MikeRowe_工作万岁 – 无分贵贱【中英文对照】

1.The Dirty Jobs crew and I were called to a little town in Colorado, called Craig.
“干尽苦差事”的工作人员和我前往 科罗拉多州叫做”Craig“的这个小镇
2.It’s only a couple dozen square miles, it’s in the Rockies.
它大概只有24平方英里,在落基山脉
3.And the job in question was sheep rancher.
那天所要体验的工作是“牧羊工人”
4.My role on the show, for those of you who haven’t seen it — it’s pretty simple.
对那些还没看过节目的人,我的角色很简单
5.I’m an apprentice, and I work with the people who actually do the jobs in question.
在那些从事这些工作的人身边做个学徒
6.And my responsibilities are to simply try and keep up and give an honest account of what it’s like to be these people, for one day in their life.
做他们所做的 让人们了解这些人的工作和生活是什么样子的 经历他们一天的生活
7.Job in question — herding sheep. Great.
今天的工作是 – 牧羊。很好。
8.We go to Craig and we check in to a hotel and I realize the next day that castration is going to be an absolute part of this work.
我们到了这个地方,住进我们的旅馆 我才发现,阉割 是明天工作中不可或缺的一部分
9.So, normally, I never do any research at all.
平时,我从来不会做任何准备
10.But, this is a touchy subject, and I work for the Discovery Channel, and we want to portray accurately whatever it is we do, and we certainly want to do it with a lot of respect for the animals.
但因为这是个敏感的问题,我又为探索频道工作 无论如何,我们都要力求真实 在一种尊重动物的前提下
11.So I called the Humane Society and I say “Look, I’m going to be castrating some lambs, Can you tell me the deal?”
我打电话给一个关注动物权利的机构 我说“我要阉割一些羊, 你能告诉我那是怎么回事吗?”
12.And they’re like, “Yeah, it’s pretty straightforward.”
他们说“其实很容易。”
13.They use a band — basically a rubber band, like this, only a little smaller.
他们用一个圈 – 通常是一个橡皮圈,只是小一点
14.This one was actually around the playing cards I got yesterday, but it had a certain familiarity to it.
我手上这个其实来自昨日我拿到的一些扑克牌…… 但它让我有种似曾相识的感觉。
15.And I said, “Well, what exactly is the process?”
然后我说“所以,这过程到底是怎么回事?”
16.And they said, “The band is applied to the tail, tightly.
他们回答“先紧紧圈住尾巴,
17.And then another band is applied to the scrotum, tightly.
另外一个紧紧圈住阴囊
18.Blood flow is slowly retarded, a week later the parts in question fall off. ”
血液慢慢不流通 一个礼拜以后,就会自动掉下来了。”
19.”Great! Got it”
“好耶!我懂了”
20.OK, I call the SPCA to confirm this — they confirm it.
我打给防止虐待動物協會核对一下 – 他们证实了
21.I also call PETA, just for fun, and they don’t like it, but they confirm it.
我玩笑性的打给善待動物組織 – 他们不喜欢,但他们也证实了
22.OK, that’s basically how you do it.
简单来说,这就是大家公认的方法
23.So the next day I go out.
隔天我出门工作
24.And I’m given a horse and we go get the lambs and we take them to a pen that we built, and we go about the business of animal husbandry.
他们给了我一匹马 然后我们带羊去我们盖的畜栏 开始动手做些畜牧的事
25.Melanie is the wife of Albert.
梅洛妮是亚伯特的妻子
26.Albert is the shepherd in question.
亚伯特是今天的主角 – 牧羊人
27.Melanie picks up the lamb — two hands — one hand on both legs on the right, likewise on the left.
梅洛妮抱起羊 – 用她的双手 左手抓住两腿,右腿也是
28.Lamb goes on the post, she opens it up.
羊到了指定的地方,她把腿拉开
29.Alright. Great.
没问题。很好。
30.Albert goes in, I follow Albert, the crew is around.
亚伯特来了,我跟着他,摄影团队在旁边
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件]   更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
31.I always watch the process done the first time before I try it.
在我亲自动手做之前,我总是先看流程
32.Being an apprentice, you know, you do that.
就像学徒该做的那样
33.Albert reaches in his pocket to pull out, you know, this black rubber band but what comes out instead is a knife.
亚伯特把手伸进他口袋,然后拿出,黑色的橡皮筋 结果他拿出的竟然是一把刀
34.And I’m like that’s not rubber at all, you know.
我说:这可不是橡皮筋哪,大爷!
35.And he kind of flicked it open in a way that caught the sun that was just coming over the Rockies, it was very — it was, it was impressive.
他把刀一下甩开,阳光从落基山上照过来 反射出一阵刀光,那实在是 实在令人难忘
36.In the space of about two seconds, Albert had the knife between the cartilage of the tail, right next to the butt of the lamb, and very quickly the tail was gone and in the bucket that I was holding.
差不多在两秒钟的时间里,亚伯特拿着刀 在软骨和尾巴间,就在羊屁股的旁边 很快地,刀起尾落,尾巴已经掉在我手上的桶里了
37.A second later with a big thumb and a well calloused forefinger, he had the scrotum, firmly in his grasp, and he pulled it toward him, like so,
一秒后,在他的大拇指和变硬的食指间 他紧抓着羊阴囊 他把它拉到自己眼前
38.and he took the knife and he put it on the tip.
把刀抵在那尖端
39.Now you had think you know what’s coming Michael, you don’t, OK.
你以为你知道事情会怎样,麦克,你根本无法想象
40.He snips it, throws the tip over his shoulder, and then grabs the scrotum and pushes it upward, and then his head dips down, obscuring my view,
他割断它,把那尖端扔到肩膀后 抓住那阴囊往上推 然后他低下头,挡住我的视线
41.but what I hear is a slurping sound, and a noise that sounds like velcro being yanked off a sticky wall and I am not even kidding.
我只能听到一种稀里呼噜的声音 像从粘糊糊的墙上撕下巨大胶带 我可是说真的
42.Can we roll the video?
不然我们来看看画面吧?
43.No I’m kidding — we don’t — (Laughter) I thought it best to talk in pictures.
还是算了,我是开玩笑的 (笑声) 我想还是靠我会声会影的叙述就够了
44.So, I do something now I’ve never ever done on a Dirty Jobs shoot, ever.
在那个时候,我做了一件我在节目上从来没有做过的事,史无前例
45.I say, “Time out. Stop.”
我说“等等,暂停”
46.You guys know the show, we use take one, we don’t do take two.
看过节目的你们知道,我们通常一镜到底,没有暂停
47.There’s no writing, there’s no scripting, there’s no nonsense.
没有本子,没有安排,没有做戏
48.We don’t fool around, we don’t rehearse, we shoot what we get!
我们不做假,也不排练 拍了就完了!
49.I said, “Stop. This is nuts.
我说,“听。这太疯狂了。
50.I mean, you know — (Laughter) This is crazy.
我说,拜托 – (笑声) 这真的太疯狂了。
51.We can’t do this.
我们不能这样。
52.And Albert’s like, “What?”
亚伯特觉得很奇怪,问”怎么了?“
53.And I’m like, “I don’t know what just happened, but there are testicles in this bucket and that’s not how we do it.”
我回”我不知道刚刚发生什么事, 但现在有些睾丸在桶子里,但我觉得不应该是这样。“
54.And he said “Well, that’s how we do it.”
他说”但是我们都是这么做的。“
55.And I said, “Why would you do it this way?”
我说”你为什么会这样做?“
56.And before I even let him explain, I said, “I want to do it the right way, with the rubber bands.”
在他开口解释前 我说”我想用正确的方法,用橡皮筋。“
57.And he says, “Like the Humane Society?”
他说”像那些动物保护人士吗?“
58.And I said, “Yes, like the Humane Society.
我说”对,像那些动物保护人士。“
59.Let’s do something that doesn’t make the lamb squeal and bleed — we’re on in five continents, dude.
用一种羊不会尖叫流血的方法 – 这可是要在五大洲播放的,大爷!
60.We’re on twice a day on the Discovery Channel — we can’t do this.”
我们一天在探索频道播两次啊!我们不能这样做。”
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件]   更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
61.He says, “OK.”
他说,“那好吧。”
62.He goes to his box and he pulls out a bag of these little rubber bands.
他走到盒子面前,然后拿出一袋小小的橡皮筋
63.Melanie picks up another lamb, puts it on the post, band goes on the tail, band goes on the scrotum.
梅洛妮挑了另一头羊,把它压在柱子上 把橡皮筋圈在尾巴,橡皮筋圈在阴囊
64.Lamb goes on the ground, lamb takes two steps, falls down, gets up, shakes a little, takes another couple steps, falls down.
羊回到地上,它走了两步,跌倒了 爬起来,抖了抖 再试着走了两步,再跌倒
65.I’m like, this is not a good sign for this lamb, at all.
我想,这羊看起来一点都不好,一点也不
66.Gets up, walks to the corner, it’s quivering, and it lies down and it’s in obvious distress.
它站起来,走到角落去,浑身发抖 它躺下,看起来万分痛苦
67.And I’m looking at the lamb and I say, “Albert, how long?
我看着羊,我问“亚伯特,它会这样多久?
68.When does he get up?”
它何时才站得起来?”
69.He’s like, “A day.”
他回答“一天。“
70.I said “A day! How long does it take them to fall off?”
我说”一天!!这些东西多久才会掉下来?“
71.”A week.”
“一个礼拜。”
72.Meanwhile, the lamb that he had just did his little procedure on is, you know, he’s just prancing around, bleeding stopped.
这个时候,刚刚他动完小手术的那头羊 已经开始四处跳动,血也止住了
73.He’s, you know, nibbling on some grass, frolicking.
它开始吃草,嬉戏
74.And I was just so blown away at how wrong I was, in that second.
我完全傻了。我无法相信 我有多么大错特错,那当下
75.And I was reminded how utterly wrong I am, so much of the time.
同时我也想到,有多少时候,我错的更厉害
76.(Laughter) And I was especially reminded of what an ridiculously short straw I had that day because now I had to do what Albert had just done,
(笑声) 尤其是,我突然想到我那天是多么倒霉 因为现在我得去做亚伯特刚才完成的事
77.and there are like 100 of these lambs in the pen, and suddenly this whole thing’s starting to feel like a German porno, and I’m like …
畜栏里大概有一百多只羊 突然这整件事就像德国色情电影…… 我有点……
78.Melanie picks up the lamb, puts it on the post, opens it up.
梅洛妮挑出一只羊 把它压在柱子上,拉开双腿
79.Albert hands me the knife.
亚伯特把刀交给我
80.I go in, tail comes off.
我下刀,尾巴掉了下来
81.I go in, I grab the scrotum, tip comes off.
我继续,我抓着阴囊,尖端掉了下了
82.Albert instructs, “Push it way up there.”
亚伯特指导着,”把它推上去“
83.I do.
我推了。
84.”Push it further.”
”推远点。“
85.I do.
我这么做了。
86.The testicles emerge, they look like thumbs, coming right at you.
看起来像大拇指的睾丸在你眼前出现,正对着你
87.And he says, “Bite ’em.
他说”咬它们
88.Just bite ’em off.”
把它们咬下来。”
89.And I heard him, I heard all the words.
我听到他这么说,我听的再清楚不过了
90.(Laughter) Like, how did — how did I get here?
(笑声) 我想,我是 – 我是怎么来到这里的?!
91.How did — you know — I mean — how did I get here?
我是 – 你知道 – 我是说 我究竟是怎么来到这步田地的?
92.(Laughter) It’s just — it’s one of those moments where the brain goes off on it’s own and suddenly, I’m standing there, in the Rockies,
(笑声) 这就是那种,脑子开始不受控制,神游太虚的时候 我站在落基山脉中
93.and all I can think of is the Aristotelian definition of a tragedy.
唯一能想到的是亚里士多德对悲剧的定义
94.You know, Aristotle says a tragedy is that moment when the hero comes face to face with his own identity.
亚里士多德说,悲剧 就发生在英雄和自己的真我面对面的时候。
95.(Laughter) And I’m like, “What is this jacked-up metaphor?
(笑声) 我想“这是哪门子乱七八糟的隐喻?
96.I don’t like what I’m thinking right now.”
我讨厌我现在这些想法。“
97.And I can’t get this thought out of my head, and I can’t get that vision out of my sight, so I did what I had to do.
但我无法摆脱脑中这个想法 也无法摆脱我眼前这个景象 我只有做我当做的
98.I went in and I took them.
我杀进去,拿下它们
99.I took them like this, and I yanked my face back.
我这样拿下它们 然后狠狠地把脸甩开
100.And I’m standing there with two testicles on my chin.
我就站在那里 脸上挂着两个羊睾丸
101.(Laughter) And now I can’t get — I can’t shake the metaphor.
(笑声) 我就是无法 – 我无法甩开那个隐喻
102.OK, I’m still in poetics, in Aristotle, and I’m thinking — out of nowhere, two terms come crashing into my head that I haven’t heard since my classics professor in college drilled them there.
我还在想亚里士多德,想他那本”诗论“ 我在想,突然,两个辞就这样灵光一现 两个我从大学后就再没有听过,被古典学教授凿在脑中的字
103.And they are anagnorisis and peripeteia.
它们是 anagnorisis 和 peripeteia
104.Anagnorisis and peripeteia.
anagnorisis 和 peripeteia
105.Anagnorisis is the Greek word for discovery.
Anagnorisis 是希腊文里的”发现“
106.Literally, the transition from ignorance to knowledge is anagnorisis, what our network does, it’s what Dirty Jobs is.
字义上,从无知到有知的过程,就是 Anagnorisis 也就是探索频道所做的 也就是“干尽苦差事”所在做的
107.And I’m up to my neck in anagnorises every single day.
这些发现每天都堆到了我的脖子这么高
108.Great.
很好。
109.The other word, peripeteia, that’s the moment in the great tragedies, you know — Euripides and Sophocles — the moment where Oedipus has his moment,
另外一个字,peripeteia 则是在大悲剧中的那一刻,你知道 欧里庇得斯和索福克勒斯 在<俄狄甫斯王>剧里
110.where he suddenly realizes that hot chick he’s been sleeping with and having babies with is his mother. OK.
他突然意识到那位美女 他同床共枕和生儿育女的 – 是他亲娘。很好。
111.That’s peripety or peripeteia.
这就是转折 或是 peripeteia
112.And this metaphor in my head — I got anagnorisis and peripetia on my chin.
我脑中的这个隐喻 在我腮旁的”发现“和”转折“
113.(Laughter) I got to tell you, it’s such a great device though.
(笑声) 但我必须说,这真是很好的词句
114.When you start to look for peripetia, you find it everywhere.
但你开始找寻”转折“ 它们随处可见
115.I mean, Bruce Willis in “The Sixth Sense,” right?
像布鲁斯·威利斯在”灵异第六感“中
116.Spends the whole movie trying to help the little kid who sees dead people, and then, boom — oh, I’m dead — peripetia.
整部电影都在帮助这个有阴阳眼的小孩 然后,砰!原来我死了 – 转折
117.You know?
你知道吧?
118.It’s crushing when the audience sees it the right way.
在那一瞬间,所有观众都看明白了
119.Neo in “The Matrix,” you know?
像“黑客帝国”中的尼欧
120.Oh, I’m living in a computer program — that’s weird.
哦,我竟然住在计算机程序里,那真怪
121.These discoveries that lead to sudden realizations.
这些发现都让我意识到一些事实
122.And I’ve been having them, over 200 dirty jobs, I have them all the time, but that one — that one drilled something home in a way that I just wasn’t prepared for.
我已经做了,大概两百个苦差事,我一天到晚都意识到一些新东西 但这一项 – 这项惊心动魄,在我丝毫没有思考准备的时候
123.And, as I stood there, looking at the happy lamb that I had just defiled — but it looked OK.
正在我站在那里的时候 看着那只开心的羊,我刚处理过的 它看起来还不错
124.Looking at that poor other little thing that I’d done it the right way on, and I just was struck by if I’m wrong about that and if I’m wrong so often, in a literal way,
再看看另一只可怜的小东西,我本来可以正确处理的, 我突然想到 如果我在这件事上犯错 如果我这样常犯错,实际地说
125.what other peripatetic misconceptions might I be able to comment upon?
我还能对其他那些错误观念说什么呢?
126.Because, look, I’m not a social anthropologist but I have a friend who is.
因为,虽然我不是个社会人类学家 但我有个朋友是
127.And I talk to him.
我和他聊
128.(Laughter) And he says, “Hey Mike.
(笑声) 他说“嘿麦克
129.Look, I don’t know if your brain is interested in this sort of thing or not, but do you realize you’ve shot in every state?
我不知道你的脑子对这种事情有没有兴趣 但 你有意识到你已经踏遍每一州了吗?
130.You’ve worked in mining, you’ve worked in fishing, you’ve worked in steel, you’ve worked in every major industry.
你在矿场里干过,你在渔业里干过 你干过铁工,你几乎在所有主要的行业里都干过
131.You’ve had your back shoulder to shoulder with these guys that our politicians are desperate to relate to every four years, right?”
你和这些家伙们并肩共事 像那些政治人物们每四年就要来一下的那个样子嘛,对吧?“
132.I can still see Hillary doing the shots of rye, dribbling down her chin, with the steel workers.
我仿佛还看到希拉里和铁工们 豪爽地喝着啤酒,从她下颚流下
133.I mean, these are the people that I work with every single day.
这些人可是我每天在一起共事的人
134.And if you have something to say about their thoughts, collectively, it might be time to think about it.
如果你想为他们喉舌,把他们当成一个群体来说些什么 现在是你好后想想的时候了
135.Because, dude, you know, four years.
因为,你知道,这四年
136.You know, that’s in my head, testicles are on my chin, thoughts are bouncing around.
在我脑子里,腮旁挂着睾丸 脑中的想法晃荡着
137.And, after that shoot, Dirty Jobs really didn’t change, in terms of what the show is, but it changed for me, personally.
在那次拍摄后,”干尽苦差事“基本上没有改变 这个节目没有改变 但对我来说它改变了,我改变了
138.And now, when I talk about the show, I no longer just tell the story you heard and 190 like it.
现在,当我谈到这个节目 我不会再说那些人人认同的故事
139.I do, but I also start to talk about some of the other things I got wrong, some of the other notions of work that I’ve just been assuming are sacrosanct,
我仍然会,但我开始谈论其他那些我曾经误解的事 其他那些对工作的想法 那些我曾经以为是神圣不可侵犯的
140.and they’re not.
却不是的
141.People with dirty jobs are happier than you think.
做这些工作的人比你想象的快乐很多
142.As a group, they’re the happiest people I know.
就一个群体来说,他们是我见过最快乐的人
143.And I don’t want to start whistling “Look for the Union Label,”
我可不是要开始吹起口哨,唱起”咱们工人有力量,”
144.and all that happy worker crap.
或是其他那些歌颂快乐工人的狗屁
145.I’m just telling you that these are balanced people who do unthinkable work.
我只是想说,这是一群和谐的人们,做着难以想象的工作
146.Roadkill picker-uppers whistle while they work, I swear to God, I did it with them.
我发誓,那些路边捡尸块的工人们一边工作一边吹口哨 我和他们在一起
147.They’ve got this amazing sort of symmetry to their life.
他们的人生中有一种不可思议的平衡
148.and I see it over and over and over again.
这是我一次又一次亲眼所见的
149.So I started to wonder what would happen if we challenged some of these sacred cows.
我开始想象如果我们开始挑战 那些我们奉为绝对真理的
150.Follow your passion — we’ve been talking about it here for the last 36 hours.
追寻你的热情 – 我们过去36个小时在这里一直谈论到的
151.Follow your passion — what could possibly be wrong with that?
追寻热情 – 这有什么问题?
152.Probably the worst advice I ever got.
大概是我听过最烂的建议
153.(Laughter) You know, follow your dreams and go broke, right?
(笑声) 追求梦想然后破产,对吧?
154.I mean, that’s all I heard growing up.
这些都是我们如雷贯耳的话
155.I didn’t know what to do with my life, but I was told if you follow your passion, it’s going to work out.
我不知道我该做什么 但别人总是告诉我,追寻你的热情,一切都会顺利的
156.I can give you 30 examples, right now — Bob Combs, the pig farmer in Las Vegas who collects the uneaten scraps of food from the casinos
我现在可以马上给你三十个例子 Bob Combs,拉斯维加斯的养猪户 他从赌场里收集那些剩菜
157.and feeds them them to his swine.
然后把它们拿去喂猪
158.Why? Because there’s so much protein in the stuff we don’t eat his pigs grow at twice the normal speed, and he is one rich pig farmer,
为什么?因为在我们剩余的食物里有太多蛋白质 他的猪以两倍的速度成长 他是个富有的猪农
159.and he is good for the environment, and he spends his days doing this incredible service, and he smells like hell, but God bless him.
而且对环境有益 他的所有时间都贡献在这项了不起的服务上 他闻起来真糟,但愿神祝福他
160.He’s making a great living.
他过着很舒服的生活
161.You ask him, “Did you follow your passion here?”
如果你问他“你在这里追寻你的热情吗?”
162.and he’d laugh at you.
他会对你大笑。
163.The guy’s worth — he just got offered like 60 million dollars for his farm and turned it down, outside of Vegas.
他的身价有 – 有人想用六千万美金买下 他在拉斯维加斯外围的农场,他拒绝了。
164.He didn’t follow his passion.
他没有追寻他的热情
165.He stepped back and he watched where everybody was going and he went the other way.
他退一步,看着大家都朝哪个方向去 然后去了另一个方向
166.And I hear that story over and over.
这就是我一直反复听见的故事。
167.Matt Froind, a dairy farmer in New Canaan, Connecticut, who woke up one day and realized the crap from his cows was worth more than their milk,
Matt Froind,一个康涅狄格州的奶农 一天醒来,突然意识到他的牛产出的牛粪 比他们产出的牛奶值钱多了
168.if he could use it to make these biodegradable flower pots.
如果他能把它们做成生物所能分解的花盆
169.Now, he’s selling them to Walmart.
现在,他和沃尔玛做生意
170.Follow his passion — the guy’s — come on.
跟随他的热情 – 拜托
171.So I started to look at passion, I started to look at efficiency versus effectiveness, as Tim talked about earlier, that’s a huge distinction.
我开始仔细思考热情 我开始思考效率和效果 如同 Tim 先前提到的,它们有很大的分别
172.I started to look at teamwork and determination, and basically all those platitudes they call successories that hang with that schmaltzy art in boardrooms around the world right now.
我开始思考团体合作和决心 那些有关成功的陈腔滥调 和那些矫情的艺术一起挂在全世界的会议室的东西
173.That stuff — it’s suddenly all been turned on its head.
那些玩意儿 – 突然有点被冲昏头了
174.Safety — safety first is me going back to, you know, OSHA and PETA and the Humane Society.
安全 – 安全第一 那些,职业安全与卫生署、善待动物组织,和动物权益组织
175.What if OSHA got it wrong?
如果职业安全与卫生署错了呢?
176.I mean, this is heresy, what I’m about to say, but what if it’s really safety third?
我说的这完全是邪魔外道,当然 但如果不是安全第一,是安全第三呢?
177.Right?
不是吗?
178.(Laughter) No, I mean really.
(笑声) 我说真的
179.What I mean to say is I value my safety on these crazy jobs as much as the people that I’m working with, but the ones who really get it done,
我要说的是,做这些疯狂的工作时,我当然注重安全 如同和我共事的那些人一样 但是那些真正完成事情的人
180.they’re not out there talking about safety first.
他们不会在外面说:安全第一
181.They know that other things come first — the business of doing the work comes first, the business of getting it done.
他们知道还有其他更重要的 ”把工作做好“最重要 把工作完成。
182.And I’ll never forget, up in the Bering Sea, I was on a crab boat with the deadliest catch guys, which I also work on in the first season.
我永远不会忘记,在白令海那次,我在一部螃蟹船上 和我第一季节目中共事过的一群致命勇士
183.We’re about 100 miles off the coast of Russia 50 foot seas, big waves, green water coming over the wheelhouse, right?
我们在俄罗斯海湾外一百英里处 海深五十英尺,巨浪滔滔,绿水泼近舵手室
184.Most hazardous environment I’d ever seen, and I was back with a guy, lashing the pots down.
我见过最危险的工作环境 我和一个哥们儿在一起,把桶子挂下去
185.So, I’m 40 feet off the deck, which is like looking down at the top of your shoe, you know, and it’s doing this in the ocean.
我离甲板40尺远 感觉就像盯着自己的鞋尖 然后,就这样在海上乱转
186.Unspeakably dangerous.
很难形容的危险状态
187.I scamper down, I go into the wheelhouse and I say, with some level of incredulity, “Captain, OSHA.”
我匆忙逃下,跑进舵手室 我喊,带着怀疑 ”船长!职业安全条例!“
188.And he says, “OSHA? — ocean.”
他回答”职业安全?看看海底!“
189.And he points out there.
然后他把手往外一指
190.(Laughter) But in that moment, what he said next can’t be repeated in the lower 48.
(笑声) 那一刻,接下来他说的话不能在美国本土重复
191.It can’t be repeated on any factory floor or any construction site.
也不能在任何工厂或工地重复
192.But he looked at me, and he said, “Son — he’s my age, by the way, he calls me son, I love that — he says, “Son, I’m a captain of a crab boat.
但他望着我,他说”小伙子 – 他和我同岁,但他叫我小伙子,很好 – 他说“小伙子,我是螃蟹船的船长
193.My responsibility is not to get you home alive.
我的职责不是让你活着回家
194.My responsibility is to get you home rich.”
我的职责是让你发财
195.(Laughter) You want to get home alive, that’s on you.
(笑声) 你想活着回去,那是你的事情
196.And for the rest of that day, safety first.
于是后来,安全第一
197.I was like — So, the idea that we create this false — this sense of complacency when all we do is talk about somebody else’s responsibility
我就像这样 —— 我们创造了这个虚假的 这种自得自满的情绪 我们总是在谈论他人的责任
198.as though it’s our own, and vice versa.
好像那是我们自己的,反之亦然
199.Anyhow, a whole lot of things.
总之,很多很多事
200.I could talk at length about the many little distinctions we made and the endless list of ways that I got it wrong.
我可以滔滔不绝地谈论所有这些我们创造的小区别 还有我那些无止无尽的错误认知
201.But, what it all comes down to is this.
但,最后
202.I formed a theory, and I’m going to share it now in my remaining two minutes and 30 seconds.
我想跟你们分享我的结论 在我剩下的两分三十秒
203.It goes like this — we’ve declared war on work, as a society, all of us.
是这么说的 —— 我们向工作宣战 这个社会,我们所有人
204.It’s a civil war.
一个全民的内战
205.It’s a cold war, really.
或是冷战,事实上
206.We didn’t set out to do it and we didn’t twist our mustache in some Machiavellian way, but we’ve done it.
我们没有预备要这么做 也没有像师爷一样,权谋地,马基雅维里式扭着我们的小胡子 但我们这么做了。
207.And we’ve waged this war on at least four fronts, certainly in Hollywood.
我们在四个方向拉开战线 其中绝对有好莱坞
208.The way we portray working people on TV, it’s laughable.
我们在电视上描绘工人的方式 是可笑的
209.If there’s a plumber, he’s 300 pounds and he’s got a giant buttcrack, admit it.
一个水管工人,一定有三百磅重,还有个巨大的股沟,是吧
210.You see him all the time.
你一定有看过这个画面
211.That’s what plumbers look like, right?
那就是水管工的形象,对吗?
212.We turn them into heroes, or we turn them into punchlines.
我们塑造偶像,或是呼喊口号
213.That’s what TV does.
电视的功能就是这样
214.We try hard on Dirty Jobs not to do that, which is why I do the work and I don’t cheat.
在”干尽苦差事“中我们尽量不这么做 这就是我做工不做戏的原因
215.But, we’ve waged this war on Madison Avenue.
我们在麦迪逊大街也拉上了战线
216.I mean, so many of the commercials that come out there — in the way of a message, what’s really being said?
那里制作了这么多的广告 这些广告都透露了什么讯息?
217.Your life would be better if you could work a little less, if you didn’t have to work so hard, if you could get home a little earlier,
你的人生会更美好,如果你少工作一点 如果你不要工作的这么辛苦,如果你可以早些回家
218.if you could retire a little faster, if you could punch out a little sooner, it’s all in there, over and over, again and again.
如果你能提早退休,如果你能提早下班 这就是它们的信息,反反复复播放
219.Washington — I can’t even begin to talk about the deals and policies in place that affect the bottom line reality of the available jobs
华盛顿特区 – 我甚至无法谈论这些协定和法条 它们影响了就业机会的底线
220.because I don’t really know.
因为我真的不了解
221.I just know that that’s a front in this war.
我只知道这个战争有个前线
222.And right here guys, Silicon Valley I mean, how many people have an iPhone on them right now?
还有这里,硅谷 现在多少人手上拿着 iPhone?
223.How many people have their Blackberries?
多少人带着他们的黑莓机?
224.We’re plugged in, we’re connected.
我们在线,联结着
225.I would never suggest for a second that something bad has come out of the tech revolution.
我永远不会说 科技革命为我们带来任何不好的影响
226.Good grief, not to this crowd.
要命,至少不是跟这群观众
227.(Laughter) But I would suggest that innovation without imitation is a complete waste of time.
(笑声) 但我必须说,非经复制的创新 完全就是浪费时间
228.And nobody celebrates imitation the way Dirty Jobs guys know it has to be done.
没有人比”干尽苦差事“的工作人员 更懂得复制的艺术。
229.Your iPhone without those people making the same interface, the same circuitry, the same board, over and over.
你的 iPhone 如果没有这些人反复地做面板 做线路、配电盘,反反复复
230.All that — that’s what makes it equally as possible as the genius that goes inside of it.
这些工作 — 它们为这件物品花费的心力 等同于那些设计这些产品的聪明才智
231.So, we’ve got this new toolbox, you know.
今日我们有个新的工具箱
232.Our tools today don’t look like shovels and picks.
我们的工具不再是镐和铲子
233.They look like the stuff we walk around with.
它们看起来就像我们每天带着走的这些物件
234.And so the collective effect of all of that has been this marginalization of lots and lots of jobs.
这些东西的集体效应 便是边缘化许多许多的工作
235.And I realized, probably too late in this game — I hope not, because I don’t know if I can do 200 more of these things, but we’re going to do as many as we can.
我意识到,虽然可能有点迟 我但愿不要,因为我不知道我还能不能完成另外两百个苦差事 但我们会尽力去做到我们所能做的
236.And to me the most important thing to know and to really come face to face with, is that fact that I got it wrong about a lot of things,
对我来说,最重要的事情是 便是面对真实 我的错误认知和观点
237.not just the testicles on my chin.
不只是腮边的睾丸而已
238.I got a lot wrong.
我弄错了很多事
239.So, we’re thinking — by we, I mean me — that the thing to do is to talk about a PR campaign for work, manual labor, skilled labor.
我们在想 – 我是说我在想 应该为工作做一个盛大的公关活动 手工、技工
240.Somebody needs to be out there talking about the forgotten benfits I’m talking about grandfather stuff.
有人需要到处去 传讲这些被遗忘的好处 我说的是那些祖父级的东西
241.The stuff a lot us probably grew up with but we’ve kind of — you know, kind of lost a little.
那些和我们一起长大的东西 但我们已经有些 – 你知道,迷失了 一些
242.Barack wants to create two and a half million jobs.
欧巴马要创造两百五十万个工作机会
243.The infrastructure is a huge deal.
基础建设是重点之一
244.This war on work, that I suppose exists, has casualties like any other war.
这场对工作的战争,也有伤兵 像所有战争一样
245.The infrastructure’s the first one Declining trade school enrollments are the second one.
基础建设就是一项 专业学校的注册率下降是第二项
246.Every single year, fewer electricians, fewer carpenters, fewer plumbers, fewer welders, fewer pipefitters, fewer steamfitters.
每一年,电工减少了 木工减少了,水管工人减少了 焊接工减少了,管道安装的技工减少了 蒸汽管道工减少了
247.The infrastructure jobs that everybody is talking about creating are those guys.
每个人口里说的那些基础建设的工作 就是这些人
248.The ones that have been in decline, over and over.
这些逐渐在减少的人,一年又一年
249.In the meanwhile, we got two trillion dollars, at a minimum, according to the American Society of Civil Engineers, that we need to expend to even make a dent in the infrastructure
按照美国土木工程协会的估计 现在,我们最少需要扩张两万亿美金 如果我们想要在基础建设上有点初步进展的话
250.which is currently rated at a D minus.
现在还是 D- 级别
251.So, if I were running for anything, and I’m not, I would simply say that the jobs we hope to make and the jobs we hope to create aren’t going to stick unless they’re jobs that people want.
如果我要为什么东西喉舌的话,但我不是 我会简单的说那些我们想要制造的工作机会 我们想要成就的工作 除非它们是人们想要的工作,不然是不可能达到的
252.And I know the point of this conference is to celebrate things that are near and dear to us, but I also know that clean and dirty aren’t opposites.
我知道这次座谈的重点 是颂赞这些接近我们亲近我们的 但我也知道清洁和肮脏不全然是相对的
253.They’re two sides of the same coin, just like innovation and imitation, like risk and responsibility, like peripetia and anagnorisis,
它们是一个铜板的两面 就像革新和复制 风险和责任 像转折和发现
254.like that poor little lamb, who I hope isn’t quivering anymore, and like my time that’s gone.
像那可怜的小羊,我希望它不再浑身发抖了 像我的时间到了
255.It’s been great talking to you and get back to work, will you?
很高兴和你们谈话 回去干活儿吧,行吗?

ted演讲稿中英文对照

MihalyCsikszentmihalyi_谈流动【中英文对照】

2024-4-16 10:07:10

ted演讲稿中英文对照

MiltonGlaser_设计里出新思路【中英文对照】

2024-4-17 10:12:46

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索