MiruKim_地下的艺术【中英文对照】

1.I was raised in Seoul, Korea, and moved to New York City in 1999 to attend college.
我在韩国首尔长大 1999年来到纽约上大学
2.I was pre-med at the time, and I thought I would become a surgeon because I was interested in anatomy and dissecting animals really piqued my curiosity.
那个时候我还是一名医学预科生 我以为自己会成为外科医生 因为我一直对解剖着迷 肢解动物总能激发我的好奇心。
3.At the same time, I fell in love with New York City.
同时,我彻底爱上了纽约。
4.I started to realize that I could look at the whole city as a living organism.
我渐渐地发现自己可以将这座城市 看作一个活生生的有机体。
5.I wanted to dissect it and look into its unseen layers.
我想要解剖它, 看看里面不为所知的切面,
6.And the way to to it, for me, was through artistic means.
而对于我来说,想要达到这样的目的, 就要通过艺术途径。
7.So, eventually I decided to pursue an MFA instead of an M.D.
所以最终我决定念艺术硕士,放弃了医学。
8.and in grad school I became interested in creatures that dwell in the hidden corners of the city.
读研究生的时候我开始对 那些藏在城市隐秘角落里的生物感兴趣。
9.In New York City, rats are part of commuters’ daily lives.
在纽约,老鼠几乎已经成了每日进出地铁站的人们的生活的一部人。
10.Most people ignore them or are frightened of them.
大多数人都无视它们,有些人害怕它们。
11.But I took a liking to them because they dwell on the fringes of society.
我倒挺喜欢它们的, 因为它们处于社会边缘,
12.And even though they’re used in labs to promote human lives, they’re also considered as pests.
尽管它们在实验室里是发展人类生活的道具, 但也时常被当作害虫。
13.I also started looking around in the city and trying to photograph them.
我开始关心城市里的各个角落, 试着给它们留影。
14.One day, in the subway, I was snapping pictures of the tracks hoping to catch a rat or two, and a man came up to me and said, “You can’t take photographs here.
有一天,我在地铁里拍摄铁轨, 希望能在镜头里捕捉到一两只老鼠, 一个男人走过来说, “你不能在这儿拍照,
15.The MTA will confiscate your camera.”
捷运局会没收你的相机。”
16.I was quite shocked by that, and thought to myself, “Well, OK then.
我吓了一跳, 只能对自己说,“哎,好吧。
17.I’ll follow the rats.”
我跟着老鼠走好了。”
18.Then I started going into the tunnels, which made me realize that there’s a whole new dimension to the city that I never saw before and most people don’t get to see.
随后我就开始了自己的管道之旅, 一个全新的城市第一次展现在我的面前: 一个我从没见过,大部分人也不会见到的城市。
19.Around the same time, I met like-minded individuals who call themselves urban explorers, adventurers, spelunkers, guerrilla historians, et cetera.
当然,也有和我想法相似的人。 他们把自己称为城市探险者,冒险家,洞穴勘探者, 游击历史家等等。
20.I was welcomed into this loose, Internet-based network of people who regularly explore urban ruins such as abandoned subway stations,
在这个松散的,给予互联网的小团体里,我受到了人们的欢迎。 他们定期勘探城市废墟, 如废弃的地铁站,
21.tunnels, sewers, aqueducts, factories, hospitals, shipyards and so-on.
地下管道,下水道,水渠, 工厂,医院,造船厂等等。
22.When I took photographs in these locations, I felt there was something missing in the pictures.
我在这些地方拍照的时候 总觉得照片里缺了点什么。
23.Simply documenting these soon-to-be-demolished structures wasn’t enough for me.
仅仅简单地纪录这些将要被推倒的结构, 是不够的。
24.So I wanted to create a fictional character or an animal that dwells in these underground spaces, and the simplest way to do it, at the time,
所以我想到创造一个虚构的角色, 或者是住在这些地下空间里的动物。 而在那个时候,最简单的方法,
25.was to model myself.
就是我自己做模特。
26.I decided against clothing because I wanted the figure to be without any cultural implications or time-specific elements.
我决定不包裹上自己, 因为我希望照片里的那个身影不带任何文化含义 或特定的时间因素。
27.I wanted a simple way to represent a living body inhabiting these decaying, derelict spaces.
我希望呈现最简单原始的人体, 在这些腐朽,被遗弃的空间中栖息。
28.This was taken in the Riviera Sugar Factory in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
这是在布鲁克林的红钩子地区的Riviera糖工厂拍摄的。
29.It’s now an empty, six-acre lot waiting for a shopping mall right across from the new Ikea.
那是一个六英亩大的空厂 等待着被改造成新建的宜家商场对面的购物中心。
30.I was very fond of this space because it’s the first massive industrial complex I found on my own that is abandoned.
我非常喜欢这个地方 因为那是第一个我自己发现的被废弃的 大型工业综合设施。
31.When I first went in, I was scared, because I heard dogs barking and I thought they were guard dogs.
第一次迈进那里,我被吓了一条, 因为我听到犬吠,还以为它们是看家狗。
32.But they happened to be wild dogs living there and it was right by the water, so there were swans and ducks swimming around and trees growing everywhere
不过还好它们只是附近的野狗。 那家工厂就在河边, 所以还有天鹅和野鸭在周围嬉戏畅游, 到处都是树
33.and bees nesting in the sugar barrels.
糖罐子现在成了蜂窝桶。
34.The nature had really reclaimed the whole complex.
大自然彻底地重新占领了这整个地方。
35.And, in a way, I wanted the human figure in the picture to become a part of that nature.
某种程度上,我希望照片里的人类形象 可以成为大自然的一部分。
36.When I got comfortable in the space, it also felt like a big playground.
等我渐渐地融入了那个地方, 就觉得它更像是一个大操场。
37.I would climb up the tanks and hop across exposed beams as if I went back in time and became a child again.
我爬上那些大桶,在裸露的横梁间跳来跳去, 就像回到了小时候。
38.This was taken in the old Croton Aqueduct which supplied fresh water to New York City for the first time.
这张是在老Croton水渠拍的 那是第一条为纽约城提供自来水的管道。
39.The construction began in 1837.
1837年开始修建,
40.It lasted about five years.
五年后建成。
41.It got abandoned when the new Croton Aqueducts opened in 1890.
在1890年新Croton水渠建成后就被遗弃了。
42.When you go into spaces like this, you’re directly accessing the past because they sit untouched for decades.
走入这样的空间, 就像是穿越空间回到过去, 因为它们在那儿几十年都无人问起。
43.I love feeling the aura of a space that has so much history.
我喜欢这些历史悠久的空间里弥漫的灵气。
44.Instead of looking at reproductions of it at home, you’re actually feeling the hand-laid bricks and shimmying up and down narrow cracks
与在坐在家里看复制品的感觉不同, 你真的能够触摸到那些手工制作的墙砖, 感觉到裂缝四周它们轻微的摇晃,
45.and getting wet and muddy and walking in a dark tunnel with a flashlight.
还会被水打湿,弄得满身是泥, 或是在黑漆漆的地下道里拎着电筒散步。
46.This is a tunnel underneath the Riverside Park.
这是Riverside公园下面的地下管道。
47.It was built in the 1930s by Robert Moses.
1930年由罗伯特·摩西斯指导建成。
48.The murals were done by a graffiti artist to commemorate the hundreds of homeless people that got relocated from the tunnel in 1991
这些壁画是一位涂鸦艺术家的作品, 用以纪念几百个在1991年 因为地道重新对火车开放而
49.when the tunnel reopened for trains.
被迫从地道迁走的流浪者。
50.Walking in this tunnel is very peaceful.
在这条地下道散步非常安静。
51.There’s nobody around you, and you hear the kids playing in the park above you, completely unaware of what’s underneath.
四周空无一人, 甚至能听到孩子们就在上面的公园里嬉戏玩耍, 完全不知道还有地下的世界。
52.When I was going out a lot to these places I was feeling a lot of anxiety and isolation because I was in a solitary phase in my life
我去这些地方的时候 会感到扑面而来的忧虑和隔离感, 因为那段时间我总是形影单只,
53.and I decided to title my series “Naked City Spleen,”
于是我决定把我的系列命名为“恶之城”,
54.which references Charles Baudelaire.
参照于波德莱尔。
55.”Naked City” is a nickname for New York, and “Spleen” embodies the melancholia and intertia that come from feeling alienated in an urban environment.
“裸城”是纽约的昵称, “恶”则象征着忧郁和困顿, 被都市环境驱逐的感觉。
56.This is the same tunnel.
这是同一条地道,
57.You see the sunbeams coming from the ventilation ducts and the train approaching.
你可以看到光线从通风管照射进来, 火车迎面驶来。
58.This is a tunnel that’s abandoned in Hell’s Kitchen.
这是电影《地狱厨房》里那条废弃的地下道。
59.I was there alone, setting up, and a homeless man approached.
我一个人在那里,为拍摄做准备。 一个流浪汉走近,
60.I was basically intruding his living space.
我基本上算是入侵了他的生活空间。
61.I was really frightened at first, but I calmly explained to him that I was working on an art project and he didn’t seem to mind and so I went ahead and put my camera on self-timer
开始的时候我真的很害怕, 但我镇定下来向他解释我是在做一个艺术项目, 他完全不在意的样子, 所以我就继续工作,把相机设到自动拍摄模式,
62.and ran back and forth.
然后来回地跑。
63.And when I was done, he actually offered me his shirt to wipe off my feet and kindly walked me out.
等我拍好,他还给了我他的衬衫 好让我把脚擦干净, 接着亲切地陪我走出去。
64.It must have been a very unusual day for him.
那对他来说可是不同寻常的一天啊!
65.(Laughter) One thing that struck me, after this incident, was that a space like that holds so many deleted memories of the city.
(笑) 这件事情之后我得到的最大启示, 就是这样的空间承担着太多的城市被删除的记忆。
66.That homeless man, to me, really represented an element of the unconscious of the city.
那个流浪汉,对我来说,真实地代表着 城市无意识的元素。
67.He told me that he was abused above ground, and was once in Riker’s Island, and at last he found peace and quiet in that space.
他告诉我在地上,他受到的各种伤害, 有一次是在瑞克岛上, 最后他总算在那个空间寻找到了自己的安静与和谐。
68.The tunnel was once built for the prosperity of the city, but is now a sanctuary for outcasts, who are completely forgotten in the average urban dweller’s everyday life.
地下道曾经是城市繁荣的成果, 而现在却成为了被驱逐者们的避难所, 他们完全被城市寄居者的每日生活抛在脑后。
69.This is underneath my alma mater, Columbia University.
这一切就发生在我所在的学校底下,哥伦比亚大学。
70.The tunnels are famous for having been used during the development of the Manhattan Project.
这些地下道因其在曼哈顿项目的发展中 发挥的作用而闻名。
71.This particular tunnel is interesting because it shows the original foundations of Bloomingdale Insane Asylum which was demolished in 1890
其中这条隧道尤其有趣。 它展现了布罗明达精神病院的原始地基。 1890年哥伦比亚大学搬进来的时候
72.when Columbia moved in.
精神病院就被拆除了。
73.This is the New York City Farm Colony, which was a poorhouse in Staten Island from the 1890s to the 1930s.
这是纽约城殖民农场, 它在1890年代到1930年代 是史丹顿岛上的一座救济院。
74.Most of my photos are set in places that have been abandoned for decades but this is an exception.
我的大多数摄影作品都是在这些 被遗弃了几十年的地方拍摄的, 但这属于一个例外。
75.This children’s hospital was closed in 1997; it’s located in Newark.
这间儿童医院在1997年关闭, 它位于纽瓦克市。
76.When I was there three years ago, the windows were broken and the walls were peeling, but everything was left there as it was.
三年前我在那里的时候 窗子都碎了,墙壁斑驳, 但那里的一切设施都还和原来一样。
77.You see the autopsy table, morgue trays, X-ray machines and even used utensils which you see on the autopsy table.
你能看到解剖台,停尸台,X光机, 甚至用过的手术用具 还就摆在解剖台上。
78.After exploring recently-abandoned buildings I felt that everything could fall into ruins very fast: your home, your office, a shopping mall, a church …
在探索了新近被遗弃的建筑之后, 我感到世间的一切都能顷刻间化为废墟, 你的家,你的办公室,一家百货中心,一座教堂……
79.any man-made structures around you.
人和一座我们周围的人造建筑。
80.I was reminded of how fragile our sense of security is and how vulnerable people truly are.
这让我想起我们的安全感是多么脆弱, 人类又是多么不堪一击。
81.I love to travel, and Berlin has become one of my favorite cities.
我爱旅行, 柏林是我最爱的旅游地之一。
82.It’s full of history, and also full of underground bunkers and ruins from the war.
它到处充满了历史, 地下碉堡, 以及战争留下的遗迹。
83.This was taken under a homeless asylum built in 1885 to house 1,100 people.
这是在一个一家庇护所的地底下拍的。 庇护所在1885年建成,能容纳1,100人。
84.I saw the structure while I was on the train, and I got off at the next station and met people there that gave me access to their catacomb-like basement,
我在火车上看到了这座建筑, 就立刻在下一站下车并请车站的人 为我指明了去他们那地下墓穴搬的地窖的路。
85.which was used for ammunition storage during the war and also, at some point, to hide groups of Jewish refugees.
战争期间那里被作为武器储备库, 有的时候还藏着一批批犹太难民。
86.This is the actual catacombs in Paris.
这是一座巴黎真的墓穴。
87.I explored there extensively in the off-limits areas and fell in love right away.
我粗略地浏览了一下那里 有限的空间, 并立刻就爱上了那儿。
88.There are more than 185 miles of tunnels and only about a mile is open to the public as a museum.
那里有185英里多的隧道, 而其中只有大概一英里作为博物馆对公众开放。
89.The first tunnels date back to 60 B.C.
最早建成的隧道可以追溯到公元前6年。
90.They were consistently dug as limestone quarries and by the 18th century, the caving-in of some of these quarries posed safety threats
他们通常是被作为石灰石采石场的, 直到18世纪 因为一些采石场顶板坍塌造成了安全隐患
91.so the government ordered reinforcing of the existing quarries and dug new observation tunnels in order to monitor and map the whole place.
于是被政府强制要求加固剩下的采石场, 并且挖掘新的观测隧道 来监控并给这整个地方绘地图。

ted演讲稿中英文对照

MichelleObama_米歇尔奥巴马恳请学生们重视教育【中英文对照】

2024-3-28 10:56:25

ted演讲稿中英文对照

MishaGlenny_对全球犯罪网络的调查【中英文对照】

2024-3-28 10:58:06

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索