1.I want to help you re-perceive what philanthropy is, what it could be, and what your relationship to it is.
我希望可以帮助大家重新理解什么是慈善 以及慈善可以怎么做 还有是你们可以跟 慈善发生什么关系
2.And in doing that, I want to offer you a vision, an imagined future, if you will, of how, as the poet Seamus Heaney has put it, “Once in a lifetime
为了达到那样的目的,我希望可以给大家带来一个视界 一个想象中的未来 就如诗人Seamus Heaney所说的 “人生中总会有那么一次
3.the longed-for tidal wave of justice can rise up, and hope and history rhyme.”
人们期待已久的正义的浪潮会卷起, 希望与历史也与之呼应。”
4.I want to start with these word pairs here.
我想先是由这些词语的配对开始
5.We all know which side of these we’d like to be on.
我希望大家可以知道我们到底是站在那一边
6.When philanthropy was reinvented a century ago, when the foundation form was actually invented, they didn’t think of themsevles on the wrong side of these either.
一百年前,当人们重新发明慈善的时候 基金会的形式被发明出来了 那时候的人们也不会想到他们是站在了错误的一边。
7.In fact they would never have thought of themselves as closed and set in their ways, as slow to respond to new challenges, as small and risk-averse.
事实上,他们根本也不会想到 那时候的慈善做法是非常封闭、保守 反应迟钝 规模小、并且常常规避风险的
8.And in fact they weren’t. They were reinventing charity in those times.
但事实上那不是。在那个时代,我们的前辈事实上是在重新发明慈善
9.What Rockefeller called “The business of benevolence.”
洛克菲勒称之为“仁慈的事业”
10.But by the end of the twentieth century, a new generation of critics and reformers had come to see philanthropy just this way.
到了20世纪的末期 新一代的批评家以及改革家 就是以这样的方式来看待慈善的
11.The thing to watch for as a global philanthropy industry comes about, and that’s exactly what is happening, is how the aspiration is to flip
而当一个全球性的慈善事业 发展起来之后 ——这恰恰是正在发生的事情 ——我们需要的是重新评估老的法则
12.these old assumptions.
甚至是颠覆以往对慈善的假定。
13.For philanthropy to become open and big and fast and connected, in service of the long term.
要使得慈善成为一个可以长期延续的、开放的 迅速发展、相互关联的体系。
14.This entrepreneurial energy is emerging from many quarters.
这样一种创业的精神 现在正是从各个方面展现出来
15.And it’s driven and propelled forward by new leaders, like many of the people here, by new tools, like the ones we’ve seen here, by new pressures.
很多新的领袖,像这里的很多人正在推进促使它的发展 新的工具,比如我们在这里所看到的这些 新的压力也同样起着推进作用
16.I’ve been following this change for quite a while now, and participating in it.
我很久以前就在跟踪这一动态,并且参与其中。
17.This report is our main public report.
这是我们制作的最主要的公开报告
18.What it tells is the story of how today actually could be as historic as 100 years ago.
它所讲述的就是 为何今天会成为跟100年前同样有历史意义 的故事。
19.What I want to do is share some of the coolest things that are going on with you.
我希望可以与大家分享一些最有趣的故事 这些故事也许就发生在你们的身上
20.And as I do that, I’m not going to dwell much on the very large philanthropy that everybody already knows about, the Gates and the Soros and the Google.
需要指出的是,我不打算谈大的慈善 这里很多人都已经讲过了 那也是盖茨、索罗斯和Google在做的事情
21.Instead, what I want to do is talk about the philanthropy of all of us.
我今天想说的,是我们所有人的 慈善
22.The democratization of philanthropy.
或曰慈善的民主化
23.This is a moment in history when the average person has more power than at any time.
这也是普通人 也能比历史上的人拥有更多力量的时代
24.What I’m going to do is look at five categories of experiments, each of which challenges an old assumption of philanthropy.
我想给大家看看五个方面的实验 他们每一个都挑战着我们对于慈善的传统看法
25.The first is mass collaboration, represented here by Wikipedia.
首先是大规模协作,其代表就是维基百科
26.Now, this may surprise you.
这也许真的会让你感到吃惊
27.But remember, philanthropy is about giving of time and talent, not just money.
但你必须记住,慈善本来就是一种付出时间与精力的行为,而不是金钱
28.Clay Shirky, that great chronicler of everything networked, has captured the assumption that this challenges in such a beautiful way.
Clay Shirky这位著名的网络记录者, 就非常漂亮的记录了时代变化所带来的新契机 写得非常好
29.He said, “We have lived in this world where little things are done for love and big things for money.
他说,我们生活的这个世界 人们为了爱去做小事 为赚钱去做大事
30.Now we have Wikipedia.
而现在,我们有维基百科
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件] 更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
31.Suddenly big things can be done for love.”
突然,我们也可以因为喜爱而成就大事
32.Watch, this spring, for Paul Hawken’s new book.
今年春天,保罗·霍肯出了一本新书
33.Author and entrepreneur many of you may know about.
——相信你们很多人都认识这位作家和企业家
34.The book is called “Blessed Unrest.”
那本书的书名是《看不见的力量》
35.And when it comes out, a series of wiki sites under the label WISER, are going to launch at the same time.
书推出的时候,也推出了系列的基于维基的网站 并且都带有WISER这个标志
36.WISER stands for World Index for Social and Environmental Responsibility.
WISER的意思是 全球社会与环境责任索引
37.WISER sets out to document, link and empower what Paul calls the largest movement and fastest growing movement in human history.
它的使命是记录这一保罗所称的人类历史上最规模大 发展最为迅速的运动 连结他们,为他们带来更大的力量
38.Humanity’s collective immune response to today’s threats.
整个人类作为一个有机体 在协力迎对今天的挑战
39.Now, all of these big things for love experiments aren’t going to take off.
当然,并非上述所讲的这些大的追求 都会轻易成功。
40.But the ones that do are going to be the biggest, the most open, the fastest, the most connected form of philanthropy in human history.
但是,那些最终走向成功的项目 必将成为人类历史上规模最大、最为开放 发展最为迅速以及联系最为广泛 的慈善行动
41.Second category is online philanthropy marketplaces.
第二类是在线的慈善行动
42.This is, of course, to philanthropy what eBay and Amazon are to commerce.
这就如慈善领域的 eBay以及Amazon
43.Think of it as peer-to-peer philanthropy.
或者你可以将其看作是点对点的慈善
44.And this challenges yet another assumption, which is that organized philanthropy is only for the very wealthy.
这又挑战了我们 的另外一个设想 即慈善仅仅是富人才干得起的事情
45.Take a look, if you haven’t, at DonorsChoose.
假如你还不知道,请看看 DonorsChoose 这个网站吧
46.Omidyar Network has made a big investment in DonorsChoose.
Omidyar Network 为这个慈善网站投入了大量的钱
47.It’s one of the best known of these new marketplaces where a donor can go straight into a classroom and connect with what a teacher says they need.
它是最为知名的一个慈善网站之一 你可以直接通过网站与某个学校的老师取得联系 然后帮助那位老师解决他的所需
48.Take a look at Changing the Present, started by a TEDster, next time you need a wedding present or a holiday present.
下一次你需要婚礼礼品或节日礼品的时候, 不妨去看看 Changing the Present 这个网站吧。它是由一位TED参加者发起的。
49.GiveIndia is for a whole country.
还有 GiveIndia
50.And it goes on and on.
以及其他很多很多
51.The third category is represented by Warren Buffet.
第三类是由巴菲特所代表的
52.Which I call aggregated giving.
汇集性捐助
53.It’s not just that Warren Buffet was so amazingly generous in that historic act last summer.
这里要看到的是,不仅仅巴菲特非常慷慨 特别是当你看到他把大部分财产捐给盖茨基金会的时候
54.It’s that he challenged another assumption, that every giver should have his or her own fund or foundation.
而且他的行为也挑战了另外一个传统观念 即每一位捐助者都应当设立一个基金 或基金会
55.There are now, today, so many new funds that are aggregating giving and investing, bringing together people around a common goal, to think bigger.
这个社会涌现出了大量新的基金 它们正慢慢的汇集起来,被用来投资 让关心同样问题 的人 得以走到一块,去想象一个更宽广的未来
56.One of the best known is Acumen Fund, led by Jacqueline Novogratz, a TEDster who got a big boost here at TED.
其中一个很好的例子就是 Acumen Fund,它是由 Jacqueline Novogratz 主管的 她也多次在TED的舞台上谈及这样的经历
57.But there are many others. New Profit in Cambridge, New School’s Venture Fund in Silicon Valley, Venture Philanthropy Partners in Washington,
这样的例子还有很多。比如 New Profit,它是位于剑桥的 位于硅谷的 New School’s Venture Fund 位于华盛顿的 Venture Philanthropy Partners
58.Global Fund for Women in San Francisco.
位于旧金山的 Global Fund for Women
59.Take a look at these.
看看这些例子吧
60.These funds are to philanthropy what venture capital, private equity, and eventually mutual funds are to investing.
这些基金对于慈善行业的意义 就有如投资基金、私人投资以及共同资金 对投资行业的意义
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件] 更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
61.But with a twist, because often a community forms around these funds, as it has at Acumen and other places.
但这里有一个非常巧妙的地方 因为很多时候社区就是围绕着这些基金形成的 这样的事情已经在 Acumen以及其他地方发生了
62.Now, imagine for a second these first three types of experiments, mass collaboration, online marketplaces, aggregated giving.
好吧,现在大家设想一下 这三样的实验 大规模协作、在线慈善以及汇聚性的捐助
63.And understand how they help us re-perceive what organized philanthropy is.
想一想这些对于我们重新想象 慈善这一概念的意义
64.It’s not about foundations necessarily; it’s about the rest of us.
慈善早已不仅仅是基金会的事情,它已经成为了我们每一个人可以做的事情
65.And imagine the mash-up, if you will, of these things, in the future, when these things come together in the experiments of the future —
再设想一下,未来几样东西的大融合 在实验中慢慢走向融合
66.imagine that somebody puts up, say, 100 million dollars for an inspiring goal — there were 21 gifts of 100 million dollars or more in the US last year,
设想有人要拿出 1亿美金 来解决某个大问题 美国去年就有21份礼物的价值超过了1亿
67.not out of the question — but only puts it up if it’s matched by millions of small gifts from around the globe.
所以这不是没有可能的 但这个一亿唯有在 来自全球的小额的捐助与参与下才会兑现
68.Thereby engaging lots of people, and building visibility and engaging people in the goal that’s stated.
通过这样的方式来让许许多多人参与进来 构建出一种透明度以及调动人们的参与 来实现这个共同的目标
69.I’m going to look quickly at the fourth and fifth categories, which are innovation, competitions and social investing.
好了,接下来我要带大家看看第四第五个范畴 即创新、竞争以及社会投资
70.They’re betting a visible competition, a prize, can attract talent and money to some of the most difficult issues, and thereby speed the solution.
有些人认为,假如能够设立一个竞赛和一个奖 那应该可以吸引大量的人参与解决某些非常复杂的问题 并且最终寻找到解决问题的答案
71.This tackles yet another assumption, that the giver and the organization is at the center, as opposed to putting the problem at the center.
这就打破了另外一个假设 即慈善必须是以人(捐赠者以及受助者)为中心的 实际上问题也可以成为慈善的中心
72.You can look to these innovators to help us especially with things that require technological or scientific solution.
你可以期待这些创新者 用特殊的科技手段和科学方法 为我们提供帮助
73.That leaves the final category, social investing, which is really, anyway, the biggest of them all.
最后一个范畴,即社会投资 恰恰也是最大的一个
74.Represented here by Xigi.net.
大家可以看看这方面最好的范例,即 Xigi.net
75.And this, of course, tackles the biggest assumption of all, that business is business, and philanthropy is the vehicle of people who want to create change in the world.
它又一次打破了我们的传统思维 即商业就是商业 而慈善则是那些希望改变世界的人的事情
76.Xigi is a new community site that’s built by the community, linking and mapping this new social capital market.
Xigi 是一个全新的社会网站 完全由社区驱动 它联系并记录了社会投资市场的成长
77.It lists already 1,000 entities that are offering debt and equity for social enterprise.
上面有1000家机构 正在为社会企业提供贷款或资助
78.So we can look to these innovators to help us remember that if we can leverage even a small amount of the capital that it seeks to return,
我们回头看看这些创新者 无非是让我们明白 即使我们只能拉动很小一部分的资本 而这笔资本是期待回报的
79.the good that can be driven could be astonishing.
那么它所能带动的社会价值是巨大的
80.Now, what’s really interesting here is that we’re not thinking our way into a new way of acting.
这里边有趣的是 我们不是要启发我们自身 去以别的方式去行动
81.We’re acting our way into a new way of thinking.
而是我们在通过行动去达到一种新的思维
82.Philanthropy is reorganizing itself before our very eyes.
慈善改变了自身的定义 出现在我们眼前
83.And even though all of the experiments and all of the big givers don’t yet fulfill this aspiration, I think this is the new zeitgeist:
即使那些巨额捐赠者的 实验都没有全都成功 我还是会认为我们已经进入了新的时代
84.open, big, fast, connected.
一个开放的、大规模的、快速发展的、相互联系的时代
85.And, let us also hope, long.
让我们同样希望
86.We have got to realize that it is going to take a long time to do these things.
我们需要一个长期的过程来做这些事情
87.If we don’t develop the stamina to stick with things — whatever it is you pick, stick with it — all of this stuff is just going to be, you know, a fad.
假如我们没有一种韧性去坚持做这些事情 不管是做什么事,都需要坚持去做 那么我们之前讲到的都不过是空谈
88.But I’m really hopeful.
但我依然是十分充满希望
89.And I’m hopeful because it’s not only philanthropy that’s reorganizing itself.
原因是不单慈善事业里头的人 在重塑自身
90.It’s also whole other portions of the social sector, and of business, that are busy challenging “business as usual.”
社会其他领域的人也在重塑自身 包括商业也是 他们都在挑战“延续旧思维”的做法
91.And everywhere I go, inculding here at TED, I feel that there is a new moral hunger that is growing.
另外,不管我去到哪里,包括在TED这里 我都能感受到一种道德上的渴望 这种渴望正在增长
92.What we’re seeing is people really wrestling to describe what is this new thing that’s happening.
我们看到的是很多人都在 努力去理解正在发生的这些事情
93.Words like “philanthrocapitalism,”
并且出现了像“慈善资本主义”、
94.and “natural capitalism,” and “philanthroentrepreneur,”
“自然资本主义”、“慈善资本家”
95.and “venture philanthropy.”
以及“慈善投资”这样的名词
96.We don’t have a language for it yet.
我们至今还没有能够找到一种合适的语言去描绘这一现象
97.Whatever we call it, it’s new, it’s beginning, and I think it’s gong to quite significant.
且不管我们对此的讲法 它是一个崭新的、正在开始起步的东西 并且发展得相当迅速
98.And that’s where my imagined future comes in.
这也正是我想象中的未来之所在
99.Which I am going to call the social singularity.
姑且将此称为“社会奇点”吧
100.Many of you will realize that I’m ripping a bit off of the science fiction writer Vernor Vinge’s notion of a technological singularity,
也许有些人已经听懂了,就是我在借用科幻小说的话语 技术奇点这个说法最初就是由科幻小说作家Vernor Vinge提出来的
101.where a number of trends accelerate and converge and come together to create, really, a shockingly new reality.
当一系列的趋势在加速并且汇聚的时候 将会创造出一个让人惊讶的全新的未来
102.It may be that the social singularity ahead is the one that we fear the most.
也许我们面前的这一社会奇点是 我们最应当感到恐惧的
103.A convergence of catastrophes, of environmental degradation, of weapons of mass destruction, of pandemics, of poverty.
它伴随着系列的灾难 环境的恶化 大规模杀伤性武器以及传染病的扩散 还有贫困
104.That’s because our ability to confront the problems that we face has not kept pace with our ability to create them.
因为 我们应对这些危机的能力 跟不上我们创造这些危机的速度
105.And as we’ve heard here, it is no exaggeration to say that we hold the future of our civilization in our hands as never before.
正如我们先前听到的 未来就掌握在我们的手上 这不是随便说的 这一事实比以往任何时候都更为真切
106.The question is, is there a positive social singularity?
问题是,是否有可能出现一个积极的社会奇点?
107.Is there a frontier for us of how we live together?
是否有一种未来 我们可以彼此友善相处?
108.Our future doesn’t have to be imagined.
我们不需想象我们的未来
109.We can create a future where hope and history rhyme.
我们可以创造一个充满希望,让后辈引以为傲的未来
110.But we have a problem.
但我们也遇到了难题
111.Our experience to date, both individually and collectively, hasn’t prepared us for what we’re going to need to do, or who we’re going to need to be.
我们现今的经验,包括个人的以及集体的 都不能保证我们未来可以应对诸多的挑战 也不能保证我们会成为怎样一个群体
112.We are going to need a new generation of citizen leaders willing to commit ourselves to growing and changing and learning as rapidly as possible.
我们需要的是 新一代的公民领袖 他们乐见成长、变化以及热爱学习 并且能够跟随变化的步伐
113.That’s why I have one last thing I want to show you.
这是我希望给大家展示的最后一页
114.This is a photograph taken about 100 years ago of my grandfather and great-grandfather.
这是一张一百年前拍下来的照片 照片上的是我的祖父以及增祖父
115.This is a newspaper publisher and a banker.
他们分别是保证出版商以及银行家
116.And they were great community leaders.
他们都是优秀的社区领袖
117.And, yes, they were great philanthropists.
他们也都是很优秀的慈善家
118.I keep this photograph close by to me.
我将这张照片留在我身边。
119.It’s in my office.
这是我的办公室
120.Because I’ve always felt a mystical connection to these two men, both of whom I never knew.
我总能够感受到跟他们的一种神秘的亲近感 虽然我从来没有跟他们接触过
121.And so, in their honor, I want to offer you this blank slide.
为了纪念他们 我希望带给大家这张空白的幻灯片
122.And I want you to imagine that this a photograph of you.
我希望大家可以想象一下 这张照片上的人就是你
123.And I want you to think about the community that you want to be part of creating.
我希望你们可以想象一下你们希望 构建的一个社群
124.Whatever that means to you.
不管那对于你的意义是什么
125.And I want you to imagine that it’s 100 years from now, and your grandchild, or great-grandchild, or niece or nephew or god-child, is looking at this photograph of you.
我还希望大家想象一下 一百年之后 你的孙子或者你的曾孙 或者儿媳或小小孙子 在看着这照片上的你
126.What is the story you most want for them to tell?
你希望他们会想起怎样一个故事?
127.Thank you very much.
谢谢大家。
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧