1.I’m a contemporary artist, and I show in art galleries and museums.
我是一名当代艺术家。我的作品在画廊和博物馆展出。
2.I show a number of photographs and films, but I also make television programs, books, and some advertising, all with the same concept.
我展出过大量的摄影和摄像, 同时我也制作电视节目,书籍和广告。 这些作品都有一个共同的理念,
3.And it’s about our fixation with celebrity and celebrity culture, and the importance of the image.
就是关于我们对名人和名人文化的定位, 以及公众形象的重要性。
4.Celebrity is born of photography.
名人的出身和摄影不可分割。
5.So I’m going to start with how I started with this concept seven years ago, when Princess Diana died.
我将从七年前我是怎样想到这个理念开始讲起, 当时戴安娜王妃刚刚去世。
6.There was sort of a standstill in Britain the day, or the moment of her death, and people decided to mourn her death in a sort of mass way.
她去世的当天或者是那一刻, 英国似乎陷入了停滞, 人们决定大规模地、群众性地哀悼她的逝去。
7.I was fascinated by this phenomenon.
我被这个现象所吸引。
8.So I wondered: could one erase the image of Diana actually quite crudely and physically?
然后我想: 可以有人哪怕只是粗糙地抹去戴安娜的形象么?
9.So I got a gun and started to shoot at the image of Diana.
于是我拿了一把枪,开始对戴安娜的图像射击。
10.But I couldn’t erase this from my memory, and certainly it was not being erased from the public psyche.
但是我不能把她的形象从记忆中抹去, 而且当然它也不会从公众的精神中消失。
11.Momentum was being built.
一种力量已经根植。
12.The press wrote about her death in rather, I felt, pornographic ways, like which bit of artery left which bit of body, and how did she die in the back of the car.
我感觉媒体在用一种有些黄色的方式报道她的去世, 比如哪一部分的动脉离开了身体 或者她是怎样死于车的后座。
13.And I was intrigued by this sort of mass voyeurism.
我对公众的这种窥探心理很感兴趣,
14.So I made these rather gory images.
所以我拍摄了这些有些血淋淋的图片。
15.I then went on wondering whether I could actually replace her image.
我接着考虑我能不能真正地代替她的形象。
16.So I got a look-alike of Diana, and posed her in the right positions and angles, and created something that was in, or existed in, the public imagination.
所以我找了一个和戴安娜长得很像的人, 让她摆成正确的位置和姿势, 根据公众的想象创造了一些图片。
17.So people were wondering, was she going to marry Dodi?
人们想知道,戴安娜当时是不是想和男友Dodi结婚。
18.Was she in love with him?
她是否和Dodi相爱?
19.Was she pregnant? Did she want his baby?
她是不是怀孕了?她是否想要这个孩子?
20.Was she pregnant when she died?
她死时是否已经怀孕?
21.So I created this image of Diana, Dodi and their imaginary mixed-race child.
所以我拍摄了关于戴安娜,Dodi和他们想象中的混血小孩的照片。
22.And this image came out, which caused a huge public outcry at the time.
这张照片公开后受到公众强烈抗议。
23.I then went on to make more comments on the media and press imagery.
然后我评论了媒体形象。
24.So I started making reference to media imagery — made it grainy, shot through doorways and so on, and so forth, to titillate the public or the viewer further,
下面我要开始谈谈媒体形象 媒体用把事件细节化等等方法 来刺激公众或者观看者,
25.in terms of trying to make the viewer more aware of their own voyeurism.
使他们更加意识到自己对名人隐私的窥探欲
26.So this is an image of Diana looking at Camilla kissing her husband.
这张照片是戴安娜看着卡米拉亲吻自己的丈夫。
27.And this was a sequence of images.
这是一个系列的照片。
28.And this gets shown in art galleries like this, as a sequence, and similarly, with the Di-Dodian baby imagery.
它们在一个画廊中按顺序展出。 相似地,这是戴安娜和男友想象中的小孩的照片。
29.This is another art gallery installation.
这是另外一个系列。
30.I’m particularly interested in how you can’t rely on your own perception.
我对公众对自己本身观念的怀疑特别感兴趣。
31.This is Jane Smith and Jo Bloggs, for instance, but you think it’s Camilla and the Queen.
比如说,这是Jane Smith和Jo Bloggs, 但是你认为这是卡米拉和皇后。
32.And I’m fascinated at how what you think is real isn’t necessarily real, and the camera can lie.
我对人们是怎样对一些不尽然真实的东西信以为真的非常着迷, 镜头是可以撒谎的。
33.And it makes it very, very easy with the mass bombardment of imagery to tell untruths.
在媒体的狂轰滥炸下, 它变得格外简单。
34.So I continued to work on this project of how photography seduces us, and is more interesting to look at than the actual real subject matter.
我继续进行这个引诱人们的摄影计划, 它比现实中的事务更加有趣。
35.And at the same time, it removes us from the real subject matter.
与此同时,它把我们带离现实事务。
36.And this acts as sort of a titillating thing.
它们成为了一些刺激人们的东西。
37.So the photograph becomes this teaser, and incites desire and voyeurism.
摄影成为了一种戏弄人的东西,刺激着人们窥探的欲望。
38.What you can’t have, you want more.
人对自己不能拥有的东西想要得更多。
39.So, in the photograph, the real subject doesn’t exist.
所以,在摄影中,真正的主体并不存在。
40.So it makes you want that person more.
这是你更加想要那个人。
41.And that is the way, I think, that celebrity magazines work now.
我想这样一来,名人杂志就可以获得成功。
42.The more pictures you see of these celebrities, the more you feel you know them, but you don’t know them, and you want to know them further.
人们越多地看到名人的照片, 越想了解他们, 但是你并不了解他们, 所以你想更加深入地认识他们。
43.Of course the Queen goes to her stud often to watch her horses …
皇后经常去看她的马
44.watch her horses. (Laughter).
去看她的马(笑声)
45.And then I was sort of making imagery.
我在某种程度上制造了形象。
46.In England there’s an expression: “You can’t imagine the Queen on the loo.”
在英国,有一种说法叫:“你不能想象皇后上厕所的样子。”
47.So I’m trying to penetrate that.
所以我尝试者把它表现出来。
48.Well, here is the image.
就是这张图片。
49.All this imagery was creating a lot of fuss.
所有的这些图片都造成了很多大惊小怪。
50.And I was cited as a disgusting artist. The press were writing about this, you know, giving full pages about how terrible this was,
我被评论成一个令人厌恶的艺术家。 媒体大篇幅地报道这些图片有多么可怕,
51.which I found very interesting that it was going full cycle.
这种媒体渲染的循环让我觉得非常有趣。
52.I was making comments about the press, and about how we know facts and information only by media because we don’t know the real people.
我对媒体们作出评价, 我们对事实和信息的了解仅仅来源于媒体 因为我们并不了解真正的人。
53.Very few of us know the real people.
我们中的很少人了解真正的人。
54.But it was going back into the press, and they were publicizing, effectively, my filthy work.
但是回到那些媒体身上, 他们正在有效地传播我的被批评为丑恶的作品。
55.So these broadsheets, tabloids, debates were being had, all about this work.
各种报章、评论都是关于这些作品。
56.Films were being banned before people actually had to look at the work.
摄影在人们真正看到之前就被禁止。
57.Politicians were getting involved.
政客们参与进来。
58.All sorts of things, great headlines.
各种事情,大的标题。
59.Then suddenly it started to get on front pages.
然后突然它开始登上头版。
60.I was being asked and paid to do front covers.
有人付钱让我做封面摄影。
61.Suddenly I was becoming sort of acceptable, which I found, you know, also fascinating.
突然我就变成了一种可以被接受的人, 这也让我很感兴趣。
62.How at one moment it was disgusting — journalists would lie to me to get a story or a photograph of me, saying my work was wonderful,
为什么在一段时间被厌恶的– 而现在记者们可以向我撒谎以取得我的故事和照片, 说我的作品非常好,
63.and the next minute there were terrible headlines about me.
然而下一分钟又会有关于我的可怕的标题。
64.But then this changed, suddenly.
但是这些瞬间就改变了。
65.I then started to work for magazines and newspapers.
然后我开始为报刊杂志工作。
66.This was, for example, an image that went into Tatler.
例如这张为《闲谈者》提供的图片。
67.This was another newspaper image.
这是另外一张报纸图片。
68.It was an April Fool actually, and to this day, some people think it’s real.
它其实出现在愚人节那天,但一些人以为它是真的
69.I was sitting next to someone at dinner the other day, and they were saying there’s this great image of the Queen sitting outside William Hill.
有一天我和一些人一起吃饭, 他们正在谈论一张关于皇后的不错的图片 当中皇后正在走向William Hill。
70.They thought it was real.
他们以为它是真的。
71.So I was exploring, at the time, the hyperbole of icons, and Diana and Marilyn, and the importance of celebrity in our lives.
我当时就开始探索关于偶像的夸张法, 戴安娜和玛丽莲梦露,名人对人们生活的重要性。
72.How they wheedle their way into the collective psyche without us even knowing, and how that should happen.
他们是怎样把自己融入到公众的心中 让我们毫无察觉 这是怎样发生的
73.I explored actually dressing up as the celebrities myself.
我实际上把自己打扮成了名人。
74.There’s me as Diana.
这是打扮成戴安娜的我
75.I look like the mass murderer Myra Henley in this, I think. (Laughter).
看起来像连环杀人犯Myra Henley (笑声)
76.And me as the Queen.
这是我装扮成的皇后。
77.I then continued on to make a whole body of work about Marilyn, the biggest icon of all.
然后我又制作了一系列玛丽莲梦露 最伟大的偶像。
78.And trying to titillate by shooting through doorways and shutters and so on and so forth.
我尝试了各种摄影技巧比如从门廊中往外摄来刺激大众
79.And only showing certain angles to create a reality that, obviously, is completely constructed.
只展示某些特定的角度,来创造出现实感, 这明显地经过精心制作
80.This is the look-alike, so the crafting elements of this is completely enormous.
这是照片中玛丽莲的扮演者,其中手工的成分是巨大的
81.She looks nothing like Marilyn.
她一点也不像玛丽莲梦露
82.But by the time we’ve made her up and put wigs and makeup on, she looks exactly like Marilyn, to the extent that her husband couldn’t recognize her,
但当我们给她戴上假发和化妆后, 她看上去就和玛丽莲梦露一模一样, 甚至连他的丈夫都认不出来,
83.or recognize this look-alike, in these photographs, which I find quite interesting.
认不出照片中这个扮演者 这十分有趣。
84.So all this work is getting shown in art galleries.
这一系列照片都在画廊中展览。
85.Then I made a book.
我制作了一本书。
86.I was also making a TV series for the BBC at the time.
我曾经为BBC制作了一系列电视节目。
87.Stills from the TV series went into this book.
电视节目中的静态图片也收入了书中。
88.But there was a real legal problem because it looks real, but how do you get over that?
但是这里有一个法律问题,因为照片看上去像真的 但是怎么克服这个问题呢?
89.Because obviously it’s making a comment about our culture right now, that we can’t tell what’s real.
它明显地在评论我们现在的文化, 也就是我们无法辨别真假。
90.How do we know, when we’re looking at something, whether it’s real or not?
当我们看一件东西的时候,怎样才能分辨真假呢?
91.So from my point of view, it’s important to publish it, but at the same time it does cause a confusion — intentional on my behalf —
从我的看法,能发表这些照片是很重要的 但同时它们制造疑惑 代表了我的意愿
92.but problematic for any outlet that I’m working with.
但是对我所合作的媒介来说它们是有问题的。
93.So a big disclaimer is put on everything that I do, and I made sort of narratives about all the European or Brit celebrities and comments about our public figures.
于是我为所有作品都加上了免责声明, 然后我为这些欧洲或者英国名人编写一个小故事 一次评价这些公众人物。
94.You know, what does Tony Blair get up to in private with his fashion guru?
你知道,托尼·布莱尔私底下和他的时尚的老师做了什么?
95.Also dealing with the perceptions that are put about Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, the links that were put about pre-Iraq war.
还有公众的观念关于 本拉登、萨达姆,伊拉克战争前的环节。
96.And what is going to happen to the monarchy because obviously the British public, I think, would prefer William to Charles on the throne.
君主制政体会走向何方 因为明显地,英国公众 更加支持威廉王子而不是查尔斯。
97.And it’s that wish, or that desire, that I suppose I’m dealing with in my work.
我在工作中遭遇的就是这些公众的愿望,或者是欲望。
98.I’m not really interested in the celebrity themselves.
我并不是对名人本人感兴趣。
99.I’m interested in the perception of the celebrity.
我感兴趣的是人们对于名人的看法。
100.And with some look-alikes, they are so good.
用一些很演员来扮演名人,他们表现得很好。
101.You don’t know whether they’re real or not.
人们分辨不出他们是真是假
102.I did an advertising campaign for Schweppes, which is Coca-Cola, and that was very interesting in terms of the legalities.
我曾经做过可口可乐公司Schweppes饮料的广告, 它在法律方面非常有趣。
103.It’s highly commercial.
这是一个高度商业的广告。
104.But it was a difficulty for me because this is my artwork.
但对我来说难度很高,因为它同时也是我的艺术作品。
105.Should I do advertising, at the time?
我当时想,我应不应该制作广告呢?