1.I live and work from Tokyo, Japan.
我在日本东京居住并工作
2.And I specialize in human behavioral research, and applying what we learn to think about the future in different ways, and to design for that future.
我致力于人类行为学的调研 然后运用我们所学到的知识用不同的方式去看待未来 并设计未来
3.And you know, to be honest, I’ve been doing this for seven years, and I haven’t got a clue what the future is going to be like.
坦诚的说,我已经做这行7年了 我仍不知道未来将会是怎样
4.But I’ve got a pretty good idea how people will behave when they get there.
但我大致了解 人们的行为到了那时候将会是怎样
5.This is my office. It’s out there.
这就是我的办公室,到处都是
6.It’s not in the lab, and it’s increasingly in places like India, China, Brazil, Africa.
并不是坐在一个实验室里 大多数都在印度,中国,巴西和非洲
7.We live on a planet — 6.3 billion people.
我们共同生活在这个星球上 -63亿人类
8.About three billion people, by the end of this year, will have cellular connectivity.
其中大约30亿人,在今年年底 会接受到手机信号
9.And it’ll take about another two years to connect the next billion after that.
再过2年将会有另10亿人加入他们
10.And I mention this because if we want to design for that future, we need to figure out what those people are about.
我要提到这点是因为 如果我们要为未来做设计 我们需要了解他们是怎么想的
11.And that’s, kind of, where I see what my job is and what our team’s job is.
这也是我工作的重点 也是我们团队的
12.Our research often starts with a very simple question.
我们的调研一般由一个比较简单的问题开场
13.So I’ll give you an example: What do you carry?
比如: 你今天随身带了什么
14.If you think of everything in your life, that you own, when you walk out that door, what do you consider to take with you?
你马上会想到你所拥有的所有财物 当你出门的时候 你会想今天我要带什么
15.When you’re looking around, what do you consider?
你边找边想些什么
16.Of that stuff, what do you carry?
我到底要带那些东西呢
17.And of that stuff, what do you actually use?
那些你随身带的东西你会真正的用到呢
18.So this is interesting to us, because the conscious and subconscious decision process implies that the stuff that you do take with you, and end up using,
这是我们感兴趣的地方 因为这是意识和潜意识做决定的一个过程 仔细想想如果你每天随身带的东西最后都派上了用场
19.has some kind of spiritual, emotional or functional value.
那么在精神上,感情上和功能上都有一定的价值
20.And to put it really bluntly, you know, people are willing to pay for stuff that has value, right?
坦率的说 我们很舍得买一些有价值的东西 不是吗
21.So I’ve probably done about five years research looking at what people carry.
所以关于这个我做了5年的调研 观察人们到底随身带些什么
22.I go in people’s bags. I look in people’s pockets, purses.
我会翻别人的包,摸他们的口袋,还有皮夹
23.I go in their homes, and we do this worldwide, and we follow them around town with video cameras.
我甚至会到世界各地拜访他们的家 然后带着摄像机和他们一起到城里转儿
24.It’s kind of like stalking with permission.
这好像是经过批准的跟踪一样
25.And we do all this — and to go back to the original question: What do people carry?
我们做这些只是为了找到问题的答案 人们到底随身带些什么?
26.And it turns out that people carry a lot of stuff, OK. That’s fair enough.
我们发现我们随身带很多东西 这个没什么错
27.But if you ask people what the three most important things that they carry are — across cultures and across gender and across contexts —
但当你问及哪3样东西是你每天必须要带的话 穿越文化,性别,上下文
28.most people will say keys, money, and if they own one, a mobile phone.
大多数人会说钥匙,钱 手机,如果他们有的话
29.And I’m not saying this is a good thing, but this is a thing, right?
我没说这是个好东西,但是这是个东西是吧?
30.I mean, I couldn’t take your phones off you if I wanted to.
我不能从你手中抢掉你的手机,扔掉
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件] 更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
31.You’d probably kick me out, or something.
如果我那样做的话,你大概会打我一顿
32.OK, it might seem like an obvious thing for someone who works for a mobile phone company to ask.
或者我这个举动有点太明显了 更不用说我是一个手机品牌的在职人员
33.But really, the question is why? Right?
但是这是为什么呢
34.So why are these things so important in our lives?
为什么这些物品对我们那么重要呢
35.And it turns out, from our research, that it boils down to survival — survival for us and survival for our loved ones.
我们的调研表明,这些物品是可以拯救你生命的 拯救我们自己和我们爱的人
36.So keys provide an access to shelter and warmth — transport as well, in the U.S. increasingly.
我们需要一把开启自家大门的钥匙 启动车,也需要钥匙。 在美国,这个数据在日益增长
37.Money is useful for buying food, sustenance — among all its other uses.
钱为了生计可以买食物 当然它还有很多别的用途
38.And a mobile phone, it turns out, is a great recovery tool.
手机其实是一个恢复工具
39.If you prefer this kind of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, those three objects are very good at supporting the lowest rungs in Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
如果你对马斯洛需求层次理论感兴趣的话 这3个物品都能给人很好的辅助 但他们是马斯洛需求层次理论中排名最后的几位
40.Yes, they do a whole bunch of other stuff, but they’re very good at this.
当然他们也有其他别的很多功能 但是他们的辅助功能特别突出
41.And in particular, it’s the mobile phone’s ability to allow people to transcend space and time.
特别是对手机而言 让人们能够超越空间与时间
42.And what I mean by that is, you know, you can transcend space by simply making a voice call, right?
我的意思是 你可以通过打个电话来超越距离感
43.And you can transcend time by sending a message at your convenience, and someone else can pick it up at their convenience.
或者你也可以根据你个人的情况而定发一个短消息打破时间的约束 接受者也可以在他们想看的时候再看
44.And this is fairly universally appreciated, it turns out, which is why we have three billion plus people who have been connected.
大众都普遍偏爱这种交流方式 这也是为什么全球有30亿人用手机建立联系的原因
45.And they value that connectivity.
他们也为此链接增加了价值
46.But actually, you can do this kind of stuff with PCs.
其实,电脑也可以做这事儿
47.And you can do them with phone kiosks.
用电话亭也行
48.And the mobile phone, in addition, is both personal — and so it also gives you a degree of privacy — and it’s convenient.
但是手机它的好处是它非常个性化 给你足够的隐私并且很方便
49.You don’t need to ask permission from anyone, you can just go ahead and do it, right?
你不用得到任何人的允许 你就直接一个电话过去了不是吗?
50.However, for these things to help us survive, it depends on them being carried.
这些物品能否救我们的命 那还要看你是不是随身带了它们
51.But — and it’s a pretty big but — we forget.
虽然重要,但是我们有时候会忘记
52.We’re human, that’s what we do. It’s one of our features.
我们是人,我们会忘记事情,也算是我们自带功能的一种
53.I think, quite a nice feature.
我觉得这个功能挺好
54.So we forget, but we’re also adaptable, and we adapt to situations around us pretty well.
我们会忘记,但是我们适应力很强 适应周遭的各种情况
55.And so we have these strategies to remember, and one of them was mentioned yesterday.
当然还有一些方法需要铭记 昨天还提到过一个
56.And it’s quite simply, the point of reflection.
比较简单, 反射效应
57.And that’s that moment when you’re walking out of a space, and you turn around, and quite often you tap your pockets.
当你要出门的时候 你会转身摸一下自己的口袋
58.Even women who keep stuff in their bags tap their pockets.
就连那些把东西放在皮包的女性朋友们也会做同样的动作
59.And you turn around, and you look back into the space, and some people talk aloud.
你会转身朝屋里看 有些人边看还边叫
60.And pretty much everyone does it at some point.
每个人时不时的都会这样
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件] 更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
61.OK the next thing is — most of you, if you have a stable home life, and what I mean is that you don’t travel all the time, and always in hotels —
再有,大多数人都有一个比较稳定的生活 我指的是,他们不用全世界到处跑或总是呆在酒店里
62.but most people have what we call a center of gravity.
每个人都有一个放东西的地方我们称做“重点位置”
63.And a center of gravity is where you keep these objects.
这个“重心位置”是你专放这些物品的地方
64.And these things don’t stay in the center of gravity, but over time, they gravitate there.
刚开始他们可能不是放在那里的 但随着时间的推移,他们就在那里扎根了
65.It’s where you expect to find stuff.
比如你要找某些东西的时候
66.And in fact, when you’re turning around, and you’re looking inside the house, and you’re looking for this stuff, this is where you look first, right?
其实 当你转过身 朝屋里看的时候 你就在找这些物品 这些会是你马上去找的地方不是吗
67.OK, so when we did this research, we found the absolutely, 100 percent guaranteed way to never forget anything, ever ever again.
所以我们做了调研 我们找到了一种100%保证你 再也不会忘记东西的方法
68.And that is, quite simply to have nothing to remember.
其实很简单,什么都不要记就可以了,就不会忘记了
69.(Laughter) OK, now that sounds like something you get on a Chinese fortune cookie, right?
笑 这听上去是不是有点好笑就是中国的幸运饼?
70.But is in fact about the art of delegation.
但其实这是一种分配工作的艺术
71.And from a design perspective, it’s about understanding what you can delegate to technology and what you can delegate to other people.
从一个设计的角度来讲 关于自身对科技掌握的一种的理解 你能分配那些任务给其他人
72.And it turns out, delegation — if you want it to be — can be the solution for pretty much everything, apart from things like bodily functions, going to the toilet.
如果你愿意你就可以分配任务给其他人 这几乎是解决所有的事的方法 除了生理的一些反应,比如去厕所
73.You can’t ask someone to do that on your behalf.
别人不能替你做这些事
74.And apart from things like entertainment, you wouldn’t pay someone to go to the cinema for you and have fun on your behalf.
再有就是娱乐项目 你不会叫个人替你去电影院看电影
75.Or, at least not yet.
至少目前还不会
76.Maybe sometime in the future, we will.
可能将来我们会这么做
77.So let me give you an example of delegation in practice, right.
现在让我给你一个现实的分配任务的例子
78.So this is — probably the thing I’m most passionate about, is the research that we’ve been doing on illiteracy and how people who are illiterate communicate.
这是可能我最热衷做的事 一个我们对文盲的研究 他们是用什么来进行交流的
79.So the U.N. estimated — this is 2004 figures — that there are almost 800 million people who can’t read and write, worldwide.
2004年U.N的统计数据表明 全球有大约有8亿是文盲,不会读也不会写
80.So we’ve been conducting a lot of research.
所以我们做了很多调查
81.And one of the things we were looking at is — if you can’t read and write, if you want to communicate over distances, you need to be able to identify the person
引起我们注意的是 如果你不会读或写 但是你想通过距离来进行交流 你必须具有能力识别
82.that you want to communicate with.
那个与你做交流的人
83.It could be a phone number, it could be an e-mail address, it could be a postal address.
可以是一个电话号码,或者电子邮箱的地址 邮政地址
84.Simple question, if you can’t read and write, how do you manage your contact information?
很简单的一个问题,如果你不能读或写 你怎么搞定自己的联系方式呢?
85.And the fact is that millions of people do it.
事实证明很多人都可以应付的来
86.Just from a design perspective, we didn’t really understand how they did it, and so that’s just one small example of the kind of research that we were doing.
从设计的角度讲, 我们不能理解他们是怎么做到的 这只是举个小小的例子 我们是怎么做我们的调研的
87.And it turns out that illiterate people are masters of delegation.
其实文盲他们是委派任务的高手
88.So they delegate that part of the task process to other people, the stuff that they can’t do themselves.
他们把一个任务中的几个部分委派给其他人 那些他们自己做不了的事
89.Let me give you another example of delegation.
举个例子
90.This one’s a little bit more sophisticated, and this is from a study that we did in Uganda about how people who are sharing devices use those devices.
这个例子比较复杂 这是我们在乌干达做的一个调查 关于那里的人们共享并共用一个设备
91.Sente is a word in Uganda that means money.
Senta是乌干达的一个土话,意思是 钱
92.It has a second meaning, which is to send money as airtime. OK?
它还有一个意思就是把话费当钱寄回去
93.And it works like this.
是这样运作的
94.So let’s say, June you’re in a village, rural village.
比如果,June你在一个边远的村庄
95.I’m in Kampala and I’m the wage earner.
我是在坎帕拉的一个工薪阶层
96.I’m sending money back, and it works like this.
我要寄钱回去
97.So in your village, there’s one person in the village with a phone, and that’s the phone kiosk operator.
在你的村庄有个人他有个手机 他是共用电话亭的接线员
98.And it’s quite likely that they’d have a quite simple mobile phone at a phone kiosk.
在共用电话亭应该有一个标准功能的手机
99.So what I do is, I buy a prepaid card like this.
所以我会去买一个充值卡
100.And instead of using that money to top up my own phone, I call up the local village operator.
我不把钱充在我自己的电话里 我打电话给你村子的接线员
101.And I read out that number to them, and they use it to top up their phone.
把充值卡上的密码告诉他,让他充到他的手机里
102.So they’re topping up the value from Kampala, and it’s now being topped up in the village.
也就是说他从坎帕拉冲了值 里面的金额冲到了你村庄一名手机用户的账户上
103.You take a 10 or 20 percent commission, and then you — the kiosk operator takes 10 or 20 percent commission, and passes the rest over to you in cash.
你拿10-20%的佣金 共用电话亭接线员扣掉10-20%的佣金 然后再把多下来的钱以现金的方式给你
104.OK, there’s two things I like about this.
所以整个过程中有两点我特别喜欢
105.So the first is, it turns anyone who has access to a mobile phone, anyone who has a mobile phone, essentially into an ATM machine.
第一,任何能接触到手机的人 或拥有手机的人 其实就是个自动取款机
106.It brings rudimentary banking services to places where there’s no banking infrastructure.
这带动了这个地方最根本的银行服务 虽然没有银行业的基础设施
107.And even if they could have access to the banking infrastructure, they wouldn’t necessarily be considered viable customers, because they’re not wealthy enough to have bank accounts.
即使他们可以有机会接触到银行 银行也不会把他们视为有价值的用户 因为他们还不具备拥有银行账户的资格
108.There’s a second thing I like about this.
第二点我喜欢的地方
109.And that is that despite all the resources at my disposal, and despite all our kind of apparent sophistication I know I could never have designed something as elegant
抛开我多年调研经验 和我们对事物的审美观 我无法设计与此一样优雅
110.and as totally in tune with the local conditions as this. OK?
并与当地的实际情况完全相符的一个系统
111.And, yes, there is things like Grameen Bank and micro-lending.
是的,我们还有格莱珉银行和小金额贷款
112.But the difference between this and that is there’s no central authority trying to control this.
他们的区别是 这个系统是没有权威机构的束缚
113.This is just street-up innovation.
完全是街头的创新
114.So, it turns out the street is a never-ending source of, kind of inspiration for us.
所以 大街小巷永远是个 灵感的源头
115.And OK, if you break one of these things here, you return it to the carrier.
如果弄坏这个东西,你归还给出售者
116.They’ll give you a new one.
他们会给你一个新的
117.They’ll probably give you three new ones, right?
他们应该会给你3个新的不是吗?
118.I mean that’s buy three, get one free. That kind of thing.
不是买三送一吗
119.If you go on the streets of India and China, you see this kind of stuff.
如果你到印度或中国的街头 ,你会看到诸如此类的生意
120.And this is where they take the stuff that breaks, and they fix it, and they put it back into circulation.
他们回收损坏的东西 然后修理后再循环出售
121.This is from a workbench in Jilin City, in China, and you can see people taking down a phone and putting it back together.
在中国吉林的一个修理铺 你可以看到他们把一个手机拆开 然后再组装起来
122.They reverse-engineer manuals.
用手工破解这些手机的系统
123.This is a kind of hacker’s manual, and it’s written in Chinese and English.
这是一种黑客的破解方法 被印制成中文和英文
124.They also write them in Hindi.
甚至北印度语
125.You can subscribe to these.
你也可以订购一份
126.There are training institutes where they’re churning out people for fixing these things as well.
他们还设立专门的培训班机构,一窝蜂的培训人 怎么修理机子
127.But what I like about this is it boils down to someone on the street with a small, flat surface, a screwdriver, a toothbrush for cleaning the contact heads —
我比较欣赏其中的这点 最后这个生意在街边一个很小很矮的店铺落脚 一把螺丝刀,一把牙刷用来清理话筒部位
128.because they often get dust on the contact heads — and knowledge.
因为话筒总是粘灰比较多的地方
129.And it’s all about the social network of the knowledge, floating around.
这个是关于怎样传播这种知识,让它在整个社区传播
130.And I like this because it challenges the way that we design stuff, and build stuff, and potentially distribute stuff.
我喜欢这点的原因是因为这是对我们产品设计的一种挑战 和制造产品与潜在产品投放点的挑战
131.It challenges the norms.
也是对标准规格的一种挑战
132.OK, for me the streets just raises so many different questions.
对我来说,大街小巷会出现层出不穷的问题
133.Like, this is Viagra that I bought from a backstreet sex shop in China.
比如,我在中国的小巷中的一个性保健店买了这瓶伟哥
134.And China is a country where you get a lot of fakes.
在中国,你可以买到不少假货
135.And I know what you’re asking, did I test it?
我知道你会问,难道你自己试用过了
136.I’m not going to answer that, OK.
我不会回答你这个问题好吧
137.But I look at something like this, and I consider the implications of trust and confidence in the purchase process, and we look at this and we think, well how does that apply,
我从另一个角度来观察,我觉得这个一个关于 购买过程中信任与自信的一条线索 我们怎样把它运用到生活中呢
138.for example, for the design of — the lessons from this apply to the design of online services, future services in these markets?
比如说, 做一个构想–从中我们学到的 怎样在这些市场策划线上服务与今后的新增服务
139.This is a pair of underpants from — (Laughter) from Tibet.
这是一条 笑 从西藏买来的内裤
140.And I look at something like this, and honestly, you know, why would someone design underpants with a pocket, right?
我看着它,自问 为什么有人会在内裤上做个口袋?
141.And I look at something like this and it makes me question, if we were to take all the functionality in things like this, and redistribute them around the body
这个让我深思 如果我们考虑把这个东西的所有功能 分布到我们身体的各个部位
142.in some kind of personal area network, how would we prioritize where to put stuff?
就好象是身体各个部位的联络网 那我们怎么决定那个口袋放什么呢?
143.And yes, this is quite trivial but actually the lessons from this can apply to that kind of personal area networks.
是,这看上去是有些繁琐,但这个可以联系到 身体各个部位的联络网
144.And what you see here is a couple of phone numbers written above the shack in rural Uganda.
你们看到的是几个电话号码 在边缘乌干达门框上写着的电话号码
145.This doesn’t have house numbers, this has phone numbers.
这些不是门牌而是电话号码
146.So what does it mean when people’s identity is mobile?
难道别人用手机来辨认谁是谁?
147.When those extra three billion people’s identity is mobile, it isn’t fixed?
难道3亿人真的用手机号码来认人吗
148.Your notion of identity is out-of-date already, OK, for those extra three billion people.
那你对认人的概念也太落伍了 对这额外的3亿人来说
149.This is how it’s shifting.
这就是演变的过程
150.And then I go to this picture here, which is the one that I started with.
再来看一些照片,我拍的第一张照片
151.And this is — this is from Delhi.
这是是印度的德里
152.It’s from a study we did into illiteracy, and it’s a guy in a teashop.
我们在那里做了对文盲的调研 这是个茶店里的伙计
153.You can see the chai being poured in the background.
你可以从后面看到他已经倒好的茶
154.And he’s a, you know, incredibly poor teashop worker, on the lowest rungs in the society.
他是这个极其贫穷的茶点力的一个伙计 生活在社会最底层
155.And he, somehow has the appreciation of the values of LiveStrong.
但他对 耐克的LiveStrong手环的价值有着独特的钟爱
156.And it’s not necessarily the same values, but some kind of values of LiveStrong, to actually go out and purchase them and actually display them.
这不是我们所说的金钱价值 而是这个手环所代表的意义的价值 所以他去购买这些手环 并展示他们
157.For me, this kind of personifies this connected world, where everything is intertwined, and the dots are — it’s all about the dots joining together.
对我来说这样的人格魅力可以带动整个世界 每样事物都交错在一起,个体 个体与个体联系到一起
158.OK, the title of this presentation is “connections and consequences,”
这个演讲的标题为 “联系与结论”
159.and it’s really a kind of summary of five years of trying to figure out what it’s going to be like when everyone on the planet has the ability to transcend space and time
这是我五年探索工作的总结 关于在这个星球上生存的每一个人 都有能力来穿越空间与时间
160.in a personal and convenient manner, right?
在一个私人与便捷的方式下 不是吗
161.When everyone’s connected.
当每个人都被联系到一起
162.And there are four things.
其中有四个元素
163.So the first thing is the immediacy of ideas, the speed at which ideas go around.
第一是构想的直观性 构想酝酿的速度
164.And I know TED is about big ideas, but actually the benchmark for a big idea is changing.
我知道TED以出大构想为名 但是大构想的基准正在改变
165.If you want a big idea you need to embrace everyone on the planet, that’s the first thing.
如果你想要出大构想,你必须先接受这个星球上的每一个人 这个是第一步
166.The second thing is the immediacy of objects.
第二是目标的直观性
167.And what I mean by that is as these become smaller, as the functionality that you can access through this becomes greater — things like banking, identity —
当这些东西变的越来越小 他们的功能却越来越强大 比如银行业,身份认证
168.these things, quite simply move very quickly around the world.
这些元素顺其自然的在全球传播的很快
169.And so the speed of the adoption of things is just going to become that much more rapid in a way that we just totally cannot conceive,
所以对事物的接受速度 也将变的越来越快 我们无法用语言来表达
170.when you get it to 6.3 billion and the growth in the world’s population.
当全世界有63亿人的时候 全球的人口在增长
171.The next thing is that however we design this stuff — carefully design this stuff — the street will take it and will figure out ways to innovate,
无论我们怎样想方设法设计这东西 非常小心谨慎的设计这东西 在街头混的小子们会把它弄个明白再做出新的创新
172.as long as it meets base needs.
只要能与他们基本需求温和
173.The ability to transcend space and time, for example.
举个例子,拥有穿越时间与空间的本领
174.And it will innovate in ways that we cannot anticipate.
他们会做我们根本无法预期的不同创新
175.In ways that, despite our resources they can do it better than us.
他们甚至能比我们做的更好
176.That’s my feeling.
至少我是这样认为的
177.And if we’re smart, we’ll look at this stuff that’s going on, and we’ll figure out a way to enable it to inform and infuse both what we design and how we design.
如果我们够聪明的话,我们会关注这些东西的发展趋势 我们会找到一种方法来使其发扬光大 关于设计和怎样设计
178.And the last thing is that — actually the direction of the conversation.
最后一点, 就是这次谈论的重点
179.With another three billion people connected, they want to be part of the conversation.
当3亿人被联系到了一起 他们也希望参与交流
180.And I think our relevance and TED’s relevance is really about embracing that and learning how to listen, essentially.
我认为我们和TED的主旨 最根本是接受并学习怎么去聆听
181.And we need to learn how to listen.
我们需要学习怎么聆听
182.So thank you very, very much.
所以非常非常感谢你们今天的参与