1.This is my first time at TED. Normally, as an advertising man, I actually speak at TED Evil, which is TED’s secret sister organization —
这是我第一次来到TED。通常,作为一个广告人, 我在TED Evil(邪恶TED)演讲,这是TED的秘密姐妹组织–
2.the one that pays all the bills.
为所有费用买单。
3.It’s held every two years in Burma.
TED Evil每两年在缅甸举行一次。
4.And I particularly remember a really good speech by Kim Jong Il on how to get teens smoking again.
有一场非常精彩的演讲尤其令我印象深刻。 金正日(Kim Jong II)谈论如何能让青少年再度吸烟。
5.(Laughter) But, actually, it’s suddenly come to me after years working in the business, that what we create in advertising, which is intangible value — you might call it perceived value,
(笑) 但实际上,在广告界工作多年后,我突然发现, 我们在广告中创造的是, 无形价值–也可以叫作感知价值,
6.you might call it badge value, subjective value, intangible value of some kind — gets rather a bad rap.
或者标识价值,主观价值, 某种形式的无形价值– 时常得到负面评价。
7.If you think about it, if you want to live in a world in the future where there are fewer material goods, you basically have two choices.
设想一下,如果将来你想生活在 物质相对缺乏的世界,基本上你有两个选择。
8.You can either live in a world which is poorer, which people in general don’t like.
你可以生活在相对贫穷的世界, 一般人都不喜欢这个选择。
9.Or you can live in a world where actually intangible value constitutes a greater part of overall value, that actually intangible value, in many ways
或者,你可以生活在无形价值构成 总体价值很大比重的世界, 事实上,无形价值在很多方面
10.is a very, very fine substitute for using up labor or limited resources in the creation of things.
能很好地替代 有限的人力或资源 用来创造产品。
11.Here is one example. This is a train which goes from London to Paris.
这里有个例子。这是一辆从伦敦开往巴黎的火车。
12.The question was given to a bunch of engineers, about 15 years ago, “How do we make the journey to Paris better?”
15年前,工程师们遇到一个问题, “如何能改善伦敦至巴黎之旅”
13.And they came up with a very good engineering solution, which was to spend six billion pounds building completely new tracks from London to the coast,
他们想出了一个非常好的工程解决方案, 即花费60亿英镑 在伦敦和蔚蓝海岸之间 建造全新的轨道,
14.and knocking about 40 minutes off a three-and-half-hour journey time.
使三个半小时的旅程减少40分钟。
15.Now, call me Mister Picky. I’m just an ad man …
现在,大家可以叫我挑剔先生。我只是个广告人…
16…. but it strikes me as a slightly unimaginative way of improving a train journey merely to make it shorter.
但依我看,作为改善火车之旅的方法,这不免有些缺乏想象力 如果仅仅是缩短行程的话。
17.Now what is the hedonic opportunity cost on spending six billion pounds on those railway tracks?
那么花费60亿建造铁轨的 快乐机会成本是多少呢?
18.Here is my naive advertising man’s suggestion.
作为一个天真的广告人,我的建议是:
19.What you should in fact do is employ all of the world’s top male and female supermodels, pay them to walk the length of the train, handing out free Chateau Petrus
实际上应该把所有世界顶级的男模, 和女模请来, 在旅途的全程走秀,免费发放波得路堡红葡萄酒
20.for the entire duration of the journey.
直到旅程结束。
21.(Laughter) (Applause) Now, you’ll still have about three billion pounds left in change, and people will ask for the trains to be slowed down.
(笑) (掌声) 这样的话,还能省下三十亿英镑左右, 而且人们反而还会要求火车开的慢点。
22.(Laughter) Now, here is another naive advertising man’s question again.
(笑) 现在,我这个天真的广告人又要提一个问题了。
23.And this shows that engineers, medical people, scientific people, have an obsession with solving the problems of reality, when actually most problems, once you reach a basic level of wealth
刚才的例子说明,工程师、 医生和科学家, 都执迷于解决现实问题, 而实际上,当人们在社会中达到了一定的财富水平,
24.in society, most problems are actually problems of perception.
大多数问题其实是感知上的问题。
25.So I’ll ask you another question.
所以,我要再问你们一个问题。
26.What on earth is wrong with placebos?
安慰剂到底有什么不妥?
27.The seem fantastic to me. They cost very little to develop.
我觉得这个主意太棒了。不仅研制成本很低,
28.They work extraordinarily well.
而且效果非常好,
29.They have no side effects, or if they do, they’re imaginary, so you can safely ignore them.
还无副作用, 如果有的话,也只存在于想象之中,完全可以忽略它。
30.(Laughter) So I was discussing this. And I actually went to the Marginal Revolution blog by Tyler Cowen. I don’t know if anybody knows it.
(笑) 所以我开始与人讨论这个问题。我还到泰勒·考恩(Tyler Cowen)名为边际革命的博客上留言。 我不知道是否有人知道。
31.Someone was actually suggesting that you can take this concept further, and actually produce placebo education.
实际上,有人建议把这一概念带到更深的层面, 发展安慰教育。
32.The point is that education doesn’t actually work by teaching you things.
这一观点认为,教育的作用并不是通过教授知识而产生的。
33.It actually works by giving you the impression that you’ve had a very good education, which gives you an insane sense of unwarranted self confidence,
而是通过让人们产生其已接受良好教育的印象而产生的。 这种印象给人们不切实际的 强烈信心
34.which then makes you very, very successful in later life.
并使他们在今后的生活中非常成功。
35.So, welcome to Oxford, ladies and gentlemen.
所以,女士们先生们,欢迎来到牛津大学。
36.(Laughter) (Applause) But, actually, the point of placebo education is interesting.
(笑) (掌声) 但实际上,安慰教育背后的观点很有趣。
37.How many problems of life can be solved actually by tinkering with perception, rather than that tedious, hardworking and messy business
生活中有多少问题 能通过改变感知来解决, 而不是通过既乏味又辛苦的努力
38.of actually trying to change reality?
改变现实?
39.Here’s a great example from history. I’ve heard this attributed to several other kings, but doing a bit of historical research it seems to be Fredrick the Great.
历史上有个很好的例子。我听说有人把这件事被归功于其他几个国王, 但我做了一些历史研究, 应该发生在弗雷德里克大帝身上。
40.Fredrick the Great of Prussia was very very keen for the Germans to adopt the potato, and to eat it.
普鲁士的弗雷德里克大帝一度非常希望 德国人接受土豆,食用土豆。
41.Because he realized that if you had two sources of carbohydrate, wheat and potatoes, you get less price volatility in bread.
因为他认为,如果有小麦和土豆这两种碳水化合物的来源, 可以减少面包价格的动荡。
42.And you get a far lower risk of famine, because you actually had two crops to fall back on, not one.
同时,也可以大大降低发生饥荒的风险, 因为有两种作物可以依靠,而不是一种。
43.The only problem is: potatoes, if you think about it, look pretty disgusting.
唯一的问题是:土豆,如果大家想一想,看上去相当丑。
44.And also, 18th century Prussians ate very, very few vegetables — rather like contemporary Scottish people.
而且,18世纪的普鲁士人吃非常非常少的蔬菜– 很像现在的苏格兰人。
45.(Laughter) So, actually, he tried making it compulsory.
(笑) 于是,他最后采取了强制的措施。
46.The Prussian peasantry said, “We can’t even get the dogs to eat these damn things.
普鲁士的农民们说: “我们甚至没办法让狗吃这些恶心的东西。
47.They are absolutely disgusting and they’re good for nothing.”
这些土豆令人作呕,而且毫无用处。”
48.There are even records of people being executed for refusing to grow potatoes.
甚至有许许多多的人由于拒绝种植土豆 而被处死。
49.So he tried plan B.
于是,他又想了另一个办法。
50.He tried the marketing solution, which is he declared the potato as a royal vegetable. And none but the royal family could consume it.
他采取了营销的手段,宣布土豆是宫廷御用蔬菜。 只有皇室家族成员才能享用。
51.And he planted it in a royal potato patch, with guards who had instructions to guard over it, night and day, but with secret instructions not to guard it very well.
他在一片皇家土豆地中种植土豆, 并派侍卫 日夜加以看守, 但却密令他们无需太过认真。
52.(Laughter) Now 18th century peasants know that there is one pretty safe rule in life, which is if something is worth guarding, it’s worth stealing.
(笑) 18世纪的农民们懂得一个生活常识, 那就是值得看守的东西, 也值得偷。
53.Before long, there was a massive underground potato-growing operation in Germany.
不久,德国就出现了规模宏大的 地下土豆种植。
54.What he’d effectively done is he’d re-branded the potato.
他非常成功的重塑了土豆的品牌形象。
55.It was an absolute masterpiece.
这绝对是一个经典。
56.I told this story and a gentleman from Turkey came up to me and said, “Very, very good marketer, Fredrick the Great. But not a patch on Ataturk.”
我讲述了这个故事然后一位来自土耳其的先生过来找我说, “非常非常好的营销,Fredrick太伟大了。不过和Ataturk比起来还差早了。”
57.Ataturk, rather like Nicolas Sarkozy, was very keen to discourage the wearing of a veil, in Turkey, to modernize it.
Ataturk,和Nicolas Sarkozy(法国总统)很像。 非常渴望抛弃土耳其社会戴面纱的习惯, 使其具有现代气息。
58.Now, boring people would have just simply banned the veil.
那么,没创意的人可能就会简单的禁止佩戴面纱。
59.But that would have ended up with a lot of awful kickback and a hell of a lot of resistance.
但是那会以强烈的负面反响而告终 以及铺天盖地的抵制。
60.Ataturk was a lateral thinker.
Ataturk运用横向思维进行思考。
61.He made it compulsory for prostitutes to wear the veil.
他规定妓女必须佩戴面纱。
62.(Laughter) (Applause) I can’t verify that fully. But it does not matter.
(笑) (掌声) 我并不能完全证实这个的真实性。不过这并没关系。
63.There is your environmental problem solved, by the way, guys: All convicted child molesters have to drive a Porsche Cayenne.
(关键是)社会环境问题解决了,顺便提一句,各位: 所有被判刑的猥亵儿童者 必须驾驶保时捷卡宴。
64.(Laughter) What Ataturk realized actually is two very fundamental things.
(笑) Ataturk揭示的实际是两个基本事实。
65.Which is that, actually, first one, all value is actually relative.
其中,实际上,第一个是, 所有的价值都是相对价值。
66.All value is perceived value.
所有的价值都是感知价值。
67.For those of you who don’t speak Spanish, jugo de naranja — it’s actually the Spanish for “orange juice.”
对于不会西班牙语的人,jugo de naranja–实际上就是西班牙语中“橘子汁”的意思。
68.Because actually it’s not the dollar. It’s actually the peso in Buenos Aires. Very clever Buenos Aires street vendors decided to practice price discrimination
因为实际上那不是美元,而是比索 在布宜诺斯艾利斯,非常聪明的街头售货商 决定实践一下这种价格歧视
69.to the detriment to any passing gringo tourists.
用来占任何一个路过的美国佬的便宜。
70.As an advertising man, I have to admire that.
作为一个广告人,我不能不对此表示钦佩。
71.But the first thing this all shows is that all value is subjective.
不过这一切都说明了第一个道理,也就是所有的价值都是主观的。
72.Second point is that persuasion is often better than compulsion.
第二点是说服往往要比强制更有效。
73.These funny signs that flash your speed at you, some of the new ones, on the bottom right, now actually show a smiley face or a frowny face,
这些有趣的标志在你瞬间路过的时候显示出即时速度, 有一些新的标志,右下方, 实际上显示的是笑脸或者皱眉脸,
74.to act as an emotional trigger.
实际上在情绪层面触发共鸣。
75.What’s fascinating about these signs is they cost about 10 percent of the running cost of a conventional speed camera.
这些标志的了不起的地方在于,它们仅仅花费了传统超速相机 十分之一的成本。
76.But they prevent twice as many accidents.
却阻止了两倍数量的事故的发生。
77.So, the bizarre thing which is baffling to conventional, classically trained economists, is that a weird little smiley face has a better effect on changing your behavior
所以,这种奇怪的事情困扰着 传统的,古典主义经济学家, 也就是一个奇怪的微笑着的小头像 在改变个人行为上的作用
78.than the threat of a ㏒60 fine and three penalty points.
比60英镑的罚款和给予3个点数的罚分还要有效。
79.Tiny little behavioral economics detail: in Italy, penalty points go backwards.
一个很小的行为经济学的细节: 在意大利,罚分制度恰恰相反。
80.You start with 12 and they take them away.
从12分起,逐渐减少。
81.Because the found that loss aversion is a more powerful influence on people’s behavior.
因为人们发现厌恶因素的减少 在影响人们行为上具有更大的作用。
82.In Britain we tend to feel, “Whoa! Got another three!”
在英国我们往往会想,“哇哦,又吃了3分!”
83.Not so in Italy.
但是在意大利却不是这样。
84.Another fantastic case of creating intangible value to replace actual or material value, which remember, is what, after all, the environmental movement needs to be about:
还有一个讲述创造无形价值来代替物质价值的 极好例子,就是, 终究,环保运动会触及的问题:
85.This, again, is from Prussia, from, I think, about 1812, 1813.
这个,同样,还是来自普鲁士,我想,大概1812或1813年左右。
86.The wealthy Prussians, to help in war against the French, were encouraged to give in all their jewelry.
富裕的普鲁士人,为了在普法战争中取得优势, 被鼓励捐出他们的全部珠宝。
87.And it was replaced with replica jewelry made of cast iron.
然后用以生铁铸造的珠宝的 复制品代替。
88.Here’s one: “Gold gab ich f邦r Eisen, 1813.”
瞧这个:“Gold gab ich für Eisen,1813年。”
89.The interesting thing is that for 50 years hence, the highest status jewelry you could wear in Prussia wasn’t made of gold or diamonds.
有趣的事情是从这之后的50年, 普鲁士社会最高等级的珠宝 不是金制或钻石制。
90.It was made of cast iron.
而是生铁制。
91.Because actually, never mind the actual intrinsic value of having gold jewelry. This actually had symbolic value, badge value.
因为事实上,不考虑实际的内在价值 比如金珠宝。这件珠宝 具有象征价值,标记价值。
92.It said that your family had made a great sacrifice in the past.
它象征着你的家庭在过去做出过很大的贡献。
93.So, the modern equivalent would of course be this.
所以,在现代社会等价的东西应该类似这种。
94.(Laughter) But, actually, there is a thing, just as there are Veblen goods, where the value of the good depends on it being expensive and rare —
(笑) 不过,事实上,有一种商品,正如一种叫做Veblen商品的东西, 它的价值取决于本身的昂贵和稀有–
95.there are opposite kind of things where actually the value in them depends on them being ubiquitous, classless and minimalistic.
而它们是恰恰相反的一类东西 其价值恰恰在于它们本身的 普通性,大众化和简单性。
96.If you think about it, Shakerism was a proto-environmental movement.
如果你想一想的话,震颤派宗教仪式是一种原始的环保运动。
97.Adam Smith talks about 18th century America where the prohibition against visible displays of wealth was so great, it was almost a block in the economy in New England,
Adam Smith谈论到18世纪的美国 当时抵制物质上的可视财富的运动如火如荼, 几乎对新英格兰的经济发展造成了阻碍,
98.because even wealthy farmers could find nothing to spend their money on, without incurring the displeasure of their neighbors.
因为即使是富裕的农民也不知道该把钱花在哪, 除非招致邻居的鄙夷。
99.It’s perfectly possible to create these social pressures which lead to more egalitarian societies.
创造一种有利于社会平等的舆论压力 是完全可能的。
100.What’s also interesting, if you look at products that have a high component of what you might call messaging value, a high component of intangible value, versus their intrinsic value:
同样有趣的是,如果你仔细观察 高科技部件组成的产品 或许你们会叫做信息价值, 这类组件高度集成了无形价值,而不是内在价值:
101.They are often quite egalitarian.
它们经常很好的诠释了平等主义。
102.In terms of dress, denim is perhaps the perfect example of something which replaces material value with symbolic value.
就服装而言,牛仔布或许是诠释象征价值(而不是物质价值) 的最好的例子了。
103.Coca-Cola. A bunch of you may be a load of pinkos, and you may not like the Coca-Cola company.
可口可乐。也许你们中的某些人是倾左派的, 或许你并不喜欢可口可乐公司。
104.But it’s worth remembering Andy Warhol’s point about Coke.
不过Andy Warhol对于它的评价却十分耐人寻味。
105.What Warhol said about Coke is, he said, “What I really like about Coca-Cola is the president of the United States can’t get a better Coke than the bum on the corner of the street.”
他说, “我之所以爱可口可乐是因为即使是美国总统喝的可乐 也和街边流浪汉手中的可乐别无二样。”
106.Now, that is, actually, when you think about it, we take it for granted — it’s actually a remarkable achievement, to produce something that’s so democratic.
实际上如果你仔细想想的话,我们都把它当做理所当然了– 但实际上是很了不起的成就, 如此民主的一种产品。
107.Now, we basically have to change our views slightly.
那么,我们需要把自己的看法稍微转变一下。
108.There is a basic view that real value involves making things, involves labor. It involves engineering.
基本的看法是(产品的)实际价值包括制作的过程, 包括劳动力。如工程设计。
109.It involves limited raw materials.
包括有限的原材料。
110.And that what we add on top is kind of false. It’s a fake version.
现在我们要加上一种好像虚化的东西。好像是不真实的。
111.And there is a reason for some suspicion and uncertainly about it.
当然许多的怀疑和不确定是有原因的。
112.It patently veers toward propaganda.
显然这个因素就是宣传作用。
113.However, what we do have now is a much more variegated media ecosystem in which to kind of create this kind of value. And it’s much fairer.
然而,我们现在拥有的 是一个更加多样化的媒介环境 在其中我们创造这种价值。这样就合理多了。
114.When I grew up, this was basically the media environment of my childhood as translated into food.
当我长大了,我小时候的媒体环境差不多是这样的 可以理解为食物。
115.You had a monopoly supplier. On the left, you have Rupert Murdoch, or the BBC.
左边这个,是唯一的提供者。 当时还有Rupert Murdoch,或者BBC。
116.(Laughter) And on your right you have a dependent public which is pathetically grateful for anything you give it.
(笑) 右边是依赖性很强的大众 可怜的是,无论你提供什么,他都会心存感激。
117.(Laughter) Nowadays, the user is actually involved.
(笑) 现如今,用户都已经进化了。
118.This is actually what’s called, in the digital world, “user-generated content.”
这个在数码世界里,实际上叫做“用户为中心的实体。”
119.Although it’s called agriculture, in the world of food.
尽管叫做农业,在食物这个角度看。
120.(Laughter) This is actually called a mash-up, where you take content that someone else has produced and you do something new with it.
(笑) 这个实际上叫做“糅合”, 也就是你以其他人的生产结果为起点 创造出新的东西。
121.In the world of food we call it cooking.
在食物的角度来看我们叫它烹饪。
122.This is food 2.0, which is food you produce for the purpose of sharing it with other people.
这个叫食物2.0版本, 也就是以与其他人分享为目的而生产食物。
123.This is mobile food. British are very good at that.
这叫移动食物。英国人很擅长。
124.Fish and chips in newspaper, the Cornish Pastie, the pie, the sandwich.
把鱼和薯条夹在报纸里,Cornish Pastie, 派,三明治。
125.We invented the whole lot of them.
全是我们发明的。
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧