1.I was informed by this kind of unoriginal and trite idea that new technologies were an opportunity for social transformation, which is what drove me then,
我知道有这样一个 既没有创造力也很老生常谈的想法, 新的技术可以成为 社会变革的机会。 而这恰恰促使我去做这些
2.and still, it’s a delusion that drives me now.
不论是过去还是现在,就如同一个幻想,一直驱动着我。
3.I wanted to update what I’ve been doing since then — but it’s still the same theme song — and introduce you to my lab and current work,
从那以后,我一直想要在自己从事的东西上有所进展, 但一直以来总是同一首主题歌, 将我的研究室以及目前从事的工作介绍给大家,
4.which is the Environmental Health Clinic that I run at NYU.
我在纽约大学建立的环境健康诊所 。
5.And what it is — it’s a twist on health.
它标志着环境健康的变革。
6.Because, really, what I’m trying to do now is redefine what counts as health.
因为,事实上,我目前一直致力于 重新定义什么是健康。
7.It’s a clinic like a health clinic at any other university, except people come to the clinic with environmental health concerns, and they walk out with prescriptions
它就像任何一所大学里的健康诊所, 除了,来这里的都是 带着与环境有关的健康问题的人们, 而离开时带着
8.for things they can do to improve environmental health, as opposed to coming to a clinic with medical concerns and walking out with prescriptions for pharmaceuticals.
能够帮助改善环境健康的处方, 而并非是为了一些医学上的问题来到诊所的, 也不会带着药方离开。
9.It’s a handy-dandy quote from Hippocrates of the Hippocratic oath that says, “The greater part of the soul lays outside the body, treatment of the inner requires treatment of the outer.”
有句关于希波克拉底誓言的引用: “灵魂的大部分都在身体的外面 要想要治愈内部,必须先要治愈外部。”
10.But that suggests the issue that I’m trying to get at here, that we have an opportunity to redefine what is health.
但这恰恰说明了这个问题, 我一直试图得到的这个问题, 我们有机会重新定义健康。
11.Because this idea that health is internal and atomized and individual and pharmaceutical is largely an error.
因为健康是内在的 微小的,个人的, 药物的, 这样的想法是个很大的错误。
12.And I would use this study, a recent study by Philip Landrigan, to motivate a different view of health, where he went to most of the pediatricians in Manhattan
我想用一个最近 由菲利普·兰德里根Philip Landrigan主导的研究, 来激发一种关于健康完全不一样的观点。 在这个研究中,他探访了曼哈顿
13.and the New York area and logged what they spent their patient hours on.
以及纽约的大部分的儿科医生, 记录了他们就诊时间的统计。
14.80 to 90 percent of their time was spent on five things.
百分之80到90的就诊时间 主要是用在五种类型的疾病。
15.Number one was asthma, number two was developmental delays, number three was 400-fold increases in rare childhood cancers in the last eight to 10, 15 years.
第一个是哮喘, 第二个是发育迟缓, 第三个是以四百倍速递增长的 在过去的10到15年间罕见的发生在儿童阶段的癌症 。
16.Number four and five were childhood obesity and diabetes-related issues.
第四和第五分别是儿童肥胖 以及糖尿病相关疾病。
17.So all of those — what’s common about all of those?
因此所有这些,他们的共同点是什么?
18.The environment is implicated, radically implicated, right.
与环境相关联,而且是息息相关,对吗?
19.This is not the germs that medicos were trained to deal with; this is a different definition of health, health that has a great advantage
它不是那些普遍意义上的 医生们过去常常对付的细菌; 这是一个关于健康完全不同的定义, 因为健康是外在的,它是相互影响的,
20.because it’s external, it’s shared, we can do something about it, as opposed to internal, genetically predetermined or individualized.
所以它是有很大优势的, 为此,我们可以做很多去改善它, 并非是内在的,而是由遗传 或是个人来决定。
21.People who come to the clinic are called, not patients, but impatients, because they’re too impatient to wait for legislative change
来到诊所的人们不被称作是病人 而是“没有耐心的人们”, 因为他们没有耐心去等待立法上的改变
22.to address local and environmental health issues.
去强调当地环境健康的重要性。
23.And I meet them at the University, I also have a few field offices that I set up in various places that provide an immersion in some of the environmental challenges we face.
我在大学里与这样的人见面,同时我也在其他一些地方 建立了我的办公室 就目前我们所面对的环境挑战, 我提供些许的方法。
24.I like this one from the Belgian field office, where we met in a roundabout, precisely because the roundabout iconified the headless social movement
我喜欢这个来自比利时地区的办公室, 我们在一个环形交叉路口, 确切地说,因为环形交叉路口 使得错综复杂的公共运动图幅化
25.that informs much social transformation, as opposed to the top-down control of red light traffic intersections.
使得公共交通变化更清晰, 相较于严密管理的 十字路口的红绿灯而言。
26.In this case, of course, the roundabout with that micro-decisions being made in situ by people not being told what to do.
在这种情况下,当然,在环形交叉路口 人们不会等在原地 被告知该如何去做,而做出微小的决定。
27.But, of course, affords greater throughput, fewer accidents, and an interesting model of social movement.
但是,当然,它能承载更大的交通吞吐量, 更少的事故, 同时也是一个有趣的公共运动模式。
28.Some of the things that the monitoring protocols have developed: this is the tadpole bureaucrat protocol, or keeping tabs, if you will.
我们还研发了一些监测实验计划: 这是一个蝌蚪管理实验计划 或者养蝌蚪,如果你愿意这样称呼。
29.What they are is an addition of tadpoles that are named after a local bureaucrat whose decisions affect your water quality.
这是一个与蝌蚪有关的实验 以当地的一个管理组织命名的 该组织的决定能够直接影响水质。
30.So an impatient concern for water quality would raise a tadpole bureaucrat in a sample of water in which they’re interested.
因此作为对水质的关注 养一只蝌蚪 在他们所关心的水样中。
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件] 更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
31.And we give them a couple of things to do that, to help them do companion animal devices while they’re blogging and doing their email.
我们提供一系列的东西 去帮助他们做些陪护动物的装置 当他们在写博客时或是写邮件时都可以提供。
32.This is a tadpole walker to take your tadpole walking in the evening.
这是遛蝌蚪 在晚上的时候,带着你的蝌蚪散步。
33.And the interesting thing that happens — because we’re using tadpoles, of course, because they have the most exquisite biosenses that we have,
有趣的是 因为我们在用蝌蚪,当然 因为与我们人类相比,它们有最敏感的生物触觉,
34.several orders of magnitude more sensitive than some of our senses for sensing, responding in a biologically meaningful way, to that whole class of industrial contaminants
甚至比我们敏感好几倍 在某些感觉上 作为感觉 作为对于整个工业污染的反应 在生物上来说是很有意义的方式,
35.we call endocrine disruptors or hormone emulators.
我们称之为环境荷尔蒙 或者荷尔蒙仿真器。
36.But by taking your tadpole out for a walk in the evening — there’s a few action shots — your neighbors are likely to say, “What are you doing?”
说到晚上遛蝌蚪 有些动态照片 你的邻居很可能会问,“你在干什么?”
37.And then you have to introduce your tadpole and who it’s named after.
然后你要介绍你的蝌蚪 它是因为什么命名的。
38.You have to explain what you’re doing and how the developmental events of a tadpole are, of course, very observable and they use the same T3-mediated hormones that we do.
你要解释你在做什么 蝌蚪的近况如何 当然,这很容易发现 然后它们也和我们一样需要甲状腺刺激素。
39.And so next time your neighbor sees you they’ll say, “How is that tadpole doing?”
因此下次你的邻居再看到你时 他们会说:“你的蝌蚪最近如何?”
40.And you can let them social network with your tadpole, because the Environmental Health Clinic has a social networking site for, not only impatients, humans,
然后你可以让他们同你的蝌蚪社交, 因为环境健康诊所也有自己的社交体系 不仅仅是为了那些“不耐心的人”,其他人
41.but non-humans, social networking for humans and non-humans.
甚至非人类 以及人与非人类的社交。
42.And of course, these endocrine disruptors are things that are implicated in the breast cancer epidemic, the obesity epidemic, the two and a half year drop in the average age of onset of puberty in young girls
当然,这些环境荷尔蒙 涉及到大量发生的乳腺癌, 流行肥胖症, 近两年半间开始发生在年轻的青春期女孩身上
43.and other related things.
以及其它有关的东西。
44.The culmination of this is if you’ve successfully raised your tadpole, observing the behavioral and developmental events, you will then go and introduce your tadpole
这个活动的结果就是,如果你成功的养了你的蝌蚪 观察它的行为 以及发展的活动, 你将要去介绍你的蝌蚪
45.to its namesake and discuss the evidence that you’ve seen.
给管理机构 讨论你们发现的事实。
46.Another quick protocol — and I’m going to go through these quickly, but just to give you the material sense of what we’re doing here —
还有一个实验计划——我会很快地给大家介绍一下, 只是给大家直观的感受,我们在做些什么,
47.instead of asking you for urine samples, I’ll ask you for a mouse sample.
而不是要大家的尿样, 而是跟你要一个老鼠样本。
48.Anyone here lucky enough to share, to cohabit with a mouse — a domestic partnership with mice?
有人这里愿意分享么,幸运的话,与一只老鼠共同生活 驯养老鼠?
49.Very lucky.
很幸运。
50.Mice, of course, are the quintessential model organism.
老鼠,当然,是最典型的 模式生物。
51.They’re even better models of environmental health, because not only the same mammalian biology, but they share your diet, largely.
他们是很好的环境健康的样本, 因为不仅仅同是哺乳动物, 它们还与你有共同的饮食,大部分
52.They share your environmental stressors, the asbestos levels and lead levels, whatever you’re exposed to.
它们与你处在相同的环境应激源中, 共同的石棉水平和铅水平 不论你面临的是哪个。
53.And they’re geographically more limited than you are, because we don’t know if you’ve been exposed to persistent organic pollutants
它们在地理上来说比你收到的限制更多, 因为我们不知道你是否曾今 接触过持续性有机污染物
54.in your home, or occupationally or as a child.
在你的家中,职场 或是还是孩子的时候。
55.Mice are a very good representation.
老鼠是个很好的代表。
56.So it starts by building a better mousetrap, of course.
一开始要弄个不错的捕鼠器,当然
57.This is one of them.
这就是其中的一个。
58.Coping with environmental stressors is tricky.
与环境应激源相处是件很难处理的事。
59.Is anybody here on antidepressants?
这里有人在服用抗抑郁剂么?
60.(Laughter) There’s a lot of people in Manhattan are.
(笑声) 在曼哈顿有很多人服用
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件] 更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
61.And we were testing if the mice would also self-administer SSRIs.
我们测试了那些老鼠是否 也自己服用抗抑郁症药物。
62.So this was Prozac, this was Zoloft, this was a black jellybean and this was muscle relaxant, all of which were the medications that the impatient was taking.
这个是百忧解(抗抑郁药),这个是左洛复(抗抑郁药) 这是一个黑色的豆形软糖,这个是肌肉松弛剂 这些都是那些“不耐心的人们”所服用的。
63.So do you think the mice self-administered antidepressants?
你们认为老鼠会 自己服用抗抑郁药么?
64.What’s the — (Audience: Sure. Yes.) How did you know that? They did.
什么(观众:一定的,确实) 你怎么知道?它们确实这么做了。
65.This was vodka and solution, gin and solution.
这个是伏特加和酒精,杜松子酒和溶液。
66.This guy also liked plain water and the muscle relaxant.
这老鼠还喜欢普通的水和肌肉松弛剂。
67.Where’s our export?
我们发现什么了?
68.Vodka, gin — (Audience: [unclear]) Yes. Yes. You know your mice well.
伏特加,杜松子酒 (观众:【不清楚】) 没错,你非常了解老鼠。
69.They did, yes.
它们确实这么做了。
70.So they drank as much vodka as they did plain water, which was interesting.
它们喝起伏特加就像喝水一样, 这很有意思。
71.Then of course, it goes into the entrapment device.
然后,当然,它们走到诱捕器中。
72.There’s an old cellphone in there — a good use for old cellphones — which dials the clinic, we go and pick up the mouse.
那儿有个老式手机——老式手机得很好利用 来联络诊所,我们到那儿去抓老鼠。
73.We take the blood sample and do the blood work and hair work on the mice.
我们提取血样 对它做毛发和血样测试。
74.And I want to sort of point out the big advantage of framing health in this external way.
我想提一下这样做很大的一个好处 那就是对健康的外在表现方式做一个很好的框架。
75.But we do have a few prescription products through this.
不过通过这些,我们确实得到一些治疗方法。
76.It’s very different from the medical model.
这与医学模式非常不同。
77.Anything you do to improve your water quality or air quality, or to understand it or to change it, the benefits are enjoyed by anyone
为了提高水的质量,空气质量, 或者更了解他们,改变他们 你所做的一切都在与其他人共享
78.you share that water quality or air quality with.
你同大家一起分享好的水质,空气质量。
79.And that aggregating effect, that collective action effect, is actually something we can use to our advantage.
然后,集体的力量 凝聚的力量 的的确确是我们可以利用的。
80.So I want to show you one prescription product in the clinic called the No Park.
因此我想给大家看一个我们诊所的治疗方法 称作“非公园”。
81.This is a prescription to improve water quality.
这是一个提高水质的处方。
82.Many impatients are very concerned for water quality and air quality.
很多“没有耐心的人”对于水质及空气质量都很关心。
83.What we do is we take a fire hydrant, a “no parking” space associated with a fire hydrant, and we prescribe the removal of the asphalt
我们所做的就是将消防栓 一个“非公园”的空间与消防栓相联系 我们采用将沥青去除的方式
84.to create an engineered micro landscape, to create an infiltration opportunity.
去开辟一块小的工程景观 创造一个渗透作用的机会。
85.Because, many of you will know, that the biggest pollution burden that we have on the New York, New Jersey harbor right now is no longer the point sources,
因为,大多数人都知道 最大的污染负担 我们目前在纽约,新泽西港湾所存在的 不再是以点作为源头,
86.no longer the big polluters, no longer the GEs, but that massive network of roads, [those] impervious surfaces, that collect all that cadmium neurotoxin that comes from your brake liners
也不再是很大的污染制造者, 不再是通用电气, 而是巨大的道路网 那些无法渗透的表面 聚集了来自汽车制动装置的所有的镉毒素
87.or the oily hydrocarbon waste in every single storm event and medieval infrastructure washes it straight into the estuary system.
或是浸透油的碳氢化合物废物 即便是一次很小的风暴或是中世纪的基础设施 都足以把它们冲入河口的水域中去。
88.That doesn’t do a lot of good.
这一点都没有好处。
89.These are little opportunities to intercept those pollutants before they enter the harbor, and they’re produced by impatients on various city blocks
几乎没有机会截住那些污染物 在它们到达港湾之前, “没有耐心的人们”建立了这些 在很多的城市街区
90.in some very interesting ways.
一些非常有意思的方式。
91.I just want to say it was sort of a rule of thumb though, there’s about two or three fire hydrants on every city block.
我想说,虽然它仅仅是靠经验实践的方法, 在每个城市街区,大约有两到三个消防栓 。
92.By creating engineered micro landscapes to infiltrate in them, we don’t prevent them from being used as emergency vehicle parking spaces,
建立小的工程景观去使污染物渗透 我们并没有阻碍他们 作为紧急停车的空间,
93.because, of course, a firetruck can come and park there.
因为,当然,消防车可以停在那里。
94.They flatten a few plants. No big deal, they’ll regenerate.
可能会压平一些植物,但没有什么大碍,他们可以再种。
95.But if we did this in every single — every fire hydrant we could redefine the emergency.
但如果我们这么做了 在每一个 每隔一个消防栓 我们可以重新定义紧急事件。
96.That 99 percent of the time when a firetruck is not parking there, it’s infiltrating pollutants.
就是,百分之99的情况下, 当没有消防车停靠的时候, 它用于渗透污染物。
97.It’s also increasing fixing CO2s, sequestering some of the airborne pollutants.
同时还帮助固定二氧化碳, 隔离一些空气传播的污染物。
98.And aggregated, these smaller interceptions could actually infiltrate all the roadborne pollution that now runs into the estuary system,
同时聚集的 这些小型的阻挡 确实能够渗透路面的污染物 阻止它们流入河口水域,
99.up to a seven inch rain event, up to a hundred-year storm.
即便是七英寸的大雨或是百年难遇的风暴。
100.So these are small actions that can amount to a significant effect to improve local environmental health.
因此这些小小的行动 可以产生巨大的效果 来提高当地的环境健康。
101.This is one of the more ambitious ones.
这是那些比较有抱负的计划中的一个
102.What the climate crisis has revealed to us is a secondary, more insidious and more pervasive crisis, which is the crisis of agency,
气候危机是 二次的,更潜在的 影响极广的危机 有哪些危机处理的相关部门
103.which is what to do.
又该做些什么呢?
104.Somehow buying a local lettuce, changing a light bulb, driving the speed limit, changing your tires regularly, doesn’t seem sufficient
买当地的生菜,或是换一个灯泡, 开车限速,常换轮胎, 这些行为未必有效
105.in the face of climate crisis.
在面对气候危机的时候。
106.And this is an interesting icon that happened — you remember these: fallout shelters.
这是个很有趣的图片,发生在 你们知道这些:沉降物掩蔽所。
107.What is the fallout shelter for the climate crisis?
什么是应对气候危机的 沉降物掩蔽所呢?
108.This was civic mobilization.
这个是市民的活动区域。
109.Churches, school groups, hospitals, private residents — everyone built one of these in a matter of months.
教堂,学校 医院,私人住所 每个人都能在几个月之内建起其中的一个。
110.And they still remain as icons of civic response in the face of shared, uncertain, collective threat.
他们始终是 市民活动的符号 当面对共享的,不确定的,集体的危机时。
111.Fallout shelter for the climate crisis, I would say, looks something like this, or this, which is an intensive urban agriculture facility
作为气候危机的沉降物掩蔽所, 我想说,它看起来有点像这个或是这个 俨然是个城市农业设施
112.that’s due to go on my lab building at NYU.
依据我们在纽约大学实验室做的。
113.What it does is a very simple idea of taking — 80 to 90 percent of the CO2 produced in Manhattan is building related — we take, just like a commercial greenhouse,
其实它依据的 是个非常简单的想法 就是—— 将曼哈顿产生的百分之80到90的二氧化碳 用于建筑相关的东西 就像一个商业的温室,
114.we take the CO2 from the building — CO2-enriched air — we force it through the urban agriculture facility, and then we resupply oxygen-enriched air.
我们将建筑物中的二氧化碳取出 充满二氧化碳气体的空气 我们将其注入到城市农业设施中, 然后我们再补充富氧空气。
115.You can’t actually build much on a roof, they’re not designed for that.
事实上,我们不能在顶上弄太多,它们不适合。
116.So it’s on legs, so it focuses all the load on the masonry walls and the columns.
而是在支柱上 将所有的载荷都放在砌筑墙和柱子上。
117.It’s built as a barn raising, using open source hardware.
就像一个仓库凸起 使用一些开放的硬件。
118.This is the quarter-scale prototype that was functioning in Spain.
这是一个四分之一比例的原型 在西班牙运作
119.This is what it will look like, fingers crossed, NYU willing.
这是它看起来的样子,十指交叉的 纽约大学设计的。
120.And what I want to show you is — actually this is one of the components of it that we’ve just recently been testing — which is a solar chimney —
我想给大家看的是 其实这是我们最近在试验的东西的一个部分 太阳能烟囱,
121.we have got 17 of them now put around New York at the moment — that passively draws air up.
目前,我们在纽约的17处安放了它们 将空气被动地上抬。
122.You understand a solar chimney.
你知道,太阳能烟囱。
123.Hot air rises.
高温气体上升。
124.You put a bit of black plastic on the side of a building, it’ll heat up, and you’ll get passive airflow.
你把些许黑色塑料放在建筑物的侧面, 它将会升温,这样就得到了被动的气流。
125.What we do is actually put a standard HVAC filter on the top of that.
我们所做的实际上就是 把一个标准的过滤系统放在上面。
126.That actually removes about 95 percent of the carbon black, that stuff that, with ozone, is responsible for about half of global warming’s effects,
它事实上能够过滤掉百分之95 的炭黑, 而这个东西,与臭氧一起使得 全球变暖起码一半都受其影响,
127.because it changes, it settles on the snow, it changes the reflectors, it changes the transmission qualities of the atmosphere.
因为附着在积雪上, 它能改变反射物, 进而改变 大气的传输质量。
128.Carbon black is that grime that otherwise lodges in your pretty pink lungs, and it’s associated with.
炭黑是一种灰尘 要不然附着在你健康的肺上, 或是与此相关的。
129.It’s not good stuff, and it’s from inefficient combustion, not from combustion itself.
它不是很好的物质,来自于不完全燃烧 并非燃烧本身。
130.When we put it through our solar chimney, we remove actually about 95 percent of that.
当我们把它放到我们的太阳能烟囱时, 我们过滤掉了大约百分之95。
131.And then I swap it out with the students and actually re-release that carbon black.
然后我 和学生们一起把它取出 事实上,我们重新利用了那些炭黑。
132.And we make pencils the length of which measures the grime that we’ve pulled out of the air.
把他们做成铅笔,它的长度用来测量 我们从空气中过滤出的灰尘。
133.Here’s one of them that we have up now.
这是我们目前所做的烟囱中的一个。
134.Here’s who put them up and who are avid pencil users.
这是他们把它抬起来的照片还有急切的铅笔使用者。
135.Okay, so I want to show you just two more interfaces, because I think one of our big challenges is re-imagining our relationship to natural systems,
好的,我还想给大家再看 两个联系 因为我认为,我们人类面临的其中一个最大的挑战 就是重新想象我们与自然系统的关系
136.not only through this model of twisted personalized health, but through the animals with whom we cohabit.
不仅仅是通过这个 变革的个人健康模式 而是通过那些动物 与我们共同居住的动物。
137.We are not alone; the animals are moving in.
不仅仅只有我们自己,动物们也在进入到城市中。
138.In fact, urban migration now describes the movement of animals formerly known as wild into urban centers.
事实上,城市移民也包括 被大家认为是野生的 进入到城市中心的动物们。
139.You know, coyote in Central Park, a whale in the Gowanus Canal, elk in Westchester County.
你知道,中央公园有丛林狼,河流港口有鲸 韦斯特切斯特县有麋鹿。
140.It’s happening all over the Developed World, probably for loss of habitat, but also because our cities are a little bit more livable
它一直都发生在这发达的世界 可能是因为失去了居住地 也可能是因为城市更适合它们居住
141.than they have been.
相比于它们过去的栖息地。
142.And every green space we create is an invitation for non-humans to cohabit with us.
而我们所创造的每一片绿地 都是对非人类与我们共同居住的邀请。
143.But we’ve kind of lacked imagination in how we could do that well or interestingly.
但我们有些缺乏想象力 如何能很好地做到这些,有趣地接受。
144.And I want to show you a few of the technological interfaces that have been developed under the moniker of OOZ — which is zoo backwards and without cages —
我想给大家看些从技术角度上说的联系 我们发展的,取名为“ooz” 把zoo(动物园)倒过来,没有束缚的笼子
145.to try and reform that relationship.
去尝试,去改变 人与动物的关系。
146.This is communication technology for birds. I looks like this.
这个是鸟类的交流方式。它是这样的。
147.When a bird lands on it, they trigger a sound file.
当一只鸟停在上面,他们发出一个音频文件。
148.This is actually in the Whitney Museum, where there were six of them, each of which had a different argument on it, different sound file.
这个实际上装在惠特尼博物馆,有6个 每一个的的内容都不一样 不同的音频文件。
149.They said things like this.
内容比如说这个。
150.(Whistling) Recorded Voice: Here’s what you need to do.
(口哨声) 录音:下面是你应该去做的。
151.Go down there and buy some of those health food bars, the ones you call bird food, and bring it here and scatter it around.
下楼去,到健康食品的小卖部 买一些你称之为鸟食的东西 把它们拿回来,撒到周围。
152.There’s a good person.
你就是个不错的人。
153.Natalie Jeremijenko: Okay. (Laugher) So there was several of these.
Natalie Jeremijenko:好(笑声) 有一些这样的装置。
154.The birds were able to jump from one to the other.
鸟儿们可以从一个跳到另一个。
155.These are just your average urban pigeon.
他们只是平常的城市鸽子。
156.And an early test which argument elicited cooperative behavior from the people below — about a hundred to one decided that this was the argument
一个早期的实验 哪个言论更能得 大家的配合 十有八九的人都 认为就是下面这个
157.that worked best on us.
效果最好。
158.Recorded Voice: Tick, tick, tick.
录音:滴,滴,滴。
159.That’s the sound of genetic mutations of the avian flu becoming a deadly human flu.
这是禽流感 基因变异 变成对人类致命的流感的声音。
160.Do you know what slows it down?
你知道如何使它变慢么?
161.Healthy sub-populations of birds, increasing biodiversity generally.
健康的鸟类群体 一般说来提高了物种的多样性。
162.It is in your interests that I’m healthy, happy, well-fed.
我能够健康,快乐,喂得饱饱的, 这都归功于大家的互利。
163.Hence, you could share some of your nutritional resources instead of monopolizing them.
因此,你应该分享你的营养资源 而不是独自享有。
164.That is, share your lunch.
那就是,分享你的午餐吧。
165.(Laughter) NJ: It worked, and it’s true.
(笑声) NJ:它确实有效,真的。
166.The final project I’d like to show you is a new interface for fish that has just been launched — it’s actually officially launched next week —
最后一个我想给大家看的项目是 关于鱼的新联系 我们刚刚投入的 事实上下周正式启动
167.with a wonderful commission from the Architectural League.
来自建筑联合会的邀请。
168.You may not have known that you need to communicate with fish, but there is now a device for you to do so.
你可能不知道你需要和鱼类交流 但现在有这样的装置可以帮助你这么做。
169.It looks like this: buoys that float on the water, project three foot up, three foot down.
它看起来像这样:漂在水面上的浮标 上面突出三英尺,下面三英尺。
170.When a fish swims underneath, a light goes on.
当有鱼在下面游过时,一盏灯就亮了,
171.This is what it looks like.
就像这样。
172.So there’s another function on here.
这里还有另一个功能。
173.This top light is — I’m sorry if I’m making you seasick — this top light is actually a water quality display that shifts from red, when the dissolved oxygen is low,
这个顶灯是——不好意思我可能让大家晕船了 这个顶灯事实上是一个水质测量显示装置。 当溶解氧浓度低的时候,它是红色的;
174.to a blue/green, when its dissolved oxygen is high.
当溶解氧浓度高时,颜色会变成蓝绿色。
175.And then you can also text the fish.
然后,你也可以给鱼传递信息。
176.So there’s business cards down there that’ll give you contact details.
下面那里有名片 会给你联系的细节内容。
177.And they text back.
它们会反馈给你信息。
178.When the buoys get your text, they wink at you twice to say, we’ve got your message.
当浮标得到你的信息后,它们会闪烁两次,表示已经获取信息。
179.But perhaps the most popular has been that we’ve got another array of these boys in the Bronx River, where the first beaver — crazy as he is —
不过或许最受欢迎的是 我们在布朗克斯河有另外一系列浮标, 在这里,第一只海狸 他很疯狂
180.to have moved in and built a lodge in New York in 250 years, hangs out.
来到纽约,建了住的地方 在250年前,闲逛。
181.So updates from a beaver.
从一只海狸数据更新。
182.You can subscribe to updates from him. You can talk to him.
你也可以报名从他那里更新,你可以和他交谈。
183.And what I like to think of is this is an interface that re-scripts how we interact with natural systems, specifically by changing who has information,
我认为的是 这是一个界面 重新书写我们与自然系统的互动方式, 尤其是改变了谁有信息
184.where they have it, who can make sense of that information, and what you can do about it.
他们把它存在何处, 谁能利用这些信息, 你又能做些什么。
185.In this case, instead of throwing chewing gum, or Doritos or whatever you have in your pocket at the fish — There’s a body of water in Iceland that I’ve been dealing with
在这种情况下,不是将你的口香糖 或是奇多圈,不论什么在你口袋里的,扔给鱼儿们。 我曾经处理过在冰岛
186.that’s in the middle of the city, and the largest pollution burden on it is not the roadborne pollution, it’s actually white bread from people feeding the fish and the birds.
城市中央的一块水域, 对于它来说,最大的污染压力 并非由马路产生的污染, 而事实上却是白面包 那些人们用来喂鱼和鸟的。
187.Instead of doing that actually, we’ve developed some fish sticks that you can feed the fish.
我们开发了一些鱼食来代替那些东西 人们可以使用它们喂鱼。
188.They’re delicious.
味道很好。
189.They’re cross-species delicious that is, delicious for humans and non-humans.
而且它们可以供很多跨物种食用, 对人类和非人类来说都很美味。
190.But they also have a chelating agent in them.
同时它们含有螯合剂。
191.They’re nutritionally appropriate, not like Doritos.
从营养学上来说很适合 而不像奇多圈。
192.And so every time that desire to interact with the animals, which is at least as ubiquitous as that sign: “Do not feed the animals.”
所以每次 当你想与动物们互动的时候, 到处都有这样的标语 “请勿给动物喂食。”
193.And there’s about three of them on every New York City park.
在纽约的每个城市公园里大约都有三个这样的标语。
194.And Yellowstone National Park, there’s more “do not feed the animals” signs than there are animals you might wish to feed.
在黄石公园 “请勿喂食”的标语 比你想要喂食的动物还要多。
195.But in that action, that interaction, by re-scripting that, by changing it into an opportunity to offer food that is nutritionally appropriate,
但这样的行为 将被重新改写, 把它作为一种机会 提供一些营养的食物的机会,
196.that could augment the nutritional resources that we ourselves have depleted for augmenting the fish population and also adding chelating agent,
这样可以提高 我们所浪费的营养资源 从而增加鱼类种群数量 同时增多螯合剂,
197.which, like any chelating agent that we use medicinally, binds to the bioaccumulated heavy metals and PCBs that are in the fish living in this particular habitat
就像我们的药用的螯合剂, 它抑制生物累积的重金属以及多氯联苯 它们附着在 这个特定区域生活的鱼身上,
198.and allows them to pass it out as a harmless salt where it’s complexed by a reactive, effectively removing it from bioavailability.
使它们能把它作为无害的盐类排出。 在反应上很复杂, 但在生物有效性上,排除它非常有效。
199.But I wanted to say that interaction, re-scripting that interaction, into collective action, collective remediative action, very different from the approach
但我想说那样的互动 重新改写的互动 变成一种集体行为,集体的重新调节的行为, 与此方法很不一样的是
200.that’s being used on the other side on the Hudson River, where we’re dredging the PCBs — after 30 years of legislative and legal struggle,
我们在哈得孙河所使用的方法, 我们在那里挖掘出多氯联苯 经过了三十年的立法上的斗争,
201.GE’s paying for the dredging of the largest Superfund site in the world — we’re dredging it, and it’ll probably get shipped off to Pennsylvania
通用电气为挖掘买单 这个世界上最大的超级基金。 我们把它挖掘出来,很可能已经被运出宾夕法尼亚了,
202.or the nearest Third World country, where it will continue to be toxic sludge.
到了附近的第三世界的国家中去, 在那里它们仍然是有毒的淤泥。
203.Displacement is not the way to deal with environmental issues.
转移不是解决环境问题的方法。
204.And that’s typically the paradigm under which we’ve operated.
而这正是 我们正在使用的典型模式。
205.By actually taking the opportunity that new technologies, new interactive technologies, present to re-script our interactions, to script them,
应该实际地抓住机会 使用新技术, 新的互动技术, 当前改写我们互动的方法, 改写它们
206.not just as isolated, individuated interactions, but as collective aggregating actions that can amount to something, we can really begin to address
并非孤立的,个体的互动; 而是集体的,凝聚的, 那种可以累积的互动行动, 我们可以真正的开始处理
207.some of our important environmental challenges.
一些重要的环境挑战。
208.Thank you.
谢谢大家。
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧