DeanKamen_发明背后的故事【中英文对照】

1.It’s not about technology, it’s about people and stories.
我要讲的不是技术, 而是人和他们的故事。
2.I could show you what recently was on television as a high quality video: 60 Minutes, many of you may have seen it.
最近电视上, 播出了一段60分钟的 高清视频。 我想很多人都看过了。
3.And it was the now director of the entire piece of the veteran’s administration — who, himself, had lost an arm 39 years ago in Vietnam —
它拍摄的是 现在美国退伍军人管理局的局长。 他39年前在越南 失去了一只手臂,
4.who was adamantly opposed to these crazy devices that don’t work.
他坚定地认为那些奇怪的机械义肢 是不会有用的。
5.And it turns out that with 60 Minutes cameras rolling in the background, after he pretty much made his position clear on this — he had his hook and he had his —
在这段60分钟的拍摄开始前, 他明确地表示, 他已经有了带钩子的木棍做手臂的代替品。
6.he wore this arm for less than two hours and was able to pour himself a drink and got quite emotional over the fact that, quote — his quote —
而他用了这个新义肢还不到两个小时 就可以给自己倒饮料了,这让他激动不已。 他是这么说的:
7.it’s the first time he’s felt like he’s had an arm in 39 years.
这是他39年以来第一次感到自己的手臂又回来了。
8.But that would sort of be jumping to the middle of the story, and I’m not going to show you that polished video.
这其实并不是故事的开头, 我也不准备给你们看这段精致的视频。
9.I’m going to, instead, in a minute or two, show you an early, crude video because I think it’s a better way to tell a story.
我下面要给你们看的, 是一段没有剪辑过的早期视频。 因为我觉得 这样你们可以更了解这个故事。
10.A few years ago I was visited by the guy that runs DARPA, the people that fund all the advanced technologies that businesses and universities probably wouldn’t take the risk of doing.
几年前, 国防部高级研究计划局的人来找我。 这些人专门资助开发那些商业界和大学 不肯冒险去做的先进技术。
11.They have a particular interest in ones that will help our soldiers.
而他们现在对那些可以帮助士兵们的人很感兴趣。
12.I get this sort of unrequested — by me anyway — visit, and sitting in my conference room is a very senior surgeon from the military
总之,我接到了这个意料外的拜访。 当时坐在我的会议室里的, 是一位资深的军医
13.and the guy that runs DARPA.
和国防部研究计划局的负责人。
14.They proceed to tell me a story which comes down to basically the following. We have used such advanced technologies now and made them available
他们告诉我一个故事,大意是 我们使用的医疗技术已经十分先进, 即使在像阿富汗或是伊拉克的山区
15.in the most remote places that we put soldiers: hills of Afghanistan, Iraq …
这样最偏远的驻军处,士兵们也能 受益于这些技术。
16.They were quite proud of the fact that you know, before the dust clears, if some soldier has been hurt they will have collected him or her, they will have brought him back,
他们骄傲的说, 如果有士兵们受伤了, 在尘硝未尽时 这些伤员就会被找到并带回来,
17.they will be getting world-class triage emergency care faster than you and I would be getting it if we were hurt in a car accident in a major city in the United States.
并得到顶级的急救护理。 比我们在美国的一个大城市里遭车祸受伤后 得到的急救更加快。
18.That’s the good news.
这些是好的方面。
19.The bad news is if they’ve collected this person and he or she is missing an arm or leg, part of the face, it’s probably not coming back.
而坏消息是,如果他们带回来的人 失去了一只手臂,一条腿 或是一部分的脸,那他面临基本就是终生残疾。
20.So, they started giving me the statistics on how many of these kids had lost an arm.
接着他们给我看了那些失去手臂的战士们的人数统计。
21.And then the surgeon pointed out, with a lot of anger, he said, “Why is it? At the end of the Civil War, they were shooting each other with muskets. If somebody lost an arm,
然后那位军医愤怒的说: “在用步枪打仗的内战末期, 如果有人失去了一只手臂,
22.we gave them a wooden stick with a hook on it.
我们给他一只带钩子的木棍做代替。
23.Now we’ve got F18s and F22s, and if somebody loses an arm, we give them a plastic stick with a hook on it.”
现在,我们有了黄蜂和猛禽战机, 但是如果有人失去了一只手臂, 为什么我们能给他的还只是一只带钩子的塑料棍?”
24.And they basically said, “This is unacceptable,”
他们认为这根本说不过去。
25.and then the punchline: “So, Dean, we’re here because you make medical stuff.
“所以,迪恩 我们来这
26.You’re going to give us an arm.”
是想让你为我们做一只手臂。”
27.And I was waiting for the 500 pages of bureaucracy, paperwork and DODs.
我正等着他们给我看那可能长达500页的 来自官方机构的、国防部的文件。
28.No, the guy says, “We’re going to bring a guy into this conference room, and wearing the arm you’re going to give us, he or she is going to pick up a raisin or a grape
不,他说 “我们会带一个人来这, 给他装上你做的义肢, 然后他或她可以从桌上
29.off this table.
拿起一粒葡萄干或是葡萄。
30.If it’s the grape, they won’t break it.”
如果拿的是葡萄,他们不会把它捏碎。“
31.Great he needs efferent, afferent, haptic response sensors.
好吧,那他需要传出,传入和触觉的反应传感器。
32.”If it’s the raisin, they won’t drop it.”
”如果拿的是葡萄干,他会拿得很稳,不会弄掉。“
33.So he wants fine motor control: flex at the wrist, flex at the elbow, abduct and flex at the shoulder.
那么,还需要良好的电机控制来保证腕关节的弯曲 肘部的弯曲,及肩膀的伸展和弯曲。
34.Either way they were going to eat it.
无论拿的是什么,他们都会把它吃下去。
35.”Oh, by the way Dean. It’s going to fit on a 50th percentile female frame — namely 32 inches from the long finger — and weigh less than nine pounds.”
”哦,对了,迪恩,这义肢应该适合百分之五十女性的身体结构, 也就是说它到中指有32英寸长, 而且轻于9磅。
36.50th percentile female frame.
(要适合)百分之五十的女性。
37.”And it’s going to be completely self contained including all its power.”
这个手臂应该是完全自足的,包括电源在内。“
38.So, they finished that. And I, as you can tell, am a bashful guy.
他们终于说完了。 我很明显是个胆小的人。
39.I told them they’re nuts.
我告诉他们他们疯了。
40.(Laughter) They’ve been watching too much “Terminator.”
(笑声) 他们终结者看多了。
41.(Laughter) Then, the surgeon says to me, “Dean, you need to know more than two dozen of these kids have come back bilateral.”
(笑声) 然后,那个军医说: ”迪恩,你应该知道, 超过24个孩子回来时 已经失去双臂“
42.Now, I cannot imagine — I’m sorry, you may have a better imagination than I do — I can’t imagine losing my arm, and typically at 22 years old.
我无法想象, 也许你们的想象力 比我丰富, 但是我实在不能想象自己在22岁这个年纪, 失去一只手臂会是怎样的情况。
43.But compared to that, losing two?
但是这和两只手臂都没有了比起来
44.Seems like that would be an inconvenience.
却显得方便多了。
45.Anyway, I went home that night. I thought about it.
就这样,那天晚上回到家,我开始考虑这事。
46.I literally could not sleep thinking about, “I wonder how you’d roll over with no shoulders.”
我怎么也睡不着, 满脑子想着一个人要是没有肩膀 要怎么翻身。
47.So, I decided we’ve got to do this.
所以,我决定我要做这个义肢。
48.And trust me, I’ve got a day job, I’ve got a lot of day jobs.
然而,我白天的工作很多,真的很多。
49.Most of my day job keeps me busy funding my fantasies like FIRST and water and power ….
我大部分的工作时间用在了 为我的诸如弗斯特(迪恩 卡门创立的科学技术项目)和水抑或电力之类的梦想提供资金
50.And I’ve got a lot of day jobs.
所以光是白天的工作都已经很多了。
51.But I figured I gotta do this.
但是我认为,”我一定要做这件事。“
52.Did a little investigation, went down to Washington, told them I still think they’re nuts but we’re going to do it.
我做了一点调查。 我去了华盛顿,告诉他们 我还是觉得他们疯了,但是我决定要做下去。
53.And I told them I’d build them an arm.
我说我会给他们做一只义肢。
54.I told them it would probably take five years to get through the FDA, and probably 10 years to be reasonably functional.
我说这个义肢大概5年才能通过食品药品管理局的审核, 大概10年才能正常运作。
55.Look what it takes to make things like iPods.
就像当初苹果刚推出Ipod时一样。
56.”Great,” he said, “You got two years.”
”好,“他说,”你只有两年时间。“
57.(Laughter) I said, “I’ll tell you what. I’ll build you an arm that’s under nine pounds that has all that capability in one year.
(笑声) 我说,”这样说吧,在一年内我会做出一只义肢。 它会少于9磅 并且具备所有那些功能。
58.It will take the other nine to make it functional and useful.”
但我需要9年使它能够正常的工作。“
59.We sort of agreed to disagree.
我们各自保留不同意见。
60.I went back and I started putting a team together, the best guys I could find with a passion to do this.
回去后,我开始召集我能找到的 最优秀的并且热衷于此的人,组成工作团队。
61.At the end of exactly one year we had a device with 14 degrees of freedom, all the sensors, all the microprocessors, all the stuff inside.
整整一年后, 我们做出了具备14个自由度的义肢。 所有的传感器,所有的微处理器, 所有的东西都包括在里面了。
62.I could show you it with a cosmesis on it that’s so real it’s eerie, but then you wouldn’t see all this cool stuff.
如果在上面做些修饰,你会发现它几可乱真, 但那样 你就看不到它里面有趣的部分了。
63.I then thought it would be years before we’d be able to make it really, really useful.
然后,我想接下来可能还需要好多年 才能让它变得真正实用。
64.It turned out, as I think you could see in Aimee’s capabilities and attitudes, people with a desire to do something are quite remarkable and nature is quite adaptable.
但实际上,你们可以 从艾米的表现和态度中看出, 那些强烈想要做成某事的人 是多么的了不起,他们的适应性是多么的强。
65.Anyway, with less than 10 hours of use, two guys — one that’s bilateral.
就这样,两个试用者装上了义肢不过10小时, 其中一个两只手臂都没了,
66.He’s literally, he’s got no shoulder on one side, and he’s high trans-humeral on the other.
一边的肩膀完全没了, 另一边肩膀也只剩下一小节。
67.And that’s Chuck and Randy together, after 10 hours — were playing in our office.
他们,查克和兰迪, 在我们的办公室待了10个多小时。
68.And we took some pretty cruddy home movies.
而我们为他们拍了一些简单但不错的录影。
69.At the end of the one I’m going to show, it’s only about a minute and a couple of seconds long, Chuck does something that to this day I’m jealous of,
等一下结束前我会放映一段只有一分钟左右的 和几段几秒钟的录影。 查克做了一件到现在我还在嫉妒的事。
70.I can’t do it.
因为我自己根本做不到。
71.He picks up a spoon, picks it up, scoops out some Shredded Wheat and milk, holds the spoon level as he translates it, moving all these joints simultaneously,
他拿起一根勺子, 舀了一勺小麦片和牛奶, 拿稳勺子, 同时运用所有的关节把勺子放进嘴里,
72.to his mouth, and he doesn’t drop any milk.
而且没有泼出一点牛奶。
73.(Laughter) I cannot do that.
(笑声) 我可做不到啊。
74.(Laughter) His wife was standing behind me.
(笑声) 他的妻子站在我后面。
75.She’s standing behind me at the time and she says, “Dean, Chuck hasn’t fed himself in 19 years.
她当时正站在我后面。 她说,”迪恩, 查克已经19年没有自己喂自己吃过东西了。
76.So, you’ve got a choice: We keep the arm, or you keep Chuck.”
所以,你现在有个选择: 要不让我们把这个手臂带回去,要不你把查克带回去。“
77.(Laughter) (Applause) So, can we see that?
(笑声) 现在,我们来看录影
78.This is Chuck showing simultaneous control of all the joints.
这是查克 在同时运用所有的关节。
79.He’s punching our controls guy. The guy behind him is our engineer/surgeon, which is a convenient guy to have around.
他在用拳打我们的控制人员。 在他后面的是我们的工程师兼外科医生, 有他在总是很方便。
80.There’s Randy, these guys are passing a rubber little puck between them.
这是兰迪,他们在传递 一个小橡皮球。
81.And just as in the spirit of FIRST, gracious professionalism, they are quite proud of this, so they decide to share a drink.
而且,基于弗斯特的优雅而专业精神 他们为此很是自豪 于是他们准备分享一瓶饮料。
82.This is a non-trivial thing to do, by the way.
这不是一件简单的事。
83.Imagine doing that with a wooden stick and a hook on the end of it, doing either of those.
想象要是用一根一头带钩子的木棍该怎么倒饮料, 或是接饮料。
84.Now Chuck is doing something quite extraordinary, at least for my limited physical skill.
现在查克正在做一件不寻常的事, 至少对于我来说。
85.And now he’s going to do what DARPA asked me for.
现在,他要做国防部研究局让我完成的事。
86.He’s going to pick up a grape — he didn’t drop it, he didn’t break it — and he’s going to eat it.
他拿起了一粒葡萄,没有弄掉 也没有弄碎。 他把它吃了下去。
87.So, that’s where we were at the end of about 15 months.
好了,这就是15个月后 我们的成果。
88.(Applause) But, as I’ve learned from Richard, the technology, the processors, the sensors, the motors, is not the story.
(掌声) 但是,我从理查德那学到, 技术,处理器,传感器,电动机, 并不重要。
89.I hadn’t dealt with this kind of problem or frankly, this whole segment of the medical world.
我没有关心这些方面的问题, 或者说,这整个与医学相关的 部分我都没有关心。
90.I’ll give you some astounding things that have happened as we started this.
我要讲一些在我们开始做义肢时发生的 惊人的事。
91.After we were pretty much convinced we had a good design, and we’d have to make all the standard engineering trade-offs you always make —
在我们确信我们设计得很好了后, 我们还需要做所有工程师都做的取舍。
92.you can always get three out of four of anything you want; the weight, the size, the cost, the functionality — I put a bunch of guys in my plane
通常你可以从四样想要的东西中选出三样来, 比如在重量,大小,花费,功能里进行挑选。 我把一帮人带上了飞机,
93.and I said, “We’re flying down to Walter Reed, and we’re going talk to these kids, because frankly it doesn’t matter whether we like this arm.
我告诉他们我们现在要去沃尔特里德医院,去和那些孩子们聊天。 因为实际上无论我们喜不喜欢这个手臂都不要紧。
94.It doesn’t matter whether the Department of Defense likes this arm.”
国防部喜不喜欢这个手臂 也不要紧。
95.When I told them that they weren’t entirely enthusiastic, but I told them, “It really doesn’t matter what their opinion is.
在我说的时候,他们并不感兴趣。 但是我说,他们的观点如何一点也不重要。
96.There is only one opinion that matters, the kids that are either going to use it or not.”
重点只有一个, 那些孩子们会不会用这个手臂。
97.I told a bunch of my engineers, “Look we’re going to walk into Walter Reed, and you’re going to see people, lots of them, missing major body parts.
我告诉我的工程师们,”我们要去沃尔特里德医院, 在那里,你们会看到很多 失去了身体重要部分的人。
98.They’re probably going to be angry, depressed, frustrated.
这些人可能是愤怒的,消沉的,沮丧的。
99.We’re probably going to have to give them support, encouragement.
所以我们需要给他们支持和鼓励,
100.But we’ve got to extract from them enough information to make sure we’re doing the right thing.”
但我们要从他们那儿获取足够的信息 以保证我们现在所做的事情是正确的。
101.We walked into Walter Reed and I could not have been more wrong.
当我们走进沃尔特里德医院时,我发现自己大错特错了。
102.We did see a bunch of people, a lot of them missing a lot of body parts, and parts they had left were burned; half a face gone, an ear burned off.
我们的确见到了很多人。 其中有很多人失去了身体的众多部件, 而剩下的部分还被烧伤了, 有的半张脸没有了,或是一只耳朵烧掉了。
103.They were sitting at a table. They were brought together for us.
他们被带来这里,坐在一张桌子旁与我们聊天。
104.And we started asking them all questions.
我们问了他们很多我们想知道的事。
105.”Look,” I’d say to them, “We’re not quite as good as nature yet.
“看,”我告诉他们,“我们还没有像造物主那么厉害。
106.I could give you fine motor control, or I could let you curl 40 pounds; I probably can’t do both.
我可以给你们良好的运动控制系统, 或者我可以让你们举起40磅, 但是我恐怕不能同时完成这两项。
107.I can give you fast control with low reduction ratios in these gears, or I can give you power; I can’t give you both.
我可以给你们带低损耗率传动装置的 快速控制系统, 或者我可以给你们力量, 但我不能同时完成这两项。
108.And we were trying to get them to all help us know what to give them.
我们尝试着让他们告诉我们 他们到底需要什么。
109.Not only were they enthusiastic, they kept thinking they’re there to help us.
他们不但很感兴趣,而且不断地考虑 怎样才能帮到我们。
110.”Well, would it help if I …”
”这样能起到帮助吗….”
111.”Guys, and woman, you’ve given enough.
大家听我说, 你们给予的够多了。
112.We’re here to help you. We need data. We need to know what you need.”
我们来这是为了帮助你们。我们需要数据,我们需要知道 你们想要什么。
113.After a half an hour, maybe, there was one guy at the far end of the table who wasn’t saying much.
半个小时左右后,有一个坐在桌子远端的人 没有说上什么。
114.You could see he was missing an arm.
他失去了一只手臂。
115.He was leaning on his other arm.
而他正用另一只手撑着脑袋
116.I called down to the end, “Hey, you haven’t said much.
我叫他说,“嘿,你还没有说什么呢,
117.If we needed this or this, what would you want?”
如果是这个或这个,你想要哪一个?”
118.And he said, “You know, I’m the lucky guy at this table.
然后他说,“你知道吗, 我是这个桌子上的幸运儿。
119.I lost my right arm, but I’m a lefty.”
我失去了我的右臂, 但是我是个左撇子。”
120.(Laughter) So, he wouldn’t say much.
(笑声) 所以,他没有怎么说话。

ted演讲稿中英文对照

DeanKamen_谈发明与施与【中英文对照】

2024-3-19 13:24:27

ted演讲稿中英文对照

DeanOrnish_世界的致命饮食【中英文对照】

2024-3-19 13:25:55

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索