1.I’m extremely excited to be given the opportunity to come and speak to you today about what I consider to be the biggest stunt on Earth.
我非常激动,今天有机会 在这里和大家谈谈 我认为是 地球上最大型的特技。
2.Or, perhaps, not quite on earth.
或许,不能算是在地球上。
3.A parachute jump from the very edge of space.
从太空的边缘处跳伞。
4.More about that a bit later on.
稍后再详谈这个。
5.What I’d like to do first is take you through a very brief helicopter ride of stunts, and the stunts industry in the movies and in television.
首先我想向你们展示 一段简短的直升机特技, 并了解电影电视行业里的特技。
6.And show you how technology has started to interface with the physical skills of the stunt performer in a way that makes the stunts bigger
向你们展示技术是如何 影响特技演员们的 身体技能, 并在某种程度上使得特效更宏大
7.and actually makes them safer than they’ve ever been before.
并确实让特技演员更比以往更安全。
8.I’ve been a professional stunt man for 13 years.
我从事专业特技已经13年。
9.I’m a stunt coordinator. And as well as perform stunts I often design them.
我是个特技协调者,我也参与特技表演。 我常设计特技动作。
10.During that time, health and safety has become everything about my job.
在设计时,健康和安全是重中之重。
11.It’s critical now that when a car crash happens it isn’t just the stunt person we make safe, it’s the crew.
进行撞车特技时这非常重要。 我们不仅仅要保证特技演员本身的安全,还要保证整个特技组的安全。
12.We can’t be killing camera men. We can’t be killing stunt men.
我们不能杀死摄像师,我们不能杀死特技演员。
13.We can’t be killing anybody or hurting anybody on set, or any passerby. So safety is everything.
我们不能杀死或伤害在场的或是 路过的任何人。因此安全就是一切。
14.But it wasn’t always that way.
但以前并不是这样的。
15.In the old days of the silent movies — Harold Lloyd here, hanging famously from the clock hands — a lot of these guys did their own stunts. They were quite remarkable.
过去那些无声电影的年代– 比如哈罗德·劳埃德那著名的吊在时钟指针上的一幕– 这些人都有自己的特技。他们技艺非凡。
16.They had no safety, no real technology.
他们没有安全保护,没有借助什么真正的技术。
17.What safety they had was very scant.
他们的安全保护非常不充分。
18.This is the first stunt woman, Rosie Venger, an amazing woman.
这是第一个做特技演员的女人, 罗西·文格尔,一位非常了不起的女性。
19.You can see from the slide, very very strong.
你可以从幻灯片中看出,她非常非常强壮。
20.She really paved the way, at a time when nobody was doing stunts, let alone women.
她真的是给后人铺了路, 当时没人做特技演员,更别说是女性了。
21.My favorite, and a real hero of mine is Yakima Canutt.
我个人最崇拜的英雄是亚基马·坎纳特。
22.Yakima Canutt really formed the stunt fight.
亚基马·坎纳特确实促成了特技打斗。
23.He worked with John Wayne and most of those old punch-ups you see in the westerns, Yakima was either there, or he stunt coordinated.
他和约翰·韦恩一起合作,在多数你们在西方电影中看到老式打斗场景里 亚基马不是参与其中,就是协调特技。
24.This is a screen capture from “Stagecoach,”
这是“关山飞渡”中的一幕
25.where Yakima Canutt is doing one of the most dangerous stunts I’ve ever seen.
亚基马·坎纳特正在做我所见过的最危险的特技。
26.There is no safety, no back support, no pads, no crash mats, no sand pits in the ground.
当时没有安全措施,没有护腰, 没垫子,没缓冲垫,地面也没有沙坑。
27.That’s one of the most dangerous horse stunts, certainly.
这当然是最危险的马特技之一。
28.Talking of dangerous stunts and bringing things slightly up to date, one of the most dangerous stunts we do as stunt people are fire stunts.
谈到特技的危险性,我们来聊聊目前的状况, 我们做的最危险的特技之一就是与火有关的特技。
29.We couldn’t do them without technology.
没有科技的支持我们根本无法做到。
30.These are particularly dangerous because there is no mask on my face.
这些特技尤其危险 因为脸上没有戴面罩。
31.They were done for a photo shoot. One for the Sun newspaper, one for FHM magazine.
这些特技是为了照片拍摄,一组是为了太阳报, 一组是为了男人帮杂志。
32.Highly dangerous, but also you’ll notice it doesn’t look as though I’m wearing anything underneath the suit.
高度危险,但你也许注意到了, 看起来我的衣服下似乎也没有穿什么保护的东西。
33.The firesuits of old, the bulky suits, the thick woolen suits, have been replaced with modern materials like Nomex, or more recently Carbonex.
那些老式的,厚重的毛料防护服, 都被现代的材料所取代了 比如Nomex纤维,或者最新的碳纤维。
34.Fantastic materials that enable us as stunt professionals to burn for longer, look more spectacular, and in pure safety.
这些奇特的材料可以让我们这些特技专业者们 在火中烧得更久,看起来也更壮观,而且非常安全。
35.Here’s a bit more.
这儿还有些例子。
36.There’s a guy with a flame thrower there, giving me what for.
这里有个人拿着喷火器,对着我喷火。
37.One of the things that a stuntman often does, and you’ll see it every time in the big movies, is be blown through the air.
特技者们经常要做的特技之一, 就是你们会在大片中看到的, 被炸飞到半空。
38.Well, we used to use trampettes. In the old days that’s all they had.
我们以前用的是绷床。过去人们只有这个。
39.And that’s a ramp. Spring off the thing and fly through the air.
就是一个斜面,把人弹出去,飞到半空。
40.And hopefully you make it look good.
并希望能靠那个飞得好看一些。
41.Now we’ve got technology. This thing is called an air ram.
现在我们有了科技。这东西叫空气冲压器。
42.It’s a frightening piece of equipment for the novice stunt performer.
对于特技演员新手来说这是个可怕的装置。
43.Because it will break your legs very very quickly if you land on it wrong.
因为如果你以不正确方式踩上它 会很快把腿摔断。
44.Having said that, it works with compressed nitrogen.
说到这个,它是以压缩氮气做为动力。
45.And that’s in the up position. When you step on it, either by remote control, or with the pressure of your foot, it will fire you, depending on the gas pressure,
这是启动的位置。当你踩上它, 或者用遥控器,或者用脚给它施加压力, 它就会把你弹射出去,取决于气体的压力,
46.anything from five feet to 30 feet.
弹射的高度从5英尺到30英尺。
47.I could, quite literally, fire myself into the gallery.
我能像这样把自己弹射到长廊那儿。
48.Which I’m sure you wouldn’t want.
我可能你们不想看到我这么做。
49.Not today.
今天不行。
50.Car stunts is another area where technology and engineering advances have made life easier for us, and safer.
汽车特技是另一个领域, 其中科技和工程的 发展使我们进行特技是更容易更安全。
51.We can do bigger car stunts than ever before now.
现在我们能进行比以往更大型的汽车特技。
52.Being run over is never easy.
被汽车碾过绝不轻松。
53.That’s an old fashioned, hard, gritty, physical stunt.
这是个老式的,有难度的,需要坚韧不拔的精神的身体特技。
54.But we have padding, and fantastic shock absorbing things like Sorbothane.
但我们有保护垫和神奇的振动吸收材料,比如Sorbothane。
55.The materials that help us, when we’re hit, like this, not to hurt ourselves too much.
这种材料帮助我们在被击中时,像这样, 不会受到太大伤害。
56.The picture in the bottom right-hand corner there is of some crash-test-dummy work that I was doing.
这张右下角的图片 是我曾做过的碰撞试验。
57.Showing how stunts work in different areas really.
显示如何在不同实际区域进行特技。
58.And testing breakaway signpost pillars.
并测试撞击路标支柱。
59.A company makes a Lattix pillar. Which is a network, a lattice type pillar, that collapses when it’s hit.
一家公司制作了一个Lattix支柱。它是网状结构, 格子式的支柱,受到撞击时它会倒塌。
60.The car on the left drove into the steel pillar.
这辆车从左侧撞向这个钢制支柱。
61.And you can’t see if from there, but the engine was in the driver’s lap.
你从那儿看不到,但引擎在驾驶者的膝部。
62.They did it by remote control.
他们用遥控操作。
63.I drove the other one at 60 miles an hour, exactly the same speed, and clearly walked away from it.
我以60英里的时速驾驶另一辆车,与另一辆完全一样的速度, 并准确的驶离它。
64.Rolling a car over is another area where we use technology.
让一辆汽车翻转是另一个我们运用了科技力量的领域。
65.We used to have to drive up a ramp. And we still do sometimes.
过去我们开向一个斜坡。现在有时我们也这么做。
66.But now we have a compressed nitrogen cannon.
但现在我们有压缩氮气炮。
67.You can just see, underneath the car, there is a black rod on the floor by the wheel of the other car.
你能看到,在另一辆车的轮子边的地面上 有一个黑色棒状物。
68.That’s the piston that was fired out of the floor.
这是发射出的活塞。
69.We can flip lorries, coaches, buses, anything over with a nitrogen cannon with enough power.
我们可以让货车、旅游车、公交车及任何车辆翻转, 只要氮气炮有足够的力量。
70.It’s a great job, really.
这确实是个很棒的工作。
71.We have such fun!
我们乐在其中!
72.(Laughter) You should hear some of the phone conversations that I have with people in my Bluetooth in the shop.
(笑声) 你们应该听听我在商店中用我的蓝牙耳机 与人进行的电话通话。
73.”Well, we can flip the bus over, we can have it burst into flames, and how about someone, you know, big explosion.”
“好的,我们能让公交车翻过来,我们能让它爆裂起火, 接着在来一次大爆炸,怎么样。“
74.And people are looking like this …
而周围的人们这样看着我…
75.(Laughs) I sort of forget how bizarre some of those conversations are.
(笑声) 我都没意识到这样的对话有多奇怪。
76.The next thing that I’d like to show you is something that Dunlop asked me to do earlier this year, with our Channel Five’s “Fifth Gear Show.”
接下来我想展示给你们的是, 今年初邓洛普要我在 第五频道的节目“第五档”中做的。
77.A loop-the-loop, biggest in the world.
一个翻车特技,世界上最难的。
78.Only one person had ever done it before.
只有一个人之前曾做到过。
79.Now the stuntman solution to this in the old days would be, “Let’s hit this as fast as possible. 60 miles an hour.
昔日特技演员对这一特技的解决方案是, “让我们尽可能快的撞过去。六十英里的时速。
80.Let’s just go for it. Foot flat to the floor.”
我们只管冲过去。紧贴着地面。“
81.Well, you’d die, if you did that.
如果你真这么做了,那就死定了。
82.We went to Cambridge University, the other university, and spoke to a doctor of mechanical engineering there, a physicist who taught us that it had to be 37 miles an hour.
我们去了剑桥大学和另一所大学, 请教了那儿的一位机械工程博士, 一位物理学家告诉我们,必须以37英里的时速驾驶。
83.Even then I caught seven G, and lost a bit of consciousness on the way in.
即使这样我承受了7G的重力, 并在过程中短暂的失去了意识。
84.That’s a long way to fall, if you get it wrong. That was just about right.
如果你做错了,这将是个漫长的降落过程。一定要正确无误。
85.So again, science helps us. And with the engineering too.
所以,科学再一次帮助了我们。工程也再次帮助了我们。
86.The modifications to the car and the wheel.
对车辆和轮胎进行了改装。
87.High falls, they’re old fashioned stunts.
从高处坠落,是老式的特技。
88.What’s interesting about high falls, is that although we use airbags, and some airbags, you know, are quite advanced, they’re designed so you don’t slip off the side like you used to,
高空坠落的有趣之处在于, 尽管我们使用了气囊, 而有些气囊,你知道,非常的先进, 它们经过良好设计,因此如果你着陆时出了点差错,
89.if you land a bit wrong. So they’re a much safer proposition.
也不会像以往一样从侧面滑落。因此这是个让我们更安全的建议。
90.Just basically though, it is a basic piece of equipment.
虽然很基础,它是项基础的设备。
91.It’s a bouncy castle with slats in the side to allow the air to escape.
它是个充气城堡 在它侧面有百叶板,使得空气可以溢出。
92.That’s all it is, a bouncy castle.
这就是它,一个充气城堡。
93.That’s the only reason we do it. See it’s all fun this job.
这是我们从事这项工作的唯一原因。看这工作的所有乐趣。
94.What’s interesting is we still use cardboard boxes.
有趣的是,我们仍然在使用纸箱。
95.They used to use cardboard boxes years ago, and we still use them.
多年前我们就在使用纸箱,现在我们仍在使用。
96.And that’s interesting because they are almost retrospective.
有趣的是纸箱几乎是可以重复利用的。
97.They’re great for catching you, up to certain hights.
它们能很好的接住从一定高度上坠落的你。
98.And on the other side of the fence that physical art, the physical performance of the stuntman, has interfaced with the very highest
而另一方面, 身体的艺术,特技演员的身体表演, 与信息技术和软件行业
99.technology in I.T. and in software.
有着非常紧密的联系。
100.Not the cardboard box, but the green screen.
不是纸箱,而是绿屏。
101.This is a shot of Terminator, the movie.
这是电影终结者中的一幕。
102.Two stunt guys doing what I consider to be a rather benign stunt.
两名特技演员正在表演,我认为这是比较温和的特技。
103.It’s 30 feet. It’s water. It’s very simple.
30英尺高,下面是水,这非常简单。
104.With the green screen we can put any background in the world on it, moving or still, And I assure you, nowadays you can’t see the joint.
有了绿屏,我们能把世界上的任何背景放在后面, 移动的或是静止的都可以。 我向你们保证,如今你们看不出连接处。
105.This is a parachutist with another parachutist doing exactly the same thing.
这是名跳伞运动员和另一名跳伞运动员坐着完全相同的动作。
106.Completely in the safety of a studio, and yet with the green screen, we can have some moving image that a skydiver took, and put in the sky moving, and the clouds whizzing by.
完全在安全的工作室内, 而通过使用绿屏,我们能在跳伞者后放上些移动的画面, 放些移动的天空和呼啸而过的云彩。
107.Decelerator rigs and wires. We use them a lot.
减速装置和钢丝。我们大量使用它们。
108.We fly people on wires, like this.
我们让人吊在钢丝飞舞,像这样。
109.This guy is not skydiving. He’s being flown like a kite, or moved around like a kite.
这家伙不是在跳伞。他是像个风筝那样在飞翔, 或者说像个风筝那样四处移动。
110.And this is a Guinness World Record attempt.
这是项吉尼斯世界纪录的尝试。
111.They asked me open their 50th anniversary show in 2004.
他们让我在2004年他们的50周年庆上做开幕表演。
112.And again, technology meant that I could do the fastest abseil over 100 meters, and stop within a couple of feet of the ground, without melting the rope with the friction,
而再一次,科技让我能够以最快速的缘绳下降超过100米, 并在离地面几英尺的时停下, 而绳索没有因摩擦而融化,
113.because of the alloys I used in the descender device.
而这是由于我的减速装置使用的合金。
114.And that’s Centre Point in London.
这是伦敦的市中心。
115.We brought Oxford street and Tottenham Court Road to a standstill.
我们让牛津街和图腾汉厅路陷入停顿。
116.Helicopter stunts are always fun, hanging out of them, whatever.
直升机特技总是非常有乐趣, 悬挂在直升机外面,无论是什么都很有趣。
117.And aerial stunts. No aerial stunt would be the same without skydiving.
空中特技。没什么空中特技能像跳伞这样。
118.Which brings us, quite nicely, to why I’m really here today.
它带给我们非常美妙的感觉,这是我今天在这儿演讲的原因。
119.Project Space Jump.
太空跳伞计划。
120.In 1960, Joseph Kittenger of the United States Air Force did the most spectacular thing.
在1960年,美国空军的约瑟夫·基廷格 做过最让人惊叹的事。
121.He did a jump from 100,000 feet, 102,000 to be precise.
他从10万英尺高跳下,准确的说是10万零两千英尺。
122.And he did it to test high altitude systems for military pilots in the new range of aircraft that were going up to around 80,000 feet or so.
他这么做事为了军队飞行员 测试高海拔系统, 新型飞行器能达到大约8万英尺的高度。
123.And I’d just like to show you a little footage of what he did back then.
我想向你们展示一小段镜头, 看看他当时做了什么。
124.And just how brave he was in 1960, bear in mind.
看看1960年时他有多么勇敢,并请铭记于心。
125.Project Excelsior, it was called.
这被称为Excelsior计划。
126.There were three jumps, They first dropped some dummies.
一共有三跳, 他们先扔下假人。
127.So that’s the balloon, big gas balloon.
这就是那个气球,大氢气球。
128.It’s that shape because the helium has to expand.
它呈这个形状是由于氦气的膨胀。
129.My balloon will expand to 500 times, and look like a big pumpkin when it’s at the top.
我的气球将膨胀500倍, 当上到顶部时它会看起来像个大南瓜。