DanielLibeskind_建筑的十七种奇想【中英文对照】

1.I’ll start with my favorite muse, Emily Dickinson, who said that wonder is not knowledge, neither is it ignorance.
我的缪斯,美国女诗人艾蜜莉狄金森这么说 她说:奇想不是来自知识,也不是来自无知
2.It’s something which is suspended between what we believe we can be, and a tradition we may have forgotten.
而是一种悬念 悬吊在在我们的自我认知 和我们已经遗忘的传统中
3.And I think, when I listen to these incredible people here, I’ve been so inspired, so many incredible ideas, so many visions.
从屋子里的这些出色的演讲中 我得到了许多灵感,看到许多可能性
4.And yet, when I look at the environment outside, you see how resistant architecture is to change.
但是当我往外一看 我们看到的建筑是多么死板
5.You see how resistant it is to those very ideas.
多么抗拒这些新观点
6.We can think them out. We can create incredible things.
我们创造了这些神奇的事物
7.And yet, at the the end, it’s so hard to change a wall.
但最终 连改变一道墙都是这么困难。
8.We applaud the well-mannered box.
我们赞同这些一板一眼的盒子
9.But to create a space that never existed is what interests me.
但我只对创造那些前所未有的空间感兴趣
10.To create something that has never been.
那些史无前例的
11.A space that we have never entered except in our minds and our spirits.
那些只存在我们的心灵和想象中的空间
12.And I think that’s really what architecture is based on.
我认为那才是建筑的本质
13.Architecture is not based on concrete and steel and the elements of the soil.
建筑不是建立在水泥 钢铁,和泥土
14.It’s based on wonder.
而是建立在奇想上。
15.And that wonder is really what has created the greatest cities, the greatest spaces that we have had.
是奇想创建了伟大的城市 和伟大的空间。
16.And I think that is indeed what architecture is. It is a story.
我认为建筑便是如此。建筑是一个故事
17.By the way, it is a story that is told through its hard materials.
建筑是一个借着 实体来诉说的故事
18.But it is a story of effort and struggle against improbabilities.
它也是一个和不可能 拔河及挣扎的故事。
19.If you think of the great buildings, of the the cathedrals, of the temples, of the pyramids, of pagodas, of cities in India and beyond,
想想那些伟大的建筑,大教堂,庙宇 金字塔,宝塔 印度的那些城市之类
20.You think of how incredible this is that that was realized not by some abstract idea, but by people.
这些不可思议的城市和建筑不是来自 一个模糊的概念,而是人
21.So, anything that has been made can be unmade.
所有建立的都能被重建
22.Anything that has been made can be made better.
所有矗立的都能更完美
23.There it is: the things that I really believe are are of important architecture.
这些是我认为对建筑来说 真正重要的事。
24.These are the dimensions that I like to work with.
我期待能在这些概念范围下创作
25.It’s something very personal.
这是非常个人的
26.It’s not, perhaps, the dimensions appreciated by art critics or architecture critics or  city planners.
这大概不是评论家会喜欢的概念 建筑评论家,城市设计者大概也不苟同
27.But I think these are the necessary oxygen for us to live in buildings, to live in cities, to connect ourselves in a social space.
但我认为当我们生活在建筑里,城市里 和公共空间有所联系时 它们就像空气一样必要。
28.And I therefore believe that optimism is what drives architecture forward.
我认为乐观是建筑的推进力
29.It’s the only profession where you have to believe in the future.
建筑是唯一需要相信未来的专业
30.You can be an general, a politician, an economist who is depressed, a musician in a minor key, a painter in dark colors.
你可以做一个悲观的将军、政治家、或是经济学者 一个忧郁的音乐家、一个阴暗的画家
31.But architecture is that complete ecstasy that the future can be better.
但建筑师应该狂喜地期盼着美好未来
32.And it is that belief that I think drives society.
我相信这就是社会进步的原因
33.And today we have a kind of evangelical pessimism all around us.
今日我们被悲观的说法包围
34.And yet it is in times like this that I think architecture can thrive with big ideas.
但就算在这样的时代 我仍然相信建筑可以为一个伟大的目的而奋斗
35.Ideas that are not small. Think of the great cities.
想想那些伟大的城市
36.Think of the Empire State Building, the Rockefeller Center.
想想帝国大厦、或是洛克菲勒中心
37.They were built in times that were not really the best of times in a certain way.
它们都是建立在 那些绝非最好的时机
38.And yet that energy and power of architecture has driven an entire social and political space that these buildings occupy.
但建筑的精神和力量 领导着这些社会和政治
39.So again, I am a believer in the expressive.
我也相信建筑是一种表现
40.I have never been a fan of the neutral.
我从来不喜欢中立
41.I don’t like neutrality in life, in anything.
我不喜欢在人生,或任何事情中中立
42.I think expression.
表现
43.And it’s like espresso coffee. You know, you take the essence of the coffee.
就像蒸馏咖啡,它汲取咖啡的精髓
44.That’s what expression is.
这就是表现。
45.It’s been missing in much of the architecture because we think architecture is the realm of the neutered, the realm of the kind of a state that has no opinion,
很多建筑都缺少这种精神 因为我们认为建筑是一个中立的领域 一个没有看法的领域
46.that has no value.
也没有价值观
47.And yet, I believe it is the expression, expression of the city, expression of our own space, that gives meaning to architecture.
但我相信表现 一个城市和个人空间的表现 赋予建筑意义
48.And, of course, expressive spaces are not mute.
那些表现空间不是哑的
49.Expressive spaces are not spaces that simply confirm what we already know.
表现空间不只是 表达那些我们已经知道的事情
50.Expressive spaces may disturb us.
表现空间可能会让我们不安
51.And I think that’s also part of life.
但我认为那也是生命中的一部分
52.Life is not just an anesthetic to make us smile.
人生不应该只是麻木的微笑
53.But to reach out across the abyss of history, to places we have never been, and would have perhaps been, had we not been so lucky.
而是越过历史的深渊 到一些未竟之地 如果我们不试,可能也无法到达的境地。
54.So again, radical versus conservative.
激进和保守
55.Radical, what does it mean? It’s something which is rooted.
激进是什么意思?这是有根据的
56.And something that is rooted deep in a tradition.
在建筑的传统里
57.And I think that is what architecture is, it’s radical.
我认为这就是建筑的意义,激进
58.It’s not just a conservation in formaldehyde of dead forms.
而不是一些死去的形态 安全地包装在传统里
59.It is actually a living connection to the cosmic event that we are part of, and a story that is certainly ongoing.
它是一个活生生的 与宇宙的关联性 一个正在进行的故事
60.It’s not something that has a good ending or a bad ending.
不是一个好结局或是坏结局
61.It’s actually a story in which our acts themselves are pushing the story in a particular way.
而是我们正参与着的故事 我们的行为影响着故事
62.So again I am a believer in the radical architecture.
我是个激进建筑的信徒
63.You know the Soviet architecture of the that building is the conservation.
你们都见过苏联的建筑 那就是传统
64.It’s like the old Las Vegas used to be.
那就像过去的拉斯韦加斯
65.It’s about conserving emotions, conserving the traditions that have obstructed the mind in moving forward and of course what is radical is to confront them.
保存情绪,保存传统 阻碍我们的思想进步 激进便是面对这些保守
66.And I think our architecture is a confrontation with our own senses.
建筑便是以我们的知觉 去面对
67.Therefore I believe it should not be cool.
所以我认为它不该是冷酷的
68.There is a lot of appreciation for the kind of cool architecture.
许多人喜欢那种冷酷的建筑
69.I’ve always been an opponent of it. I think emotion is needed.
我总是反对。我认为情绪是必须的
70.Life without emotion would really not be life.
没有情绪的人生便不是人生
71.Even the mind is emotional.
甚至我们的思想都是情绪化的
72.There is no reason which does not take position in the ethical sphere, in the philosophical mystery of what we are.
没理由它不能出现在我们的伦理观 或用以哲学地解释我们是谁
73.So I think emotion is a dimension that is important to introduce into city space, into city life.
我认为情绪是一个次元 将它带进城市空间、城市生活非常重要
74.And of course, we are all about the struggle of emotions.
我们都在情绪中挣扎
75.And I think that is what makes the world a wondrous place.
我认为着也是世界神奇的地方
76.And of course, the confrontation of the cool, the unemotional with emotion, is a conversation that I think cities themselves have fostered.
冷酷无感和情绪之间的对峙 便是一种城市 所兼容的对话。
77.I think that is the progress of cities.
城市的进步
78.It’s not only the forms of cities, but the fact that they incarnate emotions, not just of those who build them, but of those who live there as well.
不只是城市的形态 而是这些情绪的具体化 不只是那些盖这些建筑的人 更是那些居民的情绪。
79.Inexplicable versus understood. You know, too often we want to understand everything.
神秘,那些不言自明的。我们往往想了解所有事
80.But architecture is not the language of words.
但建筑不是一种有文字的语言
81.It’s a language. But it is not a language that can be reduced to a series of programatic notes that we can verbally write.
它是一个语言,但不是一种能被简化为 一些问题百出的文字的语言
82.Too many buildings that you see outside that are so banal tell you a story, but the story is very short.
外面有太多平庸的建筑 它诉说故事,故事很短
83.Which says, “We have no story to tell you.”
它说“我无话可说”
84.(Laughter) So the important thing actually, is to introduce the actual architectural dimensions, which might be totally inexplicable in words.
(笑声) 重要的是 带进一种难以言喻的 建筑次元
85.Because they operate in proportions, in materials, in light.
这语言是以比例、面积 材质、光线组成的
86.They connect themselves into various sources, into a kind of complex vector matrix that isn’t really frontal but is really embedded in the lives,
它们以不同元素组成 像一种复杂的矢量矩阵 它不是平铺直述 但深入我们的生活
87.and in the history of a city, and of a people.
与一个城市的历史,居民的历史
88.So again, the notion that a building should just be explicit I think is a false notion, which has reduced architecture into banality.
那些认为建筑应该直截了当的想法 我认为是错误的 那只能把建筑简化为平庸
89.Hand versus the computer.
手绘和电子计算
90.Of course, what would we be without computers?
当然,今日谁能不用电子计算机呢?
91.Our whole practice depends on computing.
我们依赖电子计算机来实践许多想法
92.But the computer should not just be the glove of the hand, the hand should really be the driver of the computing power.
但计算机应该像是手套 手才是真正赐予计算机力量的东西
93.Because I believe that the hand in all its primitive, in all its physiological obscurity, has a source, though the source is unknown,
因为我相信手 在它原始的、生理的难解下 仍然有种力量。虽然我们不知从何而来
94.though we don’t have to be mystical about it, we realize that the hand has been given us by forces that are beyond our own autonomy.
虽然我们不需要故作神秘 我们知道手是由 一种超越我们能力的力量所赐予
95.And I think when I draw drawings which may imitate the computer, but are not computer drawings, drawings that can come from sources
我用手描绘的时候 它有可能在模拟计算机,但它仍不同与计算机所绘 它是来自于
96.that are completely not known, not normal, not seen, Yet the hand — and that’s what I really, to all of you  who are working — how can we make the computer respond to our hand
一种未见,未知,无解的力量 我想告诉在这个领域工作的你们 如何让计算机根据手来描绘
97.rather than the hand responding to the computer.
而不是手根据计算机来描绘
98.I think that’s part of what the complexity of architecture is.
我想这也是建筑复杂的一部分
99.Because certainly we have gotten used to the propaganda that the simple is the good. But I don’t believe it.
因为我们都太习惯于 简单为上的束缚啊。但我不这么想
100.Listening to all of you, the complexity of thought, the complexity of layers of meaning is overwhelming.
听你们演讲,这些复杂的思考 这些意义的多重层次是惊人的
101.And I think we shouldn’t shy away in architecture, You know, brain surgery, atomic theory, genetics, economics are complex complex fields.
我们不该在建筑上逃避 脑科手术、原子论 遗传学、经济学 都是一些非常复杂的领域
102.There is no reason that architecture should shy away and present this illusory world of the simple.
建筑不该逃避 去呈现一个虚假的简单世界
103.It is complex. Space is complex.
世界是复杂的。空间是复杂的。
104.Space is something that folds out of itself into completly new worlds.
空间将自己摺叠成一个新世界
105.And as wondrous as it is, it can not be reduced to a kind of simplification that we have often come to be admired.
它如此神奇 它不能被简化成那些 我们往往过分赞扬的作品。
106.And yet, our lives are complex.
我们的生活是复杂的
107.Our emotions are complex.
我们的情绪是复杂的
108.Our intellectual desires are complex.
我们的智趣是复杂的
109.So I do believe that architecture as I see it needs to mirror that complexity in every single space that we have, in every intimacy that we posses.
我相信建筑应该反应那些 环绕我们的复杂 在我们所有的亲密空间
110.Of course that means that architecture is political.
这代表着建筑是政治的
111.The political is not an enemy of architecture.
政治不是建筑的敌人
112.The [unclear] is the city.  It’s all of us together.
政治是城市,是我们所有人
113.And I’ve always believed that the act of architecture, even a private house, when somebody else will see it, is a political act.
我往往相信建筑本身 就算是私人住宅,当有人见到它,便成为一个政治行为
114.Because it will be visible to others.
因为他人也可以看见
115.And we live in a world which is connecting us more and more.
住在一个彼此越来越有关联的世界
116.So again, the evasion of that sphere which has been so endemic to that that sort of pure architecture, the autonomous architecture that is just an abstract object
逃避这个层面 而普遍的选择一种纯粹建筑 那种看上去像个抽象物件,出于自发的建筑,
117.has never appealed to me.
我从来不感兴趣
118.And I do believe that this interaction with the history, with history that is often very difficult, to grapple with it, to create a position that is beyond our normal expectations and to create a critique.
我相信与历史产生的相互作用 和历史对话是困难的 尝试掌握它,创造一个 超越一般预设的立场,成为一种评判
119.Because architecture is also the asking of questions.
因为建筑不只是给答案
120.It’s not only the giving of answers.
同时也在发问
121.It’s also, just like life, the asking of questions.
像人生一样。
122.Therefore it is important that it be real.
重要的是保持真实
123.You know we can simulate almost anything.
今日我们几乎可以模拟所有东西
124.But the one thing that can be ever simulated is the human heart, the human soul.
但有一件事是永远不能模拟的 便是人心,便是人的灵魂
125.And architecture is so closely intertwined with it because we are born somewhere and we die somewhere.
建筑和它们息息相关 因为我们生于建筑,死于建筑
126.So the reality of architecture is visceral. It’s not intellectual.
真正的建筑出自内心,而不是来自学识
127.It’s not something that comes to us from books and theories.
不是来自书本或理论
128.It’s the real, that we touch, the door, the window, the threshold, the bed.
是我们可触碰的真实,一扇门,一扇窗 门槛,床
129.Such prosaic objects. And yet, I try, in every building, to take that virtual world, which is so enigmatic and so rich, and create something in the real world.
这些平凡的物件 我在每个作品中尝试把这个 深奥又多元的虚拟世界 带进真实世界中
130.Create a space for an office, a space of sustainability that really works between that virtuality and yet can be realized as something real.
创造一个办公环境 一个永续空间 存在于虚拟世界中 也能在真实世界中存在
131.Unexpected versus habitual.
意外和习惯
132.What is a habit? It’s just a shackle for ourselves.
习惯是什么?不过是一个束缚
133.It’s a self-induced poison.
拿来饮鸩止渴的毒药

ted演讲稿中英文对照

DanielKraft_发明了更好采集骨髓的仪器【中英文对照】

2024-3-17 19:10:45

ted演讲稿中英文对照

DavidAgus_抗癌斗争的新策略【中英文对照】

2024-3-17 19:12:45

0 条回复 A文章作者 M管理员
    暂无讨论,说说你的看法吧
个人中心
购物车
优惠劵
今日签到
有新私信 私信列表
搜索