1.The substance of things unseen.
事物的本质是不可见的,
2.Cities, past and future.
城市的往昔和未来也是如此。
3.In Oxford, perhaps we can use Lewis Carroll and look in the looking glass that is New York City to try and see our true selves, or perhaps pass through to another world.
在牛津,我们或许从刘易斯·卡洛尔的著作, 从纽约市这面镜子里, 试图寻见真我; 或者进入另一个世界。
4.Or, in the words of F. Scott Fitzgerald, “As the moon rose higher, the inessential houses begin to melt away until gradually I became aware of the old island
或者,正如F·斯科特菲茨杰拉德所写: “每当明月升高, 微不足道的房屋开始消逝, 直到我逐渐意识到这座古老岛屿,
5.here that once flowered for Dutch sailor’s eyes, a fresh green breast of the new world.”
曾是荷兰水手眼中繁花盛开之地, 新世界中一处翠绿的处女地。”
6.My colleagues and I have been working for 10 years to rediscover this lost world, in a project we call The Mannahatta Project.
我和我的同事用了十年时间 重新探索这个失落的世界, 并将其命名为“曼娜哈特”(曼哈顿的印第安语)计划。
7.We’re trying to discover what Henry Hudson would have seen on the afternoon of September 12th, 1609, when he sailed into New York harbor.
我们试图探索亨利?哈德逊船长 在1609年9月12日的下午 航行至纽约港时所见的一切。
8.And I’d like to tell you the story in three acts.
而我想把这个故事分成三段讲,
9.And if I have time still, an epilogue.
如果时间允许的话,我也想再做一个总结。
10.So, Act I: A Map Found.
那么,第一部分:一张地图的发现。
11.So, I didn’t grow up in New York.
是的,我并不在纽约长大。
12.I grew up out west in the Sierra Nevada mountains, like you see here, in the Red Rock Canyon.
正如你们看到的照片,我在西瓦内华达山区 红岩峡谷长大。
13.And from these early experiences as a child I learned to love landscapes.
由于我儿时的经历, 我渐渐地爱上了自然景观。
14.And so when it became time for me to do my graduate studies, I studied this emerging field of landscape ecology.
所以,当我要着手我的研究生课程时, 我学习了景观生态学–这门新兴领域的研究。
15.Landscape ecology concerns itself with how the stream and the meadow and the forest and the cliffs make habitats for plants and animals.
景观生态学关注诸如 河流、草地、森林和悬崖是怎样 为动植物提供栖息地的问题。
16.This experience and this training lead me to get a wonderful job with the Wildlife Conservation Society, which works to save wildlife and wild places all over the world.
而这份经历和学术培训, 使我获得了与野生动物保护协会共事的绝佳机会, 这份工作致力于拯救世界各地的野生动物和野生地区生态。
17.And over the last decade, I traveled to over 40 countries to see jaguars and bears and elephants and tigers and rhinos.
在过去的10年中, 我前往四十多个国家, 观察那里的美洲虎、熊、大象, 以及老虎和犀牛。
18.But every time I would return from my trips I’d return back to New York City.
但是每一次我旅途回来,到纽约市。
19.And on my weekends I would go up, just like all the other tourists, to the top of the Empire State Building, and I’d look down on this landscape, on these ecosystems,
在周末,我就会像所有的游客一样, 爬到帝国大厦的顶楼。 我也会向下俯瞰这里的风景和生态系统,
20.and I’d wonder, “How does this landscape work to make habitat for plants and animals?
于是我便疑惑:“这里的景观 是怎样为动植物提供居住场所的?
21.How does it work to make habitat for animals like me?”
它又是怎样为像我这样的动物提供居住地的呢?”
22.I’d go to Times Square and I’d look at the amazing ladies on the wall, and wonder why nobody is looking at the historical figures just behind them.
我也会去时代广场,看一看那墙上美丽的女士们, 然后疑惑:为什么没有人关注她们过去的祖辈?
23.I’d go to Central Park and see the rolling topography of Central Park come up against the abrupt and sheer topography of midtown Manhattan.
我也到中央公园去,看着中央公园起伏的地形, 与此对比的是陡峭的 曼哈顿中城地形。
24.I started reading about the history and the geography in New York City.
于是,我开始阅读有关纽约市的历史和地理资料。
25.I read that New York City was the first mega-city, a city of 10 million people or more, in 1950.
我了解到纽约市是第一座特大城市, 在1950年便拥有超过一千万人口。
26.I started seeing paintings like this.
我开始察看这样的画作。
27.For those of you who are from New York, this is 125th street under the West Side Highway.
对于你们这些来自纽约的人而言, 这是城西高速公路下的125街。
28.(Laughter) It was once a beach. And this painting has John James Audubon, the painter, sitting on the rock.
(笑声) 这里曾是一个沙滩。而这幅图里 有画家奥杜邦坐在岩石上的身影。
29.And it’s looking up on the wooded heights of Washington Heights, to Jeffrey’s Hook, where the George Washington Bridge goes across today.
上方的林地便是华盛顿高地, 杰佛瑞虎克灯塔方向,即是今日乔治?华盛顿大桥横跨的所在。
30.Or this painting, from the 1740s, from Greenwich Village.
再来看这幅图,描绘的是18世纪40年代的格林威治村。
31.Those are two students at King’s College — later Columbia University — sitting on a hill, overlooking a valley.
国王学院(后来成为哥伦比亚大学)的两位学生 坐在山丘上俯瞰整个村庄。
32.And so I’d go down to Greenwich Village and I’d look for this hill.
所以我来到格林威治村,想要找到那座山丘。
33.And I couldn’t find it. And I couldn’t find that palm tree.
但是我找不到它,当然也找不到那棵棕榈树。
34.What’s that palm tree doing there?
那棵棕榈树到底在哪呢?
35.(Laughter) So, it was in the course of these investigations that I ran into a map.
(笑声) 所以,我是在调查的过程中偶遇这张地图的。
36.And it’s this map you see here.
也就是你所见的这一张。
37.It’s held in a geographic information system which allows me to zoom in.
它被保存在地理信息系统中, 我把它放大。
38.This map isn’t from Hudson’s time, but from the American revolution, 170 years later, made by British military cartographers during the occupation of New York City.
但这幅地图并不来自于哈德逊的时代,而是来自于美国革命时期。 170年后,由英国军事制图员 在英占领纽约市时绘制的。
39.And it’s a remarkable map. It’s in the National Archives here in Kew.
这是一张很杰出的地图,现存于伦敦克佑区的英国国立档案馆中。
40.And it’s 10 feet long and three and a half feet wide.
它长10英尺,宽3.5英尺。
41.And if I zoom in to lower Manhattan you can see the extent of New York City as it was, right at the end of the American Revolution.
如果我放大到曼哈顿下城区, 你便可以看见纽约市 在美国革命末的模样。
42.Here’s Bowling Green. And here’s Broadway.
这里是鲍灵格林,而这里是百老汇街。
43.And this is City Hall Park.
这里是市府公园。
44.So the city basically extended to City Hall Park.
所以这座城市基本延伸到市府公园。
45.And just beyond it you can see features that have vanished, things that have disappeared.
再往上走,便能看到 地形已改变,景观已消失。
46.This is the Collect Pond, which was the fresh water source for New York City for its first 200 years, and for the Native Americans for thousands of years before that.
这个蓄水池,曾是纽约市建立初的200年间 城市的淡水来源。 它也是土著美国人此前千百年来的淡水来源。
47.You can see the Lispenard Meadows draining down through here, through what is Tribeca now, and the beaches that come up from the Battery,
你可以看到利兹本纳德草地 水流流经此地,即现在的三角地翠贝卡区。 而海滩从炮台
48.all the way to 42nd St.
一路延伸至42街。
49.This map was made for military reasons.
这幅图的绘制出于军事考虑。
50.They’re mapping the roads, the buildings, these fortifications that they built.
所以他们标记了道路、楼房 和他们所建造的堡垒。
51.But they’re also mapping things of ecological interest, also military interest: the hills, the marshes, the streams.
但是他们也标记了一些富有生态意义 以及军事意义的事物:山丘 沼泽和水流。
52.This is Richmond Hill, and Minetta Water which used to run its way through Greenwich Village.
这是列治文山,还有米尼塔河。 它从前经由这条路流入格林威治村。
53.Or the swamp at Gramercy Park, right here.
格拉姆西公园的沼泽在这儿,
54.Or Murray Hill. And this is the Murray’s house on Murray Hill, 200 years ago.
还有莫里山,这儿是莫里之家 200年前在莫里山上。
55.Here is Times Square, the two streams that came together to make a wetland in Times Square, as it was at the end of the American Revolution.
这里是时代广场, 两股水流在这里汇合,形成了湿地。 这时正值美国革命末。
56.So I saw this remarkable map in a book.
我在一本书上看到这张了不起的地图。
57.And I thought to myself, “You know, if I could georeference this map, if I could place this map in the grid of the city today, I could find these lost features
当时我想,“如果我可以对这张地图进行地理座标参照, 把这张地图放在今日纽约市的格局上, 我就能找出
58.of the city, in the block-by-block geography that people know, the geography of where people go to work, and where they go to live,
这座城市失落的景观。 一块块地拼出人们熟悉的地貌, 比如人们上班地点和他们居住地方的地貌,
59.and where they like to eat.”
以及他们喜爱的餐厅的地貌。”
60.So, after some work we were able to georeference it, which allows us to put the modern streets on the city, and the buildings, and the open spaces,
所以经过一些努力之后,我们对它进行了地理座标参照定位, 使我们能够把现代的道路、 楼房和空地放到城市中。
61.so that we can zoom in to where the Collect Pond is.
这样我们就可以放大蓄水湖的位置。
62.We can digitize the Collect Pond and the streams, and see where they actually are in the geography of the city today.
我们可以将蓄水湖和水流都数字化, 我们也就可以知道它们在今天的城市地理中的位置。
63.So this is fun for finding where things are relative to the old topography.
有趣的是比照旧的地形 找出现在的位置。
64.But I had another idea about this map.
但是我对这张地图还有别的想法。
65.If we take away the streets, and if we take away the buildings, and if we take away the open spaces, then we could take this map.
如果我们拿走这些街道,如果我们拿走这些楼房, 如果我们拿走这些绿色空地, 然后我们可以得到这张地图。
66.If we pull off the 18th century features we could drive it back in time.
如果我们可以展现18世纪的特征, 我们回到过去的时间。
67.We could drive it back to its ecological fundamentals: to the hills, to the streams, to the basic hydrology and shoreline, to the beaches,
我们也可以还原过去生态基础的特征: 那些山丘、水流 基本水文、海岸线、海滩……
68.the basic aspects that make the ecological landscape.
那些构成生态景观的基本方面。
69.Then, if we added maps like the geology, the bedrock geology, and the surface geology, what the glaciers leave, if we make the soil map,
随后,如果我们加上地质学、基岩地质学, 和地表地质学,冰川遗迹; 如果我们制作土壤地图,
70.with the 17 soil classes, that are defined by the National Soil Conservation Service, if we make a digital elevation model of the topography that tells us how high the hills were,
包含国家土壤保护所认定的 17种土壤; 如果我们可以制作一个数字地形高度模型 告诉我们那些山丘的高度,
71.then we can calculate the slopes.
我们就可以计算它们的坡度。
72.We can calculate the aspect.
是的,我们可以计算各方面的数据。
73.We can calculate the winter wind exposure — so, which way the winter winds blow across the landscape.
我们可以计算冬季风的风向– 也就是冬季风是怎样吹过地面景观的。
74.The white areas on this map are the places protected from the winter winds.
地图上白色的部分是不受冬季风侵扰的地方。
75.We compiled all the information about where the Native Americans were, the Lenape.
我们收集了美洲原住民勒纳佩族所有曾居住的地点的信息。
76.And we built a probability map about where they might have been.
然后我们建立了一个他们可能居住地点的地图。
77.So, the red areas on this map indicate the places that are best for human sustainability on Manhattan, places that are close to water,
地图上红色的部分指出 曼哈顿岛上最适宜人类可持续居住的地点。 那些靠近水源的,
78.places that are near the harbor to fish, places protected from the winter winds.
靠近渔港的, 不受冬季风侵扰的地方。
79.We know that there was a Lenape settlement down here by the Collect Pond.
我们知道从前有一个勒纳佩族的定居点, 位于南部毗邻蓄水池的地方。
80.And we knew that they planted a kind of horticulture, that they grew these beautiful gardens of corn, beans, and squash, the “Three Sisters” garden.
我们也了解到他们有园艺种植的习惯, 他们有美丽的玉米,豆类和南瓜园地, 即“蔬菜三姐妹”园地。
81.So, we built a model that explains where those fields might have been.
于是,我们建立了一个模型,来解释这些园地可能存在的地方。
82.And the old fields, the successional fields that go.
还有过去的园地及其周边园地的情况。
83.And we might think of these as abandoned.
我们或许会以为它们被遗弃了。
84.But, in fact, they’re grassland habitats for grassland birds and plants.
但事实上,它们现在是草地, 为草地鸟类和植物提供栖息地;
85.And they have become successional shrub lands, and these then mix in to a map of all the ecological communities.
或是已经形成灌木林地。 这就混合成这张汇集所有生态社区的地图。
86.And it turns out that Manhattan had 55 different ecosystem types.
由此,我们了解到曼哈顿岛曾有55种不同的生态系统。
87.You can think of these as neighborhoods, as distinctive as Tribeca, and the Upper East Side, and Inwood — that these are the forest and the wetlands
你可以把它们想作邻里关系, 各自独特的就像三角地翠贝卡去,上东城区和Inwood区– 那里有森林和湿地;
88.and the marine communities, the beaches.
水生群落和沙滩。
89.And 55 is a lot. On a per-area basis, Manhattan had more ecological communities per acre than Yosemite does, than Yellowstone, than Ambaselli.
55种生态系统很庞大。在平均面积的角度上, 曼哈顿岛每英亩拥有的生态群落的数量 甚至比优山美地国家公园多, 也比美国黄石公园和肯尼亚安伯塞利保护公园多。
90.It was really an extraordinary landscape that was capable of supporting an extraordinary biodiversity.
这实在是非常奇异的景观, 竟能够支持如此奇特的生物多样性。
91.So, Act Two: A Home Reconstructed.
接下来,第二部分:一个重建的家园。
92.So, we studied the fish and the frogs and the birds and the bees, the 85 different kinds of fish that were on Manhattan, the Heath hens, the species that aren’t there anymore,
我们对鱼类、蛙类、鸟类和蜂类进行了研究, 在曼哈顿,曾有85种鱼类, 有已经灭绝的新英格兰草原松鸡,
93.the beavers on all the streams, the black bears, and the native Americans, to study how they used and thought about their landscape.
还有曾经在所有溪流中发现的海狸及黑熊。 我们也研究了土著居民怎样利用、 思考他们的地质景观的。
94.We wanted to try and map these. And to do that what we did was we mapped their habitat needs.
我们想要标记它们。为此我们做的是 标记它们的居住需要。
95.Where do they get their food?
他们从哪儿得到食物?
96.Where do they get their water? Where do they get their shelter?
他们从哪儿取水?他们避护住所是什么样的?
97.Where do they get their reproductive resources?
他们从哪儿得到生殖资源?
98.To an ecologist, the intersection of these is habitat.
对于一个生态学家而言,这之间的交汇便是栖息地。
99.But to most people, the intersection of these is their home.
但对于大多数人而言,这之间的交汇是他们的家。
100.So, we would read in field guides, the standard field guides that maybe you have on your shelves, you know, what beavers need is “A slowly meandering stream
所以,我们想要阅读野外指南,标准野外指南, 就是你们书架上可能会有的那一类。 你知道,海狸需要的是“一条流速缓而曲折的溪流,
101.with aspen trees and alders and willows, near the water.” That’s the best thing for a beaver.
边上还得有白杨,赤杨和柳树。” 这就是最适合海狸的。
102.So we just started making a list.
所以我们开始列表。
103.Here is the beaver. And here is the stream, and the aspen and the alder and the willow.
这里是海狸,这里是水流, 这里则是白杨,赤杨和柳树。
104.As if these were the maps that we would need to predict where you would find the beaver.
如果这些就是我们所需的地图, 我们就可以预测在哪里你能够找到一只海狸。
105.Or the bog turtle, needing wet meadows and insects and sunny places.
或者一只牟氏龟,需要湿草地、昆虫和阳光充裕的地方。
106.Or the bobcat, needing rabbits and beavers and den sites.
或者是一只山猫,需要野兔、海狸和洞穴。
107.And rapidly we started to realize that beavers can be something that a bobcat needs.
于是我们很快意识到海狸可能会是 山猫需要的东西。
108.But a beaver also needs things. And that having it on either side means that we can link it together, that we can create the network
但是海狸本身也需要某些东西。所以无论 把它们放在捕食者或被捕食者的一边,我们都能把它们连接起来。 于是,我们有了
109.of the habitat relationships for these species.
这些物种栖息关系的网络。
110.Moreover, we realized that you can start out as being a beaver specialist, but you can look up what an aspen needs.
另外,我们也意识到你可以 以一个海狸专家的身份开始研究, 但是你需要知道白杨需要的东西。
111.An aspen needs fire and dry soils.
白杨喜光,强阳性和干燥的土壤。
112.And you can look at what a wet meadow needs.
然后你可以知道湿草地需要什么。
113.And it need beavers to create the wetlands, and maybe some other things.
它需要海狸创造湿地, 或许还有其它的东西。
114.But you can also talk about sunny places.
但是你可以再想想阳光灿烂的地方。
115.So, what does a sunny place need? Not habitat per se.
那么,阳光灿烂的地方需要什么?本身不是栖息地。
116.But what are the conditions that make it possible?
但是,在何种情况下才有可能呢?
117.Or fire. Or dry soils.
或为阳光,或为干土。
118.And that you can put these on a grid that’s 1,000 columns long across the top and 1,000 rows down the other way.
这样一来,你可以将这些联系画在1000栏的格线上, 左侧也填入1000格资料。
119.And then we can visualize this data like a network, like a social network.
然后我们将这些数据网状图像化, 就像一个社交网络。
120.And this is the network of all the habitat relationships of all the plants and animals on Manhattan, and everything they needed, going back to the geology,
这张网络汇集所有的栖息关系, 所有生活在曼哈顿岛上的动植物, 以及所有它们需要的东西。 我们于是能够回到地质学的范畴,
121.going back to time and space at the very core of the web.
回到网络核心的时间和空间位置。
122.We call this the Muir Web. And if you zoom in on it it looks like this.
我们把这叫做缪尔网络。如果你放大,它会是这样的。
123.Each point is a different species or a different stream, or a different soil type.
每一个点都代表一个不同的物种 或者一条不同的溪流或土壤种类。
124.And those little gray lines are the connections that connect them together.
而这些灰色的线表示将它们联系起来的关联。
125.They are the connections that actually make nature resilient.
这些连线恢复了自然生态活力。
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧