1.This is a work in process based on some comments that were made at TED two years ago about the need for the storage of vaccine.
这项工作目前还在进行中 主要是基于先前的一些意见 两年前在TED所提出的 关于疫苗的储藏问题
2.(Music) [ On this planet ] [ 1.6 billion people ] [ don’t have access to electricity ] [ refrigeration ] [ or stored fuels ] [ this is a problem ]
(音乐)
3.[ it impacts: ] [ the spread of disease ] [ the storage of food and medicine ] [ and the quality of life ] [ so here’s the plan: inexpensive refrigeration that doesn’t use electricity … ]
4.[ … propane, gas, kerosene or consumables ] [ time for some thermodynamics ] [ And the story of the Intermittent Absorption Refrigerator ]
5.So 29 years ago, I had this thermo teacher who talked about absorption and refrigeration.
在29年以前,我有这样一位热能学老师。 他讲过一些关于吸收作用和制冷的相关知识
6.It’s one of those things that stuck in my head.
之后我一直詺记于心中
7.It was a lot like the Stirling Engine: it was cool but you didn’t know what to do with it.
它有些像斯特林发动机 它很厉害但是你不知道它能用在什么地方
8.And it was invented in 1858 by this guy Ferdinand Carre, but he couldn’t actually build anything with it because of the tools of the time.
1858年Ferdinand Carre发明了它 但是他没法制造出来 因为当时的工具条件不允许
9.This crazy Canadian named Powell Crosley commercialized this thing called the Icyball in 1928, and it was a really neat idea, and I’ll get to why it didn’t work,
后来有个疯狂的加拿大人Powell Crosley 在1928年將这个项目商业化,命名為Icyball 这是个绝妙的想法 但我会告诉大家为什么没有成功
10.but here’s how it works.
先解析一下运作原理
11.There’s two spheres and they’re separated in distance.
这里有两个半球体,中间有一定的距离。
12.One has a working fluid, water and ammonia, and the other is a condenser.
一个装有工作介质,含水和氨。 另一个是冷凝器
13.You heat up one side, the hot side.
当你將一侧加热时,热的这一侧
14.The ammonia evaporates and it re-condenses in the other side.
氨开始蒸发 然后它会在另一侧重新凝固
15.You let it cool to room temperature, and then, as the ammonia re-evaporates and combines with the water back on the erstwhile hot side,
之后让它降到室温 当氨重新蒸发时会与水结合 回到先前的热的一侧
16.it creates a powerful cooling effect.
它会产生很强大的制冷效果
17.So it was a great idea that didn’t work at all: it blew up.
这个想法虽然很好,但是不可行:它会炸掉
18.Because using ammonia you get hugely high pressures if you heated them wrong.
因为用氨会产生很大的压力 如果你的加热不当
19.It topped 400 psi. The ammonia was toxic. It sprayed everywhere.
压力会超过每平方寸400磅,有毒的氨会四处飞溅。
20.But it was kind of an interesting thought.
但这个想法很不错。
21.So, the great thing about 2006 is there’s a lot of really great computational work you can do.
所以到了2006年事情有了进展 我们可以用很多数据来计算研究
22.So we got the whole thermodynamics department at Stanford involved.
我们还得到斯坦福大学 热力学系的参与
23.A lot of computational fluid dynamics.
基于大量流体力学的研究计算
24.We proved that most of the ammonia refrigeration tables are wrong.
我们证明了大部分关于氨制冷的数据是错的
25.We found some non-toxic refrigerants that worked at very low-vapor pressures.
我们发现了一些无毒的制冷剂 能於極低蒸汽压下運作
26.Brought in a team from the UK — there’s a lot of great refrigeration people, it turned out, in the UK — and built a test rig, and proved that in fact
这是从英国小组那里带来的—— 他們有很多优秀的冷冻学人才 在英国—— 并建立了一个试验台,并证明了
27.we could make a low pressure, non-toxic refrigerator.
我们可以造出低压力,无毒的制冷器
28.So this is the way it works.
以下是运作原理
29.You put it on a cooking fire.
你可以在煮食炉灶上加热它
30.Most people have cooking fires in the world, whether it’s camel dung or wood.
全世界大部分人都有煮食炉灶吧 无论燃料是骆驼粪便或木材。
31.It heats up for about 30 minutes, cools for an hour.
加热30分钟,之后凉一个小时
32.Put it into a container and it will refrigerate for 24 hours.
把它放入容器中 那么它就可以制冷24个小时
33.It looks like this. This is the fifth prototype. It’s not quite done.
它看上去是这样的,这是第5个样机,还不是太完美。
34.Weighs about eight pounds, and this is the way it works.
重大约8磅,它是这样用的。
35.You put it into a 15-liter vessel, about three gallons, and it’ll cool it down to just above freezing, three degrees above freezing,
把它放入一个15升的容器中,大约三加仑, 它就可以冷却到冰点之上 高于冰点3度
36.for 24 hours in a 30 degree Celsius environment. It’s really cheap.
在30度的环境中保持24小时,而且它很便宜。
37.We think we can build these in high volumes for about 25 dollars, in low volumes for about 40 dollars.
我们可以大批量的制造,价格约25美元。 小批量的价格约40美元。
38.And we think we can make refrigeration something that everybody can have.
我们可以造出 任何人都能拥有的冰箱
39.Thank you.
谢谢