1.This is me. My name is Ben Saunders.
这就是我。我叫本·桑德斯。
2.I specialize in dragging heavy things around cold places.
我特别擅长在寒冷的地方 拖行重物。
3.On May 11th last year, I stood alone at the North geographic Pole.
去年5月11日, 我独自一人站在北极点上。
4.I was the only human being in an area one-and-a-half times the size of America; five-and-a-half thousand square miles.
在那片有一个半美国大的大地上, 在那片5500平方英里的地方, 我是唯一的人类。
5.More than 2,000 people have climbed Everest.
有2000多人登上过珠穆朗玛峰。
6.12 people have stood on the moon.
有12个人曾站立在月球上。
7.Including me, only four people have skied solo to the North Pole.
而包括我在内,只有4个人 曾独自一人滑雪去北极。
8.And I think the reason for that — (Applause) — thank you — I think the reason for that is that it’s — it’s — well, it’s as Chris said, bonkers.
而我认为这是因为 — (鼓掌) — 谢谢 — 我认为这是因为 — 就像克里斯说的那样,犯傻 。(笑声)
9.It’s a journey that is right at the limit of human capability.
这是一段考验人类极限的 旅程。
10.I skied the equivalent of 31 marathons back to back. 800 miles in 10 weeks.
我滑的距离相当于31个马拉松来回, 10周滑了800英里。
11.And I was dragging all the food I needed, the supplies, the equipment, sleeping bag, one change of underwear — everything I needed for nearly three months.
我拖着所有所需的食物, 日用品,装备,睡袋, 和一套换洗的内衣——这些是我在三个月的必需品
12.(Laughter) What we’re going to try and do today, in the 16 and a bit minutes I’ve got left, is to try and answer three questions. The first one is, why?
(笑声) 而在剩下的16分钟多一点的时间里,我们要做的, 就是尝试回答三个问题。第一个:为什么?
13.The second one is, how do you go to the loo at minus 40.
第二个: 你怎样在零下40度的条件下上厕所。
14.”Ben, I’ve read somewhere that at minus 40, exposed skin becomes frostbitten in less than a minute, so how do you answer the call of nature?”
“本,我知道在零下四十度的时候, 暴露的皮肤会在一分钟内冻伤,所以你是怎么解决内急的?”
15.I don’t want to answer these now. I’ll come on to them at the end.
我现在先不回答这个问题,等到最后再告诉你们。
16.Third one: how do you top that? What’s next?
第三个:你是怎样完成的?下一项挑战是什么?
17.It all started back in 2001.
这都要追溯的2001年的时候。
18.My first expedition was with a guy called Pen Hadow — enormously experienced chap.
我第一次探险是和一个叫朋·哈道的人,他极富经验。
19.This was like my polar apprenticeship.
当时,我在他身边就像学徒。
20.We were trying to ski from this group of islands up here, Severnaya Zemlya, to the North Pole.
我们想从这里—— 北地群岛(俄罗斯北部群岛)滑到北极。
21.And the thing that fascinates me about the North Pole, geographic North Pole, is that it’s slap bang in the middle of the sea.
而北极,地理上的北极点,最令我着迷的是 它正好就在北冰洋的正中央。
22.This is about as good as maps get, and to reach it you’ve got to ski literally over the frozen crust, the floating skin of ice on the Artic Ocean.
就好像地图那样精确, 而要到那,你就得真的滑过 那冰冻的雪壳, 北冰洋上漂浮着的冰层。
23.I’d spoken to all the experts.
我咨询过许多专家,
24.I’d read lots of books,I studied maps and charts.
也读过大量的书籍,研究了地图和图表。
25.But I realized on the morning of day one that I had no idea exactly what I’d let myself in for.
但在第一天早上 我对我自己到底陷入了一个什么样的境地, 毫不知晓。
26.I was 23 years old. No one my age had attempted anything like this, and pretty quickly, almost everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong.
我当时23岁。我的同龄人 都不曾尝试过这样的挑战, 而且很快, 几乎所有可能出错的事都出错了。
27.We were attacked by a polar bear on day two.
我们在第二天就被一只北极熊袭击。
28.I had frostbite in my left big toe.
我的左脚大拇指还长了冻疮。
29.We started running very low on food. We were both pretty hungry, losing lots of weight.
我们的食物也所剩无几。饥饿让我们体重大为下降。
30.Some very unusual weather conditions, very difficult ice conditions.
当时的天气状况也极为反常,
31.We had decidedly low-tech communications.
我们当时 毫无疑问只有初级的通讯工具。
32.We couldn’t afford a satellite phone, so we had HF radio.
没钱买卫星电话,所以我们只有高频收音机。
33.You can see two ski poles sticking out of the roof of the tent.
你可以看到两个滑雪杆从帐篷顶伸出来。
34.There’s a wire dangling down either side.
每边都有一根金属线拉下来。
35.That was our HF radio antenna.
那是我们高频收音机的天线。
36.We had less than two hours two-way communication with the outside world in two months.
在两个月内,我们只有少于2小时 的与外界的双向通话时间。
37.Ultimately, we ran out of time.
最关键的是,我们时间不够用。
38.We’d skied 400 miles. We were just over 200 miles left to go to the Pole, and we’d run out of time.
我们滑了400英里,但离北极 还剩200英里的时候,我们就没时间了。
39.We were too late into the summer, the ice was starting to melt, we spoke to the Russian helicopter pilots on the radio, and they said, “Look boys, you’ve run out of time.
夏天已经来临,冰都开始融化了, 我们通过广播同俄罗斯直升机驾驶员通话, 他们说:“看看小伙子们,你们时间不够了。
40.We’ve got to pick you up.”
我们得把你们接上来。”
41.And I felt that I had failed, wholeheartedly.
当时我感觉我彻头彻尾地失败了。
42.I was a failure.
我就是个失败者。
43.The one goal, the one dream I’d had I’d had for as long as I could remember — I hadn’t even come close.
我就这么一个目标, 打记事起就有的这么一个梦想,我却连影子都没摸着。
44.And skiing along that first trip, I had two imaginary video clips that I’d replay over and over again in my mind when the going got tough, just to keep my motivation going.
在那次旅途中,每当旅途变得艰难, 我便在心里来回播放两个镜头, 来激励我不断前行。
45.The first one was reaching the Pole itself.
第一个便是成功抵达北极这件事本身。
46.I could see vividly, I suppose, being filmed out of the door of a helicopter, there was kind of, rock music playing in the background,
我能够绘声绘色地想象我自己, 走出直升飞机的舱门,摇滚乐在背景声中响起,
47.and I had a ski pole with a Union Jack, you know, flying in the wind.
我手握滑雪杆,上挂英国国旗,你知道,随风飘扬。
48.I could see myself sticking the flag in a pole, you know — ah, glorious moment — the music kind of reaching a crescendo.
我甚至能看见自己亲自把国旗插在北极上,你知道, 那是一个光荣的时刻,伴随着背景乐也即将达到高潮。
49.The second video clip that I imagined was getting back to Heathrow airport, and I could see again, vividly, the camera flashbulbs going off,
第二个镜头是 我想像自己马上就要到达希思罗机场, 又是那种身临其境的想象, 照相机闪光不断,
50.the paparazzi, the autograph hunters, the book agents coming to sign me up for a deal.
狗仔队们,索要签名的粉丝们, 要来找我出书的出版商们。
51.And of course, neither of these things happened.
当然,这些都没有发生。
52.We didn’t get to the Pole, and we didn’t have any money to pay anyone to do the PR, so no one had heard of this expedition.
我们没去成北极,也没有挣着钱。 没钱去找人宣传,就没人 知道这次探险。
53.And I got back to Heathrow. My mum was there, my brother was there, my granddad was there — had a little Union Jack — (Laughter) — and that was about it. I went back to live with my mum.
当我回到希思罗,我妈,我哥, 我爷爷,他们都在那,我爷爷还拿着英国国旗,一小面。 (笑声) 就是这样,我回到了我母亲身边。
54.I was physically exhausted, mentally an absolute wreck, considered myself a failure.
我当时精疲力尽, 心灵受到了极大的创伤,认为自己就是失败者。
55.In a huge amount of debt personally to this expedition, and lying on my mum’s sofa, day in day out, watching daytime TV.
还欠了一屁股债。 我成天躺在母亲家的沙发上, 整日看着日间电视节目。
56.My brother sent me a text message, an SMS, it’s — it was a quote from the Simpsons. It said, “You tried your hardest and failed miserably.
我哥给我发了一条短信 是从《辛普森一家》上引的,说:“ 你竭尽全力,却以悲惨失败结局。
57.The lesson is: don’t even try.”
所以,结论是:一开始就别去做。”
58.(Laughter) Fast forward three years. I did eventually get off the sofa, and start planning another expedition. This time, I wanted to go right across, on my own this time,
(笑声) 三年一晃而逝,我最终从沙发上爬了起来, 并且开始计划另一次探险。这次, 我准备独自一人,直接穿越
59.from Russia, at the top of the map, to the North Pole, where the sort of kink in the middle is, and then on to Canada.
地图顶端的俄罗斯, 到地图中间的那个弯的北极那, 然后抵达加拿大。
60.No one has made a complete crossing of the Arctic Ocean on their own.
没有人独自完成横跨北冰洋的壮举。
61.Two Norwegians did it as a team in 2000. No one’s done it solo.
两个挪威人曾组队在2000年完成过,但没有人能独自穿越。
62.Very famous, very accomplished Italian mountaineer, Reinhold Messner, tried it in 1995, and he was rescued after a week.
而享誉盛名,富有成就的意大利登山家, 雷纳德·梅斯纳尔在1995年作出了尝试, 但他却在一周后被救起。
63.He described this expedition as 10 times as dangerous as Everest.
他形容这个旅程 比攀登珠穆朗玛峰还有危险10倍。
64.So for some reason, this was what I wanted to have a crack at, but I knew that even to stand a chance of getting home in one piece,
所以,这大概也是我为什么要试一试的原因, 但我知道,想要安然无恙的回家就已经不容易了,
65.let alone make it across to Canada, I had to take a radical approach.
更不用说还要穿越北冰洋,到达加拿大。 我必须得很激进。
66.This meant everything from perfecting the sawn-off, sub-two-gram toothbrush, to working with one of the world’s leading nutritionists
这意味着我得从熟练使用 专门缩短的,不到两克的牙刷开始做起, 还要于世界上最杰出的营养学家之一合作
67.in developing a completely new, revolutionary nutritional strategy from scratch: 6,000 calories a day.
从零开始,共同制定出一套全新的, 革命性的营养策略—— 6000卡路里一天。
68.And the expedition started in February last year.
去年2月,旅程开始了。
69.Big support team. We had a film crew, a couple of logistics people with us, my girlfriend, a photographer.
我们有一个庞大的支持团队:一个摄影队, 几个后勤人员, 还有我女朋友,她是个摄影师。
70.At first it was pretty sensible. We flew British Airways to Moscow.
一开始进展得挺顺利。我们乘英航飞到莫斯科。
71.The next bit in Siberia to Krasnoyarsk, on a Russian internal airline called KrasAir, spelled K-R-A-S.
接下来是从塞伯利亚到克拉斯诺雅茨克的短暂飞行, 乘坐的是俄罗斯国内的一家航班叫KrasAir(发音很象坠机),(笑声) K-R-A-S
72.The next bit, we’d chartered a pretty elderly Russian plane to fly us up to a town called Khatanga, which was the sort of last bit of civilization.
下一段路,我们租了一架俄国的老爷机, 飞到一个叫Khatanga的镇, 那应该算是最后一片有人烟的地带了。
73.Our cameraman, who it turned out was a pretty nervous flyer at the best of times, actually asked the pilot, before we got on the plane, how long this flight would take,
而我们的摄影师,一个在最好的条件下乘飞机也会犯晕的人, 在上飞机前跑去问飞行员,我们得飞多久才能着陆,
74.and the pilot — Russian pilot — completely deadpan, replied, replied, six hours — if we live.
而那个俄国飞行员毫无表情地回答道, 6个小时——如果我们活着到达的话。
75.(Laughter) We got to Khatanga.
(笑声) 我们就这样到了Khatanga.
76.I think the joke is that Khatanga isn’t the end of the world, but you can see it from there.
开句玩笑,Khatanga并不是世界的尽头, 但是从那里你可以看得见世界的尽头。
77.(Laughter) It was supposed to be an overnight stay. We were stuck there for 10 days.
(笑声) 本来我们只准备待一个晚上。结果最后被困在那里10天。
78.There was a kind of vodka-fueled pay dispute between the helicopter pilots and the people that owned the helicopter, so we were stuck. We couldn’t move.
原因是伏特加酒醉后的报酬纠纷 在直升飞机飞行员和机主之间, 所以我们被困住了。哪儿也去不了。
79.Finally, morning of day 11, we got the all-clear, loaded up the helicopters — two helicopters flying in tandem — dropped me off at the edge of the pack ice.
最终,第11天早晨,我们解决了所有的问题。 把东西装上直升机。两架直升机一起飞到 冻结冰层边沿,在那里将我放下。
80.We had a frantic sort of 45 minutes of filming, photography, while the helicopter was still there, I did an interview on the satellite phone,
我们拍摄了一个美妙的45分钟短片, 还有摄影。当直升机还在那里, 我通过卫星电话接受了采访,
81.and then everyone else climbed back into the helicopter, wham, the door closed, and I was alone.
然后其他的所有人登上直升机, 砰的一下,飞机舱门关上了,留下了我一个人。
82.And I don’t know if words will ever quite do that moment justice.
现在我不知道文字是否能够还原那一刻的真实。
83.All I could think about was running back up to the door, banging on the door, and saying, “Look guys, I haven’t quite thought this through.”
我当时满脑子就是走回机舱门, 砰砰砰打门,然后说:”好吧诸位, 我其实还没下决心。“
84.(Laughter) To make things worse, you can just see the white dot up at the top right hand side of the screen; that’s a full moon.
(笑声) 更加糟糕的是,你可以看这个白点, 在屏幕的右上方;那是满月。
85.Because we’d been held up in Russia, of course, the full moon brings the highest and lowest tides; when you’re standing on the frozen surface of the sea,
因为我们在俄罗斯被耽搁了一阵子,当然, 满月带来最大或最小的潮汐; 当你站在结冰的海洋表面时,
86.high and low tides generally mean that interesting things are going to happen — the ice is going to start moving around a bit.
最高或最低的潮汐一般意味着 有趣的事情将要发生了–冰面将会小幅的移动。
87.I was, you can see there, pulling two sledges.
我当时,正如你们所见,正在拖着两个雪橇。
88.Grand total in all, 95 days of food and fuel, 180 kilos — that’s almost exactly 400 pounds.
95天食物和燃料的总重量, 是180千克–大概是400磅重。
89.When the ice was flat or flattish, I could just about pull both.
当冰面是水平或者几乎水平时, 我可以同时拖拽两个雪橇。
90.When the ice wasn’t flat, I didn’t have a hope in hell.
当冰面不是水平时,我一点希望也没有。
91.I had to pull one, leave it, and go back and get the other one.
我只能先拖一个,然后回头再拖另外一个。
92.Literally scrambling through what’s called pressure ice — the ice had been smashed up under the pressure of the currents of the ocean,
准确的说,我翻越的是这些所谓的起伏冰 — 来自风,潮汐和洋流的压力
93.the wind and the tides.
把冰挤碎了。
94.NASA described the ice conditions last year as the worst since records began.
NASA 形容去年冰层的情况是有记载以来最恶劣的。
95.And it’s always drifting. The pack ice is always drifting.
而且冰层总是在飘移。
96.I was skiing into headwinds for nine out of the 10 weeks I was alone last year, and I was drifting backwards most of the time.
去年那整个10周我一个人滑雪时, 我顶风滑行了9周。 大多数时间我被冰层带着向后移动
97.My record was minus 2.5 miles.
我的记录是负2.5英里。
98.I got up in the morning, took the tent down, skied north for seven and a half hours, put the tent up, and I was two and a half miles further back
我早晨起来,收起帐篷,向北滑行了7个半小时, 支起帐篷,然后发现从出发的地方开始算,
99.than when I’d started.
我反而退后了2.5英里。
100.I literally couldn’t keep up with the drift of the ice.
真是像逆水行舟,我往前滑的速度还赶不上冰层往后漂的快。
101.(Video): So it’s day 22.
(录像:) 今天是第22天。
102.I’m lying in the tent, getting ready to go.
我正在帐篷里,准备出发。
103.The weather is just appalling — oh, drifted back about five miles in the last — last night.
天气很糟糕 — 昨晚上 冰面往后移了5英里。
104.Later in the expedition, the problem was no longer the ice.
在探险的后期,冰不再是问题。
105.It was a lack of ice — open water.
因为没有什么冰了 — (全是)开阔的水面。
106.I knew this was happening. I knew the Artic was warming.
我就料到这会发生。 我知道北极正在变暖。
107.I knew there was more open water. And I had a secret weapon up my sleeve.
我料到了这里将会出现开阔水域,所以我准备了秘密武器。
108.This was my little bit of bio-mimicry.
这里有一些关于仿生学的知识。
109.Polar bears on the Artic Ocean move in dead straight lines.
北极熊在北冰洋只知道向前走。
110.If they come to water, they’ll climb in, swim across it.
如果它们遇见水面,它们会游过去。
111.So we had a dry suit developed — I worked with a team in Norway — based on a sort of survival suit — I suppose, that helicopter pilots would wear —
所以我们设计了一套潜水衣服–我们和来自挪威的科学小组合作– 基于救生衣的原理– 我想,直升机飞行员也许会用得着–
112.that I could climb into. It would go on over my boots, over my mittens, it would pull up around my face,and seal pretty tightly around my face.
我钻进外套里,它会从我的靴子盖到手套, 还可以拉上来圈住我的脸,在脸边上一圈贴的严严实实的。
113.And this meant I could ski over very thin ice, and if I fell through, it wasn’t the end of the world.
这意味着我可以在非常薄的冰层上面 滑雪。 如果我掉了下去,也不会是世界末日。
114.It also meant, if the worst came to the worst, I could actually jump in and swim across and drag the sledge over after me.
这同样意味着,即使到了最坏的情况。 我能跳到水中然后游过去 还能够拖着我的雪橇。
115.Some pretty radical technology, a radical approach –but it worked perfectly.
一个相当激进的技术, 激进的方式–但很好用。
116.Another exciting thing we did last year was with communications technology.
我们去年做的另外一件令人激动的事情 是跟通信技术有关的。
117.In 1912, Shackleton’s Endurance expedition — there was — one of his crew, a guy called Thomas Orde-Lees.
在1912年,在沙克尔顿的耐久征途中– 有一个– 他的一个队员,叫做托马斯 奥德-莱斯。
118.He said, “The explorers of 2012, if there is anything left to explore, will no doubt carry pocket wireless telephones fitted with wireless telescopes.”
他说,“对于2012年的探险者们, 如果还有什么地方没有人探险的话, 毫无疑问会装备有小型手机 配上无线望远镜。”
119.Well, Orde-Lees guessed wrong by about eight years. This is my pocket wireless telephone, Iridium satellite phone.
好吧,奥德-莱斯算错了大概8年。这是我的小型无线手机, 铱星卫星电话。
120.The wireless telescope was a digital camera I had tucked in my pocket.
所谓的无线望远镜是我的装在口袋里的数码相机。
121.And every single day of the 72 days I was alone on the ice, I was blogging live from my tent, sending back a little diary piece, sending back information on the distance I’d covered —
在我身处极地的72天中的每一天, 我在帐篷里更新我的博客, 发送一些日记的片段, 发送这些我走过的路程的信息 —
122.the ice conditions, the temperature — and a daily photo.
冰层的情况,温度 — 以及每日照片。
123.Remember, 2001, we had less than two hours radio contact with the outside world.
记住,在2001年, 我们和外界时间交流仅有不到两小时的无线电交流。
124.Last year, blogging live from an expedition that’s been described as 10 times as dangerous as Everest.
而就在去年,我可以实时更新探险博客 在这个被称作比珠穆朗玛峰还艰险十倍的地方。
125.It wasn’t all high tech. This is navigating in what’s called a whiteout.
这不全是为了享受高科技,在所谓的雪盲环境里, (更重要的)是导航功能。
126.When you get lots of mist, low cloud, the wind starts blowing the snow up.
当雾气来临,云层压低,风把雪花吹起。
127.You can’t see an awful lot. You can just see, there’s a yellow ribbon tied to one of my ski poles.
能见度很低。大家可以看到(屏幕),这里有一条黄色的 带子系在我的一个滑雪杆上。
128.I’d navigate using the direction of the wind.
我全靠风向确定前进的方向。
129.So, kind of a weird combination of high tech and low tech.
总而言之,高科技和原始方法的奇怪结合。
130.I got to the Pole on the 11th of May.
5月11日,我到达极点。
131.It took me 68 days to get there from Russia, and there is nothing there.
从俄罗斯出发,我花了68天走到这里, 结果看到白茫茫一片大地真干净。
132.(Laughter).
(笑声)。
133.There isn’t even a pole at the Pole. There’s nothing there, purely because it’s sea ice. It’s drifting.
在极点甚至不是一个(固定的)点。什么都没有。 完全因为这里都是漂浮在海洋上的冰,随时在移动。
134.Stick a flag there, leave it there, pretty soon it will drift off, usually towards Canada or Greenland.
在这里插一个旗子,放在这里不久就会随着冰层漂走,通常是朝向加拿大或者格林兰的方向。
135.I knew this, but I was expecting something.
我预料到了这些,但我多少还是在期待着看见一些东西。
136.Strange mixture of feelings: it was extremely warm by this stage, a lot of open water around, and of course, elated that I’d got there under my own steam,
奇怪的情绪混杂着:在那里其实是比较暖和的, 周围很多开阔水面, 通过自己的力量到达极点当然是鼓舞万分的,
137.but starting to really realize that my chances of making it all the way across to Canada, which was still 400 miles away, were slim at best.
但我也开始意识到 我要从北极走回加拿大的成功率, 差不多400英里的路程, 即使在最好的情况下,也是很小的。
138.The only proof I’ve got that I was there is a blurry photo of my GPS, the little satellite navigation gadget.
我到达那里的唯一证据 是我这张不清晰的GPS的照片,这个小卫星定位仪器。
139.You can just see — there’s a nine and a string of zeros here.
你们可以从这里看到(屏幕) — 这里有个9还有一串0.
140.Ninety degrees north — that is slap bang in the North Pole.
北纬90度 — 突然就到了是北极。
141.I took a photo of that. Sat down on my sledge. Did a sort of video diary piece.
我坐在我的雪橇上,给GPS照了张相,录了一小段有声日记。
142.Took a few photos. I got my satellite phone out.
照了几张相。我拿出卫星电话。
143.I warmed the battery up in my armpit.
在腋下把电池捂热。
144.I dialed three numbers. I dialed my mum.
我拨了三个号码。我打了一个给我母亲,
145.I dialed my girlfriend. I dialed the CEO of my sponsor.
打了一个给我女朋友,还打了一个给赞助商的总裁。
146.And I got three voicemails.
结果我接到了三个电话留言提示(都没人接)。
147.(Laughter) (Video): Ninety.
(笑声) (录像):90.
148.It’s a special feeling.
奇特的感觉。
149.The entire planet is rotating beneath my feet.
整个星球 都在旋转 于我的脚下。
150.The — the whole world underneath me.
这个世界 — 在我脚下。
151.I finally got through to my mum. She was at the queue of the supermarket.
我终于打通了母亲的电话,她正在超市排队。
152.She started crying. She asked me to call her back.
她开始哭,还让我待会儿在打给她。
153.(Laughter).
(笑声)
154.I skied on for a week past the Pole.
我越过了北极点滑行一周。
155.I wanted to get as close to Canada as I could before conditions just got too dangerous to continue.
我想在情况变坏到无法前进之前 尽可能地靠近加拿大。
156.This was the last day I had on the ice.
这是我在冰上的最后一天。
157.When I spoke to the — my project management team, they said, “Look, Ben, conditions are getting too dangerous.
当我和我的管理团队通话时, 他们说,“看,本,情况越来越糟。
158.There are huge areas of open water just south of your position.
在你的南边有大片的开阔水面。
159.We’d like to pick you up.
我们得把你接上飞机了。
160.Ben, could you please look for an airstrip?”
本,你能不能找一块飞机着陆地?“
161.This was the view outside my tent when I had this fateful phone call.
当我接到这个关键的电话 这是我的帐篷外面的场景 。(没有合适的着陆点)
162.I’d never tried to build an airstrip before. Tony, the expedition manager, he said, “Look Ben, you’ve got to find 500 meters of flat, thick safe ice.”
我从没尝试找过飞机着陆地。托尼,这次探险的总管,他说, “本,你得找到500米长的 平坦,厚实,安全的冰层。“
163.The only bit of ice I could find — it took me 36 hours of skiing around trying to find an airstrip — was exactly 473 meters. I could measure it with my skis.
这是仅有的一小块冰我能找到的 — 就这还花费了我36小时滑行找寻 — 整整473米长。我能用我的滑雪板测量。
164.I didn’t tell Tony that. I didn’t tell the pilots that.
我没有告诉托尼这个,我也没有告诉飞行员这个。
165.I thought, it’ll have to do.
我盘算着,应该能行。
166.(Video): Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
(录像): 嗷,嗷,嗷,嗷,嗷,嗷。
167.It just about worked. A pretty dramatic landing — the plane actually passed over four times, and I was a bit worried it wasn’t going to land at all.
刚刚好,很惊险的着陆 — 飞机实际上飞过了4次, 我有点担心它根本就不会试着着陆。
168.The pilot, I knew, was called Troy. I was expecting someone called Troy that did this for a living to be a pretty tough kind of guy.
飞行员,我知道叫做特洛伊。我想名叫特洛伊的人 干这种行当的,应该是个硬汉。
169.I was bawling my eyes out by the time the plane landed; a pretty emotional moment.
看着飞机着陆时我如释重负的痛哭了。 真是一个很感性的时刻。
170.So I thought, I’ve got to compose myself for Troy.
接着我想,我至少应该平静下来,给特洛伊留个好印象。