1.I’m delighted to be here.
很高兴来到这里。
2.I’m honored by the invitation, and thanks.
收到这份邀请使我感到非常荣幸,谢谢。
3.I would love to talk about stuff that I’m interested in, but unfortunately I suspect that what I’m interested in won’t interest many other people.
我很高兴能够讲述我感兴趣的东西, 遗憾的是我估计,我感兴趣的东西 绝大多数人会不感兴趣。
4.First off, my badge says I’m an astronomer.
首先,我的正式职业是一名天文学家。
5.I would love to talk about my astronomy, but I suspect that the number of people who are interested in radiative transfer in non-gray atmospheres
我很想谈谈我对天文学的研究, 但我怀疑对辐射转移 对非灰色大气层
6.and polarization of light in Jupiter’s upper atmosphere are the number of people who’d fit in a bus shelter.
以及对木星的高层大气的光偏振 感兴趣的人加起来是否能挤得满一个公共汽车候车亭。
7.So I’m not going to talk about that.
所以我不打算去谈论它。
8.(Laughter) It would be just as much fun to talk about some stuff that happened in 1986 and 1987, when a computer hacker is breaking into our systems
(众笑) 另外一件值得一谈的趣事 发生在1986年和1987年, 当时一个电脑黑客想要进入
9.over at Lawrence Berkeley Labs.
我们在Lawrence Berkeley研究所的系统。
10.And I caught the guys, and they turned out to be working for what was then the Soviet KGB, and stealing information and selling it.
我抓到了那些黑客, 并且发现他们当时正在为前苏联克格勃工作, 他们想要窃取我们的信息并且倒卖出去。
11.And I’d love to talk about that — and it’d be fun — but, 20 years later …
我很想谈谈这件事情─而且一定会很有趣─ 但是20年以后…
12.I find computer security, frankly, to be kind of boring.
我发现电脑安全这个领域,说老实话,有点无聊。
13.It’s tedious.
它过于乏味。
14.I’m — The first time you do something, it’s science.
我… 当你第一次做一件事情的时候,就像搞科研。
15.The second time, it’s engineering.
第二次做这件事情,就像搞工程。
16.A third time, it’s just being a technician.
第三次,就像成了一个技师。
17.I’m a scientist. Once I do something, I do something else.
我是一个科学家。当我在着手一件事情的时候,我已经开始想着下一件事情了。
18.So I’m not going to talk about that.
所以我也不会讲那个黑客的故事。
19.Nor am I going to talk about what I think are obvious statements from my first book, Silicon Snake Oil, or my second book, nor am I going to talk about
我也不会去谈那些我认为我的第一本书(Silicon Snake Oil)里很明确的观点, 我也不会去谈论我的第二本书, 我更不会去谈论
20.why I believe computers don’t belong in schools.
为什么我认为电脑不应当进入学校。
21.I feel that there’s a massive and bizarre idea going around that we have to bring more computers into schools.
现在有一个影响力很大的奇怪的提议 就是要在学校普及电脑。
22.My idea is: No! No!
我的观点是:万万不可!
23.Get them out of schools and keep them out of schools.
让电脑远离学校,永远不许电脑进入学校的大门。
24.And I’d love to talk about this, but I think the argument is so obvious to anyone who’s hung around a fourth grade classroom that it doesn’t need much talking about —
这也是一个我想要谈论的问题。 但我认为我的理由对于任何一个在四年级教室里待过的人是如此的明显, 以至于没有必要再在这里谈了─
25.but I guess I may be very wrong about that, and everything else that I’ve said.
但我的观点可能是相当错误的, 包括我刚刚说的所有东西都可能是错误的。
26.So don’t go back and read my dissertation.
所以不必回头再去评判我的论点。
27.It probably has lies in it as well.
甚至可能在这里我说的也不是真话。
28.Having said that, I outlined my talk about five minutes ago.
说到这里,五分钟前我把我的演讲列了一个提纲。
29.(Laughter) And if you look at it over here, the main thing I wrote on my thumb was the future.
(众笑) 假如你看这里, 写在我大拇指上的最主要的东西是未来。
30.I’m supposed to talk about the future, yes?
我是不是应该讨论一下未来?
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件] 更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
31.Oh, right. And my feeling is, asking me to talk about the future is bizarre, because I’ve got gray hair, and so it’s kind of silly for me to talk about the future.
噢,对了。我的感觉是,让我讨论未来是一件很奇怪的是, 因为我已经满头灰白了, 所以让我去讨论未来有些愚蠢。
32.In fact, I think that if you really want to know what the future’s going to be, if you really want to know about the future, don’t ask a technologist, a scientist, a physicist.
事实上,我认为假如你真的要知道未来是什么样子的, 假如你真的想要知道未来, 不要去问科技专家,科学家,或者物理学家
33.No! Don’t ask somebody who’s writing code.
千万不要问那些写程序的人。
34.No, if you want to know what society’s going to be like in 20 years, ask a kindergarten teacher.
如果你想要知道这个社会20年后会是什么样儿, 去问一个幼儿园教师。
35.They know.
他们知道。
36.In fact, don’t ask just any kindergarten teacher, ask an experienced one.
当然,也不要随便逮着一个幼儿园教师就问, 要去问有经验的。
37.They’re the ones who know what society is going to be like in another generation.
他们就是那些知道下一代社会会是什么样儿的人。
38.I don’t. Nor, I suspect, do many other people who are talking about what the future will bring.
不光是我, 许多在谈论未来是什么样子的人其实并不知道未来是什么样子的。
39.Certainly, all of us can imagine these cool new things that are going to be there.
当然了,谁都可以想象将可能出现的 那些新奇好玩的新事物。
40.But to me, things aren’t the future.
但是对我来说,新鲜事物不代表未来。
41.What I ask myself is, what’s society is going to be like, when the kids today are phenomenally good at text messaging and spend a huge amount of on-screen time,
我认为真正重要的是,未来的社会将是什么样的, 当今天的孩子如此熟练的发短信, 并且花费相当多的时间在电子屏幕前,
42.but have never gone bowling together.
却从来没有一起去打过保龄球。
43.Change is happening, and the change that is happening is not one that is in software.
变化正在发生,而且那些在发生的变化 并非是发生在软件里的变化。
44.But that’s not what I’m going to talk about.
但这不是是我将要谈论到的。
45.I’d love to talk about it, it’d be fun, but I want to talk about what I’m doing now. What am I doing now?
我很想谈谈这个话题,那一定会很有趣, 但是我想要谈谈我最近在干的一些事情。我现在正在干什么?
46.Oh — the other thing that I think I’d like to talk about is right over here. Right over here.
噢─我另外想提到的一些事情 就是这个
47.Is that visible? What I’d like to talk is one-sided things.
你们看得见吗?我想说的叫单向性事物。
48.I would dearly love to talk about things that have one side.
我非常乐于谈谈 这种单向性事物。
49.Because I love Mobius loops. I not only love Mobius loops, but I’m one of the very few people, if not the only person in the world, that makes Klein bottles.
因为我一直迷恋莫比乌斯带。不只是莫比乌斯带, 我还是世界上独一无二 的制造克莱因瓶的人,
50.Right away, I hope that all of your eyes glaze over.
好了,我希望你们好好地盯着这个瓶子。
51.This is a Klein bottle.
这是一个克莱因瓶。
52.For those of you in the audience who know, you roll your eyes and say, yup. I know all about it.
对于你们当中一些知道什么叫克莱因瓶的人来说, 你肯定会转一转你的眼睛,然后说,是的,我知道这是怎么一回事。
53.It’s one sided. It’s a bottle whose inside is its outside.
这个瓶子的内壁和外壁其实是同一个面。
54.It has zero volume. And it’s non-orientable.
这个瓶子的容积为零。而且是无定向性的。
55.It has wonderful properties.
它具有非常奇妙的特性。
56.If you take two Mobius loops and sew their common edge together, you get one of these, and I make them out of glass.
假如你将两个莫比乌斯带的相同边缘缝接起来, 你就会得到我手里一样的东西,它是用玻璃制造的。
57.And I’d love to talk to you about this, but I don’t have much in the way of … things to say because — (Laughter) (Chris Anderson: I’ve got a cold.)
我很乐意跟你们谈谈这个东西, 但是我又没什么可多说的,因为─ (众笑) (Chris Anderson: 我有感冒。)
58.However, the “D” in “TED” of course stands for design.
然而,“TED”中的“D”代表的是设计(design)
59.Just two weeks ago I made — you know, I’ve been making small, medium and big Klein bottles for the trade.
两周前我刚刚做了─ 事实上,我一直在制造并且买卖小,中,和大型克莱因瓶。
60.But what I’ve just made — and I’m delighted to show you, first time in public here.
但是我刚刚做了一个─ 我很高兴能够第一次在公共场合下展示给你们看。
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件] 更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
61.This is a Klein-bottle wine bottle, which, although in four dimensions it shouldn’t be able to hold any fluid at all, it’s perfectly capable of doing so
这是一个克莱因葡萄酒瓶, 尽管在一个具有四维空间的 瓶子里储存不了任何液体, 但是这个瓶子却完全可以。
62.because our universe has only three spatial dimensions.
因为我们所处的宇宙只有三维。
63.And because our universe is only three spatial dimensions, it can hold fluids.
正是因为这个宇宙只有三维空间, 所以这个瓶子可以储存液体。
64.So it’s highly — that one’s the cool one.
所以它很─ 这是比较酷的一个。
65.That was a month of my life.
它花费了我一个月的时间。
66.But although I would love to talk about topology with you, I’m not going to.
虽然我很乐意跟你们解释拓扑学,但是今天我不会。
67.(Laughter) Instead, I’m going to mention my mom, who passed away last summer.
(众笑) 相反,我想说一下我的母亲, 她去年夏天过世了。
68.Had collected photographs of me, as mothers will do.
她生前保存了很多我的照片,就像所有的母亲一样。
69.Could somebody put this guy up?
你们谁可以把屏幕信号切到这个幻灯?
70.And I looked over her album and she had collected a picture of me, standing — well, sitting, in 1969, in front of a bunch of dials.
当我看她的相册时 她有这样一张关于我的照片,站着─ 哦不对,坐着,那是1969年,我的背后是一片旋钮。
71.And I looked at it, and said, oh my god, that was me when I was working at the electronic music studio!
我看着这张照片,我说,天哪, 那是我还在电子音乐工作室的时候的照片!
72.As a technician, repairing and maintaining the electronic music studio at SUNY Buffalo. And wow!
作为一个技工,负责对仪器的维修和保养 那个工作室在纽约州立大学水牛城分校。天哪!
73.Way-back machine. And I said to myself, oh yeah!
很陈旧的设备。然后我对自己说,噢,我想起来了!
74.And it sent me back.
这张照片将我的思绪送回了过去。
75.Soon after that, I found in another picture that she had, a picture of me.
不久以后,我找到了另外一张我妈妈替我保存的我的照片。
76.This guy over here of course is me.
这个家伙显然就是我。
77.This man is Robert Moog, the inventor of the Moog synthesizer, who passed away this past August.
这个人是Robert Moog, Moog合成器的发明者, 他去年八月份过世了。
78.Robert Moog was a generous, kind person, extraordinarily competent engineer.
Robert Moog是一个心胸宽广,温和善良的人;他同时又是一个才华横溢的工程师。
79.A musician who took time from his life to teach me, a sophomore, a freshman at SUNY Buffalo.
他同时还是一个音乐家,他花了很多功夫培养我 我当时还是一个在纽约州立大学水牛城念大一,大二的学生
80.He’d come up from Trumansburg to teach me not just about the Moog synthesizer, but we’d be sitting there — I’m studying physics at the time. This is 1969, 70, 71.
他会专程从Trumansburg赶来教我 不光是Moog合成器,我们就坐在那儿─ 我当时还在攻读物理学。那是1969,70和71年。
81.We’re studying physics, I’m studying physics, and he saying, “That’s a good thing to do.
我们就一起研究物理,我还在攻读物理学时, 他就会说:“这是一个不错的选择。
82.Don’t get caught up in electronic music if you’re doing physics.”
不要因为受电子音乐的影响而放弃追求物理。”
83.Mentoring me. He’d come up and spend hours and hours with me.
每次他来指导我物理时, 他会几小时,几小时地花时间教导我。
84.He wrote a letter of recommendation for me to get into graduate school.
我进研究生学院的推荐信也是他给我写的。
85.In the background, my bicycle.
(回到这张照片)背景是我的自行车。
86.I realize that this picture was taken at a friend’s living room.
从这个背景我意识到这是我朋友的客厅。
87.Bob Moog came by and hauled a whole pile of equipment to show Greg Flint and I things about this.
Bob(就是Robert) Moog带了一大堆的装置过来 来向我和Greg Flint演示这些东西。
88.We sat around talking about Fourier transforms.
我们就坐在那里讨论傅立叶变换。
89.Bessel functions, modulation transfer functions, stuff like this.
贝色函数, 调制变换函数, 以及类似的东西。
90.Bob’s passing this past summer has been a loss to all of us.
Bob(Robert)去年夏天的过世对我们所有人来说是个很大的损失。
91.Anyone who’s a musician has been profoundly influenced by Robert Moog.
任何一个音乐家都深受Robert Moog的影响。
92.(Applause) And I’ll just say what I’m about to do. What I’m about to do — I hope you can recognize that there’s a distorted sine wave,
(鼓掌) 我即将告诉你我要干什么。我要干的是─ 我希望你们都能辨认出照片里的这个被扭曲的正弦波,
93.almost a triangular wave upon this Hewlett-Packard oscilloscope.
它从这个HP的示波器看上去几乎就是一个三角波。
94.Oh cool. I can get to this place over here, right?
哦对了。我可以切换话题了对吗?
95.Kids. Kids is what I’m going to talk about — is that okay?
孩子。孩子是我的下一个话题─可以吗?
96.It says kids over here, that’s what I’d like to talk about.
我的手上写的是孩子,那就是我下一个要讲的话题了。
97.I’ve decided that, for me at least, I don’t have a big enough head.
我已经决定了,至少对我来说, 我在这方面没有什么创意。
98.So I think locally and I act locally.
所以我的所作所为都只能局限在一小部分地方。
99.I feel that the best way I can help out anything is to help out very, very locally.
我感到最好的能够帮助孩子的方法是帮助当地的孩子。
100.So Ph.D. this, and degree there, and the yadda yadda.
不管你有什么样的文凭。
101.I was talking about this stuff some school teachers about a year ago.
一年前 我在跟一些学校教师谈论这个问题。
102.And one of them, several of them would come up to me and say, “Well, how come you ain’t teaching?”
然后他们中的一些人会对我说, “为什么你不去教那些孩子呢?”
103.And I said, “Well, I’ve taught graduate — I’ve had graduate students, I’ve taught undergraduate classes.”
我说:“我过去教的是研究生─ 我同样也教过本科生。”
104.No, they said, “If you’re so into kids and all this stuff, how come you ain’t over here on the front lines?
他们说:“假如你对孩子的教育问题如此关心, 那你为什么不过来亲自教授他们?
105.Put your money where you mouth is.”
你应当说到做到,而不是光耍嘴皮子。”
106.Is true. Is true. I teach eighth-grade science four days a week.
他们说的是对的。我就一周花四天去教八年级科学。
107.Not just showing up every now and then.
我不是隔三岔五地来教书。
108.No, no, no, no, no. I take attendance.
我上课要点名。
109.I take lunch hour. (Applause) This is not — no, no, no, this is not claps.
我还有午间休息。(鼓掌) 你们没有必要为我鼓掌。
110.I strongly suggest that this is a good thing for each of you to do.
我强烈建议这是你们每一个人应当做的事情。
111.Not just show up to class every now and then.
不只是隔三岔五地去一下教室。
112.Teach a solid week. Okay, I’m teaching three-quarters time, but good enough.
好好地教一个星期。我一星期内只花四分之三的时间教书,不过已经足够好了。
113.One of the things that I’ve done for my science students is to tell them, “Look, I’m going to teach you college-level physics.
我是这样教导修我科学课程的学生的 我对他们说:“我要教你们大学水平的物理。
114.No calculus, I’ll cut out that.
但是我不会涉及到微积分。
115.You won’t need to know trig.
你不需要懂得几何学。
116.But you will need to know eigth-grade algebra, and we’re going to do serious experiments.
但是你需要懂得八年级程度的代数, 然后我们要做真正的实验。
117.None of this “open-to-chapter-seven-and-do-all-the-odd-problem-sets.”
我是不会给你们一本书然后光叫你们做书后的习题的,
118.We’re going to be doing genuine physics.”
我要教你们常识性的物理学。”
119.And that’s one of the things I thought I’d do right now.
然后我就要向你们展示我是如何给他们做试验的。
120.(High-pitched tone) Oh, before I even turn that on, one of the things that we did about three weeks ago in my class — this is through the lens, and one of the things we used a lens for
(高频段音) 噢,在我把机器打开前, 我要向你们解释大约三周前我给课堂里讲的东西─ 这是镜片的许多应用之一,就是通过镜片
121.was to measure the speed of light.
来测量光速。
122.My students in El Cerrito — with my help, of course, and with the help of a very beat up oscilloscope, measured the speed of light.
我在El Cerrito的学生通过我的帮忙 和一个非常陈旧的示波器的帮忙, 来测量光速。
123.We were off by 25 percent. How many eighth-graders do you know of who have measured the speed of light?
我们得到的结果有25%的偏差。你们知道有多少八年级学生 做过光速测试?
124.In addition to that, we’ve measured the speed of sound.
除此之外,我们还测量过音速。
125.I’d love to measure the speed of light here.
我现在就要向你们展示测音速的实验。
126.I was all set to do it and I was thinking, “Aw man,”
当我决定给你们做这个实验的时候我很兴奋地在想,“老天”
127.I was just going to impose upon the powers that be, and measure the speed of light.
我只是想不断加强这方面的能力, 来测量光速。
128.And I’m all set to do it. I’m all set to do it, but then it turns out that to set up here, you have like 10 minutes to set up!
我很兴奋地想要做测光速的实验, 但是假如要把仪器准备好需要花费10分钟的时间!
129.And there’s no time to do it.
但现在不容许我花那么多时间。
130.So, next time, maybe, I’ll measure the speed of light!
所以下次也许我会向大家展示测光速的实验!
131.But meanwhile, let’s measure the speed of sound!
不过现在,我们来测音速吧!
132.Well the obvious way to measure the speed of sound is to bounce sound off something and look at the echo.
测量音速最简单的方法 就是让声波反弹然后测量回声的时间。
133.But, probably — one of my students, Ariel, said, “Could we measure the speed of light using the wave equation?”
然后我的一个学生,Ariel,说, “我们能不能通过波的定理公式来测量光速?”
134.And all of you know the wave equation is: the frequency times the wavelength of any wave …
你们都知道波的定理公式是: 频率乘以任何波的波长…
135.is a constant. When the frequency goes up, the wavelength comes down. Wavelength goes up, frequency goes down. So if we have a wave here —
是一个常量。当频率变大, 波长减小。当波长增大 频率变小。所以我们这里有一个波─
136.over here, that’s what’s interesting — As the pitch comes up, things get closer, pitch goes down, things stretch out.
看这里,这是一个很有趣的现象─ 当音频变高时,波跟波之间的距离变小 当音频变低时,波跟波之间的距离拉大了。
137.Right? This is simple physics.
这是最简单的物理学,不是吗?
138.All of you know this from eighth grade, remember?
你们所有人在八年级的时候就学过了,记不记得?
139.What they didn’t tell you in physics — in eighth grade physics — but they should have — and I wish they had — was that if you multiply the frequency times the wavelength of sound
但是他们在八年级物理课上没有告诉你的是 (他们应该告诉你的,我希望他们告诉你) 当你将频率乘以声音或者
140.or light, you get a constant.
光的波长,你将得到一个常量。
141.And that constant is the speed of sound.
而这个常量就是音速。
142.So in order to measure the speed of sound, all I’ve got to do is know its frequency. Well, that’s easy.
所以为了测量音速, 我只要知道频率就可以了。这是非常简单的。
143.I’ve got a frequency counter right here.
我这里有一个频率测量仪。
144.Set it up to around A above A above A. There’s an A, more or less.
将它设置到大致在“A”这里。
145.Now, so I know the frequency.
现在我就知道它的频率了。
146.It’s 1.76 kilohertz. I measure its wavelength.
是1.76千赫兹。我现在测量它的波长。
147.All I need now is to flip on another beam, and the bottom beam is me talking, right?
我只要在示波器上打开另一个输入端, 就是底下的那个输入端,对吗?
148.So anytime I talk, you’d see it on the screen.
所以每次我说话的时候,你可以在屏幕上看见我的声波。
149.I’ll put it over here, and as I move this away from the source, you’ll notice the spiral.
我将它放在这里,然后当我将它从声源那里移开时, 你会注意到波会螺旋形地展开。
150.The slinky moves. We’re going through different nodes of the wave, coming out this way.
这样,贴身移动。我们正在经过波的不同质点, 从这里经过。
151.Those of you who are physicists, I hear you rolling your eyes, but bear with me. (Laughter) To measure the wavelength, all I need to do is measure the distance from here,
对于在座的物理学家们,我知道你们感到很无聊, 但你们也就忍一忍吧。(众笑) 要测量波长, 我只要测量从这里
152.one full wave, over to here.
到这里,一整段波的长度。
153.From here to here is the wavelength of sound.
从这里到这里就是声波的波长。
154.So, I’ll put a measuring tape here, measuring tape here, move it back over to here.
然后,我在这里有一把卷尺,从这里,然后移到这里。
155.I’ve moved the microphone 20 centimeters.
我大概将麦克风移动了20厘米。
156.0.2 meters from here, back to here, 20 centimeters.
也就是0.2米。
157.OK, let’s go back to Mr. Elmo.
然后我们回到Elmo先生这里
158.And we’ll say the frequency is 1.76 kilohertz, or 1760.
我们说频率是1.76千赫,或者1760赫兹。
159.The wavelength was 0.2 meters.
波长是0.2米。
160.Let’s figure out what this is.
(用计算尺计算)我们来看看结果是什么。
161.(Laughter) (Applause) 1.76 times 0.2 over here is 352 meters per second.
(众笑+鼓掌) 1.76乘以0.2得到的是每秒352米。
162.If you look it up in the book, it’s really 343.
假如你在书上去查音速的理论,它的值是343米/秒。
163.But here with kludgy material, and lousy drink — we’ve been able to measure the speed of sound to — Not bad. Pretty good.
尽管我们这里受到陈旧设备以及难喝饮料的影响─ 我们还是能够比较精确地测量 音速了。不坏。
164.All of which comes to what I wanted to say.
这一切归总到我想说的。
165.Go back to this picture of me a million years ago.
回到那幅很久远的照片。
166.It was 1971, the Vietnam War was going on, and I’m like, “Oh my God!”
那是1971年,当时还在打越南战争 我的反应是,“天哪”
167.I’m studying physics: Landau, Lipschitz, Resnick and Halliday.
我在攻读物理:朗道(Landau),Lipschitz,Resnick和Halliday。
168.I’m going home for a midterm. A riot’s going on on campus.
那天我在期中考试结束后回家的路上,遭遇到了校园暴乱。
169.There’s a riot! Hey, Elmo’s done. Off.
那是一个暴乱!噢,Elmo的事情已经结束了,关掉。
170.There’s a riot going on on campus, and the police are chasing me, right?
那是一个在校园里的暴乱, 然后警察在追捕我,
171.I’m walking across campus. Cop comes and looks at me and says, “You! You’re a student.”
我在校园里走。警察过来看到我说 “你!你是个学生。”
172.Pulls out a gun. Goes boom!
他抽出一把枪。“砰”地一声!
173.And a tear gas canister the size of a Pepsi canister goes by my head. Whoosh!
一个可乐罐大小的催泪弹擦着我的头皮飞过。
174.I get a breath of tear gas and I can’t breathe.
我吸到一口催泪瓦斯然后我不能呼吸。
175.This cop comes after me with a rifle.
那个警察拿着一把来福枪来追我。
176.He wants to clunk me over the head!
他想要用枪柄砸我的头!
177.I’m saying, “I got to clear out of here!”
我当时就想:“我一定要逃出去!”
178.I go running across campus quick as I can. I duck into Hayes Hall.
我一路飞奔穿过整个校园。藏到Hayes楼里
179.It’s one of these bell-tower buildings.
Hayes楼是学校里几个钟楼之一。
180.The cop’s chasing me.
那个警察在追我。
181.Chasing me up the first floor, second floor, third floor.
从一楼追到二楼,三楼。
182.Chases me into this room.
将我逼到一间房间里。
183.The entranceway to the bell tower.
那间房间通向钟塔的门口
184.I slam the door behind me, climb up, go past this place where I see a pendulum ticking.
我将房间的门关紧,顺着钟塔向上爬, 一直爬到钟摆哪里。
185.And I’m thinking, oh yeah, the square root of the length is proportional to its period. (Laughter) I keep climbing up, go back.
我忽然想到,对了, 摆绳长度的平方根和钟摆的周期是成正比的。(众笑) 我继续往上爬,又倒退下来。
186.I go to a place where a dowel splits off.
我爬到钟顶端定位梢分开的地方。
187.There’s a clock, clock, clock, clock.
那里就是一个巨大的钟。
188.The time’s going backwards because I’m inside of it.
时间是对我来说是倒着走的因为我在钟的里面。
189.I’m thinking of Lorenz contractions and Einsteinian relativity.
我的脑海里浮现出洛仑兹收缩和爱因斯坦相对论。
190.I climb up, and there’s this place, way in the back, that you climb up this wooden ladder.
我继续向上爬,在钟的很背后, 有一把木梯。
191.I pop up the top, and there’s a cupola.
我从钟的顶端爬出,那是一个圆顶的顶篷。
192.A dome, one of these ten-foot domes.
一个十尺高的圆顶。
193.I’m looking out and I’m seeing the cops bashing students’ heads, shooting tear gas, and watching students throwing bricks.
我从那里向外看,看到警察们猛击学生们的头部, 放射催泪弹,然后学生们以扔砖块回击。
194.And I’m asking, What am I doing here? Why am I here?
我扪心自问,我在这里干什么?我为什么要在这里?
195.Then I remember what my English teacher in high school said.
然后我回想到我高中英语老师说的话。
196.Namely, that when they cast bells, they write inscriptions on them.
也就是人们在浇铸钟铃的时候, 会在钟上写字。
197.So, I wipe the pigeon manure off one of the bells, and I look at it.
于是我把鸽子屎从钟上抹掉,然后看着钟
198.I’m asking myself, why am I here?
我在问自己,我来到这个世界的意义是什么?
199.So, at this time I’d like to tell you the words inscribed upon the Hayes Hall tower bells: “All truth is one.
所以在这里我要告诉你在Hayes钟楼上 的钟上写着: 万相归一。
200.In this light, may science and religion endeavor here for the steady evolution of mankind, from darkness to light, from narrowness to broad-mindedness, from prejudice to tolerance.
在这道光芒下,愿科学与宗教为了人类稳定的进化而协力, 让人类自黑暗走向光明, 自偏见走向宽容,自狭隘走向开放。
201.It is the voice of life, which calls us to come and learn.”
这是生命的声音,呼唤我们前来,在此学习。
202.Thank you very much.
谢谢大家。
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧