all got them, is about this really.
最后一章:绿色手链。我们都有, 跟这个相关。
142.I mean, it’s about picking battles big enough to matter but small enough to win.
也就是说要从大处着眼, 从小处着手。
143.Again, that’s one of the themes that I think has come through loud and clear in this conference is: Where do we start? How do we start? What do we do to start?
这也是我在这里反复听到的 被强调的几个主题之一: 我们从何做起?如何开展?如何起步?
144.So, again, we were asked to design a water pump for a company called ApproTEC, in Kenya.
有一次,一家位于肯尼亚名叫ApproTEC的公司 委托我们设计一款水泵。
145.They’re now called KickStart.
现在这家公司更名为KickStart了。
146.And, again, as designers, we wanted to make this thing incredibly beautiful and spend a lot of time thinking of the form.
作为设计师, 我们想把这个产品做得非常漂亮, 花费了很多时间去构思形状。
147.And that was completely irrelevant.
其实这无关紧要。
148.When you put yourself in the position of these people, things like the fact that this has to be able to fold up and fit on a bicycle, become much more relevant
当你设身处地的站在那些人的角度去考虑时, 你会发现,这件产品要能被折叠, 并且可以放在自行车上,这个比外观重要多了。
149.than the form of it. The way it’s produced, it has to be produced with indigenous manufacturing methods and indigenous materials.
此外,生产的方式 必须适合手工制造, 同时原材料也需取自当地。
150.So it had to be looked at completely from the point of view of the user.
这需要完全从一个使用者的角度来审视,
151.We had to completely transfer ourselves over to their world.
我们不得不把自己转到他们的世界里
152.So what seems like a very clunky product, is, in fact, incredibly useful.
这种看起来笨重的产品 其实惊人的实用。
153.It’s powered a bit like a Stairmaster — you pump up and down on it.
它的操作就像爬楼梯——上下踏动来操作
154.Children can use it. Adults can use it. Everybody uses it.
儿童可以使用,大人可以使用,人人都可以轻松操作
155.It’s turning these guys — again, one of the themes — it’s turning them into entrepreneurs.
它转变了这些人——另一个主题—— 将他们转变为企业家。
156.These guys are using this very successfully.
这些人可以非常容易的使用这个水泵。
157.And for us, it’s been great because it’s won loads of design awards.
对于我们,也是受益匪浅, 因为这个设计得了很多奖。
158.So we actually managed to reconcile the needs of the design company, the needs of the individuals in the company, to feel good about a product we were actually designing,
最终,我们顺利的实现了客户的需求, 满足了公司里不同个体的需求, 让他们对我们所设计的产品非常满意,
159.and the needs of the individuals we were designing it for.
同时切合了使用者对这个产品的期望。
160.There it is, pumping water from 30 feet.
这就是那个水泵,能把水抽到30英尺的高度。
161.So as a final gesture we handed out these bracelets to all of you this morning.
今早,我们把这些手链发到了每一个人手里 以表示我们的心意。
162.We’ve made a donation on everybody’s behalf here to KickStart, no pun intended, their next project.
我们以座诸位的名义为KichStart做了捐赠, 不是双关语,而是KichStart的另一项工程。
163.Because, again, I think, sort of, putting our money where our mouth is, here.
因为这象征着,在我们赖以生存的事物上投资。
164.We feel that this is an important gesture.
这很重要,具有很深远的意义。
165.So we’ve handed out bracelets. Small is the new big.
因此,我们送出这个手链。“以小博大”
166.I hope you’ll all wear them.
希望你们能戴着它。
167.So that’s it. Thank you.
我的演讲就是这些,谢谢大家。

ted演讲稿中英文对照

PatrickAwuah_领袖型人才的培养【中英文对照】

2024-4-17 10:20:02

ted演讲稿中英文对照

PaulCollier_最底层的10亿人【中英文对照】

2024-4-18 11:00:49

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索