BeauLotto_错觉中的视觉真相【中英文对照】

1.I want to start with a game.
我想以一个游戏开始今天的演讲
2.And to win this game, all you have to do is see the reality that’s in front of you as it really is. All right?
要赢这个游戏 你只要看清眼前的一切 一切据实而观,好吗?
3.So, we have two panels here, of colored dots.
这里有两个板子 上面有些彩色圆点
4.And one of those dots is the same in the two  panels. Okay?
这两个板子上的圆点中有一对是相同的 清楚了吗?
5.And you have to tell me which one.
你要告诉我是哪一对
6.Now, narrow it down to the gray one, the green one, and, say, the orange one.
现在,将范围缩小到 灰色的,绿色的和橙色的
7.So, by a show of hands — we’ll start with easiest one — Show of hands: how many people think it’s the gray one?
大家举手示意吧,我们从最简单的开始 多少人认为是灰色的?
8.Really? Okay.
真的吗?好的
9.How many people think it’s the green one?
有多少人认为是绿色的?
10.And how many people think it’s the orange one?
那么又有多少人认为是橙色的?
11.Pretty even split.
人数都差不多
12.Let’s find out what the reality is.
让我们来看看真相。
13.Here is the orange one.
这是橙色的。
14.(Laughter) Here is the green one.
(笑) 绿色的。
15.And here is the gray one.
还有灰色的。
16.(Laughter) So, for each of you who saw that, you’re a complete realist. All right?
(笑) 你们这些猜对的人是纯粹的现实主义者
17.(Laughter) So, this pretty amazing, actually, isn’t it?
(笑) 这挺神奇的,对吧?
18.Because nearly every living system has evolved the ability to detect light in one way or another.
因为几乎所有的生命系统 都演变出了对光线的感应能力
19.So, for us, seeing color is one of the simplest things the brain does.
所以对我们的大脑来说,看见颜色是最简单的事情
20.And yet, even at this most fundamental level, context is everything.
然而,即便是在这个最基础的阶段 背景决定一切
21.What I want to talk about is not that context is everything, but why is context everything.
其实我想谈论的并不是“背景决定了一切”这件事 而是“为什么背景决定了一切”。
22.Because it’s answering that question that tells us not only why we see what we do, but who we are as individuals, and who we are as a society.
因为这不仅回答了关于 为什么我们可以看到我们所做的疑问, 还告诉我们作为一个个体, 在社会中扮演怎样的角色
23.But first, we have to ask another question, which is, “What is color for?”
但首先,我们要提出另外一个问题, 那就是,“颜色是用来做什么的”。
24.And instead of telling you, I’ll just show you.
与其讲给你们听不如演示给你们看
25.What you see here is a jungle scene.
你所看到的是丛林的一景
26.And you see the surfaces according to the amount of light that those surfaces reflect.
你是根据这些表面反射光线的量 来看它的表面的。
27.Now, can any of you see the predator that’s about to jump out at you?
现在谁能看见那个正朝你们扑来的凶猛野兽?
28.And if you haven’t seen it yet, you’re dead. Right?
如果你还没看见它就必死无疑了,对吧。
29.(Laughter) Can anyone see it? Anyone? No?
(笑) 有人能看见吗?没有?
30.Now, let’s see the surfaces according the quality of light that they reflect.
现在,让我们来根据这些表面反射光线的性质来观察它。
31.And now you see it.
现在你能看见了吧。
32.So, color enables us to see the similarities and differences between surfaces, according to the full spectrum of light that they reflect.
所以颜色让我们 能够分辨外观上的异同 是根据他们表面反射的全部光谱
33.But what you’ve just done is, in many respects, mathematically impossible.
但你刚刚所做的这些,从很多层面上是无法用数学方法论证的。
34.Why? Because, as Berkeley tells us, we have no direct access to our physical world, other than through our senses.
为什么?因为正如伯克利告诉我们的, 我们没有进入外界世界的直接的方法 只能通过我们的感官。
35.And the light that falls on to our eyes is determined by multiple things in the world — not only the color of objects, but also the color of their illumination,
而我们眼睛所接收的光线 是由很多因素决定的– 不仅是物体的颜色, 还有它们发出的光的颜色,
36.and the color of the space between us and those objects.
以及我们与物体之间空间的颜色。
37.You vary any one of those parameters, and you’ll change the color of the light that falls onto your eye.
你改变其中的任何一个参量 就会改变那些进入你眼睛的光的颜色
38.This is a huge problem because it means that the same image could have an infinite number of possible real-world sources.
这是一个很重要的问题,因为这代表 相同的影像可能来自于无限多的 真实世界的像源
39.So let me show you what I mean. Imagine that this is the back of your eye.
让我来演示一下我所想表达的。试想一下这是你眼睛的背部
40.And these are two projections from the world.
这里有两个来自外界的投影
41.They are identical in every single way.
它们完全相同
42.Identical in shape, size, spectral content.
在形状上,大小上,光谱含量上全部完全相同。
43.They are the same, as far as your eye is concerned.
正如你肉眼所见,它们一模一样
44.And yet they come from completely different sources.
但是它们却来自于完全相异的像源。
45.The one on the right comes from a yellow surface, in shadow, oriented facing the left, viewed through a pinkish medium.
右边的这个 来自于一个黄色的表面, 在阴影下,面向左侧 通过一个粉红色的媒介物观察到的。
46.The one on the left comes from an orange surface, under direct light, facing to the right, viewed through a sort of a blueish medium.
左边的这个来自于一个橙色的表面, 在直射光之下,面朝右侧, 通过一个蓝色的媒介物观察到的。
47.Completely different meanings, giving rise to the exact same retinal information.
完全不同的意义, 却造成了完全相同的视网膜信息。
48.And yet it’s only the retinal information that we get.
并且这些仅有的视网膜信息是 所有我们能得到的。
49.So how on earth do we even see?
那么我们究竟是如何看的呢?
50.So, if you remember anything in this next 18 minutes, remember this: that the light that falls on to your eye, sensory information, is meaningless.
如果你要记住以下18分钟内的任何事情, 记住这个:这些进入你眼睛的光, 感官信息是完全无意义的。
51.Because it could mean literally anything.
因为它可以意味任何事情
52.And what’s true for sensory information is true for information generally.
感官信息就如同一般的信息,
53.There is no inherent meaning in information.
本身并没有意义。
54.It’s what we do with that information that matters.
我们如何运用这些信息才是最重要的。
55.So, how do we see? Well, we see by learning to see.
那么,我们如何看?我们学习如何看然后看。
56.So, the brain evolved the mechanisms for finding patterns, finding relationships in information, and associating those relationships
因此,我们的大脑进化了这种寻找模式的机制, 寻找信息间的关系, 并且将这些关系
57.with a behavioral meaning, a significance, by interacting with the world.
和行为上的意义 即与外界的互动联系起来。
58.We’re very aware of this in the form of more cognitive attributes, like language.
我们很清楚地意识到这种 较偏向于认知性质的形式,如同语言。
59.So, I’m going to give you some letter strings. And I want you to read them out for me, if you can.
现在我将给你们一些字母串并且希望你们为我读出来, 如果你们可以的话。
60.Audience: “Can you read this?”
观众:“你可以读这个吗?”
61.”You are not reading this.”
“你并没有在读这个”
62.”What are you reading?”
“你在读什么?”
63.Beau Lotto: “What are you reading?” Half the letters are missing. Right?
包拉托:”你们在读什么?” 有一半的字母不见了,对吧?
64.There is no a priori reason why an “H”  has to go between that “W” and “A.”
这里没有一个优先的原因为什么”H”要在 “W”和”A”之间。
65.But you put one there. Why?
但是你把它放在了那里。为什么呢?
66.Because in the statistics of your past experience it would have been useful to do so. So you do so again.
因为根据你过去经验的统计 那样做会很有用。所以你再次这样做了。
67.And yet you don’t put a letter after that first “T.”
然而你并没有在第一个“T”之前放任何一个字母,
68.Why? Because it wouldn’t have been useful in the past.
为什么?因为过去这样做没有用。
69.So you don’t do it again.
所以你不会再这样做。
70.So let me show you how quickly our brains can redefine normality, even at the simplest thing the brain does, which is color.
那么让我来给你演示一下你的大脑能够多么迅速的重新定义常态, 甚至于大脑所做的最简单的事情,也就是颜色。
71.So, if I could have the lights down up here.
如果我将这里的灯关掉
72.I want you to first notice that those two desert scenes are physically the same.
我希望你首先注视到这两个沙漠的景象是完全一样的
73.One is simply the flipping of the other. Okay?
一个是另外一个的翻转,好吗?
74.Now I want you to look at that dot between the green and the red. Okay?
现在我要你们看着那个 在绿色和红色之间的圆点,好吗?
75.And I want you to stare at that dot. Don’t look anywhere else.
而且我希望你们盯着这个圆点,不要看其它的地方
76.And we’re going to look at that for about 30 seconds, which is a bit of a killer in an 18-minute talk.
我们将看着它大约30秒, 这就是这18分钟演讲中最迷人的一部分
77.(Laughter) But I really want you to learn.
(笑) 但是我其实是希望你们去学习
78.And I’ll tell you — don’t look anywhere else — and I’ll tell you what’s happening inside your head.
我将告诉你–不要看任何其它的地方– 我将告诉你在你的脑袋里面都发生了些什么。
79.Your brain is learning. And it’s learning that the right side of its visual field is under red illumination; the left side of its visual field  is under green illumination.
你的大脑在学习。它在学习视野的右边 是在红色的照明之下; 视野左边是在绿色的照明之下。
80.That’s what it’s learning. Okay?
这就是它正在学习的。是吧?
81.Now, when I tell you, I want you to look at the dot between the two desert scenes.
现在,当我告诉你,我希望你看这个在两个沙漠图片中间的圆点。
82.So why don’t you do that now?
现在为何不做做看?
83.(Laughter) Can I have the lights up again?
(笑) 可以把灯打开吗?
84.I take it from your response they don’t look the same anymore. Right?
我从你们的反应中得知它们不再看起来一致了,对吗?
85.(Applause) Why? Because your brain is seeing that same information as if the right one is still under red light, and the left one is still under green light.
(鼓掌) 为什么?因为你们的大脑正在以相同的信息看 正如同右边的仍然在红色灯的照射下, 左边的仍然在绿色灯的照射下。
86.That’s your new normal.
那就是你的新常态。
87.So, what does this mean for context?
那么,这对背景意味着什么呢?
88.It means that I can take these two identical squares, and I can put them in light and dark surrounds.
这意味着我可以将这两个完全相同的正方形, 将它们放入明亮的和黑暗的环境当中,
89.And now the one on the dark surround looks lighter than the one on the light surround.
现在这个在黑暗环境中的看起来比另一个在灯光环境下的要明亮些
90.What’s significant is not simply the light and dark surrounds that matter.
重要的不是简单的明暗环境
91.It’s what those light and dark surrounds meant for your behavior in the past.
而是这些明暗环境对你过去的行为意味着什么
92.So I’ll show you what I mean. Here we have that exact same illusion.
我来给你演示一下是什么意思。这里我们有 一模一样的错觉。
93.We have two identical tiles, on the left, one in a dark surround, one in a light surround.
在左边有两个完全一样的瓷砖 一个在黑暗的环境中,另一和在明亮的环境中。
94.And the same thing over on the right.
右边也是同样的情况
95.Now, what I’m going to do is I’m going to review those two scenes.
现在,我将检视这两幅景象
96.But I’m not going to change anything within those boxes, except their meaning.
但是我并不会改变这些盒子中的任何东西, 除了它们的意义。
97.And see what happens to your perception.
然后看看你的感知发生了什么变化
98.Notice that on the left the two tiles look nearly completely opposite: one very white and one very dark.
注视左边的 两个瓷砖看起来几乎完全相反: 一个十分的明亮一个十分的黑暗
99.Alright? Whereas, on the right, the two tiles look nearly the same.
是不?然而,在左边的 这两个瓷砖看起来几乎完全相同。
100.And yet there is still one on a dark surround, and one on a light surround.
但是它们仍然是一个在暗环境中,另一个在明环境中。
101.Why? Because if the tile in that shadow were in fact in shadow, and reflecting the same amount of light to your eye as the one outside the shadow,
为什么?因为如果在那个阴影的瓷砖 是在真的阴影中的话, 它所反射出的到你的眼睛的光 和另一个在阴影外的瓷砖反射的光将是同量
102.it would have to be more reflective — just the laws of physics.
那么它应该反射出更多的光–这正是物理定理
103.So you see it that way.
所以你看见正是那种一明一暗的景象。
104.Whereas on the right, the information is consistent with those two tiles being under the same light.
然而在右边,那些信息是持续一致的 即这两个瓷砖在同样的照明下。
105.If they are under the same light, reflecting the same amount of light to your eye, then they must be equally reflective.
如果他们在同样的照明下,反射同量的光 向你的眼睛, 那么他们必定有同等的反射力
106.So you see it that way.
所以你所看到的就是同样明暗的两个瓷砖的景象
107.Which means we can bring all this information together to create some incredibly strong illusions.
也就是意味着我们可以将所有这些信息组合在一起 创造出不可思议的强烈的错觉
108.This is one I made a few years ago.
这个是我多年前做的一张图
109.And you’ll notice you see a dark brown tile at the top, and a bright orange tile at the side.
你可以发现一个深褐色的瓷砖在顶部 和一个亮橙色的瓷砖在侧面
110.That is your perceptual reality. The physical reality is that those two tiles are the same.
这是你感知的事实。但真实现实是 这两个瓷砖实际上是一样的。
111.Here you see four gray tiles on your left, seven gray tiles on the right.
你可以看见四个灰色的瓷砖在左边, 七个灰色的侧转在右边
112.I’m not going to change those tiles at all.
我将不会对这些瓷砖做任何变化
113.But I’m going to reveal the rest of the scene.
但是我将显示其余的画面
114.And see what happens to your perception.
然后看看你的感知发生了什么变化
115.The four blue tiles on the left are gray.
这四个在左边的蓝色瓷砖是灰色的
116.The seven yellow tiles on the right are also gray.
这七个在右边的黄色瓷砖也是灰色
117.They are the same. Okay?
他们是相同的,对吧?
118.Don’t believe me? Let’s watch it again.
你不相信我?让我们再来看一看
119.What’s true for color is also true for complex perceptions of motion.
对于颜色适用的道理也同样对动态的复杂感知适用
120.So here we have — let’s turn this around — a diamond.
这儿我们有– 让我们将这个菱形转动起来
121.And what I’m going to do is, I’m going to hold it here, and I’m going to spin it.
接下来我将做什么呢,我将把它拿到这里, 然后我将旋转它
122.And for all of you, you’ll see it probably spinning this direction.
你们大家都会看到它向着这个方向旋转
123.Now I want you to keep looking at it.
现在我要你们持续看着它
124.Move your eyes around, blink, maybe close one eye.
转你的眼球,眨眼,或者闭上一只眼
125.And suddenly it will flip, and start spinning the opposite direction.
突然间他就翻转了,然后向着相反的方向旋转
126.Yes? Raise your hand if you got that. Yes?
是吗?如果你得到同样的结果就请举手。是吧?
127.Keep blinking. Every time you blink it will switch. Alright?
继续眨眼睛。每眨一次眼睛它就会切换一次,对吧?
128.So I can ask you, which direction is it rotating?
所以我问你,它在向哪个方向旋转?
129.How do you know?
你如何得知?
130.Your brain doesn’t know. Because both are equally likely.
你的大脑不知道。因为两种可能性都很相似
131.So depending on where it looks, it flips between the two possibilities.
根据它从哪里看,它翻转在 两种可能性之间
132.Are we the only ones that see illusions?
我们是唯一看到错觉的吗?
133.The answer to this question is no.
答案是否定的
134.Even the beautiful bumble bee, with its mere one million brain cells, which is 250 times fewer cells than you have in one retina, sees illusions, does the most complicated things
即便是美丽的大黄蜂, 有着仅仅一百万个脑细胞 比你一个视网膜上细胞的两百五十分之一还要少 也一样看到错觉,即便它们处理最复杂的事情
135.that even our most sophisticated computers can’t do.
甚至于我们最精密的电脑都做不到。
136.So in my lab, we of course work on bumblebees.
在我的实验室里,我们当然研究大黄蜂
137.Because we can completely control their experience, and see how that alters the architecture of their brain.
因为我们可以完全的控制它们的经验 并且观察那些经验如何改变它们大脑的结构
138.And we do this in what we call the Bee Matrix.
我们所做的这个叫做蜜蜂矩阵
139.And here you have the hive. You can see the queen bee, that large bee in the middle there. Those are all her daughters, the eggs.
这有蜂房。你可以看到蜂后, 在中间的那只大的蜜蜂。这些卵是她的女儿们,
140.And they go back and forth between this hive and the arena, via this tube.
它们通过这个管子在蜂房 和活动场所之间来回飞动
141.And you’ll see one of the bees come out here.
你将看到其中有一只蜜蜂从这里出来
142.You see how she has a little number on her?
你看到它是如何得到一个编号的啊?
143.Yeah there is another one coming out. She has another number on her.
这里又有一只蜜蜂出来了。它身上有另外一个编号
144.Now, they are not born that way. Right?
它们不是生来就有编号的,对吧?
145.We pull them out, put them in the fridge, and they fall asleep.
我们把它们拖出来,放到冰箱里,令它们睡着
146.And then you can superglue little numbers on them.
然后你就可以用强力胶把这些小编号粘在它们身上

ted演讲稿中英文对照

AubreydeGrey_我们能够避免老化【中英文对照】

2024-4-6 14:25:45

ted演讲稿中英文对照

BenDunlap_对人生的热情【中英文对照】

2024-4-6 14:27:15

搜索