1.I have, like, a thing about sleeping.
我,好像,对睡觉有点看法。
2.I don’t sleep that much, and I’ve come to this thing about, like, not sleeping much as being a great virtue, after years of kind of
我睡得不是很多。 而我已经把睡得少这件事 视为一个很大的美德,经过多年
3.battling it as being a terrible detriment, or something.
的思想斗争,因为我一度认为睡眠不足是有害健康的。
4.And now I really like sort of sitting up, you know.
而现在我在某种程度上真的很喜欢坐着熬夜,你知道。
5.But for years I’ve been sitting up and I think that, like, my creativity is greatly motivated by this kind of insomnia.
但是这么多年,我都这么坐着熬夜, 我想大概我的创造力在很大程度上是被这种失眠症所激发出来的。
6.I lie awake. I think thoughts. I walk aimlessly.
我清醒的躺着,我考虑各种想法,我漫步目的的走着。
7.Sometimes I used to walk more at night.
有时候,我很习惯在夜里散布。
8.I walk during the day and I follow people who I think look interesting.
在白天走路,而且跟着那些看起来很有趣的人。
9.(Laughter) And sometimes — actually, once it was on Page Six in The Post, that I was cruising this guy, like, sort of, whatever, but I was actually just following because he had these really great shoes on.
(笑声) 而有时候–事实上,曾经登载The Post的第六页上, 像是在跟踪这个男的,不管怎样, 而我跟着他的真正原因是他穿着一双真的很好的鞋。
10.And so I was following this guy.
所以我就跟着这个男的。
11.And I took a picture of his shoes, and we thanked each other and just went on our way.
然后给他的鞋子照了一张相, 还互相握了手然后就各走各的了。
12.But I do that all the time.
而我一直都是这个样子的。
13.As a matter of fact, I think a lot of my design ideas come from mistakes and tricks of the eye.
事实上,我想很多我的设计理念 都来自于错误和眼睛造成的错觉。
14.Because I feel like, you know, there are so many images out there, so many clothes out there.
因为我觉得好像,你知道,到处都有很多画面 到处都有很多服装。
15.And the only ones that look interesting to me are the ones that look slightly mistaken, of course, or very, very surprising.
而仅有的那些让我感兴趣的 就是看起来好像有点错的,当然, 或者非常非常令人惊叹的。
16.And often, I’m driving in a taxi and I see a hole in a shirt, or something that looks very interesting or pretty or functional in some way that I’d never seen happen before.
而且经常,我在出租车里, 看到衬衫的一个洞,或者别的什么东西, 那看起来很有趣,或者说好看或者很实用的设计 从某种意思上我以前从来没有见过。
17.And so I’d make the car stop, and I’d get out of the car and walk, and see that in fact there wasn’t a hole, but it was trick of my eye,
于是我让车停下来,然后下了车走路, 后来发现实际上没有洞,而仅仅是眼睛的错觉,
18.it was a shadow, you know.
那不过是一个影子,你知道。
19.Or if there was a hole I’d think like, oh damn, there was actually someone thought of that thought already.
我又想或者真的是有一个洞,啊完了, 已经有人想到过这个想法了。
20.Someone made that mistake already so I can’t do it anymore.
有人已经犯了那样的错,所以我不能再那么做了。
21.I don’t know where inspiration comes from.
我不知道灵感是从哪里来的。
22.It does not come for me from research.
对于我来说,它不来自于研究。
23.I don’t get necessarily inspired by research.
我不必需要研究来激发我的灵感。
24.As a matter of fact, one of the most fun things I’ve ever, ever done in my whole life, was this Christmas season at the Guggenheim in New York.
事实上,最好笑的一件事, 我曾经,曾经在我整个生命里做过的, 是在圣诞节期间在纽约的古根海姆
25.I read Peter and the Wolf with this beautiful band from Juilliard.
我在来自朱利亚德的完美乐团的陪伴下读了比特和狼
26.And I did like, you know, the narrator, and I read it.
你知道,我像一个讲述者一样,读了它。
27.And I saw this really smart critic who I love.
我发现了这个我喜欢的极其聪明的评论家
28.This woman, Joan Acocella, who’s a friend of mine, and she came backstage and she said, oh, you know, Isaac, did you know that, talking about Stalinism,
这个女的叫琼 艾克希拉,我的一个朋友, 她来到后台,说 哦,你知道, 艾萨克,你知道吗,说道斯大林主义,
29.and talking about, you know, like the ’30s in Russia.
还提到,你知道,大概三十年代的俄国。
30.And I said, how do I know about Stalinism?
我说,我怎么可能是到斯大林主义呢?
31.I know about a wolf and a bird and, you know, he ate the bird, and then in the end you hear, you know, you hear the bird squeaking, or something, you know?
我知道哦一只狼和一只鸟,你知道, 他把鸟吃了,然后最后你也听到,你知道, 你听到鸟吱吱的叫,或者别的什么,你知道?
32.So I don’t really know that. I don’t really — actually I do my own kind of research, you know.
所以我不是很清楚那个,真的不是很清楚– 事实上我会做我自己独特的研究,你知道,
33.If I’m commissioned to do the costumes for an 18th-century opera, or something like that, I will do a lot of research, because it’s interesting,
如果我受托为18世纪的歌剧或者别的类似的场合做服装, 我会做很多研究,因为那样很有趣,
34.not because it’s because what I’m supposed to do.
不是因为那是我应该做的才去做。
35.I’m very, very, very inspired by movies.
电影特别,特别,特别能激起我的灵感。
36.The color of movies and the way light makes the colors, light from behind the projection, or light from the projection, makes the colors look so impossible.
电影里的颜色以及灯光照亮颜色的方式, 来自放映机后面的光线, 或者来自于放映机本身的光线,让这些色彩看起来这么的不真实。
37.And anyway, roll this little clip, I’ll just show you.
不管怎么说,放一下这个小片段,给你们看看,
38.I sit up at night and I watch movies and I watch women in movies a lot.
我在晚上坐着看电影, 在电影里经常观察女人。
39.And I think about, you know, their roles, and about you have to like watch what your daughters look at.
我会思考,你知道,她们的角色, 你也要试着喜欢看你女儿看的电影。
40.Because I look at the way women are portrayed all the time.
因为我总是会去观察描绘女人的方式
41.Whether they’re kind of glorified in this way, or whether they’re kind of, you know, ironically glorified.
不管是对她们是赞美, 或者,你知道,对她们是具有讽刺意味的赞美。
42.or whether they’re, you know, sort of denigrated, or ironically denigrated.
或者她们,你知道,在某种程度上被诋毁,或者讥讽地毁谤。
43.I go back to color all the time.
我永远都会再回到色彩上来。
44.Color is something that motivates me a lot It’s rarely color that I find in nature, although, you know, juxtaposed next to artificial color
色彩是非常能激发我灵感的事物。 我在自然界中很难发现的色彩, 尽管,你知道,与人造色并列在一起
45.natural color is so beautiful.
自然的颜色是如此的美丽。
46.So that’s what I do. I study color a lot.
所以那就是我做的。我对色彩做了很多研究
47.But for the most part, I think, like, how can I ever make anything that is as beautiful as that image of Natalie Wood?
但是大部分时间,我想,似乎,我怎么可能做出 像娜塔莉伍德的画面那样美丽的事物呢?
48.How can I ever make anything as beautiful as Greta Garbo?
我怎么可能做出想葛瑞塔 嘎博那么美丽的事物呢?
49.I mean, that’s just not possible, you know.
我的意思是,那是不可能的,你知道。
50.And so that’s what makes me lie awake at night, I guess, you know.
所以那就是让我在夜里躺着不睡的原因吧,我猜,你知道。
51.I want to show you — I’m also like a big — I go to astrologers and tarot card readers often, and that’s another thing that motivates me a lot.
我想给你们看看–我也想一个大– 我常常会去找占星家和塔罗牌算命者。 那也是另一件激发我灵感的事。
52.People say, oh, do that. And astrologer tells me to do something.
人们说,噢,做那个。而占星家告诉我做一些事。
53.So I do it.
所以我做了。
54.(Laughter) When I was about 21, an astrologer told me that I was going to meet the man of my dreams, and that his name was going to be Eric, right?
(笑声) 我21岁的时候,一个占星家告诉我 我会遇到我梦寐的男人 而他的名字将会是艾瑞克,是吗?
55.So, you know, for years I would go to bars and sort of anyone I met who’s name was Eric I was humping immediately, or something.
所以,你知道,很多年我都应该到酒吧 然后我遇到的任何叫艾瑞克的人 我都会立即XX一下或者什么的。
56.(Laughter) And there were times when I was actually so desparate I would just, you know, walk into a room and just go like, Eric.
(笑声) 有时候我实际上是很绝望的 我会就,你知道,走进一间房然后就喊“艾瑞克”
57.And anybody who would turn around I would, sort of, make a beeline for.
然后任何回头看的人,我差不多都会径直走过去。
58.(Laughter) And I had this really interesting tarot reading a long time ago.
(笑声) 很久以前我有这么一个读塔罗牌的有趣经历
59.The last card he pulled, which was representing my destiny was this guy on like a straw boater with a cane and you know, sort of spats and this, you know, a minstrel singer, right?
他最后拉出来的卡,代表我的命运 画着一个戴草帽,拿手杖的男人 脚上带着类似鞋罩的东西,像一个吟游诗人
60.I want to show you this clip because I do this kind of crazy thing where I do a cabaret act.
我想想大家展示一个片子,因为我在做歌舞表演的时候 做了这样疯狂的事
61.So actually, check this out.
看一下就知道了
62.Very embarrassing.
很丢脸的。
63.(Video): Thank you. We can do anything you ask.
(视频):谢谢,我们能做一切你要求的事情
64.The name of the show is based on this story that I have to tell you about my mother.
这个节目的名字是源于这样一个故事, 是关于我母亲的,给你们讲讲。
65.It’s sort of an excerpt from a quote of hers.
从某种程度上来说像是出自自她说的话。
66.I was dating this guy, right?
那时候我在和一个男的约会。
67.And this has to do with being happy, I swear.
只是因为和他在一起很开心,我发誓。
68.I was dating this guy and it was going on for about a year, right.
我和他交往了差不多持续了一年
69.And we were getting serious, so we decided to invite them all to dinner, our parents.
我们彼此都很认真。 所以我们决定请我们的父母一起共进晚餐。
70.And we, you know, sort of introduced them to each other.
我们就,介绍他们互相认识。
71.My mother was, sort of, very sensitive to his mother, who it seemed was a little bit skeptical about whole alternative lifestyle thing.
我母亲对于他的母亲有点太过敏感。 他母亲对于整个非主流的生活方式秉持着怀疑的态度。
72.You know, homosexuality, right?
你知道,就是同性恋。
73.So my mother was a little offended. She turned to her and she said, “Are you kidding? They have the greatest life together.
所以我母亲感觉被冒犯了。她就转过去对着她说, “你是在开玩笑吗?他们是天生的一对。
74.They eat out, they see shows.”
他们一起吃饭,一起看表演。”
75.They eat out, they see shows.
他们一起去吃饭,他们一起去表演。
76.(Laughter) That’s the name of the show, they eat out, they — that’s on my tombstone when I die.
(笑声) 这就是这个节目的名字。他们一起去吃饭,他们– 我死了以后就会在我的墓碑上刻这句话。
77.”He ate out, he saw shows,” right?
“他曾经去吃饭,去看表演”,是吧
78.So in editing these clips, I didn’t have the audacity to edit a clip of me singing at Joe’s Pub.
在剪辑这个片子的时候,我没有这么厚的脸皮 去把我在Joe’s 酒吧里面唱歌的片段剪出来。
79.So you’ll have to, like, go check it out and come see me or something.
所以你们可能得亲自去看我的表演
80.Because it’s mortifying, and yet it feels …
因为有点羞耻,而感觉像是…
81.I don’t know how to put this.
我不知道怎么去形容这个。
82.I feel as little comfort as possible is a good thing, you know.
我觉得越不自在,反而是一件好事。
83.And at least, you know, in my case, because if I just do one thing all the time, I don’t know, I get very, very bored. I bore very easily.
至少对于我来说是这样的, 因为,如果我一直都在做同一件事, 我不知道,我就会非常非常的无聊。我很容易变得无聊。
84.And you know, I don’t say that I do everything well, I just say that I do a lot of things, that’s all.
我不是在说我能把每一件事都做好。 我只是说我会做很多的事,仅此而已。
85.And I kind of try not to look back, you know.
我会试图不去回顾以前的事。
86.Except, I guess, that’s what staying up every night is about.
除非…我猜,我每晚不睡觉就是为了这个,
87.Like, looking back and thinking, what a fool you made of yourself, you know.
像,回顾和思考,你把你自己变得如此的傻逼。
88.But I guess that’s okay. Right?
但是我想这还是可以的吧,是吧?
89.Because if you do many things you get to feel lousy about everything, and not just one, you know.
因为如果你做很多事, 你就会对每一件事都感到糟糕, 而且不是只有一件。
90.You don’t master feeling lousy about one thing.
你不会精通于对一件事感到恼人的。
91.Yeah, exactly.
是的,确实是这样的。
92.I will show you this next thing, speaking of costumes for operas.
接下来我给你们看看这个, 说到歌剧的服饰
93.I do work with different choreographers.
我和很多不同的编舞家合作过。
94.I work with Twyla Tharp a lot, and I work with Mark Morris a lot, who is one of my best friends.
像是Twyla,Tharp,很多 还和马克莫瑞斯合作了很多, 他是我最好的朋友之一。
95.And I designed three operas with him.
我和他一起设计了三部歌剧。
96.And the most recent one, “King Arthur.”
最近的这个是,“亚瑟王”
97.I’d been very ingrained in the dance world since I was a teenager.
我和舞蹈世界的渊源很深 我还是青少年的时候,
98.I went to performing arts high school, where I was an actor.
我在高中读了演绎艺术 那时候我是个演员
99.And many of my friends were ballet dancers.
我很多的朋友都是芭蕾舞者
100.Again, I don’t know where inspiration comes from.
我还是不是到灵感是从哪里来的。
101.I don’t know where it comes from.
我不知道它从哪里就冒出来了。
102.I started making puppets when I was a kid.
我还是个小孩的时候我就开始做玩偶。
103.Maybe that’s where the whole inspiration thing started from, puppets, right.
可能那就是我灵感开始的地方,玩偶!
104.And then performing arts high school.
然后就是表演艺术高中
105.There I was in high school, meeting dancers and acting.
那时我在高中, 认识了一些舞者也做了表演。
106.And somehow, from there, I got interested in design.
不知道怎么的,从那时候开始我就着迷于设计。
107.I went to Parsons School of Design and then I began my career as a designer.
我去了帕森斯设计学院学习, 后来我就开始了我设计师的职业生涯。
108.I don’t really think of myself as a designer, I don’t really think of myself necessarily as a fashion designer.
我不太认为自己是一个设计师。 我也不太认为自己是一个时尚设计师。
109.And frankly, I don’t really know what to call myself.
坦白讲,我也不知道应该怎么称呼我自己。
110.I think of myself as a … I don’t know what I think of myself as.
我觉得自己是…我不知道我认为自己是做什么。
111.It’s just that.
就这样咯
112.(Laughter) But I must say, this whole thing about being slightly bored all the time that is what — I think that is a very important thing for a fashion designer.
(笑声) 但是我必须要说,老是觉得有点无聊这件事, 我想那是一件对于时尚设计师来说非常重要的事。
113.You always have to be slightly bored with everything.
你应该要去对每一件事都感到那么一点乏味。
114.And if you’re not you have to pretend to be slightly bored with everything.
如果你不是,也要装着对每一件事都觉得有点乏味。
115.(Laughter) But I am really a little bored with everything.
(笑声) 但是我是真的对每一件事都觉得有点乏味。
116.I always say to my partner, Marissa Gardini, who books everything — she books everything and she makes everything happen.
我总是会对我的工作伙伴说–玛丽莎 嘎迪尼, 她会预订所有的事– 她安排所有的事而且能把所有的事都办好。
117.And she makes all the deals.
所有的生意都是她打理的。
118.And I always tell her that I find myself with a lot of time on the computer bridge program.
我总是给她说,我发现我 花很多时间在电脑上玩桥牌
119.Too much time on computer bridge, which is, you know, like that’s so … somehow, like, about ten years ago I thought that the most unboring place in the world
花太多时间在电脑桥牌上,就像, 太…不知道怎么的,像是十年前 我想世界上最不无聊的地方
120.would be like a TV studio, like for a day show. Some kind of day talk show.
会是一个电视中心, 制作每天都会播出的节目,像是一些脱口秀。
121.Because it’s all of these things that I love all kind of in one place.
因为都是一些我喜欢的事情, 都放在了一个地方。
122.And if you ever get bored you can look at another thing, and do another thing and talk about it, right?
而且如果你觉得无聊了,你可以去看其他的事情 做其他的事,谈论它,是吧?
123.And so I had this TV show.
所以我就做了这个电视节目。
124.And that was a very, very, very big part of my process.
那是在我生涯中的一个非常,非常,非常重要的一部分。
125.Actually, could you roll the clip, please?
事实上,能放一下这个片子吗?谢谢
126.This is one of my favorite clips of Rosie.
这是我若斯的片子里我最喜欢的几部之一。
127.(Video) Isaac Mizrahi: We’re back on the set.
(视频)艾萨克 米兹拉稀:我们回到现场。
128.Hi there.
嗨,大家好。
129.Rosie O’Donnell: Hello Ben.
若斯 欧 唐娜:你好,本。
130.IM: Look how cute she looks with this, just a slick back.
IM:看她梳个油头看起来有多可爱
131.Man: Her mother says, “Delish!”
男的:她妈妈说:“可口!”
132.IM: Ah, wow, delish. All right. So now where should I position myself?
IM: 啊,哇噢,可口。好吧,现在我要坐在哪呢?
133.I want to stay out of the way.
我不要来碍事。
134.I don’t want to be — okay. Here we go.
我不想–好吧,我们开始吧。
135.Do you get nervous, Ashleigh?
你觉得紧张吗,阿希利?
136.Ashleigh: Doing what?
阿希利:紧张什么?
137.Cutting hair.
剪头发。
138.A: Cutting hair? Never, never.
A:剪头发?从来不,从来不。
139.I don’t think there was ever a day where I cut hair I was nervous.
我剪头从来没有一次紧张的。
140.You look so cute already, by the way.
你看起来已经很可爱了
141.You like it? All right.
你喜欢吗?好吧
142.Do you have a problem with looking cute? You want to look cute.
你不想看起来很可爱吗?你希望看起来很可爱吧。
143.ROD: Of course I want to look cute.
ROD:当然,我希望看起来可爱啊。
144.IM: Just checking, because some people want to look, you know, aggressively ugly.
IM: 只是确认一下,因为有的人希望看起来, 丑的吓人。
145.ROD: No, not me, no.
ROD:不,我不。
146.IM: You read about all these people who have a lot of money and they have kids and the kids always end up somehow, like, really messed up, you know what I mean?
IM: 你会读一些报道关于那些有钱人 他们有孩子,但是这些孩子总是最后都, 非常糟糕,你知道我的意思吧?
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧