1.When I’m starting talks like this, I usually do a whole spiel about sustainability because a lot of people out there don’t know what that is.
以前我做这样的演讲的时候 通常是就可持续发展的理念大谈一通 因为很多人根本就不知道那是什么东西
2.This is a crowd that does know what it is, so I’ll like just do like the 60-second crib-note version. Right?
但这个会场里的人大都知道这个概念的意思 所以我就长话短说吧
3.So just bear with me. We’ll go real fast, you know?
我会说得非常快 请大家见谅
4.Fill in the blanks.
没说到的地方就需要你们发挥想象填补空白了
5.So, you know, sustainability, small planet.
我们说可持续发展 地球很小
6.Right? Picture a little Earth, circling around the sun.
想象一个围绕着太阳转的地球
7.You know, about a million years ago, a bunch of monkeys fell out of trees, got a little clever, harnessed fire, invented the printing press,
大约一百万年前的时候 一群猴子从树上爬下来 变聪明了 还学会了使用火 发明了印刷术
8.made, you know, luggage with wheels on it.
制造出带轮子的行李包
9.And, you know, built the society that we now live in.
并且创造出了我们今天生活的这个世界
10.Unfortunately, while this society is, without a doubt, the most prosperous and dynamic the world has ever created, it’s got some major, major flaws.
虽说我们这个社会是人类历史上最繁荣最有活力的社会 但不幸的是 这个社会同样存在着许多非常非常严重的问题
11.One of them is that every society has an ecological footprint.
其中一点就是每一个社会都会留下它的生态足迹
12.It has an amount of impact on the planet that’s measurable.
并且这个足迹对我们星球的影响是可以测量的
13.How much stuff goes through your life, how much waste is left behind you.
你一生中用了多少东西 这些东西中又有多少是以废物的形式遗留下来
14.And we, at the moment, in our society, have a really dramatically unsustainable level of this.
而我们今天在这个世界上 过的是一种极其不可持续的生活
15.We’re using up about five planets.
我们将消耗5个地球的资源
16.If everybody on the planet lived the way we did, we’d need between five, six, seven, some people even say 10 planets to make it.
假如地球上人人都像美国人那样生活的话 有人说是5、6、7 甚至是10个地球 才能支持那样的生活方式
17.Clearly we don’t have 10 planets.
但非常明显 我们没有10个地球
18.Again, you know, mental, visual, 10 planets, one planet, 10 planets, one planet. Right?
设想一下 10个地球 和1个地球 在你的心里 和在脑袋里设想一下
19.We don’t have that. So that’s one problem.
我们没有10个地球 这就带来了问题
20.The second problem is that the planet that we have is being used in wildly unfair ways. Right?
第二个问题是 在我们所拥有的这一个地球上 不同的人对资源的消耗又是及其不平等的
21.North Americans, such as myself, you know, we’re basically sort of wallowing, gluttonous hogs, and we’re eating all sorts of stuff.
大多数北美洲的居民 比如我 就像贪吃的野猪一样 大量的消耗各种资源
22.And then, you know, then you get all the way down to people who live in the Asia-Pacific region, or even more, Africa.
然后你再看看别的地方 看看住在亚太地区以及非洲的人们
23.And people simply do not have enough to survive.
住在那些地方的人连最基本的生存条件都得不到保障呢
24.This is producing all sorts of tensions, all sorts of dynamics that are deeply disturbing.
因此 这就造成了各种紧张关系 各种让人忧心的紧张气氛
25.And there’s more and more people on the way. Right?
而未来的日子里 地球上的人口还会变得越来越多
26.So, this is what the planet’s going to look like in 20 years.
这就是20年后的地球的样貌
27.It’s going to be a pretty crowded place, at least eight billion people.
到那时候 人口密度将变得非常大 至少将达到80亿
28.So to make matters even more difficult, it’s a very young planet.
更糟糕的是,那时候的地球将会变得年轻化
29.A third of the people on this planet are kids.
三分之一的人将会是儿童
30.And those kids are growing up in a completely different way than their parents did, no matter where they live.
这些儿童,不管他们住在哪里 都将在一个和他们父母完全不同的环境下成长
31.They’ve been exposed to this idea of our society, of our prosperity.
他们知道我们这个所谓的发达社会的一些情况
32.And they may not want to live exactly like us.
但是他们不一定会像我们这样过日子
33.They may not want to be Americans, or Brits, or Germans, or South Africans, but they want their own version of a life which is more prosperous, and more dynamic,
他们也许不想像英国人或美国人 或德国人、南非人 那样子过日子 他们想选择一种自己的生活方式 一种更加富裕 更具活力
34.and more, you know, enjoyable.
更多乐趣的方式
35.And all of these things combine to create an enormous amount of torque on the planet.
这一切加起来 将会给世界带来一股强大的张力
36.And if we cannot figure out a way to deal with that torque, we are going to find ourselves more and more and more quickly facing situations which are simply unthinkable.
假如我们找不到应对这股张力的办法 我们就会发现 我们会遇到越来越多不堪设想的局面
37.Everybody in this room has heard the worst-case scenarios.
这个房间里每个人都知道最坏的结局是什么
38.I don’t need to go into that.
我这里就不再重复
39.But I will ask the question, what’s the alternative?
但是我想提出一个问题 有没有另一种结局?
40.And I would say that, at the moment, the alternative is unimaginable.
我个人觉得另一种结局在目前来看是不太可能的
41.You know, so on the one hand we have the unthinkable, on the other hand we have the unimaginable.
所以你看,我们被夹在一个不堪设想 和一个难以设想的结局中
42.We don’t know yet how to build a society which is environmentally sustainable, which is shareable with everybody on the planet, which promotes stability and democracy and human rights,
我们现在还不知道怎么去建设一个社会 一个能够在环境上实现可持续发展的社会 一个人人都可以共享的社会 一个倡导稳定、民主和人权的社会
43.and which is achievable in the time-frame necessary to make it through the challenges we face.
在危机到来之前 可以建成的社会
44.We don’t know how to do this yet.
我们还不知道该怎么做
45.So what’s Worldchanging?
好 那什么是“改变世界”(Worldchanging)呢?
46.Well, Worldchanging you might think of as being a bit of a news service for the unimaginable future.
你可以将其视为 关于难以构想的未来的一个新闻报道
47.You know, what we’re out there doing is looking for examples of tools, models and ideas, which, if widely adopted, would change the game. Right?
我们所做的报道 是关于一些工具、模型、以及创意的报道 这些东西假如能够得到大范围的推广使用 就能改变世界 是不是?
48.A lot of times, when I do a talk like this, I talk about things that everybody in this room I’m sure has already heard of, right, but most people haven’t.
很多时候在做这类演讲的时候 我谈的是这个房间里大多数人都听说过的东西 但是地球上大多数人都还没有
49.So I thought today I’d do something a little different, and talk about what we’re looking for, rather than saying, you know, rather than giving you tried and true examples.
所以我想今天就来点特别的 跟大家一同展望未来,说说我们可以做什么 而不是一味地讨论我们已经做了什么。
50.Talk about the kinds of things we’re scoping out.
去讲述一些我们正在探索中的事物
51.Give you a little peek into our editorial notebook.
让大家看看我们的创意库里都有哪些好的想法
52.And given that I have 13 minutes to do this, this is going to go kind of quick.
因为只有13分钟讲 所以我会讲得非常快
53.So, I don’t know, just stick with me. Right?
大家就跟着我的节拍走 好吗
54.So, first of all, what are we looking for? Bright Green city.
首先我们想要的是什么 是绿色的城市
55.One of the biggest levers that we have in the developed world for changing the impact that we have on the planet is changing the way that we live in cities.
发达国家为改变世界可以做的最有影响力的事情之一 就是 改变我们在城市里的生活方式
56.We’re already an urban planet, that’s especially true in the developed world.
我们这个地球已经走向城市化了 特别是在发达国家
57.And people who live in cities in the developed world tend to be very prosperous, and thus use a lot of stuff.
而生活在发达国家城市里的人口 通常比较富裕 也会消耗较多的资源
58.If we can change the dynamic, by first of all creating cities that are denser and more livable …
假如我们能够改变这一点 去建造一些更紧凑、更适合居住的城市
59.Here, for example, is Vancouver, which if you haven’t been there, you ought to go for a visit. It’s a fabulous city.
比如说在温哥华 假如你没去过 你应该去那儿看看 那是一座非常棒的城市
60.And they are doing density, new density, better than probably anybody else on the planet right now.
他们现在正在建设更为密集的城市 这是一种新式的密集的理念 他们比世界上其他地区做的更好
61.They’re actually managing to talk North Americans out of driving cars, which is a pretty great thing.
他们做到了让人们摆脱驾车出行的习惯 这是一件非常棒的事情
62.So you have density. You also have growth management.
有了密度以后 还需要有增长管理
63.You leave aside what is natural to be natural.
让那些本是自然的东西按照其自身的规律生长
64.This is in Portland. That is an actual development.
这才是真正的发展
65.That land there will remain pasture in perpetuity.
这块地往后都成为牧场
66.They’ve bounded the city with a line.
他们创造了一个城市的界线
67.Nature, city. Nothing changes.
自然 城市 任何东西都没有改变
68.Once you do those things, you can start making all sorts of investments.
一旦你做了这些事情之后 你就可以做大量的投资
69.You can start doing things like, you know, transit systems that actually work to transport people, in effective and reasonably comfortable manners. Right?
做很多其他的事情 比如建立一个名副其实的公交系统 使之既高效 又能给人们带来舒适感
70.You can also start to change what you build.
你也可以改变你建房子的模式
71.This is the Beddington Zero Energy Development in London, which is one of the greenest buildings in the world. It’s a fabulous place.
这是伦敦贝丁顿零能耗发展中心 它是世界上最绿色的建筑之一 那里的建筑非常美丽
72.We’re able to now build buildings that generate all their own electricity, that recycle much of their water, that are much more comfortable than standard buildings,
我们现在已经可以造出能够自我生产能量的房子 还能循环利用污水 并且舒适感也比标准的建筑好
73.use all-natural light, et cetera, and over time cost less.
用的是自然光 以及其他从长远来看可以更节约的方式
74.Green roofs. Bill McDonough covered that last night, so I won’t dwell on that too much.
还有绿色屋顶 麦唐纳昨晚就讲过这个 我这里不多讲
75.But once you also have people living in close proximity to each other, one of the things you can do is — as information technologies develop —
而一旦你能够安排人们住得 彼此相隔较近 你就可以 依照资讯科技的发展模式
76.you can start to have smart places.
来实现智能安居的计划
77.You can start to know where things are.
你可以更清晰的知道东西都在哪里
78.When you know where things are, it becomes easier to share them.
当你知道东西在哪里之后 共享这样的资源就变得容易了
79.When you share them, you end up using less.
而一旦人们更多的共享 人们所用的资源总量就会减少
80.So one great example is car-share clubs, which are really starting to take off in the U.S., have already taken off in many places in Europe, and are a great example.
一个很好的例子就是车共享俱乐部 这样的俱乐部在美国才刚刚起步 而在欧洲以及其他地方已经有较大的发展了
81.If you’re somebody who drives, you know, one day a week, do you really need your own car?
假如某人一周只开车一次 他是否真的需要一辆车?
82.Another thing that information technology lets us do is start figuring out how to use less stuff by knowing, and by monitoring, the amount we’re actually using.
资讯科技带来的另一个好处 就是帮助我们了解并且监控我们的资源消耗量 了解自己用了多少资源 并且以此来避免无畏的浪费
83.So, here’s a power cord which glows brighter the more energy that you use, which I think is a pretty cool concept, although I think it ought to work the other way around,
比如这根电线 当你用的电越多的时候 它就变得越亮 我认为这是一个非常棒的概念 但我觉得如果把它反过来使用,效果会更好
84.that it gets brighter the more you don’t use.
就是你用得越少 它就变得越亮
85.But, you know, there may even be a simpler approach.
事实上 很多时候可以有更简单的做法
86.We could just re-label things.
比如改变我们对一些事情的叫法
87.This light switch that reads, on the one hand, flashfloods, and on the other hand, off.
就拿一个开关来说,它一边写着“关” 另一边写着“灯光泛滥”
88.How we build things can change as well.
我们建造东西的方法也能加以改进
89.This is a bio-morphic building.
这是一个仿生建筑
90.It takes its inspiration in form from life.
其建造灵感来源于自然
91.Many of these buildings are incredibly beautiful, and also much more effective.
很多这样的建筑都非常美 并且更加高效
92.This is an example of bio-mimicry, which is something we’re really starting to look a lot more for.
这是仿生建筑的一个例子 也是我们未来将会给予更多关注的一个地方
93.In this case, you have a shell design which was used to create a new kind of exhaust fan, which is greatly more effective.
大家看到的是一种贝壳式的设计 是当排气扇用的 它比其他的设计更高效
94.There’s a lot of this stuff happening, it’s really pretty remarkable.
很多类似这样的产物长在发展中,让人觉得无比欣慰
95.I encourage you to look on Worldchanging if you’re into it.
如果你感兴趣的话,我极力推荐大家看看“改变世界”(Worldchanging)网站
96.We’re starting to cover this more and more.
我们关于这方面的报道越来越多了
97.There’s also neo-biological design, where more and more we’re actually using life itself and the processes of life to become part of our industry.
还有新型的生物设计 我们正在越来越多的使用生物体本身 并且将生物学的概念融入到我们的工业生产当中
98.So this, for example, is hydrogen-generating algae.
这是一种能够制作氢气的蓝藻
99.So we have a model in potential, an emerging model that we’re looking for of how to take the cities most of us live in, and turn them into Bright Green cities.
我们正在寻找一种具有潜在发展动力的 成型中的模式 通过这个模式 我们希望能够把大多数人居住的城市转变为绿色城市
100.But unfortunately, most of the people on the planet don’t live in the cites we live in.
但不幸的是 地球上绝大多数的人都不是生活在跟我们一样的城市
101.They live in the emerging megacities of the developing world.
我们大多住在发展中国家的发展区
102.And there’s a statistic I often like to use, which is that we’re adding a city of Seattle every four days, a city the size of Seattle to the planet every four days.
我经常引用一个数据 那就是 每四天 地球上就会多出一座如西雅图那个规模的城市 或者是像西雅图那样的城市
103.I was giving a talk about two months ago, and this guy, who’d done some work with the U.N., came up to me and was really flustered, and he said, look,
两个月前 我做了一次演讲 结束后,一个曾在联合国工作的人找到了我 他说他听了我的演讲感到非常气愤
104.you’ve got that totally wrong, it’s totally wrong.
对我说 你讲的完全错误
105.It’s every seven days.
应该是每七天多出一座那样的城市
106.So, we’re adding a city the size of Seattle every seven days, and most of those cities look more like this than the city that you or I live in.
好吧 我们每七天就多出一座如西雅图 而且大多数这样的城市会是这个样子 而不像我们居住的城市
107.Most of those cites are growing incredibly quickly.
并且它们成长得非常迅速
108.They don’t have existing infrastructure, they have enormous numbers of people who are struggling with poverty, and enormous numbers of people are trying to figure out
那里没有现成的基础设施 很多人在贫困线上挣扎 很多人在寻思
109.how to do things in new ways. Right?
如何运用新的思路去解决问题
110.So what do we need in order to make developing nation megacities into Bright Green megacities?
我们可以做点什么 把这些发展中国家里的新兴城市变成绿色城市?
111.Well, the first thing we need is, we need leapfrogging.
我们首先需要的是蛙跳式发展
112.And this is one of the things that we are looking for everywhere.
而这一点我们在所有地方都看得到
113.The idea behind leapfrogging is that if you are a person, or a country, who is stuck in a situation where you don’t have the tools and technologies that you need,
其本质内涵就是 假如一个人或一个国家 因为缺乏工具和技术而难以发展
114.there’s no reason for you to invest in last generation’s technologies. Right?
那么是没有必要去投资于陈旧的技术的
115.That you’re much better off, almost universally, looking for a low-cost or locally applicable version of the newest technology.
假如你采用一些低成本或适合本地使用的新技术 你的日子会过得更好
116.One place we’re all familiar with seeing this is with cell phones. Right?
手机就是一个很好的例子
117.All throughout the developing world, people are going directly to cell phones, skipping the whole landline stage.
发展中国家的人都在开始使用手机 他们直接跳过了座机电话这一步
118.If there are landlines in many developing world cities, they’re usually pretty crappy systems that break down a lot, and cost enormous amounts of money. Right?
假如说 在某些国家有座机电话的话 那都是些很烂的设施 几乎不能发挥作用 反而需要更多的财力去维修
119.So I rather like this picture here.
所以我更喜欢看到这样的图景
120.I particularly like the Ganesh in the background, talking on the cell phone.
尤其是后面那个打手机的象头神
121.So what we have, increasingly, is cell phones just permeating out through society.
我们社会上越来越多的 将会是手机
122.We’ve heard all about this here this week, so I won’t say too much more than that, other than to say what is true for cell phones is true for all sorts of technologies.
我们上周就已经谈过这事情了 我这里不多说 只想说 手机是这样子 其他技术也是这样子
123.The second thing is tools for collaboration, be they systems of collaboration, or intellectual property systems which encourage collaboration. Right?
第二个是合作的工具 不管是合作之系统 还是知识产权体系 他们都鼓励合作 对吧
124.When you have free ability for people to freely work together and innovate, you get different kinds of solutions.
当人们可以共同参与某件事情的时候 他们的积极性会更高 你会得到各种不同的反馈
125.And those solutions are accessible in a different way to people who don’t have capital. Right?
穷人和富人要寻找解决方案 他们的的门道也不一样
126.So, you know, we have open source software, we have Creative Commons and other kinds of Copyleft solutions. Right?
我们有开源程序员 我们有Creative Commons以及其他的非盈利性授权协议
127.And those things lead to things like this.
它们所带来的正如这张照片所展示的
128.This is a Telecentro in Sao Paulo.
这是巴西圣保罗的电信中心
129.This is a pretty remarkable program using free and open source software, cheap sort of hacked together machines, and basically sort of abandoned buildings —
这是一个非常好的计划 他们使用自由开源软件 以及一些废置的机器 还有一幢旧建筑
130.has put together a bunch of community centers where people can come in, get high-speed internet access, learn computer programming skills for free.
就搭起了多个社区中心 人们可以去到那里上网 学习编程 一切都是免费的
131.And a quarter-million people every year use these now in Sao Paulo.
圣保罗每一年有25万人使用这样的服务
132.And those quarter-million people are some of the poorest people in Sao Paolo.
并且他们大多数是圣保罗最贫穷的人
133.I particularly like the little Linux penguin in the back.
我尤其喜欢后面那个Linux企鹅
134.So one of the things that that’s leading to is a sort of southern cultural explosion.
由此而触发了南半球的文化爆炸
135.And one of the things we’re really, really interested in at Worldchanging is the ways in which the south is re-identifying itself, and re-categorizing itself in ways
我们Worldchanging最最关注的一点 就是南半球如何重新自我定位 重新把自己放到合适的地方
136.that have less and less to do with most of us in this room.
而不是单纯学习我们
137.So it’s not, you know, Bollywood isn’t just answering Hollywood. Right?
宝莱坞不仅仅是在冲击好莱坞
138.You know, Brazilian music scene isn’t just answering the major labels.
巴西音乐也不是为了要抗衡主流音乐
139.It’s doing something new. There’s new things happening.
他们是在寻找新的做事方式 而这样的方式正在出现
140.There’s interplay between them. And, you know, you get amazing things.
这是一个双方相互学取长补短的过程
141.Like, I don’t know if any of you have seen the movie “City of God?”
不知大家看过《上帝之城》没有?
142.Yeah, it’s a fabulous movie if you haven’t seen it.
一部相当出色的电影
143.And it’s all about this question, in a very artistic and indirect kind of way.
整个片子都是这个主题 但却是通过艺术化以及间接的手法展现出来
144.You have other radical examples where the ability to use cultural tools is spreading out.
还有别的更为让人激动的例子 那是全新的文化交流的方式
145.These are people who have just been visited by the Internet bookmobile in Uganda.
这班孩子刚刚迎来了 乌干达因特网流动图书室的人员
146.And who are waving their first books in the air, which, I just think that’s a pretty cool picture. You know?
他们正在挥舞自己拿到手的第一本书 我认为这是一张很棒的照片,对不对?
147.So you also have the ability for people to start coming together and acting on their own behalf in political and civic ways.
你还能让人们站出来 通过政治和文明的方式去保护自己的权益
148.In ways that haven’t happened before.
以前还从未曾发生过这种事情
149.And as we heard last night, as we’ve heard earlier this week, are absolutely, fundamentally vital to the ability to craft new solutions,
我们昨晚和本周早些时候 就已经听说 这些行动对于人们寻找到新的解决之道
150.is we’ve got to craft new political realities.
去争取新的政治图景具有绝对的重要价值
151.And I would personally say that we have to craft new political realities, not only in places like India, Afghanistan, Kenya, Pakistan,
我个人认为 我们需要重塑一种新的政治 不但是在印度 阿富汗 肯尼亚 巴基斯坦
152.what have you, but here at home as well.
或者其他你想象得到的地方 在美国本土 我们同样需要这么做
153.Another world is possible.
另一种世界是可能的
154.And sort of the big motto of the anti-globalization movement. Right?
这是当年反全球化的口号 对不对?
155.We tweak that a lot.
我们改了一下
156.We talk about how another world isn’t just possible, another world’s here.
我们想说 另一种世界不仅仅是可能的 而且就在眼前
157.That it’s not just that we have to sort of imagine there being a different, vague possibility out there, but we need to start acting a little bit more on that possibility.
它不仅仅是说 我们要去想象 一个不一样的、模糊的世界 并且还要从自我做起 按照那样的生活模式来生活
158.We need to start doing things like Lula, President of Brazil.
我们需要像巴西总统卢拉那样做事情
159.How many people knew of Lula before today?
有多少人之前是知道卢拉这个名字的
160.OK, so, much, much better than the average crowd, I can tell you that.
好 很好 比我通常遇到的情况好多了
161.So Lula, he’s full of problems, full of contradictions, but one of the things that he’s doing is, he is putting forward an idea of how we engage in international relations that
卢拉本人也面对诸多的问题 他自己也是一个矛盾的体现 但他做的一件事情是 他提出一个关于国际关系的主张
162.completely shifts the balance from the standard sort of north-south dialogue into a whole new way of global collaboration.
不再按照传统的南北对立来看待国际问题 而是从全球合作的角度来重新看待这一问题
163.I would keep your eye on this fellow.
我希望大家能继续关注他
164.Another example of this sort of second superpower thing is the rise of these games that are what we call serious play.
另外一种超级强大的力量 就是我们通常所说的“严肃的游戏”
165.We’re looking a lot at this. This is spreading everywhere.
我们平日也研究过许多 这些玩意正在全球扩散
166.This is from “A Force More Powerful.” It’s a little screenshot.
这是“更加勇猛有力”的一个屏幕截图