1.I and my colleagues Art Aron and Lucy Brown and others, have put 37 people who are madly in love into a functional MRI brain scanner.
我和阿尔特.阿伦、露西.布朗还有其他同事 对37位处在恋爱不同阶段的人的大脑 进行了核磁共振测试,
2.17 who were happily in love, 15 who had just been dumped, and we’re just starting our third experiment: studying people who report that they’re still in love
其中17位正享受爱情带来的幸福,而15位则刚刚被甩。 我们刚刚开始第三项实验: 研究那些在10到25年后
3.after 10 to 25 years of marriage.
仍然处在爱恋中的人们,
4.So, this is the short story of that research.
接下来是关于这项研究的一些介绍。
5.In the jungles of Guatemala, in Tikal, stands a temple.
在危地马拉的丛林深处的提卡尔,矗立着一座神庙。
6.It was built by the grandest Sun King, of the grandest city state, of the grandest civilization of the Americas, the Mayas.
它由史上最显贵的太阳王建造, 位于最壮丽的城邦, 代表着美洲最伟大的古文明——玛雅。
7.His name was Jasaw Chan K’awiil.
这位君王,名曰Jasaw Chan K’awiil,
8.He stood over six feet tall.
他体型魁梧,
9.He lived into his 80s, and he was buried beneath this monument in 720 AD.
并活到了八十余岁, 在公元720葬于提卡尔神庙。
10.And Mayan inscriptions proclaim that he was deeply in love with his wife.
按照玛雅碑文的说法, 他深爱着他的妻子。
11.So, he built a temple in her honor, facing his.
他为妻子修建了一座神庙,正对着提卡尔神庙。
12.And every spring and autumn, exactly at the equinox, the sun rises behind his temple, and perfectly bathes her temple with his shadow.
每到春分或秋分, 太阳在提卡尔神庙后升起, 而他妻子的神庙便浸浴在拖长的影子中。
13.And as the sun sets behind her temple in the afternoon, it perfectly bathes his temple with her shadow.
到了下午落日之时, 他妻子的神庙的影子也会完全遮罩在提卡尔神庙上。
14.After 1,300 years, these two lovers still touch and kiss from their tomb.
直到1300年后的今天, 这对恋人的陵墓依旧互相拥抱、亲吻。
15.Around the world people love.
世界各地的人都有不同的爱情。
16.They sing for love, they dance for love, they compose poems and stories about love.
人们为爱情歌唱,人们因爱情起舞, 人们通过诗赋和故事来抒发爱情。
17.They tell myths and legends about love.
人们讲述关于爱情的神话和传说。
18.They pine for love, they live for love, they kill for love, and they die for love.
人们渴望爱情,因爱而生, 人们为爱着迷,甚至为爱而死。
19.As Walt Whitman once said, he said,”Oh, I would stake all for you.”
沃尔特.惠特曼曾说过: “我愿意为你赌上我的一切!”
20.Anthropologists have found evidence of romantic love in 170 societies.
人类学家在170个社会中发现了爱情存在的证据。
21.They’ve never found a society that did not have it.
爱情普遍地存在于每一个人类社会。
22.But love isn’t always a happy experience.
但爱情并不总是愉快的经历。
23.In one study of college students, they asked a lot of questions about love, but the two that stood out to me the most were, “Have you ever been rejected by somebody who you really loved?”
在一项针对大学生的调查中, 他们提出了很多关于爱情的问题, 其中的两个特别让我印象深刻, 一个是“你曾经被你真心爱着的人拒绝过吗?”
24.And the second question was, “Have you ever dumped somebody who really loved you?”
而另一个则是 “你曾经拒绝过真心爱着你的人吗?”
25.And almost 95 percent of both men and women said yes to both.
对于这两个问题,有95%的人作出了肯定的答复。
26.Almost nobody gets out of love alive.
要活着走出爱情几乎是不可能的。
27.So, before I start telling you about the brain, I want to read for you what I think is the most powerful love poem on Earth.
那么,在开始讲述关于大脑的事情前, 我要读一段 在我看来最富深情的情诗。
28.There’s other love poems that are, of course, just as good, but I don’t think this one can be surpassed.
当然,很多情诗都很不错, 但我认为它们都无法超越这首。
29.It was told by an anonymous Kwakutl Indian of southern Alaska to a missionary in 1896, and here it is.
在1896年的南阿拉斯加,一位不知名的夸扣特尔印第安人 把它讲述给了一名传教士。
30.I’ve never had the opportunity to say it before.
这是我第一次当众读它。
31.”Fire runs through my body with the pain of loving you, pain runs through my body with the fires of my love for you.
“爱你之痛如熊熊烈焰穿透我的身体; 对你如火一般的热恋让疼痛贯穿我的身体。
32.Pain like a boil about to burst with my love for you, consumed by fire with my love for you, I remember what you said to me.
痛楚如沸水,饱含我对你的爱, 爱的火焰将其蒸发殆尽。 我仍记得你对我说的话,
33.I am thinking of your love for me, I am torn by your love for me.
我想着你对我的爱, 它将我的躯体撕裂。
34.Pain and more pain, where are you going with my love?
疼痛,更多的疼痛, 你要把我的爱带至何处?
35.I am told you will go from here.
你对我说,你将从这里出发;
36.I am told you will leave me here.
你对我说,你将在这儿把我遗弃。
37.My body is numb with grief.
我因此悲痛,因此失去知觉。
38.Remember what I said, my love.
带上我的只言片语,我的爱人!
39.Goodbye, my love, goodbye.”
再见,吾爱,再见!
40.Emily Dickinson once wrote, “Parting is all we need to know of hell.”
艾米莉.狄金森曾写道, “人因离别而品尝地狱”
41.How many people have suffered in all the millions of years of human evolution?
在人类百万余年的进化过程中, 有多少人曾遭受这样的痛苦?
42.How many people around the world are dancing with elation at this very minute?
而此时此刻, 世界各地又有多少人在尽情跳舞?
43.Romantic love is one of the most powerful sensations on Earth.
爱情是世上最有力的感情。
44.So, several years ago, I decided to look into the brain and study this madness.
所以多年之前,我决定研究 大脑中的这种狂热的情感。
45.Our first study of people who were happily in love has been widely publicized, so I’m only going to say a very little about it.
我们第一项对处在幸福爱恋中的人们的研究 得到了很好地宣传, 因此我只简短地介绍一下。
46.We found activity in a tiny little factory near the base of the brain called the ventral tegmental area.
我们发现在大脑底部附近有一块活跃的微小的区域 ——腹侧背盖区。
47.We found activity in some cells called the A10 cells.
其中活跃的细胞称为ApEn细胞。
48.Cells that actually make dopamine, a natural stimulant, and spray it to many brain regions.
实际上,这种细胞制造了多巴胺——一种天然的兴奋剂, 并将它散发到大脑的众多区域。
49.Indeed this part, the VTA, is part of the brain’s reward system.
准确地说来,这里腹侧背盖区是大脑奖励系统的一部分。
50.It’s way below your cognitive thinking process.
它运作在潜意识中,
51.It’s below your emotions.
也不受情绪控制。
52.It’s part of what we call the reptilian core of the brain, associated with wanting, with motivation, with focus and with craving.
腹侧背盖区也是被我们称作爬虫类脑核的部分。 它关系到欲求、动机、 专注和渴望。
53.In fact, the same brain region where we found activity becomes active also when you feel the rush of cocaine.
事实上,这一片区域 在可卡因瘾发作时也会活跃起来。
54.But romantic love is much more than a cocaine high — at least you come down from cocaine.
但比起可卡因,爱情让它更加活跃—— 至少你还能从可卡因中回过神来。
55.Romantic love is an obsession. It possesses you.
爱情萦绕于心,占据着你。
56.You lose your sense of self.
你失去自我意识,
57.You can’t stop thinking about another human being.
不能自主地去想他
58.Somebody is camping in your head.
——他一直盘踞在你脑中。
59.As an eighth-century Japanese poet said, “My longing had no time when it ceases.”
就如8世纪的一位日本诗人所说, “我的渴求永不停止。”
60.Wild is love.
爱情是狂热的。
61.And the obsession can get worse when you’ve been rejected.
当你被抛弃之后,牵挂会更深。
62.So, right now, Lucy Brown and I, the neuroscientist on our project, are looking at the data of the people who were put into the machine after they had just been dumped.
我和项目组中的神经系统学家露西.布朗 当下正在研究 被抛弃的人们的核磁共振测试数据。
63.It was very difficult actually, putting these people in the machine, because they were in such bad shape.
但说服他们 进行测验实在是困难, 因为他们心情实在是太糟了。
64.(Laughter) So anyway, we found activity in three brain regions.
(笑) 总之,我们在大脑中发现了三个与之有关的区域。
65.We found activity in the brain region, in exactly the same brain region associated with intense romantic love.
我们在那块大脑区域, 也就是腹侧背盖区, 找到了与热恋相关的大脑活动。
66.What a bad deal.
这是多么坏的事情啊!
67.You know, when you’ve been dumped, the one thing you love to do is just forget about this human being, and then go on with your life,
当你被甩之后, 你会想着要忘掉他, 并继续你的正常生活,
68.but no, you just love them harder.
但事与愿违,你只会更爱他了。
69.As the poet Terence, the Roman poet once said, he said, “The less my hope, the hotter my love.”
就像罗马诗人特伦斯曾说过的: “我的祈求越少,我的爱情便越炽烈。”
70.And indeed, we now know why.
时至今日,我们知道这是为什么了。
71.2,000 years later, we can explain this in the brain.
2000年后的今天,我们能够解释大脑中的这一过程。
72.That brain system, the reward system for wanting, for motivation, for craving, for focus, becomes more active when you can’t get what you want.
大脑中的奖赏系统 与欲望、动机、渴望和专注有关, 它在你不能得到你所要的时,反而变得更加活跃。
73.In this case, life’s greatest prize: an appropriate mating partner.
倘若如此,生命中最大的奖赏即是: 一个适当的约会对象。
74.We found activity in other brain regions also — in a brain region associated with calculating gains and losses.
我们发现大脑中 计算得失的区域也与爱情有关。
75.You know, you’re lying there, you’re looking at the picture, and you’re in this machine, and you’re calculating, you know, what went wrong.
测试者躺在核磁共振仪中, 看着昔日爱人的照片, 然后开始回想到底是什么出错了。
76.How, you know, what have I lost?
我失去了什么?
77.As a matter of fact, Lucy and I have a little joke about this.
事实上,露西和我对此开过一些玩笑。
78.It comes from a David Mamet play, and there’s two con artists in the play, and the woman is conning the man, and the man looks at the woman and says,
在大卫.梅米特的一部剧中, 有两个行骗高手, 其中女士在勾引男士, 于是他看着那位女士说:
79.”Oh, you’re a bad pony, I’m not going to bet on you.”
“你真调皮,我是不会犯错的。”
80.And indeed, it’s this part of the brain, the core of the nucleus accumbens, that is becoming active as you’re measuring your gains and losses.
当你在计算得失时, 大脑中的这部分——伏隔核的核心 变得活跃起来。
81.It’s also the brain region that becomes active when you’re willing to take enormous risks for huge gains and huge losses.
当你要因为得到或失去 而去冒巨大的风险时, 它也会变得活跃。
82.Last but not least, we found activity in a brain region associated with deep attachment to another individual.
最后,我们还在一块区域中 发现了与深度依恋有关的大脑活动。
83.No wonder people suffer around the world and we have so many crimes of passion.
难怪世界各地的人们都遭受着痛苦, 难怪我们中这么多人被负心的情人伤害
84.When you’ve been rejected in love, not only are you engulfed with feelings of romantic love, but you’re feeling deep attachment to this individual.
当你被爱抛弃时, 你不仅被对爱情的渴望吞没, 而且感到对他深深的依恋。
85.Moreover, this brain circuit for reward is working, and you’re feeling intense energy, intense focus, intense motivation and the willingness to risk it all
此外,大脑的奖赏回路开始工作, 这使得你感到强烈的精力,强烈的专注, 强烈的干劲,和想要不顾一切地
86.to win life’s greatest prize.
赢得生命中最高奖赏的愿望。
87.So, what have I learned from this experiment that I would like to tell the world?
那么,关于这次实验, 我又有什么样的体会要分享给全世界呢?
88.Foremost, I have come to think that romantic love is a drive, a basic mating drive.
最重要的一点,我的结论是 爱情是人类最基本的寻求配对的冲动。
89.Not the sex drive — the sex drive gets you out there looking for a whole range of partners.
这不是性冲动——性冲动让你寻找 能够成为性伴侣的人。
90.Romantic love enables you to focus your mating energy on just one at a time, conserve your mating energy, and start the mating process with this single individual.
而爱情让你同时只对一个人产生配对的冲动, 并节制地使用它, 开始同他恋爱。
91.I think of all the poetry that I’ve read about romantic love, what sums it up best is something that is said by Plato over 2,000 years ago.
我脑海中浮现出读过的所有关于爱情的诗篇, 其中最适合概括这一点的是 2000多年前的诗人柏拉图的一首诗,
92.He said, “The god of love lives in a state of need.
“爱神栖于爱欲之国。
93.It is a need. It is an urge.
爱是欲求,是冲动,
94.It is a homeostatic imbalance.
是恒久的失衡。
95.Like hunger and thirst, it’s almost impossible to stamp out.”
如饥似渴,不能熄灭。”
96.I’ve also come to believe that romantic love is an addiction: a perfectly wonderful addiction when it’s going well, and a perfectly horrible addiction when it’s going poorly.
我同样也相信爱情让人成瘾: 爱若甜蜜,人们沉溺其中; 爱若苦涩,人们深陷其中,难以自拔。
97.And indeed, it has all of the characteristics of addiction.
确然,爱情拥有成瘾的所有特征,
98.You focus on the person, you obsessively think about them, you crave them, you distort reality, your willingness to take enormous risks to win this person.
你专注于他,执念于他, 渴望得到他,并扭曲现实, 愿不顾一切以赢得他的爱。
99.And it’s got the three main characteristics of addiction.
成瘾的三个主要特征也在爱情上得以体现:
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧