1.Suppose that two American friends are traveling together in Italy.
想象两个美国人到意大利旅游
2.They go to see Michelangelo’s “David,”
一起去看米开朗基罗的名作“大卫”
3.and when they finally come face-to-face with the statue, they both freeze dead in their tracks.
当他们和巨大石雕面对面时 两个人都望着出神
4.The first guy — we’ll call him Adam — is transfixed by the beauty of the perfect human form.
第一个人﹐我们就叫他亚当吧 被完美的人体肌理震慑住了
5.The second guy — we’ll call him Bill — is transfixed by embarrassment at staring at the thing there in the center.
第二个人 我们就叫他比尔吧 也吓傻了 – 被那两腿间的玩意儿
6.So here’s my question for you: which one of these two guys was more likely to have voted for George Bush, which for Al Gore?
让我试问 这两个男人谁比较有可能把票投给小布什 谁投给了高尔﹖
7.I don’t need a show of hands because we all have the same political stereotypes.
大家不用举手 因为我们都有一样的刻板印象
8.We all know that it’s Bill.
我们都知道是比尔
9.And in this case, the stereotype corresponds to reality.
在这个例子里﹐刻板印象反映了事实
10.It really is a fact that liberals are much higher than conservatives on a major personality trait called openness to experience.
事实上﹐自由党员的确比保守党员 更容易接受新体验
11.People who are high in openness to experience just crave novelty, variety, diversity, new ideas, travel.
那些喜欢接受新体验的人 渴望新鲜 多样性 新想法 旅行
12.People low on it like things that are familiar, that are safe and dependable.
较难接受新体验的人喜欢熟悉 安全 可靠的事物
13.If you know about this trait, you can understand a lot of puzzles about human behavior.
如果你知道这些特性 你便能了解人类许多难解的行为
14.You can understand why artists are so different from accountants.
了解为什么艺术家和会计师如此不同
15.You can actually predict what kinds of books they like to read, what kinds of places they like to travel to, and what kinds of food they like to eat.
你可以预测他们喜欢看的书 他们喜欢去的旅游点 甚至他们的饮食偏好
16.Once you understand this trait, you can understand why anybody would eat at Applebee’s, but not anybody that you know.
只要你了解这个特性﹐你便能理解 为什么这么多人喜欢去连锁餐厅吃饭 但你却一个都不认识
17.(Laughter) This trait also tells us a lot about politics.
(笑声) 这个特性也让我们理解政治
18.The main researcher of this trait, Robert McCrae says that, “Open individuals have an affinity for liberal, progressive, left-wing political views” —
研究这个性格特质的研究者 Robert McCrae 说 “开放的人偏向自由 进步 左翼政治思想”
19.they like a society which is open and changing — “whereas closed individuals prefer conservative, traditional, right-wing views.”
他们喜欢一个开放 持续改变的社会 “封闭的人偏好保守 传统 右翼的观点。”
20.This trait also tells us a lot about the kinds of groups people join.
这个特质也让我们了解人们所参与的社团组织
21.So here’s the description of a group I found on the Web.
这是我在网络上找到的一个组织简介
22.What kinds of people would join a global community welcoming people from every discipline and culture, who seek a deeper understanding of the world,
怎样的人会参加一个全球性的社群 欢迎来自各种文化和学科的人 那些想更深刻理解世界的人
23.and who hope to turn that understanding into a better future for us all?
同时也是那些想以这些理解让世界变得更好的人
24.This is from some guy named TED.
这是一个叫 TED 的男人写的
25.(Laughter) Well, let’s see now, if openness predicts who becomes liberal, and openness predicts who becomes a TEDster, then might we predict that most TEDsters are liberal?
(笑声) 那么﹐如果开放性格偏向自由派 同时也预知了你会成为 TED 一员 是否大部份的 TED 成员都是自由党呢﹖
26.Let’s find out.
让我们试试
27.I’m going to ask you to raise your hand, whether you are liberal, left of center — on social issues we’re talking about, primarily —
请你举起手﹐不管你是自由党﹐中间偏左 在我们所讨论的议题上
28.or conservative, and I’ll give a third option, because I know there are a number of libertarians in the audience.
或是保守党﹐还有一个第三选项 因为我知道观众中还有一些相信自由至上的放任自由主义者
29.So, right now, please raise your hand — down in the simulcast rooms too, let’s let everybody see who’s here.
现在﹐举起你的手来 在联播台里的人也是 让每个人看看都是谁
30.Please raise your hand if you would say that you are liberal or left of center.
如果你是自由党或中间偏左﹐请举起手来
31.Please raise your hand high right now. OK.
请把你的手举高﹐好
32.Please raise your hand if you’d say you’re libertarian.
请举手如果你是放任自由主义者
33.OK, about a — two dozen.
好 差不多有二十多人
34.And please raise your hand if you’d say you are right of center or conservative.
如果你觉得你是中间偏右或保守党﹐请举手
35.One, two, three, four, five — about eight or 10.
1 2 3 4 5 – 大概8 到10人
36.OK. This is a bit of a problem.
好。这就是问题。
37.Because if our goal is to understand the world, to seek a deeper understanding of the world, our general lack of moral diversity here is going to make it harder.
如果我们的目标是了解世界 深刻的进一步了解世界 但缺乏道德多样性让了解世界变得更难
38.Because when people all share values, when people all share morals, they become a team, and once you engage the psychology of teams,
因为当每个人都分享一样的价值观和道德观 便成为一个团队﹐一旦进入团队心理
39.it shuts down open-minded thinking.
原本开放的思想就会闭塞
40.When the liberal team loses, as it did in 2004, and as it almost did in 2000, we comfort ourselves.
当自由队在2004年败选 就像在2000年一样﹐我们自我安慰
41.(Laughter) We try to explain why half of America voted for the other team.
(笑声) 我们尝试自我解释为什么有一半美国人投给另外一队
42.We think they must be blinded by religion, or by simple stupidity.
我们想 他们一定是被宗教蒙蔽 或是纯粹愚蠢
43.(Laughter) (Applause) So, if you think that half of America votes Republican because they are blinded in this way, then my message to you is that you’re trapped in a moral matrix,
(笑声) (掌声) 如果你认为投给共和党的另一半美国人 是因为他们被蒙蔽了 我想告诉你的是你被道德母体限制住了
44.in a particular moral matrix.
某一种特别的道德母体
45.And by the matrix, I mean literally the matrix like the movie “The Matrix.”
所谓的道德母体﹐就像“黑客任务”里面的大计算机一样
46.But I’m here today to give you a choice.
但今日我让你有个选择
47.You can either take the blue pill and stick to your comforting delusions, or you can take the red pill, learn some moral psychology and step outside the moral matrix.
你可以选择蓝色药丸然后保持在舒适的幻觉中 或是选择红色药丸﹐ 了解道德心理学﹐跨越你的道德母体
48.Now, because I know — (Applause) OK, I assume that answers my question.
因为我知道 — (掌声) 我想这已经回答了我的问题
49.I was going to ask you which one you picked, but no need.
我本来想问你们要选哪一个﹐我想不需要了
50.You’re all high in openness to experience, and besides, it looks like it might even taste good, and you’re all epicures.
你们都很爱接受新体验﹐更何况 这看起来很可能很可口 能满足你们的美食主义
51.So anyway, let’s go with the red pill.
总而言之﹐让我们选择红色药丸
52.Let’s study some moral psychology and see where it takes us.
让我们学习一些道德心理学﹐看看我们能了解什么
53.Let’s start at the beginning.
让我们从头开始
54.What is morality and where does it come from?
道德是什么﹖它从哪里来﹖
55.The worst idea in all of psychology is the idea that the mind is a blank slate at birth.
心理学中最糟的想法 便是我们像一张白纸一样出生
56.Developmental psychology has shown that kids come into the world already knowing so much about the physical and social worlds, and programmed to make it really easy for them to learn certain things
发展心理学告诉我们 婴儿来到世界上时已经知道许多 有关世界和社会 让他们变得更易学习
57.and hard to learn others.
却很难向他人学习
58.The best definition of innateness I’ve ever seen — this just clarifies so many things for me — is from the brain scientist Gary Marcus.
有关这些与生俱来的天赋 有个人说的很好 脑科学家 Gary Marcus
59.He says, “The initial organization of the brain does not depend that much on experience.
他说“脑的初始组织不是来自经验
60.Nature provides a first draft, which experience then revises.
自然提供了第一个版本﹐经验只能修改
61.Built-in doesn’t mean unmalleable; it means organized in advance of experience.”
先建不代表不可塑﹔ 而是组织先于经验。”
62.OK, so what’s on the first draft of the moral mind?
那么道德的第一个版本是什么﹖
63.To find out, my colleague Craig Joseph, and I read through the literature on anthropology, on culture variation in morality and also on evolutionary psychology, looking for matches.
我和同事 Craig Joseph 阅读了许多人类学的文献 有关不同文化的道德 同时也在进化心理学里找相同处
64.What are the sorts of things that people talk about across disciplines, that you find across cultures and even across species?
跨领域的人谈论的时候他们都谈论什么 跨文化和跨物种的人又谈论什么﹖
65.We found five — five best matches, which we call the five foundations of morality.
我们总共找到五种 我们称它们为五种道德基础
66.The first one is harm-care.
第一种是伤害-照护
67.We’re all mammals here, we all have a lot of neural and hormonal programming that makes us really bond with others, care for others,
我们都是哺乳类﹐我们都有许多神经和荷尔蒙程序 让我们与他人联结﹐关怀他人
68.feel compassion for others, especially the weak and vulnerable.
同情他人﹐尤其那些脆弱容易受伤的人
69.It gives us very strong feelings about those who cause harm.
让我们对那些造成伤害的人有强烈感觉
70.This moral foundation underlies about 70 percent of the moral statements I’ve heard here at TED.
这个道德基础含括了我在TED所听到的 七成的道德陈述
71.The second foundation is fairness-reciprocity.
第二个道德基础是公平-相等
72.There’s actually ambiguous evidence as to whether you find reciprocity in other animals, but the evidence for people could not be clearer.
有一些模糊的证据 证明你是否能在其它动物身上找到相互性 但在人类身上的例子却再清楚不过了
73.This Norman Rockwell painting is called “The Golden Rule,”
这幅 Norman Rockwell 的画叫做“金科玉律”
74.and we heard about this from Karen Armstrong, of course, as the foundation of so many religions.
Karen Armstrong 也告诉我们 这是很多宗教的基础
75.That second foundation underlies the other 30 percent of the moral statements I’ve heard here at TED.
第二哥道德基础含括了我在TED所听到的 另外三成的道德陈诉
76.The third foundation is in-group loyalty.
第三个基础是团队忠诚
77.You do find groups in the animal kingdom — you do find cooperative groups — but these groups are always either very small or they’re all siblings.
你可以在动物里面找到群体 你可以找到合作团队 但这些组织通常不是很小或是牠们都是兄弟姐妹
78.It’s only among humans that you find very large groups of people who are able to cooperate, join together into groups — but in this case, groups that are united to fight other groups.
只有在人类的世界里你看到一大群人 彼此相处﹐一起合作 但在这例子里﹐团队合作是为了和其它团队斗争
79.This probably comes from our long history of tribal living, of tribal psychology.
这大概是来自我们长时间的部落生态﹐部落心理
80.And this tribal psychology is so deeply pleasurable that even when we don’t have tribes, we go ahead and make them because it’s fun.
这种部落心态实在太愉快了 就算我们已经不在部落里了 我们还是照样因为好玩
81.(Laughter) Sports is to war as pornography is to sex.
(笑声) 运动和战争就像A片和性的关系
82.We get to exercise some ancient, ancient drives.
我们借此发泄那些古老的欲望
83.The fourth foundation is authority-respect.
第四种道德基础是权威-尊敬
84.Here you see submissive gestures from two members of very closely related species — but authority in humans is not so closely based on power and brutality,
从这里你可以看到两种非常接近的物种的服从姿态 但人类的权威不是以权力和暴力为基础
85.as it is in other primates.
像其它动物
86.It’s based on more voluntary deference, and even elements of love, at times.
而是以自愿的服从﹐ 有时候甚至是爱的元素
87.The fifth foundation is purity-sanctity.
第五种基础是纯洁- 神圣
88.This painting is called “The Allegory Of Chastity,”
这幅画是“贞节的寓意”
89.but purity’s not just about suppressing female sexuality.
但纯洁不只是压抑女性性欲
90.It’s about any kind of ideology, any kind of idea that tells you that you can attain virtue by controlling what you do with your body,
而是任何理想﹐任何想法 告诉你只要控制你的身体 你便可以成善
91.by controlling what you put into your body.
只要控制进入你身体的东西
92.And while the political right may moralize sex much more, the political left is really doing a lot of it with food.
右翼喜欢谈论性方面的道德 左翼喜欢用食物
93.Food is becoming extremely moralized nowadays, and a lot of it is ideas about purity, about what you’re willing to touch or put into your body.
今日食物变成一种道德指标 这些观点也来自纯洁 有关你愿意触摸和放进身体的东西
94.I believe these are the five best candidates for what’s written on the first draft of the moral mind.
我相信这是五个最好的候选人 在我们道德思想的初稿上
95.I think this is what we come with at least, a preparedness to learn all of these things.
我相信这是我们与生俱来的 做好准备要来学习这些东西
96.But as my son Max grows up in a liberal college town, how is this first draft going to get revised?
但我的儿子 Max 在一个自由派的大学城里长大 这个初稿将如何被改写﹖
97.And how will it end up being different from a kid born 60 miles south of us in Lynchburg, Virginia?
和在我们南部六十里的乡下 生下来的孩子 又会有什么不同﹖
98.To think about culture variation, let’s try a different metaphor.
当我们想到这些多样文化的时候﹐让我们试试其它隐喻
99.If there really are five systems at work in the mind — five sources of intuitions and emotions — then we can think of the moral mind
如果真的有着五种系统在我们想法里 五种情绪和直觉的来源 我们可以把道德感
100.as being like one of those audio equalizers that has five channels, where you can set it to a different setting on every channel.
当做音响有五种频道的均衡器 你可以在不同频道选择不同的程度
101.And my colleagues, Brian Nosek and Jesse Graham and I, made a questionnaire, which we put up on the Web at www.YourMorals.org.
我的同事 Brian Nosek, Jesse Graham 和我 做了一个问卷﹐放在www.YourMorals.org网站上
102.And so far, 30,000 people have taken this questionnaire, and you can too.
目前为止已经有三万人填写了这个问卷﹐你也可以
103.Here are the results.
结果在这里
104.Here are the results from about 23,000 American citizens.
这里是两万三千个美国公民的结果
105.On the left I’ve plotted the scores for liberals, on the right those for conservatives, in the middle the moderates.
左边是自由派的分数 右边是保守派的﹐中间是中立
106.The blue line shows you people’s responses on the average of all the harm questions.
蓝线是你们的回应 在所有有关伤害的问题上
107.So, as you see, people care about harm and care issues.
你可以看到﹐人们真的很关心伤害和照护的问题
108.They give high endorsement of these sorts of statements all across the board, but as you also see, liberals care about it a little more than conservatives, the line slopes down.
他们很支持这方面的陈述 在整个表上﹐但你也可以看到 自由派比保守派更在乎一些﹐线慢慢降了下来
109.Same story for fairness.
公平也是一样
110.But look at the other three lines, for liberals the scores are very low.
但看看其它三条线 自由派的分数非常低
111.Liberals are basically saying, “No, this is not morality.
基本上自由派是说“这根本不是道德。
112.In-group authority, purity — this stuff has nothing to do with morality. I reject it.”
团体 权威 纯洁 – 这些东西和道德一点关系也没有。我拒绝。”
113.But as people get more conservative, the values rise.
但当人越保守﹐这些价值便提升
114.We can say that liberals have a — kind of a two-channel, or two-foundation morality.
我们可以说自由派有一种 – 双频 或是双基础的道德
115.Conservatives have more of a five-foundation, or five-channel morality.
保守派则是有五基础 或是五频的道德
116.We find this in every country we look at.
我们在每个国家都看到一样的情形
117.Here’s the data for 1,100 Canadians.
这是一千多个加拿大人的数据
118.I’ll just flip through a few other slides.
我会翻过一些其它的国家
119.The the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, the East Asia and South Asia.
英国﹐澳洲 纽西兰 西欧 东欧 拉丁美洲 中东 中亚 和南亚
120.Notice also that on all of these graphs, the slope is steeper on in-group, authority, purity.
你可以看到在这些图表上 在团体 权威 纯洁的差异更大
121.Which shows that within any country, the disagreement isn’t over harm and fairness.
这告诉我们在任何国家 歧见并不是来自伤害和公平
122.Everybody — I mean, we debate over what’s fair — but everybody agrees that harm and fairness matter.
我们讨论什么是公平 但每个人都认同伤害和公平是要紧的
123.Moral arguments within cultures are especially about issues of in-group, authority, purity.
在文化中的道德讨论 通常都与团队 权威 纯洁有关
124.This effect is so robust that we find it no matter how we ask the question.
无论我们怎么提出问题﹐效果还是很明显。
125.In one recent study, we asked people to suppose you’re about to get a dog.
在最近的一项研究中 我们问人们﹕如果你们要买狗
126.You picked a particular breed, you learned some new information about the breed.
你选择了一种特别的品种 后来你知道有关这些品种的一些事
127.Suppose you learn that this particular breed is independent-minded, and relates to its owner as a friend and an equal?
或许你学到这个特别的品种会独立思考 并且把主人当做平等的朋友
128.Well if you are a liberal you say, “Hey, that’s great!”
如果你是自由派你会说“哇!那太好了!”
129.because liberals like to say “Fetch, please.”
因为自由派喜欢说“去接!”
130.(Laughter) But if you’re conservative, that’s not so attractive.
(笑声) 但如果你是保守派﹐这就不是太好
131.If you’re conservative, and you learn that a dog’s extremely loyal to its home and family, and doesn’t warm up quickly to strangers,
如果你是保守派﹐你知道这只狗对牠的家庭非常忠诚 不会很快地和陌生人混熟
132.for conservatives — well, loyalty is good — dogs ought to be loyal.
对保守派来说 忠诚很好 狗就是要忠诚
133.But to a liberal, it sounds like this dog is running for the Republican nomination.
但对自由派来说﹐这听起来 像是这只狗要参加共和党初选了
134.(Laughter) So you might say, OK, there are these differences between liberals and conservatives, but what makes those three other foundations moral?
(笑声) 所以你可能说 好 这就是保守派和自由派的差异 但什么让其它三种基础也成为道德呢﹖
135.Aren’t those just the foundations of xenophobia and authoritarianism and Puritanism?
难道它们不是只是极权主义 排他主义和清教主义的基础吗﹖
136.What makes them moral?
什么让它们变成道德﹖
137.The answer, I think, is contained in this incredible triptych from Hieronymus Bosch, “The Garden of Earthly Delights.”
答案﹐我想﹐就存在布殊这个三联图中 “世俗欲望的乐园。”
138.In the first panel, we see the moment of creation.
在第一幅图里﹐我们看到创造世界时
139.All is ordered, all is beautiful, all the people and animals are doing what they’re supposed to be doing, where they’re supposed to be.
一切都有秩序﹐一些都很美丽﹐所有的人和动物 都在它们应该在的地方做他们应该做的事情
140.But then, given the way of the world, things change.
但因为世俗的一切 事情开始改变
141.We get every person doing whatever he wants, with every aperture of every other person and every other animal.
人们开始任意而为 和任何人和任何动物
142.Some of you might recognize this as the ’60s.
在座的某些人可能会发现这是60年代
143.(Laughter) But the ’60s inevitably gives way to the ’70s, where the cuttings of the apertures hurt a little bit more.
(笑声) 但60年代终究被70年代取代 这些裂缝开始令人痛苦
144.Of course, Bosch called this Hell.
当然 布殊称这为地狱
145.So this triptych, these three panels, portray the timeless truth that order tends to decay.
在这个三联画中﹐三片图 描绘了秩序逐渐腐败的真实
146.The truth of social entropy.
社会消减的事实
147.But lest you think this is just some part of the Christian imagination where Christians have this weird problem with pleasure, here’s the same story, the same progression,
你们可能只会想这只是基督徒的想象 因为基督徒老是要跟欢愉过不去 这里有一个一样的故事 一样的演进
148.told in a paper that was published in Nature a few years ago, in which Ernst Fehr and Simon Gachter had people play a commons dilemma.
在自然杂志中刊登的一篇文章里 Ernst Fehr 和 Simon Gachter 要人们思考一个常见的难题
149.A game in which you give people money, and then on each round of the game, they can put money into a common pot, and then the experimenter doubles what’s in there,
你给人们钱 然后在每一轮游戏结束前 他们可以把钱放进一个共享壶里 实验者把里面的钱变双份
150.and then it’s all divided among the players.
然后再分给所有玩家
151.So it’s a really nice analog for all sorts of environmental issues where we’re asking people to make a sacrifice and they themselves don’t really benefit from their own sacrifice.
这就像许多环境议题 我们要求人们做出牺牲 他们自己不会从牺牲中得到什么
152.But you really want everybody else to sacrifice, but everybody has a temptation to a free ride.
但你总是要其它人牺牲 但人总有搭便车的想法
153.And what happens is that at first, people start off reasonably cooperative — and this is all played anonymously — on the first round, people give about half of the money that they can.
刚开始﹐人们较为合作 这是无名制的 — 第一轮﹐人们给出一半的钱
154.But they quickly see, “You know what, other people aren’t doing so much though.
但他们很快知道”说真的﹐其它人没有做这么多。
155.I don’t want to be a sucker. I’m not going to cooperate.”
我才不是笨蛋。我不要合作。“
156.And so cooperation quickly decays from reasonably good, down to close to zero.
于是合作关系很快的从还不错﹐落到几乎没有
157.But then — and here’s the trick — Fehr and Gachter said — on the seventh round they told people, “You know what? New rule.
但是 – 诀窍在这 Fehr 和 Gachter 在第七轮的时候和每个人说 ”好的﹐新规则
158.If you want to give some of your own money to punish people who aren’t contributing, you can do that.”
如果你要给一些钱 来惩罚那些没有贡献的人﹐你可以这样做。“
159.And as soon as people heard about the punishment issue going on, cooperation shoots up.
当人们听到惩罚的时候 马上变得合作
160.It shoots up and it keeps going up.
不但合作 而且继续加强
161.There’s a lot of research showing that to solve cooperative problems, it really helps.
有许多研究表示在解决合作问题上 这有明显的帮助
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧