JamesBalog_定时拍摄记录极度快速流失的冰层【中英文对照】

1.Most of the time, art and science stare at each other across a gulf of mutual incomprehension.
很多时候,艺术和科学 隔着一条不可逾越的鸿沟注视着对方。
2.There is great confusion when the two look at each other.
当它俩互视时彼此存在着巨大的困惑。
3.Art, of course, looks at the world through the psyche, the emotions — even the unconscious at times — and of course the aesthetic.
艺术,当然,通过心灵、情感 –甚至有时侯潜意识–还有审美观来观察世界。
4.Science tends to look at the world through the rational, the quantitative — things that can be measured and described — but it gives art a terrific context for [knowledge and] understanding.
科学趋向于通过理智、数量– 可以测量和描述的事物–来观察世界, 但是它提供给艺术一个很棒的(知识和)认知环境。
5.In the Extreme Ice Survey, we’re dedicated to bringing those two parts of human understanding together, merging art and science to the end of helping us understand nature
在“极端冰层调查”中, 我们致力于把人类认知的这两部分结合在一起, 把艺术和科学融合 最后来帮助我们更好地了解自然
6.and humanity’s relationship with nature better.
和人类的关系。
7.Specifically, as a person who’s been a professional nature photographer my whole adult life, I am firmly of the belief that photography, video and film
特别作为一个 当了大半辈子专业自然摄影师的人, 我坚信照片,视频和电影
8.have tremendous power to help us understand, and shape the way we think about nature and about ourselves in relationship to nature.
有着很强大的力量来帮助我们了解, 并塑造大家对自然的思考 以及自身与自然关系。
9.In this project, we’re specifically interested, of course, in ice.
在这个项目中,我们特别感兴趣的,当然,是冰层。
10.I’m fascinated by the beauty of it, the mutability of it, the malleability of it, and the fabulous shapes in which it can carve itself.
我着迷于它的美丽,它的变化无常, 它的柔韧, 以及它可以自我雕刻出来的绝妙形态。
11.These first images are from Greenland.
第一批影像来自于格陵兰岛。
12.But ice has another meaning.
但是冰层有另一层意义。
13.Ice is the canary in the global coal mine.
冰层是全球气候的预兆(“煤矿上的金丝雀”意思是未来的预兆,到二十世纪采矿公司还常利用金丝雀异常反应来探测矿内煤气的浓度)。
14.It’s the place where we can see and touch and hear and feel climate change in action.
在这里我们可以看到、摸到、听到并确切感受到正在发生的气候变化。
15.Climate change is a really abstract thing in most of the world.
在世界大多数地方气候变化是很抽象的。
16.Whether or not you believe in it is based on your sense of whether it is raining more or it is raining less, whether it is getting hotter or getting colder.
不管你是否相信它是基于你的感觉 不管是雨下得多了还是下得少了, 不管天气变热了还是变冷了。
17.Or on what the computer models say about this, that and the other measurement.
或者基于一些计算机模型的结论,还有一些其它的测量。
18.All of that, strip it away. In the world of the arctic and alpine environments, where the ice is, [climate change] is real and it’s present.
所有那些,都不要管了。在北极和阿尔卑斯的冰冻环境中, 在冰层存在的地方,[气候变化]是真实的,是存在的。
19.The changes are happening. They’re very visible.
多个变化正在发生。它们是显而易见的。
20.They’re photographable. They’re measurable.
它们是能拍摄出来的。它们是能测量的出来的。
21.95 percent of the glaciers in the world are retreating or shrinking.
世界百分之九十五的冰川正在消退和萎缩,
22.That’s outside Antarctica.
那是在南极外面。
23.95 percent of the glaciers in the world are retreating or shrinking because precipitation patterns and temperature patterns are changing.
世界百分之九十五的冰川正在消退和萎缩, 因为降雨模式和温度模式正在变化。
24.There is no significant scientific dispute about that.
科学上对此没有任何的异议。
25.It’s been observed, it’s measured, it’s bomb-proof information.
已经被观察到的,测量出来的,都是雷打不动的信息。
26.And the great irony and tragedy of our time is that a lot of the general public thinks that science is still arguing about that.
我们这个时代的巨大的讽刺和悲剧 是很多公众认为科学对气候变化还有争论。
27.Science is not arguing about that.
科学上没有对其争论。
28.In these images we see ice from enormous glaciers, ice sheets that are hundreds of thousands of years old breaking up into chunks, and chunk, by chunk, by chunk,
在这些图像里我们看到巨型冰川上的冰, 有着千百年历史的冰原 碎裂成一块又一块,
29.iceberg, by iceberg, turning into global sea level rise.
一座又一座的冰山,变成了全球升高的海平面。
30.So, having seen all this in the course of a 30-year career, I was still a skeptic about climate change until about 10 years ago, because I thought the story of climate change was based on computer models.
所以,在30年的职业生涯中见识了这些之后, 我还是对气候变化执怀疑态度,直到大概十年前, 因为我以前觉得气候变化的故事是建立在计算机模型基础上的。
31.I hadn’t realized it was based on concrete measurements of what the paleo climates — the ancient climates — were, as recorded in the ice sheets, as recorded in deep ocean sediments,
我曾没有没意识到它是基于坚实的 历史气候测量数据–古代的气候– 这些数据记录在冰原里,记录在深海沉积岩里,
32.as recorded in lake sediments, tree rings, and a lot of other ways of measuring temperature.
记录在湖底沉积岩里,树木年轮里, 还有很多其他的温度测量方法里。
33.When I realized that climate change was real, and it was not based on computer models, I decided that one day I would do a project looking at trying to manifest climate change photographically.
当我认识到气候变化是真实的,它不是建立在计算机模型上时, 我决定总有一天我要做一个项目 就是试着用摄影来表现气候的变化。
34.And that led me to this project.
然后我被引到了这个项目上。
35.Initially, I was working on a National Geographic assignment, conventional, single frame, still photography.
开始的时候,我在做《国家地理》的任务, 传统的,单画面,只是拍照。
36.And one crazy day, I got the idea that I should — after that assignment was finished — I got the idea that I should shoot in time-lapse photography,
有一天突发奇想,我想到我应该 -在那个任务完成之后- 我想到我应该拍摄定时照片,
37.that I should station a camera, or two, at a glacier and let it shoot every 15 minutes, or every hour, or whatever and watch the progression of the landscape over time.
我应该安扎一台摄像机,或者两台,对准一个冰川 让它每15分钟拍一次,或者每一个小时,或者其他 并观察地貌随时间的变化。
38.Well, within about three weeks, I incautiously turned that idea of a couple of time-lapse cameras into 25 time-lapse cameras.
最后,三个星期不到, 我不小心把想法从两台摄相机 变成了25台定时拍摄相机。
39.And the next six months of my life were the hardest time in my career, trying to design, build and deploy out in the field these 25 time-lapse cameras.
接下来的6个月是我职业生涯中最艰难的时候, 努力设计,制作和在野外部署这25台定时拍摄相机。
40.They are powered by the sun. Solar panels power them.
它们用的是太阳能。太阳能板给它们能量。
41.Power goes into a battery. There is a custom made computer that tells the camera when to fire.
能量充进电池。那有一台定制的计算机 会告诉相机什么时候开拍
42.And these cameras are positioned on rocks on the sides of the glaciers, and they look in on the glacier from permanent, bedrock positions,
这些相机安放在冰川边的岩石上, 并且它们从稳定的岩床位置观望冰川,
43.and they watch the evolution of the landscape.
同时它们能看到地貌的不断演变。
44.We just had a number of cameras out on the Greenland Ice Sheet.
我们刚在格陵兰冰原上放出了一些摄相机。
45.We actually drilled holes into the ice, way deep down below the thawing level and left the cameras out there for the past month and a half or so.
过去的一个半月左右时间,我们其实在冰层上凿洞,一直凿到融化层以下 然后把相机放置在那儿。
46.Actually, there’s still a camera out there right now.
其实,现在在那儿还有一台摄相机。
47.In any case, the cameras shoot roughly every hour, every half hour, every 15 minutes, every five minutes.
任何情况下,相机大概每一个小时, 每半个小时,每十五分钟,每五分钟拍一次。
48.Here’s a time lapse of one of the time-lapse units being made.
这是定时拍摄怎样制作一台定时拍摄相机。
49.(Laughter) I personally obsessed about every nut, bolt and washer in these crazy things.
(笑声) 我个人疯狂对这些事务中的每个螺母,螺帽和垫圈都很着迷。
50.I spent half my life at our local hardware store during the months when we built these units originally.
我一半的时间花在了当地的五金店里 在过去的几个月的时间中我们原创了这些部件。
51.We’re working in most of the major glaciated regions of the northern hemisphere.
我们对大部分北半球的主要冰川覆盖地区做研究。
52.Our time-lapse units are in Alaska, the Rockies, Greenland, and Iceland, and we have repeat photography positions, that is places we just visit on an annual basis,
我们的定时拍摄机组在阿拉斯加,洛基山脉,格陵兰岛和冰岛, 并且我们会重复的拍摄一些地点, 也就是我们每年都去的地方,
53.in British Columbia, the Alps and Bolivia.
在不列颠哥伦比亚省(加拿大),阿尔卑斯山,和玻利维亚。
54.It’s a big undertaking. I stand here before you tonight as an ambassador for my whole team.
这是一项艰巨的工作。我今晚站在你们面前 代表的是我们整个团队。
55.There’s a lot of people working on this right now.
此时有很多人在这个项目上工作。
56.We’ve got 33 cameras out this moment.
此刻我们有33台摄相机在外面。
57.We just had 33 cameras shoot about half an hour ago all across the northern hemisphere, watching what’s happened.
大概半小时之前我们拍了33张照 跨越整个北半球,观察发生了什么。
58.And we’ve spent a lot of time in the field. It’s been a fantastic amount of work.
我们在野外花了很多时间。完成的工作量是惊人的。
59.We’ve been out for two and a half years, and we’ve got about another two and a half years yet to go.
我们出去已经有两年半了, 而且我们大概还要两年半的工作要做。
60.That’s only half our job.
那也只是我们一半的工作。
61.The other half of our job is to tell the story to the global public.
还有另一半工作是向全球的公众讲述这个故事。
62.You know, scientists have collected this kind of information off and on over the years, but a lot of it stays within the science community.
你知道,科学家们这些年断断续续地搜集了此类信息, 但很多信息却保留在了科学圈内。
63.Similarly, a lot of art projects stay in the art community, and I feel very much a responsibility through mechanisms like TED, and like our relationship with the Obama White House,
相似地,很多艺术项目也只保留在艺术圈内, 我感觉有很大的责任通过像TED这样的机制, 通过像我们和奥巴马政府,
64.with the Senate, with John Kerry’s office, to influence policy as much as possible with these pictures as well.
和参议院,和John Kerry办公室的这些关系来影响政策 通过这些照片影响越多越好。
65.We’ve done films. We’ve done books. We have more coming.
我们拍了电影。我们出了书。我们还有更多的要做。
66.We have a site on Google Earth that Google Earth was generous enough to give us — all of it because we feel very much the need to tell this story,
我们在Google Earth上有一个站点 Google Earth非常慷慨地为我们提供– 所有这些都是因为我们觉得急需讲述这个故事,
67.because it is such an immediate evidence of ongoing climate change right now.
因为它是当下持续气候变化立竿见影的证据。
68.Now, one bit of science before we get into the visuals.
现在,我们在看图片之前先讲点科学。
69.If everybody in the developed world understood this graph, and emblazoned it on the inside of their foreheads, there would be no further societal argument about climate change
如果每个发达国家的人都理解这张图表, 而且把它牢牢印记在脑海里的话, 这个社会就不会有更多关于气候变化的争论了。
70.because this is the story that counts.
因为这才是一个有意义的故事。
71.Everything else you hear is just propaganda and confusion.
你听到的其他任何事都只是鼓吹和混淆视听。
72.Key issues: this is a 400,000 year record.
重点问题:这是一个400,000年的记录结果。
73.This exact same pattern is seen going back now almost a million years before our current time.
我们可以看到跟以往 大概一百万年前的走势是完全一样的。
74.And several things are important.
而且有几件事很重要。
75.Number one: temperature and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere go up and down basically in sync.
第一:温度和大气的二氧化碳含量 同步上升和下降。
76.You can see that from the orange line and the blue line.
你可以从橙色和蓝色线中看出来。
77.Nature has naturally allowed carbon dioxide to go up to 280 parts per million.
自然允许了二氧化碳自然上升到280ppm(ppm是百万分比浓度单位)
78.That’s the natural cycle.
那是一个自然周期。
79.Goes up to 280 and then drops for various reasons that aren’t important to discuss right now.
上升到280ppm然后下降 它由很多原因引起,但对今天的讨论不重要。
80.But 280 is the peak.
但280是顶点。
81.Right now, if you look at the top right part of that graph, we’re at 385 parts per million.
现在,来看一下图表的右上部分, 我们处于385ppm。
82.We are way, way outside the normal, natural variability.
我们已经远远超出了正常的,自然的波动范围。
83.Earth is having a fever.
地球在发烧。
84.In the past hundred years, the temperature of the earth has gone up 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit, .75 degrees Celsius and it’s going to keep going up
在过去的几百年里,地球的温度 已经上升了1.3华氏度, 0.75摄氏度 而且它在继续上升
85.because we keep dumping fossil fuels into the atmosphere.
因为我们一直在向大气排放矿物燃料。
86.At the rate of about two and a half parts per million per year.
以每年2.5ppm的速度。
87.It’s been a remorseless, steady increase.
它一直在无情地,持续地增加。
88.We have to turn that around.
我们必须扭转这个趋势。
89.That’s the crux, and someday I hope to emblazon that across Times Square in New York and a lot of other places.
那才是关键,而我希望有一天把那刻饰在 整个纽约的时代广场和很多其他的地方上。
90.But anyway, off to the world of ice.
好,回到冰的世界。
91.We’re now at the Columbia Glacier in Alaska.
我们现在来到阿拉斯加的哥伦比亚冰川。
92.This is a view of what’s called the calving face.
这是一个叫做冰解面的景象。
93.This is what one of our cameras saw over the course of a few months.
这是我们的一台摄相机在几个月间拍到的。
94.You see see the glacier flowing in from the right, dropping off into the sea, camera shooting every hour.
你可以看到冰川从右边滑入, 一直掉入海里,摄相机每小时拍一次。
95.If you look in the middle background, you can see the calving face bobbing up and down like a yo-yo.
如果你看一下中间的背景, 你可以看到冰解面像悠悠球一样上下摆动
96.That means that glacier’s floating and it’s unstable, and you’re about to see the consequences of that floating.
那表示冰川在浮动而且不稳定, 你即将看到浮动的后果。
97.To give you a little bit of a sense of scale, that calving face in this picture is about 325 ft tall. That’s 32 stories.
让你有一点规模的概念, 图片中的冰解面 大概有325英尺高。相当于32层楼高。
98.This is not a little cliff. This is like a major office building in an urban center.
那可不是一个小悬崖。这像是市区中心的一幢大办公楼。
99.The calving face is the wall where the visible ice breaks off, but in fact, it goes down below sea level another couple thousand feet.
冰解面是可以看到冰块脱离的墙面, 但事实上,它向海平面以下还延伸了两千英尺。
100.So there’s a wall of ice a couple thousand feet deep going down  to bedrock, if the glacier’s grounded on bedrock, and floating if it isn’t.
所以还有两千英尺深的一堵冰墙 一直下到岩层,如果冰川坐落在岩层上的话, 或者整个在漂浮。
101.Here’s what Columbia’s done. This is in south central Alaska.
这是发生在哥伦比亚的,中心阿拉斯加南部。
102.This was an aerial picture I did one day in June three years ago.
这是我在三年前六月某一天的空拍照片。
103.This is an aerial picture we did this year.
这是我们今年的一张空拍照片。
104.That’s the retreat of this glacier.
那是冰川消退的情况。
105.The main stem, the main flow of the glacier is coming from the right and it’s going very rapidly up that stem.
冰川的主干道,涌动的方向是从右边过来 在主干道上变化得非常快。
106.We’re going to be up there in just a few more weeks, and we expect that it’s probably retreated another half a mile, but if I got there and discovered that it had collapsed
再过几个星期我们要去那里, 我们猜想它可能又后退了半英里, 但是如果我到那儿发现它已经坍塌了
107.and it was five miles further back, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised.
而且往后又退了五英里,我一点也不会感到奇怪。
108.Now it’s really hard to grasp the scale of these places because as the glaciers — one of the things is that places like Alaska and Greenland are huge,
现在已经很难掌握这些地方的规模了 因为这些冰川– 要知道像阿拉斯加和格陵兰是很大的地方,
109.they’re not normal landscapes — but as the glaciers are retreating, they’re also deflating, like air being let out of a balloon.
他们有着不一般的地貌– 冰川消退时,也在浮动, 像空气从气球里放出来一样。
110.And so, there are features on this landscape.
因此这种地貌上的一些特征。
111.There’s a ridge right in the middle of the picture, up above where that arrow comes in, that shows you that a little bit.
在图片的正中间有一个山脊,在箭头进来的上面, 在那儿你可以看出一二。
112.There’s a marker line called the trim line above our little red illustration there.
那儿有一条标线叫边线 在我们红色标注的上面。
113.This is something no self respecting photographer would ever do — you put some cheesy illustration on his shot, right?
这可不是一般自重的摄影师会做的事情– 在他的照片上放一些假惺惺的图标,对不对?
114.and yet you have to do it sometimes to narrate these points.
但是你有时候还是得做一下以阐述这些观点。
115.But, in any case, the deflation of this glacier since 1984 has been higher than the Eiffel Tower, higher than the Empire State Building.
但是,不管怎样,自从1984年以来,这个冰川的缩小 已经超过了埃菲尔铁塔的高度,超过了帝国大厦的高度。
116.A tremendous amount of ice has been let out of these valleys as it’s retreated and deflated, gone back up valley.
在冰川消退,收缩,回归的过程中, 这些峡谷流失了数量巨大的冰
117.These changes in the alpine world are accelerating.
在阿尔卑斯范围发生的变化正在加速。
118.It’s not static.
它不是静态的。
119.Particularly in the world of sea ice, the rate of natural change is outstripping predictions of just a few years ago and the processes either are accelerating
特别是在海洋冰川的世界里, 自然变化的速度已经超过了才几年前的预测 或者说这些过程在加速
120.or the predictions were too low to begin with.
或者说这些预测一开始就太慢了。
121.But in any case, there are big, big changes happening as we speak.
但是不管怎样,我们说的这会儿还有很大很大的变化在发生。
122.So, here’s another time-lapse shot of Columbia.
呃,这是另一组定时拍摄的哥伦比亚。
123.And you see where it ended in these various spring days, June, May, then October.
你看到它春天每次结束的地方都不同。 六月,五月,然后十月。
124.Now we turn on our time lapse.
现在我们启动定时拍摄。
125.This camera was shooting every hour.
这个摄相机每小时拍一次。
126.Geologic process in action here.
正在发生的地理变化。
127.And everybody says, well don’t they advance in the winter time.
每个人会说,难道它们冬天不会扩大吗?
128.No. It was retreating through the winter because it’s an unhealthy glacier.
不会。整个冬天它都在后退因为它是一座不健康的冰川。
129.Finally catches up to itself, it advances.
终于它恢复过来,向前扩张。
130.And you can look at these pictures over and over again because there’s such a strange, bizarre fascination in seeing these things you don’t normally get to see come alive.
你可以一遍又一遍地看这些照片 因为看到这些东西是那么奇怪,稀奇却让人着迷 你平常不会看到他们生动的一面。
131.We’ve been talking about seeing is believing and seeing the unseen at TED Global.
我们在这里讨论看得到的才是可信的 在TED Global看到从没见过的事物。

ted演讲稿中英文对照

JacquelineNovogratz_谈脱离贫困【中英文对照】

2024-3-23 13:20:30

ted演讲稿中英文对照

JamesGeary_暗喻言说【中英文对照】

2024-3-23 13:21:55

搜索