1.Well, this is 2009.
今年是2009年
2.And it’s the Bicentennial of Charles Darwin.
是达尔文诞辰二百周年
3.And all over the world, eminent evolutionists are anxious to celebrate this.
全世界杰出的进化论学者 都在期盼该周年庆祝
4.And what they’re planning to do is to enlighten us on almost every aspect of Darwin and his life, and how he changed our thinking.
他们将会启发,教导我们 达尔文和他的一生 是如何改变我们的思维方式 这几乎会涵盖到各个方面
5.I say almost every aspect, because there is one aspect of this story which they have thrown no light on.
我说是“几乎”各个方面 这是因为,还有一个方面 他们根本就没有提及到
6.And they seem anxious to skirt around it and step over it and to talk about something else.
而且他们迫不及待地想要把这个“特例”遮住并“踩扁” 去说他们另外想说的事
7.So I’m going to talk about it.
那么,现在我就要开始我对这个“特例”的陈述了。
8.It’s the question of, why are we so different from the chimpanzees?
这个“特例”指的是:“我们为什么会和黑猩猩如此的不同”?
9.We get the geneticists keeping on telling us how extremely closely we are related, hardly any genes of difference, very very closely related.
基因学家在不停的告诉我们 人类和黑猩猩是多么的接近,在基因上几乎没有什么不同。 真的是联系十分紧密
10.And yet, when you look at the phenotypes, there’s a chimp, there’s a man, they’re astoundingly different, no resemblance at all.
但是,当你看外形时 猩猩是猩猩,人是人 两者的不同是那么的使人震惊 完全没有相似之处
11.I’m not talking about airy fairy stuff about culture or psychology, or behavior.
我并不是在说那些比较空洞的不切实际的东西 比如文化啦,心理学或行为学
12.I’m talking about ground-base, nitty-gritty, measurable physical differences.
我是在说基础的,本质上的 可以测量的实质上的区别
13.They, that one, is hairy and walking on four legs.
他们,那个家伙 浑身是毛,用四条腿走路
14.That one is a naked biped. Why?
这个家伙却是光溜溜的,用两条腿来走路,这是为什么呢?
15.I mean — (Laughter) if I’m a good Darwinist, I’ve got to believe there’s a reason for that.
你们明白吧 (笑声) 如果我是一个好的达尔文论者,我必须要相信 这是有原因的。
16.If we changed so much, something must have happened.
如果我们变化这么大,一定是受到某种因素的影响
17.What happened?
到底发生了什么呢?
18.Now 50 years ago, that was a laughably simple question.
在50年前,有一个“可笑”的简单问题。
19.Everybody knew the answer.
所有的人都知道答案
20.They knew what happened.
他们都知道发生了什么
21.The ancestor of the apes stayed in the trees.
猿类的始祖留在了树上
22.Our ancestors went out onto the plain.
而我们的祖先却走向了平原
23.That explained everything.
这解释了一切
24.We had to get up on our legs to peer over the tall grass, or to chase after animals, or to free our hands for weapons.
我们必须直立站着,才能看到高草之外 才能追捕动物 或是解放了我们的双手,使我们能够使用武器
25.And we got so overheated in the chase that we had to take off that fur coat and throw it away.
我们在追捕中身体过热 所以我们必须“扔掉”全身的“毛皮大衣”
26.Everybody knew that, for generations.
一代一代,大家都知道这个故事
27.But then, in the ’90s, something began to unravel.
但是,在90年代,有些事开始被揭开
28.The paleontologists themselves looked a bit more closely at the accompanying microfauna that lived in the same time and place as the hominids.
考古学家们更加仔细地观察了 伴生的微型生物群 和原始人处在同时期同地域的微型生物群
29.And they weren’t savanna species.
结果发现它们不是草原物种
30.And they looked at the herbivores. And they weren’t savanna herbivores.
考古学家们又观察了食草动物,结果它们也不是草原的食草动物
31.And then they were so clever, they found a way to analyze fossilized pollen.
然后他们发现了一个聪明的办法来分析 变为化石的花粉
32.Shock, horror.
惊吓,恐惧
33.The fossilized pollen was not of savanna vegetation.
这些石化了的花粉根本不属于草原植物
34.Some of it even came from lianas, those things that dangle in the middle of the jungle.
有些竟然来自藤本植物 这些藤本植物是悬挂在热带雨林之中的啊
35.So we’re left with a situation where we know that our earliest ancestors were moving around on [two legs] in the trees, before the savanna ecosystem even came into existence.
这留给我们我们如此一个局面 我们知道,我们最早的祖先 在树上生活时已经开始用两条腿开始到处活动了 那时草原生态系统还没有形成呢
36.This is not something I’ve made up.
这不是我编出来的故事
37.It’s not a minority theory.
也不是少数派学说
38.Everybody agrees with it.
所有人都一致同意该理论
39.Professor Tobias came over from South Africa and spoke to University College London.
来自南非的Tobias教授 在伦敦大学学院讲演
40.He said, everything I’ve been telling you for the last 20 years, forget about it. It was wrong.
他说:“过去20年里,我对你们所说的一切” 把它都忘掉吧,以为它是错误的
41.We’ve got to go back to square one and start again.
我们必须返回最初,一切从头开始
42.It made him very unpopular. They didn’t want to go back to square one.
这言论使他变得非常不受欢迎。他们不想返回最初的起点
43.I mean, it’s a terrible thing to happen.
我是说,那将会是一件多么可怕的事啊。
44.You’ve got this beautiful paradigm.
你们已经有了美丽而巧妙的范式系统
45.You’ve believed it through generations.
一代一代我们对此深信不疑
46.Nobody has questioned it.
从没有人质疑该理论
47.You’ve been constructing fanciful things on top of it, relying on it to be as solid as a rock.
你们在此基础上建立了富于想象的事物 对此的信赖坚如磐石。
48.And now it’s whipped away from under you.
而如今突然被釜底抽薪
49.What do you do? What does a scientist do in that case?
你该怎么办?遇到这样的问题科学家是怎么处理的呢?
50.Well, we know the answer because Thomas S. Kuhn wrote a seminal treatise about this back in 1962.
我们知道这个问题的答案是通过了 Thomas S. Kuhn 写的关于这件事一篇专题论文 是他在1962年写的
51.He said what scientists do when a paradigm fails, is, guess what, they carry on as if nothing had happened.
他说:作为科学家 当范例不再成立或失效时应当怎么办 你猜他怎么说的?“他们继续下去就当什么也没有发生过”
52.(Laughter) If they haven’t got a paradigm they can’t ask the question.
(笑声) 如果他们连范例都没有,他们将不能问问题
53.So they say, “Yes it’s wrong, but supposing it was right …”
所以他们会说,“是的,范例是错误的 但如果你想,假设它是对的话那么……”
54.(Laughter) And the only other option open to them is to stop asking the questions.
(笑声) 他们剩下唯一的选择 就是停止问问题
55.So that is what they have done now.
所以他们现在就是这么做的
56.That’s why you don’t hear them talking about it. It’s yesterday’s question.
这就是为什么你们听不到他们的讨论。这个问题变成了过时
57.Some of them have even elevated it into a principle.
他们其中的有些人将这提升到了原则的高度
58.It’s what we ought to be doing.
我们就该这么照着做
59.Aaron Filler from Harvard said, “Isn’t it time we stopped talking about selective pressures?
哈佛大学的Aaron Filler说 “该是时候停止有选择性的施压了吧?
60.I mean, why don’t we talk about, well, there’s chromosomes, and there’s genes.
我是说,我们为什么不来讨论染色体啊,基因啊
61.And we just record what we see.”
然后记录下我们所观察到的
62.Charles Darwin must be spinning in his grave!
达尔文一定会在九泉之下气得团团转
63.He knew all about that kind of science.
如果他得知这种“科学”态度
64.And he called it hypothesis-free science.
和他所称的“无假设”科学
65.And he despised it from the bottom of his heart.
他从心底里看不起这种事
66.And if you’re going to say, “I’m going to stop talking about selective pressures,”
如果你要说 “我们将要停止有选择性的施压了”
67.you can take “The Origin of Species” and throw it out of the window.
你还不如把“物种起源”直接丢出窗外好了
68.For it’s about nothing else but selective pressures.
因为“物种起源”所讲的就是选择性压力
69.And the irony of it is, that this is one occasion of a paradigm collapse where we didn’t have to wait for a new paradigm to come up.
具有讽刺的是 正是这个颠覆了范式系统 其实我们用不着等待新的范例的出现
70.There was one waiting in the wings.
现在已经有一个在旁边等着了
71.It had been waiting there since 1960 when Alister Hardy, a marine biologist, said, “I think what happened, perhaps our ancestors had a more aquatic existence
它从1960年就开始等在那里了 当海洋生物学家Alister Hardy 说:“我认为 我们的祖先可能 在水中栖息
72.for some of the time.”
生活了一段时间”
73.He kept it to himself for 30 years.
他把这个想法在自己的心理隐藏了30年
74.But then the press got hold of it and all hell broke loose.
当媒体得知他的理论,反响简直是天崩地裂
75.All his colleagues said, “This is outrageous.
所有他的同仁都说,这简直是无稽之谈
76.You’ve exposed us to public ridicule!
你让我么在大众面前丢人现眼
77.You must never do that again.”
你可再也不能这么做了
78.And at that time, it became set in stone: the aquatic theory should be dumped with the UFOs and the yetis, as part of the lunatic fringe of science.
在当时,这是板上钉钉的 人类水中起源说是一定要被抛弃的 就像“幽浮”(不明飞行物)和雪人一样 被当成是疯狂的伪科学
79.Well I don’t think that.
不过,我可不这么认为
80.I think that Hardy had a lot going for him.
我认为Hardy是有他的充分的理由的
81.I’d like to talk about just a handful of what have been called the hallmarks of mankind, the things that made us different from everybody else,
我只想说其中几个 那些被称为 人类的标志性特质 那些然我们人类与其他物种不同的
82.and all our relatives.
也和我们“远亲”不同的特质
83.Let’s look at our naked skin.
让我们来看看我们裸露的的皮肤吧
84.It’s obvious that most of the things we think about that have lost their body hair, mammals without body hair, are aquatic ones, like the dugong, the walrus,
很显然,每当我们想起 失去身体毛发的哺乳动物时 我们就会想起水生动物,比如懦艮,海象
85.the dolphin, the hippopotamus, the manatee.
海豚,河马,海牛
86.And a couple of wallowers-in-mud like the babirusa.
和一些在泥里打滚的疣猪
87.And you’re tempted to think, well perhaps, could that be why we are naked?
你也许忍不住会想,可能 这就是我们人类皮肤裸露的原因?
88.I suggested it and people said, “No no no.
我提及了一下,人们纷纷说:“不不不,不可能”
89.I mean, look at the elephant.
我说,来看看大象吧
90.You’ve forgotten all about the elephant haven’t you?”
你们都忘记了大象了吧?
91.So back in 1982 I said, “Well perhaps the elephant had an aquatic ancestor.”
1982年我说过 大象可能有水生始祖
92.Peals of merry laughter!
一阵开心的笑声!
93.”That crazy woman. She’s off again. She’ll say anything won’t she?”
那个疯女人,她又开腔了,她是什么都敢说啊她?
94.But by now, everybody agrees that the elephant had an aquatic ancestor.
但是现如今,人人都同意大象是有水生始祖的
95.This has come ’round to be that all those naked pachyderms have aquatic ancestors.
这已成为共识,所有具有裸露厚皮的动物 都具有水生祖先
96.The last exception was supposed to be the rhinoceros.
曾几何时,犀牛被认为是最后的一个特例
97.Last year in Florida they found extinct ancestor of a rhinoceros and said, “Seems to have spent most of its time in the water.”
结果,去年,在佛罗里达发现了犀牛绝迹的始祖 据说“大部分时间是在水中生活的”
98.So this is a close connection between nakedness and water.
所以说,裸露的皮肤和水是有着紧密联系的
99.As an absolute connection; it only works one way.
作为一个充分条件,这只是单向有效的
100.You can’t say all aquatic animals are naked — because look at the sea otter.
你可不能说所有的水生动物都是皮肤裸露的 因为,看看海獭。
101.But you can say that every animal that has become naked has been conditioned by water, in its own lifetime, or the lifetime of its ancestors. I think this is significant.
但是,你可以说 所有皮肤变为裸露的动物 都在其有生之年经过“水的考验” 或是其祖先经过“水的洗礼”。我认为这是有重大意义的
102.The only exception is the naked Somalian mole-rat.
唯一的特例就是索马里鼹鼠
103.Which never puts its nose above the surface of the ground.
它从没有接触过地表
104.And take bipedality.
却依靠两肢行走
105.Here you can’t find any animal to compare it with.
这是独一无二的
106.Because we’re the only animal that walks upright on two legs.
因为我们人类是唯一依靠双腿直立行走的
107.But you can say this, all the apes and all the monkeys are capable of walking on two legs, if they want to, for a short time.
但是我们可以说,所有的猿类以及猴类 如果他们愿意,在短时间里 都有依靠双腿行走的能力
108.There is only one circumstance in which they, always, all of them, walk on two legs, and that is when they are wading through water.
而只有一种情况下 他们总是依靠双腿行走的 那就是当他们淌水经过的时候
109.Do you think that’s significant?
你认为这个意味深长么?
110.David Attenborough thinks it’s significant.
David Attenboroug(BBC著名自然节目主持人)认为这意义重大
111.As the possible beginning of our bipedalism.
因为这可能是我们开始两肢行走的原因
112.Look at the fat layer.
再来看看脂肪层
113.We have got, under our skin, a layer of fat, all over.
在我们皮下分布着一层脂肪
114.Nothing in the least like that in any other primate.
根本不像其他的灵长类动物
115.Why should it be there?
脂肪为什么在那里呢?
116.Well they do know, that if you look at other aquatic mammals, the fat that in most land mammals is deposited inside the body wall, around the kidneys and the intestines and so on,
如果你看看水生动物,你就会知道 大部分陆栖哺乳动物的脂肪 贮存在体腔以内 包裹在在肾脏,肠子等内脏之外
117.has started to migrate to the outside, and spread out in a layer inside the skin.
这些脂肪满满的向外部移动 均匀分布在表皮之下
118.In the whale it’s complete.
对于鲸鱼来说,这样的移动是完全的
119.No fat inside at all, all in blubber outside.
体腔内部完全没有脂肪,全部在体腔外部
120.We can not avoid the suspicion that in our case it’s started to happen.
我们不能回避这个疑问 对于我们人类来说,这种脂肪转移已经开始了
121.We have got skin lined with this layer.
我们的皮下已经具有这样的脂肪层了
暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧